Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin!

+4
NormM
Imelda HL
JanaAZ
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:My mother always called tonight's supper a 'New England Boiled Dinner' and I've never questioned the name, nor have I found any evidence that it was actually something served in New England......

Smoked sausage, potatoes, onions, carrots & cabbage ~ all simmered in a pot together until tender.....

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 4 01_17_19

I always thought that New England boiled dinner involved some seafood.

bethk and cookingirl like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:

I always thought that New England boiled dinner involved some seafood.  

And that's why I was always confused when Mom called it a New England Boiled Dinner.......LOL

Of course, my mother wasn't known for her culinary knowledge ~ which is why I grew up thinking Imperial MARGARINE was 'butter', Miracle Whip was 'mayonnaise' and Minute Rice was the only kind of white stuff to be served with the canned LaChoy Chop Suey (out of a can).

Hahahahahahaha!

cookingirl likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

There will be no cooking here tonight.

We have reservations at The Chop House to celebrate our 53rd Wedding Anniversary.

We no longer try to come up with gifts for one another ~ but I couldn't resist buying HIM a lottery ticket for the $350M Mega Millions Lottery.

Gee, I sure hope he feels lucky!

LOL

NormM, cookingirl and Imelda HL like this post

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:There will be no cooking here tonight.

We have reservations at The Chop House to celebrate our 53rd Wedding Anniversary.

We no longer try to come up with gifts for one another ~ but I couldn't resist buying HIM a lottery ticket for the $350M Mega Millions Lottery.

LOL

Congratulations on 53 years. We had 51 and a half. Hubby didn't make it to 52. I can only remember one really momentous anniversary "present" we bought for each other. on our 13th, anniversary Oct. 13 1975, we signed the papers for purchasing our farm. LOL I don't remember ever doing presents, as such.

Best of luck on the lottery ticket paying off!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Leftover potatoes from Sunday’s scalloped potatoes, stuffed mushrooms stuffed with what I made last night for the fish (mushrooms, onion, peppers, cheese and shrimp) and simple steamed pea pods do something green."

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 4 01_18_16

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, so I won't go into details.....sufice to say we were both stuffed beyond reason after our lovely anniversary dinner. It is SO very nice to go and be waited on by an attentive and caring staff.

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 4 01_18_17

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 4 01_18_18

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 4 01_18_19

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 4 01_18_20

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 4 01_18_21

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 4 01_18_22

Imelda HL likes this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

LOL

Happy Anniversary Beth and Dane.. cheers to many more years of happiness ahead.

Good luck with the lottery

bethk likes this post

cookingirl

cookingirl

LOL

Happy Belated Anniversary !!! Wow... 53 years.. amazing!!
Congratulations...

bethk likes this post

NormM

NormM

Happy Anniversary Beth. We had Alton Brown's recipe for Buffalo wings. It is going to be a keeper recipe for me. Potato salad was deviled egg potato salad from a local grocery store chain and Mac N Cheese was from the blue box. Charlie does not like the Deluxe kind with the sauce already mixed. January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 4 20220114

bethk likes this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

The Alton Brown method of steaming the wings is a good one, and not nearly as messy as deep frying, for sure. It doesn't cut down on the total time but does result in crispy wings. It's interesting your sauce was so simple ~ just 3 ingredients! I've made them and used Dane's favorite Crystal Hot Sauce. Pretty tasty.

I did a vertical roasted chicken tonight.....done on a 'beer can' rack WITHOUT the beer. I like that the fat renders off and the skin gets crispy. I forgot to put some water in the glass 'pie pan' I used until the oven filled with smoke from the rendered fat ~ whoops! I told my daughter I wanted to have a good roast chicken BEFORE I plan to clean the oven because it always makes such a mess in the oven. LOL

I made delicata squash rounds and cut-from-the-cob corn to go with the chicken.

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 4 01_19_14

NormM likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had removed all the meat from my leftover chicken carcass last night, along with the broth created from adding water to the baking dish, and stashed it all in a container in the refrigerator. This morning I dumped it into a pot, filled it with water and then tossed in half an onion that had seen better days (you know what I'm talking about ~ the onion you saved because you could use it later and then just didn't cook anything that required said onion.....LOL), a couple carrots, the center leafy stalks of celery and a couple sprigs of thyme from my patio pots.

And THEN I got out a larger pot because, of course, I had too much in the pot and had to move up to a more appropriate size Dutch oven pot. So, naturally, with all that extra room I thought I might as well grab a few bits from the 'Parts-is-Parts bag in the freezer (where I save all the chicken scraps when I de-bone thighs or decided I want boneless chicken breasts after I bought bone-in, skin-on).

I got it all simmering and let it go for 3 hours.....it smells delicious in here! I just strained out the broth and it looks and tastes amazing. I'll defat after it's cool and then I'll either make some chicken soup or just stash it in the freezer for another time.

I'm so grateful I have the time (and inclination) at this point in my life to make stocks whenever I choose instead of trying to squeeze it in to a 'too full' scheduled life.

So, here's a picture of what's left of the chicken parts and my bowl of stock.

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 4 01_20_15

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was rearranging in the vegetable drawers and realized I had 4 small zucchini that I've had but had not cooked.  Since it's soup for supper I wanted to get them used up......Zucchini Muffins / Bread to the rescue!

It takes very little time to hand grate zucchini so that's what I used ~ a fine grating is what I like best for the muffins.  The recipe is super easy and, other than having 2 c. of sugar, is somewhat 'healthy' since it uses a vegetable ~ LOL (I lie to myself like that all the time.....)

The mini muffins are in the oven now and the rest of the batter will be a small loaf that will get gifted to someone in the neighborhood.

Mini muffins are DONE! (15 minutes.....)

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 4 01_20_16

bethk

bethk
Admin

I saw my 'across the street' neighbor, Linda, was home from work today.....odd for her to be off on a Thursday (she's a massage therapist at a local spa/beauty salon). So I took some warm muffins to her. When she spoke to me her voice was unusually deep ~ turns out she's got a head cold and that's why she didn't go to work.

So, I handed her the muffins and said I'd bring soup for her supper ~ something to cure her of her cold, hopefully. She said I was 'an angel'......(with horns, more than likely!) LOL

So, my noodles are mixed and kneaded and resting for a bit before I roll them out to cut into thin ribbons to cook for a few minutes in the flavorful stock I made this morning. There's something so satisfying about making homemade soup. I don't know why I don't do it more often......

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, so here are the pics of today's cooking adventure.....

I mixed up the noodles ~ 4 egg yolks & 1 whole egg, a heaping tsp. of Kosher salt & a good shake of ground pepper (because I like it IN my noodles) and enough flour to make a thick dough.....kneaded and broken into 3 parts and kneaded with more flour, then allowed to rest before rolling out on a floured mat. When all 3 parts were rolled thin they were stacked, cut in half & stacked again and cut again and stacked for a 3rd time to make a pile of flat noodles to slice into slivers.

While I was playing with my noodles I had my chicken stock heating and added the carrot & celery so it had a jump on getting soft before I added the noodles to cook. The last thing to go in was the chopped chicken from the dark meat and small bits of chicken breast leftover from last night's roast chicken.

I didn't hear any complaints so it must have been pretty tasty.....

Oh, and neighbor Linda SHOULD be cured and feeling better by morning! LOL

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 4 01_20_17

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 4 Getatt17

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 4 01_20_18

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 4 01_20_19

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 4 01_20_20

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I cooked some soup too, using the roast chicken I bought at Costco, I boiled some macaroni, added 1 can of kidney beans, 1 head of broccoli, a quarter head of cabbage, 2 carrots and green onion, I added some shredded chicken breast meat.

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 4 91ae3110

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had some thin, bone-in pork chops and decided the best thing to do was bread them....just like my mom did so many years ago. I marinated them in some buttermilk & sambal oeleck (chili paste) for a few hours to help moisturize & tenderize them ~ and it worked. I left the marinade on so plain panko crumbs would stick and then browned them in some oil and then on to a foil lined sheet pan. I baked them at 325° for about 45 minutes and then, for the last 15 minutes changed the oven to 375° to really crisp them up.

The pork came out tender and still moist. I made some simple fried potato slices and steamed some peeled asparagus which was 'just OK' ~ I think it's the wrong time of year for really flavorful asparagus.

The absolute best part of the meal was 'Grandma's Everyday Salad' which, this time, was just sliced romaine lettuce with a dressing of sour cream, vinegar syrup & thinly sliced onions. Both of us really like that salad and just never tire of the taste. It's like sitting at Grandma's table, lunch or supper ~ if she had leaf lettuce growing in the garden that salad was on the table!

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 4 01_21_12

bethk

bethk
Admin

I thought fried shrimp sounded good for supper and then had to decide on sides. Dane picked beans so that was one.....I had one sweet potato (pretty big) on the counter that needed to be cooked and decided to add a similar size white potato to make a take on the Jonathan Waxman steamed/fried potatoes I've made in the past. I 'cheat' and par cook the potatoes in the microwave for about 3 minutes each until somewhat cooked ~ and just let them sit to cool down so I can mess with them with my fingers.

I chunked them up with a fork and dropped the pieces in 350° oil to crisp up. The mixture of the sweet potato & white potato chunks, nice and crispy, were pretty tasty. HE didn't have anything bad to say about them.

The shrimps got a dusting of rice flour and then a quick dip in some buttermilk and finally a toss in some of the Louisiana corn flour dredge before being fried a few at a time in the hot oil.

When I buy shrimp at my favorite market I'm never sure what size they'll have available ~ these were marked 10-15 and, quite honestly, were HUGE! The taste was excellent! I'm really glad I went for 5# ~ 6 or 7 each is more than enough for a meal so they'll last quite a while. (I have them double bagged in the garage refrigerator)

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 4 01_22_19

NormM

NormM

We had strip steak and stuffed potatoes. The steak didn't have much flavor.January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 4 20220115

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

Cookin Lore

Leftovers last night made the best dinner ever! I made a lentil salad a couple of days ago for my vegan nephew that I was going to see. Brown lentils, and a whole bunch of chopped up veggies. Pea pods, grated carrot, red pepper, a lot of parsley, s/p, a little oil, lemon juice. Of course, I kept some for me. Then, last night, didn't feel like cooking, so I took what I thought was pea soup out of my freezer, and heated it up. Definitely not pea soup, I called it "mystery soup" and it was blah. So, I threw in the lentil salad, cooked it enough to warm the veggies, and it made the best EVER yummy soup!

It's a good day to stay in, snowing again. We were really walloped with about 22 inches of the white stuff a few days ago, and more coming now. I live on the 12th floor overlooking a very busy intersection, and it's always entertaining to watch the vehicles "dance" as there is a bit of an incline and anyone without winter tires is taking chances. Fortunately there were no collisions, but lots got stuck and had to be helped out.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm going to use the last of the roast chicken (breast meat left) to make a pan of chicken enchiladas for supper. It's such an easy meal to throw together and it's usually stuff I already have in my pantry.....except for today I was out of sour cream ~ but a quick run to the closest store fixed that problem.

We're experiencing a 'cold' front for the last couple days ~ COLD for Florida, anyway. It was 39° when I got up and has gone all the way up to 46° when I took the car to the store just now.

I'm ready for our 70° weather to return......

bethk

bethk
Admin

Even though I'm not a huge fan of Mexican food, and I'm sure I would never order this dish in a restaurant because of my aversion to almost all cheese, this 'homemade version' of Chicken Enchilada really hits the spot and has interesting flavors ~ especially 'dressed' with shredded lettuce, tomato, avocado, onion, black olives and a 'creama' made of sour cream & green hatch chili sauce.

The filling is simply shredded (cooked) chicken, sour cream, green onions (or chopped white onions if that's all you happen to have) and a can of chopped green chiles. It gets folded into flour tortillas (because that's what WE happen to like) and a can of green enchilada gets poured over it all. It gets baked at 350° for about 45 minutes, until all bubbly ~ taking off the lid of the casserole for the last 15 minutes to toast up the top just a bit.

I can only imagine how tasty it might be with some cheese in the filling and sprinkled on top ~ but that would only ruin it for ME! LOL

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 4 01_23_14

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Chicken cacciatore picture taken before the parmesan shavings melted into the sauce."

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 4 01_23_15

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have some pork shoulder 'country ribs' thawing for supper tonight. I'll season & sear the pork and then add it layered with a mix of sauerkraut, shredded fresh cabbage & grated apple. I rooted around in the freezer and found a container of mashed potatoes that will do just fine instead of making the spaetzle I usually make to go with pork & sauerkraut.

I also have a pretty large chuck roast thawing for tomorrow. I don't know if I'll do it with the 3 dry mixes in the crockpot or if I'll make an oven pot roast....to be determined when I get up tomorrow.

NormM

NormM

Beth, I've wondered from time to time how much you would have suffered if you were born Mexican.
Smile

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Beth, I've wondered from time to time how much you would have suffered if you were born Mexican.
Smile

I do think I'd be MUCH thinner! (no corn tortillas, no cheese, NO CILANTRO in anything!) LOL

NormM likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum