Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung! What's cooking?

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight will be Leftover Night ~ what better Mother's Day gift can I give myself than to empty out the refrigerator?

Neighbor Barb and her husband will be leaving on Wednesday and asked me on Saturday when I picked her up to go to Ladies' Lunch if I could use 3 bags of frozen peas and a tube of Crescent Rolls. They had picked up too much (actually, just didn't do much cooking while they were here.....) and she didn't want to just dump them if I could use them.

The peas will get used eventually ~ something I usually have. The crescent rolls......Hmmmmmm??? I'm not a huge fan. Then I remembered that old 'recipe' for apple dumplings made with Crescent Rolls. Why not? It's easy enough, to be sure. There are lots of 'recipes' for the dish ~ I just did a Google for 'Crescent Roll Apple Dumpling Recipe' and took my pick. Most called for two cans of Crescent rolls but it was easy enough to half the recipe. I did make my apple slices a bit larger than called for ~ my apples were small so I thought quartered was better than smaller bits.

If you decide to make the recipe as well, keep in mind that they swell up quite a bit so be sure to put the dish on a sheet pan in case you have spillage......since I just cleaned my oven that's the last thing I wanted to chance! LOL

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? - Page 2 05_08_19

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dessert wasn't as sweet as I thought it might be.....but one serving is all either of us will want.

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? - Page 2 05_08_20

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote: Tonight will be Leftover Night ~ what better Mother's Day gift can I give myself than to empty out the refrigerator?

Neighbor Barb and her husband will be leaving on Wednesday and asked me on Saturday when I picked her up to go to Ladies' Lunch if I could use 3 bags of frozen peas and a tube of Crescent Rolls.  They had picked up too much (actually, just didn't do much cooking while they were here.....) and she didn't want to just dump them if I could use them.

The peas will get used eventually ~ something I usually have.  The crescent rolls......Hmmmmmm???  I'm not a huge fan.  Then I remembered that old 'recipe' for apple dumplings made with Crescent Rolls.  Why not?  It's easy enough, to be sure.  There are lots of 'recipes' for the dish ~ I just did a Google for 'Crescent Roll Apple Dumpling Recipe' and took my pick.  Most called for two cans of Crescent rolls but it was easy enough to half the recipe.  I did make my apple slices a bit larger than called for ~ my apples were small so I thought quartered was better than smaller bits.  

If you decide to make the recipe as well, keep in mind that they swell up quite a bit so be sure to put the dish on a sheet pan in case you have spillage......since I just cleaned my oven that's the last thing I wanted to chance!  LOL

I can't believe it..... Tina made the crescent rolls that were going out of date last night with raspberry jam, and they were delicious for today's breakfast.

bethk likes this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Today was 'Oven Cleaning Day' at my house.  DD#1 is coming to visit for a couple days the end of the month and I didn't want her to see my dirty oven (although I doubt we'll even be here at the house for any meals.....).  But it was time to clean it anyway ~ I hate when it starts to 'smoke' when it's on preheat......LOL  (NO, it wasn't THAT bad ~ but close!)

I had Dane pull the range out from the wall so it wasn't next to the cabinets.  When it's on self-clean cycle it gets so hot I don't want to take a chance of setting the kitchen on fire.  I set it to clean for 3 hours and had the racks pulled out before I started.  The greasy racks get put into a big plastic bag outside and I pour about 4 gallons of hot water over and add about a cup of ammonia and tie the bag shut and just let it sit in the sun to stay warm.  Within an hour it's cooled down enough to open (the fresh air makes it much easier to wipe the racks down) and then, wearing gloves, I just use a little scrubbie pad to wipe the gunk off.  Nice and shiny!  I do give them another quick rinse down in the sink with detergent to get the last bits of whatever off.....but there's no hard scrubbing to do.

The oven, however, is another story.  Even after the self clean it still has to be sprayed & rubbed to get the remnants of the hot cleaning off the door and sides.  The glass got a spritz of Krud Kutter and I just used a razor blade to easily scrape the bits off.  The door and sides had to be sprayed and rubbed down with the scrubbie pad and then rinsed a couple times.

I always have so much difficulty reaching the back of the oven with the door in the way ~ I'm not as limber as I used to be.  So, I looked up on line and found my range specifics and found how to remove the door!  Woo Hoo!  There are a couple clips on the hinges that flip up and then you (or in MY case, Dane) can just pull the door up and off.  I knew it was heavy so I didn't want to attempt it alone ~ that's why I keep HIM around when I'm doing some things around the house.

With the door removed it was easy to reach the back wall and all the way to the back edges to get all the dust and drips wiped down.

So now I'm especially happy we're going out to supper ~ I'm exhausted!

As soon as my lottery numbers are selected I'm going to hire someone to come and do this stuff for me!

(I won't hold my breath until THAT happens......)

Thank you Beth, my oven needs cleaning too,  and for the information about how to remove the door, I'll look closer to see if ours can be removed

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Happy Mother's Day to all the super moms here.. Hope you all have fun today.

We had our Mother's day dinner yesterday, just the 4 of us, I baked salmon with parmesan topping, some leftover  pasta, and spaghetti squash/zucchini/carrot salad, D's baby brother sent Cheesecake from Factory Cheesecake, 12 giant slices, I know they love it, but imagine the fat in there Razz

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? - Page 2 241c1710
May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? - Page 2 190be011

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? - Page 2 B5f5e110

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane stopped at the Farmer's Market when he took his sister to the doctor the other day. He texted me to ask if I wanted anything....I said, "Just get anything that looks nice and fresh." He ended up bringing some red beets and a nice head of Napa cabbage.

I was going to make a regular slaw and then I remembered I had half a package of ramen noodles in the pantry ~ so the Oriental Napa Slaw was on the menu for tonight. The red beets had to be simmered for an hour ~ they were HUGE ~ and once I got them sliced up I realized one would have been more than enough. But they reheat just fine for another meal so I'm fine with it.

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? - Page 2 05_09_17

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made chicken chunks with the Korean BBQ Sauce from the refrigerator, sauteed zucchini & onions and creamed corn. Nothing special but a satisfying supper all the same.

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? - Page 2 05_10_14

NormM

NormM

Charlie is making Kimchi stew. It includes Spam and firm tofu.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Dane stopped at the Farmer's Market when he took his sister to the doctor the other day.  He texted me to ask if I wanted anything....I said, "Just get anything that looks nice and fresh."  He ended up bringing some red beets and a nice head of Napa cabbage.

I was going to make a regular slaw and then I remembered I had half a package of ramen noodles in the pantry ~ so the Oriental Napa Slaw was on the menu for tonight.  The red beets had to be simmered for an hour ~ they were HUGE ~ and once I got them sliced up I realized one would have been more than enough.  But they reheat just fine for another meal so I'm fine with it.

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? - Page 2 05_09_17

What did you do with the beets? I'm trying to learn to like them, just because they look good on a plate. So far, it's not working. LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Simple cod fillet, potato chunks done in the oven. Steamed broccoli. Yumm."

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? - Page 2 05_10_15

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:

What did you do with the beets?  I'm trying to learn to like them, just because they look good on a plate.  So far, it's not working. LOL

The beets got a good scrub under running warm water (easier on my hands than cold water.....) and then I put them into a pot and covered them with water ~ simmered for a good hour because they were the size of softballs.  When fork tender I drained & added cold water to cool them down.  When cool enough to handle I just trimmed off the tops and bottoms and then wiped off the skins ~ easy but a bit messy.

Then I just sliced and julienned them ~ reheated with a tiny bit of water & some butter (with a lid to steam) and that was it.

But don't feel bad if you don't like them ~ my friend says they taste like dirt to her and nothing will change that for her ~ it's kind of like me with cilantro (Ewwwww!)

You might try to pickle them ~ 1/2 c. cider vinegar, 1/2 c. water, 1/2 c. white sugar, a bit of cinnamon stick, maybe one whole clove (no more) ~ bring to a simmer to dissolve the sugar.  Pour hot brine over sliced/quartered/cubed cooked red beets and some raw onion.  Cover and allow to sit for at least a week in the refrigerator.  Then you have pickled beets to eat as pickles or to add to a salad.

If you reheat pickled beets and add a cornstarch slurry you have what used to be served as 'Harvard Beets' ~ my aunt loved them (me, not so much.....)

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

yesterday was sick day.... stomach cramps / belly ache.
feel better today. not hungry though. pizza tonight made with wheat pita breads. Tina made the sauce...

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:

What did you do with the beets?  I'm trying to learn to like them, just because they look good on a plate.  So far, it's not working. LOL

The beets got a good scrub under running warm water (easier on my hands than cold water.....) and then I put them into a pot and covered them with water ~ simmered for a good hour because they were the size of softballs.  When fork tender I drained & added cold water to cool them down.  When cool enough to handle I just trimmed off the tops and bottoms and then wiped off the skins ~ easy but a bit messy.

Then I just sliced and julienned them ~ reheated with a tiny bit of water & some butter (with a lid to steam) and that was it.

But don't feel bad if you don't like them ~ my friend says they taste like dirt to her and nothing will change that for her ~ it's kind of like me with cilantro (Ewwwww!)

You might try to pickle them ~ 1/2 c. cider vinegar, 1/2 c. water, 1/2 c. white sugar, a bit of cinnamon stick, maybe one whole clove (no more) ~ bring to a simmer to dissolve the sugar.  Pour hot brine over sliced/quartered/cubed cooked red beets and some raw onion.  Cover and allow to sit for at least a week in the refrigerator.  Then you have pickled beets to eat as pickles or to add to a salad.

If you reheat pickled beets and add a cornstarch slurry you have what used to be served as 'Harvard Beets' ~ my aunt loved them (me, not so much.....)

Thanks for the info. I am trying to broaden my culinary repertoire and educate my tastebuds at the same time. I have pickled beets simply by throwing the slices in the brine of a jar of pickles that I like, and that works quite well. I have learned not to go ewwww at the taste of cilantro by using just a little bit in some dishes, as it's used a lot in Indian food that I've been trying.

Tonight it will be Greek, saw some really nice lamb chops at the grocery store.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I browned a pork tenderloin in my little cast iron skillet and then finished it with some BBQ Sauce in the toaster oven. Reheated the leftover Rice-a-Roni & red beets from the other night. (all the leftovers are gone!) Sweet Kale Salad on the side.......

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? - Page 2 05_11_15

I picked some hot banana peppers to gift to neighbor, Gary. He's the only one in the neighborhood who can eat and appreciate hot peppers..........

Just one of Dane's plants must have 60 peppers hanging on it ~ and he has 3 other smaller plants that are producing, too. Wish it was a 'cash crop' ~ ~ but I can't find anyone willing to pay for them! LOL

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? - Page 2 05_11_16

NormM

NormM

I saw a recipe for Alfredo sauce that looked good. It used butter, cream and lots of Parmigiano with no thickeners.   I thought the cheese would thicken it but it didn't.  The pasta thickened it when i put the two together.  I served it with a chicken breast stuffed with crab. I added some onions, celery and mushroom to the sauce.

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? - Page 2 20220521

bethk likes this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Lamb chops done perfectly using the air fry feature in my oven. 10 minutes at 325, rice medley and a sort of Greek salad. Cukes, tomatoes and a mix of peppers, olives, feta that is available here in the takeout section of the grocery store."

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? - Page 2 05_11_17

Cookin Lore

NormM wrote:I saw a recipe for Alfredo sauce that looked good. It used butter, cream and lots of Parmigiano with no thickeners.   I thought the cheese would thicken it but it didn't.  The pasta thickened it when i put the two together.  I served it with a chicken breast stuffed with crab.  I added some onions, celery and mushroom to the sauce.

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? - Page 2 20220521

That looks and sounds sooooo good. On my recent trip, in one of the hotels on the west coast, I wanted to order a dungeness crab dinner........................................ $90. So, I said to myself,,,,,,,,,, "Self, cooking crab is easy, so You're not going to spend that much on one steamed crab" I will get some crab soon and make it myself. That was in Tofino, on Vancouver Island. Everything is expensive there, there is only one road going into the town, so everything is trucked in, except of course the crab, they take that right out of the Pacific.

Lamb chops, rice medley and a Greek salad last night. Will send a picture.Perfectly done in 15 min. using the air fry feature in my oven. I am really enjoying that.

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Lamb chops done perfectly using the air fry feature in my oven. 10 minutes at 325, rice medley and a sort of Greek salad. Cukes, tomatoes and a mix of peppers, olives, feta that is available here in the takeout section of the grocery store."

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? - Page 2 05_11_17

WOW, that was fast.  You must have been sitting there waiting for my picture!  Thanks AGAIN!

ps ON EDIT. That should have been temp at 425, not 325! Sorry.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:

WOW, that was fast.  You must have been sitting there waiting for my picture!  Thanks AGAIN!

Ah, don't want you to think I'm THAT fast.......you actually sent it last night and forgot so you re-sent the pic this morning.  

I saw it when I got up this morning and posted it around 7 a.m.

LOL

And you're going to love that air fry feature in your oven as much as I love mine! Makes everything taste so good! (I especially like it for vegetables.....)

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had some chicken thighs ~ bone-in/skin-on ~ thawed for supper and had to come up with an idea that sounded good.

I ended up doing them on the gas grill (in case of rain.....which DID happen). Added a couple small baked potatoes and a package of frozen peas.

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? - Page 2 05_12_12

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner I know, definitely not nutritionally balanced, but it was soooo good. Small NY strip steak and just some fresh asparagus. Lol."

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? - Page 2 05_13_14

bethk

bethk
Admin

Looks good to me, Lore! I see nothing wrong at all.....you don't always need a starch.

Today I drove to Homosassa for some grouper & shrimp. Their fish is expensive but it's really good value when you see how large the shrimps are (10/12) and how fresh the fish is. So, I'd rather spend a bit more and get something I like.

By the time I got home & got my grouper cut & wrapped for the freezer I didn't feel like cooking or eating ~ so I gave Dane a bowl of chili and I skipped the meal.....just not hungry.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made fish on the grill tonight. Salmon filet for him and panko crusted grouper for me. I made a simple slaw from the last of the Napa cabbage and I chopped the last 12 green beans (not enough for 2 to eat unless used as a 'garnish') and cooked them with some egg noodles.

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? - Page 2 05_14_14

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? - Page 2 05_14_15

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking for me tonight. My nephew from South Carolina messaged me and asked if we'd like to meet them at Disney Springs to meet my Great-Nephew, Ben. Ben is now 3 1/2 years old and we've not had the opportunity to meet him.....not that he would remember (or even will remember now). So, we'll head down to Disney Springs and they'll take the boat across the lake from Disneyworld and we'll have a lovely time.

I can only imagine how excited Ben will be with all the Disney characters and wonders to see.

However, I am happy they didn't ask us to walk the park with them. Too much walking, too many people, too hot, too......too

LOL

(falls under 'been there - done that' and I'm too old to even try to enjoy it again)

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

"Hello Everybody.....Hello"
Jimmy Duranti'..... 1951 & before that~~
We had a sick Relapse. Had to get different meds. The ones he gave her, Hilled her stomach;... We are rebounding a little better, now.
Had Pea soup with Ham. Yesterday that was.. Today was Farfalle with shrimp.

Beth.......I have 2 tickets from Disney for entrants into the park, that we paid
$7.00 each, for deluxe guests from Lennox Industries in Columbus Ohio, and are stated ( for life use ). When son Jimmy takes the grand kids, he will try and use them. Half of that park was under construction when we were there.

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum