Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung! What's cooking?

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Cookin Lore

I bought some lamb kabobs in an of all things, Italian market. Package said "cook from frozen". Then I looked at it, and there are no spices etc. on them, so I have defrosted them and I think I'll spice them up and do them in my grill pan. Greek salad to go with, of course, but not sure yet whether I'll do some potatoes or rice. Picture later, I think.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. The tiniest little pieces of lamb on skewers that I’ve ever seen, but I spiced them up and did them in my old grill pan. Delish! And oven roasted fingerling potatoes, Greek village salad."

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? - Page 5 05_26_14

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

A super supper tonight. Tina picked up some ground pork today, and made pork burgers. She dusts them with flour, and fries them in shallow oil. We eat them with apple sauce. Had mashed potatoes; corn, and a cookie for dessert.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I thawed out a pork tenderloin this morning. Then I made a run to the grocery store for a few things. They had just put out some fresh rotisserie chickens so I thought that would be a good supper for tonight and the pork, not completely thawed, would be fine for tomorrow.

So, tonight was rotisserie chicken, boiled potatoes & corn (cut from the cob). Easy peasey

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? - Page 5 05_27_14

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper time was Breaded and fried eggplant. Tina made some with cheese and tomato sauce. Cheese Danish for dessert.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm doing cooking for Dane's sister. She had carotid surgery 3 weeks ago and was sent home to heal. She was told to take it easy, rest, alternate heat/cool for any swelling no vacuuming or stretching to clean or do laundry and not lift anything heavier than a half gallon of milk. Everything was fine until she insisted her son come over to help fix her fence.

Being the dutiful son, he came over on his only day off to set some posts to replace some that had rotted away. While he was digging & working on removing fence posts SHE decided she would help by carrying bags of concrete from his truck to the fence site.

Now, keep in mind, this was two weeks after her surgery and she had strict instructions not to over exert herself.

Long story short, she broke open the incision and got a massive infection.

She ended up back in the hospital Tuesday for a re-do of the surgery and infection control. After 4 days they sent her home with an antibiotic pump and told to do nothing.

So, I'm making a big pot of goulash that I'll be able to divide up into plastic bags she can have in the freezer for easy thaw & microwave reheat. I'll also make a small amount of chicken salad (because I know she likes it) and I've got a small watermelon I'll cut up and send along, too.

Her husband is super picky but I know he'll eat the goulash ~ he only eats hamburger dishes or burgers, pizza or tacos. He eats NO poultry, may eat a little pot roast but none of the vegetables. Anything has to be easy to reheat because he only uses the microwave.

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, cooking is done for today......well, at least until it's time to make the pork tenderloin for supper.  I'm thinking of doing it on the grill....not sure yet.

I ended up with two half sheet pans full of cooling goulash.  As soon as it's close to room temperature I'll put one pan in each of the refrigerators to cool completely.  Then I'll put it into gallon size bags in serving sizes, add some shredded mozarella and (maybe) find enough space in the freezer to get a few bags frozen flat so Cheryle only has to stick them into her freezer for meals later in the month.

The only thing left to do in the morning is cut up some watermelon and put it into a container for Dane to deliver.

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? - Page 5 05_28_18

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? - Page 5 05_28_19

bethk

bethk
Admin

It was the night the pork tenderloin needed to be cooked.

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? - Page 5 05_28_20

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was beef soup Tina made; with little tiny meatballs. Dessert was the other half of cheese Danish I had left over from yesterday.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

OH wow! Guess we really need to listen to our doctors. I hope she does now.

I didn't feel like cooking today. Came home from my shift at the thrift store, had a whole bunch of cheeses and crackers, so not in any mood to cook dinner. About an hour ago I started to feel really hungry........... So, peanut butter to the rescue. Peanut butter sandwich hit the spot.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I didn't know when Dane would get back from his sister's so I didn't plan to cook tonight. He didn't want to go out again so I went to get him something he always liked years ago.....

Taco Hell......er, Bell

I don't know how he can eat it but he seemed to enjoy it (maybe not as much as he did years ago....) I got Chinese for myself.

So now we're both full and my kitchen doesn't have to be cleaned up. Yea for me!

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Son Danny called and asked of I wanted to go out for lunch with him and Lisa, and Lisa’s dad. I had had a big breakfast, so Danny and I shared three appetizers. Chicken wings, onion rings and Cajun shrimp. Hate to admit it, but everything deep fried just seems to taste better.

So, I made a salad for supper. I’ve been trying to include beets in my diet, basically because they look great on a plate! Roasted a golden and a red beet and some radishes. Radishes were a big disappointment, lost all flavour. Beets were so-so made a salad with romaine, the beets, radishes, sweet onion and feta. Balsamic/oil dressing."

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? - Page 5 05_29_13

bethk

bethk
Admin

I gotta hand it to you, Lore ~ pushing yourself to 'like' beets when you really don't like them is more than I would do. I'm glad you're stretching your dinner ideas!

And your salad really IS pretty!

(( of course, I LIKE beets! LOL ))

Cookin Lore

Thanks. A lot of foods, I find are really quite bland, so they just accept whatever you add to them, so that’s my idea of trying the bents repeatedly. But, I think I’ve almost reached the end of my trials. Lol

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was B L T C S's for tonight. White toast
The C & S is cheese and salami. Just one thin slice to kick up the flavor.
Tina was at a strange party this afternoon, for GGD Aurora ( 3 year old ).
The broken side figured they would gather all the dads and mothers and have just one party. All agreed, except ME. I didn't go.
I don't know, I can't even figure it out myself. May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? - Page 5 1297124391

Onward to tomorrow.... I guess hot dogs grilled and charred. A super addition would be jimmy's Greek style chili sauce. We shall see ???

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jim called and asked us to go out to eat tonight......

Another night that I don't have to come up with an idea of what to eat! Woo Hoo!!!

NormM

NormM

I made chicken wings tonight but instead of tossing them in a glaze, I served it with four dipping glazes on the side.May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? - Page 5 20220526

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. I have perfected the “turn the oven on on a delay start”. Yeay! Monday afternoon shift at the thrift shop, home about 5:30. It smelled so good when I opened the door. Three pieces of chicken thigh and a large potato! All I had to do was put them on a plate, added a cream cheese filled jalapeño and two stuffed pimientos. And, pour a glass of wine.

Yumm, another shift tomorrow, I’ll need to become creative."

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? - Page 5 05_30_13

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I made chicken wings tonight but instead of tossing them in a glaze, I served it with four dipping glazes on the side.

That's kind of what I do, Norm.  Dane likes Caribbean Jerk wings & I like an Asian or Original Buffalo.  But it's easy because HE gets the drummies tossed around in his glaze and I get the flats put on mine!

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

DD#1 texted me last night with a pic of her supper she made for Tori & her.  It's right up MY alley ~ kale, garbanzo beans and other vegetables.

It's called Sunflower Crunch Salad.  Here's a link to the website she found it on:

https://www.eatingbirdfood.com/sunflower-crunch-salad/

(cute site name, huh?)

I, of course, made some substitutions according to my preferences and what I had in the pantry.

No big surprise that I subbed parsley for the (dreaded) cilantro.

I didn't realize I was out of broccoli until I got home from the store so THAT was omitted.....

I had dried cherries instead of dried cranberries.

I had pepitas instead of sunflower seeds.

Oh, and on her recommendation, I left out the fresh garlic ~ which I probably wouldn't have used because it usually upsets my stomach.

I did have to go to the store for a fresh bunch of kale and I looked by the peanut butter and found the Sunbutter (sunflower seed butter) ~ it was pricey (about $6.50 for a jar), but should last for quite a while if I keep it in the refrigerator, I would think.  Andrea said Tori likes it to dip pretzels in....I do like the taste better than the almond butter.

So, that's what's for supper, along with some chunks of chicken breast I'm marinating in the Korean BBQ Sauce.  We'll see if it goes over well with HIM......

If not, I do know there's ice cream in the freezer for him.......LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper went over good ~ HE liked it a lot. I just had the Sunflower Crunch salad with some chicken chunks sauteed in Korean BBQ Sauce ~ so it was easy (since I made the salad this afternoon and had it in the refrigerator ready to go).

I'd make this again. It was really filling.....lots of 'chewing' required, which is always the way with any salad full of kale and cabbage. The dried cherries (or craisins) added a nice bit of sweetness without making it overly sweet. And the pepitas (roasted pumpkin seeds) added a nice 'crunch'. The garbanzo beans made it almost 'meaty'.

I know it's not for everyone ~ but maybe Lore will take a look and give it a try.

I cut back the amounts of the salad by half and still had A LOT! I did make a full amount of the recipe for the dressing (figured I might make it again soon) and I didn't think I could blend it with my imersion blender if I didn't have enough to blitz. I did end up adding quite a bit of water to thin it out to 'pouring' thickness.

I added the dressing to the salad a good hour before supper to give the dressing a chance to soften up the kale & cabbage ~ and it didn't get 'wilty' in the least!

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? - Page 5 05_31_13

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

NormM

NormM

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? - Page 5 20220527

Cooked some ribs in the smoker today. Charlie had a couple friends over and invited them for dinner. This is what was left by the time I knew they were already helping themselves.

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Closing May ~ ~ Move on to June!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum