Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!"

+2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 6]

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"But not mine, tonight. I met my son at his brewpub for dinner. I had a pulled pork sandwich and French onion soup, forgot to take a picture, so I thought I’d send this picture. It’s their Charcouterie board for 4. Son Danny made the board! It’s served with a baguette not in the picture."

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 3 10_14_16

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Ohhh! Lore, that cold cut/cheese board looks divine!

I'm so happy to see restaurants returning to serving something so delicious and artfully presented! Danny has a gold mine there!

(( Now if restaurants would return to the practice of bringing a small vegetable selection with the bread basket.....I'd be in heaven..... ))

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I'm thinking of stuffed portabella mushrooms; which I have plenty of. WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 3 2760260870

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I'm thinking of stuffed portabella mushrooms; which I have plenty of. WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 3 2760260870

What are you going to stuff them with?

The last time our neighbor's, Jim, daughter was here we went out to one of the country clubs for supper. She was all excited to order the stuffed mushroom appetizer....said she had never had anything so delicious. I took one look and just said, "That's just some boursin cheese ~ look for the Alouette Garlic & Herb cheese in the deli at the grocery store...."

She found the cheese spread and made her own 'stuffed mushrooms' and has been happy ever since.

It never ceases to me that some people don't know most of the 'recipes' at a restaurant can be easily duplicated.....

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight I'm naming my supper 'The Tan Supper' for it's boring brown toned dishes.....

Chicken chunks with whatever the Asian sauce is that I made and stored in the refrigerator, reheated butternut squash and creamed corn......

It was tasty enough but the color was stiffling to me......

I had planned on some green beans but when I went to snip them I found only the top of the package (that was visible when purchased) was decent ~ the beans in the middle of the bag were spoiled and not anything I would sort through to serve......

And I'm already stressing about what I can fix for tomorrow.....cooking funk in full blown reaction right now..........

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 3 10_15_19

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Ohhh! Lore, that cold cut/cheese board looks divine!

I'm so happy to see restaurants returning to serving something so delicious and artfully presented!  Danny has a gold mine there!

(( Now if restaurants would return to the practice of bringing a small vegetable selection with the bread basket.....I'd be in heaven.....   ))

Thanks. I wouldn't call it a gold mine yet, but so far, it's doing well. They have repeat customers who come in for their favourites, and that, I think is a very good thing. They are fortunate that they have found some young people for the kitchen who are really interested in doing things a little differently. There are no expectations of what was done before and my son and his partners are happy to let their staff do their thing.(Within reason, of course) A couple of weeks ago a local farmer, former neighbour of ours, had an abundance of butternut squash and corn, so the week's lunch special became butternut squash and corn chowder. It was really good.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I'm thinking of stuffed portabella mushrooms; which I have plenty of. WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 3 2760260870

What are you going to stuff them with?  

The last time our neighbor's, Jim, daughter was here we went out to one of the country clubs for supper.  She was all excited to order the stuffed mushroom appetizer....said she had never had anything so delicious.  I took one look and just said, "That's just some boursin cheese ~ look for the Alouette Garlic & Herb cheese in the deli at the grocery store...."

She found the cheese spread and made her own 'stuffed mushrooms' and has been happy ever since.  

It never ceases to me that some people don't know most of the 'recipes' at a restaurant can be easily duplicated.....

I usually stuff them with bread crumbs, onion, garlic, minced, wilted spinach, bell pepper diced. Parmesan cheese grated; beef broth and then stuff the mushrooms, and topped with grated mozzarella.
I put diced celery in mine because Tina doesn't like celery in anything.

Todays stuffed mushrooms never happened. Tina got her shingles shot yesterday and she was aching and had the chills. I wasn't going to make them for one. That's ok....... there is always tomorrow. So around 5:00 pm
I made her a personal pizza on an 8 inch pita bread, and she enjoyed it.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I took my last rib eye steak out of the freezer to thaw in the refrigerator last night ~ finished it up on the countertop for a bit this morning and now it's back in the refrigerator until time to let it warm up to grill tonight.

Not sure what I'll make as a side....I'm thinking the zucchini (yellow & green) that are in the drawer would be just fine as vegetable 'spaghetti' and then I wouldn't need anything else. That's probably what I'll make.

But it's always subject to change......

LOL

Cookin Lore

I stopped at a local market that always has nice lamb chops. So, lamb chops tonight. Anyone know how to do the lovely roasted potatoes that we get in Greek restaurants?

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:I stopped at a local market that always has nice lamb chops.  So, lamb chops tonight.  Anyone know how to do the lovely roasted potatoes that we get in Greek restaurants?

Lore, I've made the Melting Roasted Potatoes.....they're delicious. I would follow the basic recipe (I think I just sliced my potatoes into thick slices....) and then I'd add some lemon juice to the chicken broth and use Greek oregano as a seasoning.

They take a while to bake but really are worth the time.....

Oh, and I think I stuck them under the broiler to get a bit of brown & crisp at the end ~ it's been a while since I've made them.

Here's a link to a recipe I've used:

https://www.melskitchencafe.com/melting-roasted-potatoes/

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Plans were to make a roast pork tenderloin with stuffing and red jarred cinnamon sliced apples on top the pork. But we opted to cook that tomorrow. I will prep the stuffing later, and re-fridge it.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:I stopped at a local market that always has nice lamb chops.  So, lamb chops tonight.  Anyone know how to do the lovely roasted potatoes that we get in Greek restaurants?

Lore, I've made the Melting Roasted Potatoes.....they're delicious.  I would follow the basic recipe (I think I just sliced my potatoes into thick slices....) and then I'd add some lemon juice to the chicken broth and use Greek oregano as a seasoning.

They take a while to bake but really are worth the time.....

Oh, and I think I stuck them under the broiler to get a bit of brown & crisp at the end ~ it's been a while since I've made them.

Here's a link to a recipe I've used:

https://www.melskitchencafe.com/melting-roasted-potatoes/

Thanks, those sound really good. However, I saw another recipe in which you braise the potatoes first in the broth, then finish, and I have started doing that. Hopefully, they wiil work our too!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was the grilled ribeye, vegetable spaghetti and cole slaw (used the last of the cabbage). There was one bite of steak left and neither of us could eat it......I think we're both full!

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 3 10_16_14

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Greek Dinner Tonight!  Lamb chops, broccoli and roasted potatoes, Greek style. I thought I knew all about potatoes, but these were amazing. First braised in chicken broth, lemon juice and some oil. Then when not quite done, remove from the liquid, and in the oven to roast until crispy and golden brown!  Really good."

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 3 10_16_10

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I made the stuffed portabella mushrooms. I know they needed salt, but Tina just salted hers. I have to watch sodium intake. The main thing is, she enjoyed them; so that's what matters.... WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 3 1f60a

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I asked for a suggestion for supper and HE finally came up with something (a) that I had in the freezer, (b) could be thawed & cooked in the same day and (c) actually sounded good to me!

So, we're having the last of the grouper. Normally HE would get salmon but there is no more salmon in the freezer so grouper will do just fine for him. I'll do my usual slather of mayo and smush in panko crumbs before a drizzle of olive oil and drop on the grill mat on the gas grill.

I just got back from the store ~ I wanted some fresh vegetables. I think I found some nice green beans (they're in a CLEAR bag so I can see they're not wet nor moldy). I also picked up a couple packages of baby fingerling potatoes that were BOGO so the price was reasonable. I think I'll start them out in the microwave and then finish them up on the gas grill tonight.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was a success.....He ate every bite!

The grouper was really good. And the beans were fresh and not 'old' tasting. The fingerling potatoes were creamy on the inside and just a bit crispy on the outside ~ done in a cast iron skillet on the stovetop.

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 3 10_17_14

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

DD made beef stew with carrots, and potatoes, and baked yellow squash !

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm taking the 'easy' way out tonight ~ I was at WalMart and decided (as I was walking out with my purchased groceries) to suddenly pick up a rotisserie chicken.....and return to the check-out line with that one item.

I had gone to get some fresh kale to make Kale & White Bean Soup....but they had none. Well, to clarify: they had one bunch of kale but it was completely wilted and looked like it had been there for weeks. No way was I buying icky kale for the soup I'm hungry for!

On the way home I decided to make a quick stop at Fresh Market to get kale there.....nope. They had 3 bunches of kale but it was obviously old and yellowed around the edges.

Hopefully, tomorrow I'll be able to find some fresh kale at either WinnDixie or Publix. If not, there will be no Kale & White Bean Soup in my (near) future.....

(( sigh ))

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was pretty tasty.....especially considering there was little to no work involved. I microwaved the sweet potato (that we split) and finished it in the toaster oven as the chicken was reheating. The asparagus was the first good looking bunches I've seen in a long time ~ no slimey tips and no dried up stalks. There's enough leftover asparagus for me to make some creamed asparagus on toast for my lunch tomorrow or the day after.....a childhood favorite, to be sure!

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 3 10_18_14

NormM

NormM

The title of the recipe was Hungarian Mushroom soup. I served some cubed ham on the side incase anyone wanted to add meat.
WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 3 Img_0211

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Well ..... here are a few pics .... Pork tenderloin with the stuffing and sliced cinnamon apples. Tina took the pick of her 1/2 bushel of applesauce. There I am in the background leading the operation. Then I helped process the jars in the boiling water bath.
At the same time, DD was prepping the pork ribs/. And what a ruckus with 3 in one kitchen.
It was like a hungry cat, dog, and a bird, in the same cage.
Tomorrow, we will can the other 1/2 bushel.....

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 3 Img_2220
WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 3 Img_2221
WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 3 Img_3510

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

WOW! That's a lot of work!

And having 3 in a kitchen is 2 too many.......Hahahahahahaha!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:WOW!  That's a lot of work!

And having 3 in a kitchen is 2 too many.......Hahahahahahaha!

Just finished the rest of the bushel. I don't want to see another apple for at least a month......
We have a total of 36 pints hahaha. Now to find a place to store them; and believe me, the garage is packed with enough stuff. Rolling Eyes

bethk

bethk
Admin

Applesauce was always one my favorites to make.....I thought it was easy.  All I had to do was wash the apples and cut into quarters.  Then into the biggest pots in the house to cook ~ and cook and cook and cook ~ until they were completely mushy.

Then into the cone shaped food mill (at least that's what Grandma called it) and run the cone shaped wooden thingy around and around until nothing was left except the skins & seeds.  

It was as easy as making tomato juice.....same thing just different fruits.

This is kind of what mine looked like ~ it had been Grandma's, I started using it when I was a girl living on the farm and now DD#1 has it and uses it when she needs to. Of course SHE decided it was perfect to make mashed potatoes for a crowd ~ something I had never thought of!

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 3 10_19_13

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum