Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!"

+2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yum, Norm........YYYYYUUUUUMMMMMMMM!!!

NormM likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

(I've tried to post this for Lore 3 times.....wish me luck one last time that it doesn't just drop me off site......PHEW! It finally posted.....)

"Saturday was 90 year old uncle’s party. Actual b-day is today. Great party, lots of food and even a dance for me with uncle!"

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 5 10_25_11

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 5 10_25_12

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 5 10_25_13

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 5 10_25_14

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 5 10_25_15

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Hello, I'm back since last Saturday evening, I did not get on this forum since I was away, I did not bring my laptop with me. I had a good time with my family and friends there, though everybody there was still cautious of Covid virus, we had our masks on every time we went out in public.

I hope every members on this forum are doing well

The day before my departure day, I threw out my back, I think because of me pulling a heavy luggage, but I went on with my trip, on impulse I called the airline and requested wheelchair assistance, I was glad I did, the pain got more intense during the long flight, and the walk to the boarding gate and terminal were so far, I would not be able to walk on my feet. These 2 days the pain is on and off, mostly when I got up from bed or change my sleep position, other than that I'm fine. I even cooked these 3 days, easy cooking, the first day I browned some Jimmy Dean sausage, added a couple cans of chili beans, ate it with steamed rice, yesterday I roasted our homegrown butternut squash with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder. after it tender, I added the shrimps, spread on rice, D told me, his mom finished her lunch in a flash Smile . And today I brown some Italian sausage, added some onion, carrots and cabbage, s&p, with some wine vinegar and maple syrup, we ate it with the rest of our rice. I think after 6 weeks they miss my fresh home cooking Embarassed

Thank you Beth for thinking of me <3

bethk

bethk
Admin

Welcome home, Imelda!

I'm so sorry you pulled a muscle in your back.....check in with your doctor and see if there is something that can be done to help with the healing.....and REST. That's probably the thing you need the most.

You have been missed for sure!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yesterday I drove Lyn to Orlando to have her car serviced. It's never a chore as we look forward to having a day to shop & go to brunch and just spend time messing around.

Our last shopping stop was at the International Market where I could get a few things to stock my pantry.

I first picked up a bag of butter baby bok choy ~ love that the plants are so little and tender. I also got a huge bag of really fresh looking bean sprouts. Both of those will be used for tonight's supper, yet I'm not sure what it will be.....

I finally found a small package of Sichuan Peppers, something I've wanted to try using. I'll need to do some research to find the best uses, to be sure. And another item on my 'I-Want-To-Try' list ~ black vinegar. Again, research is in order to determine what to use it with. And I replenished my supply of Rice Vinegar and Black Soy Sauce.

If anyone can think of something really tasty to use my baby bok choy and bean sprouts, in the next hour or so, give me a shout out and help me come up with an idea! LOL

JanaAZ

Imelda HL wrote:Hello, I'm back since last Saturday evening, I did not get on this forum since I was away, I did not bring my laptop with me. I had a good time with my family and friends there, though everybody there was still cautious of Covid virus, we had our masks on every time we went out in public.

The day before my departure day, I threw out my back, I think because of me pulling a heavy luggage, but I went on with my trip, on impulse I called the airline and requested wheelchair assistance, I was glad I did, the pain got more intense during the long flight, and the walk to the boarding gate and terminal were so far, I would not be able to walk on my feet. These 2 days the pain is on and off, mostly when I got up from bed or change my sleep position, other than that I'm fine. I even cooked these 3 days, easy cooking, the first day I browned some Jimmy Dean sausage, added a couple cans of chili beans, ate it with steamed rice, yesterday I roasted our homegrown butternut squash with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder. after it tender, I added the shrimps, spread on rice, D told me, his mom finished her lunch in a flash Smile . And today I brown some Italian sausage, added some onion, carrots and cabbage, s&p, with some wine vinegar and maple syrup, we ate it with the rest of our rice. I think after 6 weeks they miss my fresh home cooking Embarassed

Welcome back. Sorry about your back. I just got back from Italy and threw out my back too. I wasn’t smart enough to order a wheelchair. I could hardly walk off the plane after the first 10 hour flight. I’ll have to remember that next time

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Welcome back to you, as well, Judy!

I can't wait to watch you post about your trip and amazing foods you enjoyed!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was SO looking forward to the baby bok choy & fresh bean sprouts ~ and it was DELICIOUS!!!! I didn't really need any protein with it but HE expects some sort of meat so the chicken thighs were fine. I trimmed them of all the excess fat clumps and cut everything in bite size pieces. I coated the chicken in some cornstarch before I browned it in the hot oil. That little bit of cornstarch was enough to thicken the sauce just a bit without it being thick and gloopy (that's a technical cooking term....LOL).
WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 5 10_26_14

The basmati rice was perfect ~ I didn't add too much water this time and I was very happy with how it tasted.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I was out of commission all day. Sunday, the GGD was sitting on my lap and ** Ah Chew**
She blew a Sneeze right into my face.... gerrrrrr!!!!!! Guess who now has a cold?
Yup! I'm living on mucinex and tons of tissues.
I had leftover chicken soup for supper, and Tina had breaded shrimp she got at a diner while shopping today..... Crying or Very sad

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:Hello, I'm back since last Saturday evening, I did not get on this forum since I was away, I did not bring my laptop with me. I had a good time with my family and friends there, though everybody there was still cautious of Covid virus, we had our masks on every time we went out in public.

Feel better Imelda. Sounds like you pulled your sciatic nerve. I get them a lot. The doctor said always lift or pull as you face forward. Never push or lift sidewise..... also, do stretching exercises to get relief.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

Welcome back, Imelda! I always enjoy your food pictures, they always looks so artistic and YUMMY! As do everyone's!

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Last night. My ‘stacked’ dish made in the triangular forms I found on Amazon. Unfortunately they are only 2.5 in tall, my friend in bc has taller ones. The foods used were sushi rice, mango, cucumber, tomato, smoked salmon, shrimp, dill, and a drizzle of Balsamico on top.  Should have used something sweet like a chutney as a glue. Salad as a base.  Not bad, but I need practice!"

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 5 10_26_15

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 5 10_26_16

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 5 10_26_17

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 5 10_26_18

Last edited by bethk on Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

bethk

bethk
Admin

Your salad looks VERY artistic.....love that you 'play-with-your-food' ! I can tell from your 'story pictures' what you did & used and how you did it. Great!

Just a suggestion.....('cause I'm no photographer....) when you take your last pic take it from the same level as the plate so we can see the height of the food.....maybe move the lettuce from the edge of the stack a bit.

But it really does look yummy!

Cookin Lore

Thanks.  I did take a picture at the side, thought I had included it.  Will send another one.

Last edited by Cookin Lore on Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I pulled the last of the frozen shrimps out of the freezer to thaw so I can remove the shells & devein them. I think I'm just going to saute them with a bit of the cajun seasoning. I want to use the second half of the baby bok choy & bean sprouts because they are SO good and I don't want them to go to waste. If I lived closer I'd be there a couple times a week buying the fresh vegetables from the International Market.

Cookin Lore

[quote="bethk"](I've tried to post this for Lore 3 times.....wish me luck one last time that it doesn't just drop me off site......PHEW!  It finally posted.....)

"Saturday was 90 year old uncle’s party. Actual b-day is today. Great party, lots of food and even a dance for me with uncle!"

url]

I think maybe the reason you had a problem posting is that one of them was a very short video of Uncle and me dancing!  He and his late wife were phenominal dancers, I've had many lovely dances with him! Always ballroom type!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight, baby back ribs with a sauce I made up using a combination of three I had. But , the new thing was SUNCHOKES. Never saw them in a grocery store before. Don’t know if I told here before, but my family history, although German, is actually fro Romania. My mom told us that when they had severe winters, and potatoes were all gone, they would dig out these roots and use them. They are actually a type of sunflower."

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 5 10_27_12

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was one healthy meal! I meant to add some butter to the shrimp in the pan at the last minute but forgot....and I don't think we missed it one bit. The leftover rice (a small amount for each of us) was perfect to soak up the little bit of 'sauce' I made to steam the baby bok choy & bean sprouts.

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 5 10_27_13

NormM

NormM

Charlie made dinner tonight. It is a Korean dark chicken meat dish.WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 5 Img_0310

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Had to move a ham slice in the freezer this morning ~ so.....as long as I touched it I figured I might as well make it for supper.

So, ham & scalloped potatoes is on the menu.

Glad the decision is made ~ that's the hardest part!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I should have cooked the ham separately from the scalloped potatoes.....the moisture from the ham made the whole thing sloppy.....tasty but sloppy.

But we managed to eat our fill and it wasn't terrible ~ just could have been much better.

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 5 10_28_15

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina went shopping today, and ate at a diner. I had a burger on white bread toast ; with onion and slice of cheese.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

I only "found" scallopped potatoes a few years ago.  I started making them when my DIL's mother was not well and that the family loved them  I was told that scallopped potatoes with ham were a family favourite, so I chopped up ham and cooked them together.  BIG mistake, her mother couldn't eat ham, it caused digestive issues.  Lisa's dad loved them.  My sister's family also loves them, but they were foreign to me.  Have made them a few times, and nobody has complained lately.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lore, growing up on a farm in Ohio, scalloped potatoes & ham was a regular menu rotation.  Every year there would be a half a slaughtered hog in the freezer and somehow there would be at least 3 or 4 hams....I thought there were only two hams on the entire animal ~ LOL!

But the hams we had growing up did not have the amount of water injected as the ones sold today.  I KNEW the ham should have been cooked apart so the potatoes didn't get watered down but had a memory lapse and messed up.

Maybe next time I'll get it right.....

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking here tonight.

Jim just called and asked if we wanted to go out for an early supper ~ ~ so rude to refuse his invitation.

LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum