Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin!

+4
NormM
Imelda HL
JanaAZ
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 6]

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Pork ribs, steamed sprouts and butternut squash."

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 6 01_30_12

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:I gave a pat on my shoulder, I'm so proud of the subs breads I made yesterday, I started at 10 AM and dinner was served at 3 PM, Subway style sandwiches, the bread turned out so good, so soft

Salami cheese, spinach/cucumber/tomato with guacamole sauce

Ham/cheese/spinach.tomato.cucumber

As usual, perfection! Your patience with yeast breads and expertise in forming the rolls is amazing! Absolutely beautiful!!!

NormM

NormM

I made sloppy joes and hot dog buns yesterday. The sloppy joes were supposed to be Philly Cheese steaks but they didn't taste like them and the hot dog buns didn't turn out very well either. The recipe was OK but the shaping and size need work. I tried the sloppy joe mix with hot dogs and they didn't taste like chili either. I didn't take pictures of any of it.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Pork & Sauerkraut with mashed potatoes & Grandma's Everyday Salad.....

Neighbor Jim came for supper ~ he wanted us to go out with him and I already had a meal started so he joined us instead.

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 6 01_24_19

What is Grandma's Every Day Salad?? My every day salad tends to get boring. Tomato, some type of green(s), onion, peppers and some sort of dressing. Sounds like you and your neighbour hit the jackpot of neighbours.

Pork and sauerkraut is always good. Do you add a bit of caraway to the Kraut?

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:

What is Grandma's Every Day Salad??  My every day salad tends to get boring.  Tomato, some type of green(s), onion, peppers and some sort of dressing. Sounds like you and your neighbour hit the jackpot of neighbours.

Pork and sauerkraut is always good.  Do you add a bit of caraway to the Kraut?

Grandma always grew leaf lettuce and red leaf lettuce in her garden ~ it seemed to last all spring & summer long. And with an abundance of the lettuce she came up with simple salads. Her 'everyday salad' was the lettuce with thin slices of spring onion and a dressing of vinegar syrup (equal parts of cider vinegar & sugar, heated to dissolve the sugar and make a 'syrup' ~ cooled and always stored in the refrigerator to be used throughout the week/month) and sour cream or canned milk. The same dressing was used on sliced cucumbers & onions, as well as when she made wilted lettuce with a dressing of hot bacon grease with the vinegar syrup added and poured hot over a big bowl of the lettuce.

And, no, I don't care for the taste of caraway to sauerkraut so I don't add it.

Cookin Lore

I started adding the caraway a couple of years ago, and seem to have learned to almost like it. It helps cut the burpees down.

My mom used to put lettuce in a salt pickle brine if she had too much of it and it started to shoot up. I loved pickled lettuce too.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a small piece of beef ~ not really sure what the cut was but I saw it in the freezer and decided to thaw it out ~ and I turned it into beef stroganoff. I just made packaged noodles to go with it. Cooked some baby peas in the microwave and threw together a salad. If I hadn't called neighbor Jim at the last minute to say I had too much cooked for supper and would he please come, I probably wouldn't have made a salad for just Dane & I. But I know Jim likes a simple salad so that's why it's there.

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 6 01_31_15

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was glad Jim said, "yes" to coming for supper. I was worried he was depressed.

He got word yesterday morning that his good friend from Pittsburgh and also his neighbor here in our villas had passed away from complications of Covid-19. His friend, also by the name of Jim, and his wife were 'snow birds', coming here from October to March every year and returning for the holidays with their children and grandchildren in Pittsburgh every year.

This year, while they were home for the holidays, the entire family contracted Covid. Fran, the wife, was in the hospital but recovered within a few days and was released. Their 40 something daughter was in the hospital, much in ICU, for 26 days and got released to go home on the 26th of January....her dad wasn't so fortunate. He had huge problems with his lungs and couldn't sustain himself.

It's always a shock when you hear of someone you know was relatively healthy (he was our HOA President and active in the neighborhood, was out riding his bicycle daily and walked all over town) and then you hear they die from a fast illness. It just doesn't make sense.

I feel so sorry for his wife ~ she will be at such a loss as they did so much together. All we can do is pray for the strength to get through.

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"My pet. My dinner tonight was frozen shepherds pie from the grocery store, not picture worthy. But we were talking about cold temperatures and the effect they have on gekostet. So, I thought I’d send a picture of my pet. A gecko that is on my living room wall! This one doesn’t have to worry about dropping temperatures."

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 6 01_31_16

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Ell hello Hello.... I'm back ( a little bit ) I was in the hospital to stabilize my heart.
Shipped me to a rehab nursing home, and was hit with Covid - 19.
Only symptom was intestinal in a bout 5 days or so. I am home under nurse Tina's care.
What a great job she is doing!
I will check in a little at the time till I get this new computer back to working.
The old one had some hard drive problems. I have to find out what goes with what now as long as I am up with it.
I'm not up to doing much, so I will be in touch now and then.
I had a burger on a pita pocket, and some noodles.
I am learning to eat and Tina cooks with no salt for me.
God Bless you all.

bethk, NormM, cookingirl and Imelda HL like this post

Cookin Lore

Nice to hear from you Uncle Jimmy!  I, and pretty well all my family (except our 89 year old Uncle Ernie) also had a bout of the "VID" as my children are now calling it.  I hear more and more that people have minimal symptoms, as I had, but some really do get very sick from it.  

Take care of yourself!

Last edited by Cookin Lore on Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total

bethk

bethk
Admin

Good Grief, He's BACK!!!

It's so good to hear from you, Jimmy!

NormM

NormM

Good to hear from you, Jimmy!

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm going to try Norm's (Alton Brown) chicken wing recipe.

Dane's wings (drummies) will get his Caribbean Jerk seasoning and mine will get a combination of Sweet Chili & Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce.

NormM likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made slight alterations in Alton Brown's method of steaming / baking the chicken wings. I only had one steamer basket so, just to be sure the wings were rendered completely, I let them steam for a good 30 minutes. I let them dry & cool on a rack in the refrigerator as suggested. Then I baked them using my convection oven for 15 minutes / turned and another 15 minutes.

They did NOT make enough smoke for my smoke alarms to go off. I was pleased. I thought the wings were a little 'pale' but were, in fact, nice and crispy.

All in all, I'd make them again using this method.

Dane changed his mind and decided on the Frank's Red Hot Wings Sauce and I had my Sweet Chili/Sweet Baby Rays mixture. For both I did heat the sauces and added a bit of butter ~ I think it really added a good 'mouth feel' and tempering of the heat.

Three cheers for Alton Brown! (( Oh, yeah, THANKS NORM! ))

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 6 02_01_14

NormM and Imelda HL like this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum