Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin!

+4
NormM
Imelda HL
JanaAZ
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 6]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Winn Dixie had chuck roasts on sale for $3.99/lb. this week ~ I ended up getting 3. One for tonight and two for the freezer. I remember way back when ~ I use to pick up chuck roasts at Meijer's for $.99/lb ~ 6 or 7 at a time to wrap and stash in the upright freezer for the next 6 months.

Those were the days.....

But I have to say, it was a tasty supper. I made roasted baby potatoes & carrots on a sheet pan. There was lots of gravy made. Leftover beef & gravy will be morphed into hot roast beef sandwiches for another night.

I also made some homemade applesauce because Jim was coming for supper. It's one of his favorites ~ takes the place of a dessert and he loves the stuff.

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 2 01_06_13

cookingirl likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Stir fry of onions, red pepper, zucchini and chicken breast. I used the Garam masala from the recipe in one of my Indian cookbooks. Finished it with some cream. Enough for lunch tomorrow!"

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 2 01_06_14

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today was our first picking of the green beans from our patio pots. I wish we had them growing year around ~ they are SO good. I steamed some cabbage and grilled a couple burgers on the charcoal grill. Dane had his burger on a toasted bun with cheese & onion slices.....

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 2 01_07_12

Cookin Lore

I haven't been doing anything exciting in cooking. Still feeling some after effects of this COVID. I was not tested, but my daughter-in-law and son were here Christmas Eve, flew to SD on Christmas Day and a couple of days later they were sick, A few days after that, I got sick, so I think it doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to figure out that I've had it. Symptoms, except for a lingering cough are gone.. i'm still isolating on my own for a few more days. Amy was told in SD that if, once you self isolate for 14 days, and have no more symptoms, they feel you have 6 months of immunity. So, that's what I'm figuring for me too!

I had one more container of turkey soup from Christmas, so that's my dinner tonight. And a salad.

bethk and cookingirl like this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

My sister, her husband and their daughter in TX got Covid last week, they are still in isolation at home, fortunately they have mild symptom, they are all fully vaccinated.

Today I cooked 2 pork tenderloin, I rubbed them with salt, blackpepper, garlic powder and bunch of rosemary, I browned all sides of them then put them in the oven for 20 minutes, for the sauce, I sauteed chopped onion and garlic, added some wine, water, thickened with a bit of cornstarch, also added 1 tbsp butter, needless to say, they cleaned out their plates

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 2 41968f10
January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 2 32e2ec10

bethk and JanaAZ like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Looks delicious, as always, Imelda. Pork tenderloin is one of our favorites, too.

Tonight was 'leftovers' here ~ but, unlike most leftovers, this is one even I like a lot ~ ~ leftover pot roast and gravy turned into hot roast beef sandwiches. Dane has his with a couple spoonfuls of potent horseradish. I just have mine plain.

He had the leftover potatoes & carrots, reheated in the convection toaster oven, and I had the leftover applesauce.

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 2 01_08_12

bethk

bethk
Admin

I checked the hours at the seafood market I like to go to and saw they were open from 10:00 - 5:00 on Sundays. So, about 9:45 I headed out for the nice, relaxing 1+ hour drive through the countryside. When I got there I saw a sign on the door they were closed until Thursday.....

WHY, OH, WHY DIDN'T I CALL ????

That just drives me crazy when I don't do something so simple and it would have saved me more than 2 hours of driving senselessly.

So, I was in a pretty crummy mood for the rest of the day......

I ended up picking up a couple salads from a local place because I didn't feel like cooking ~ had my heart set on fresh fish.

Oh, well, I'll get over it.

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Small Australian lamb roast done to a perfect med rare; oven roasted potato chunks and Brussels sprouts with a mushroom gravy Yumm!"

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 2 01_09_14

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a gigantic chicken breast ~ I don't know how large this chicken was when it was alive but the package of 2 (half) breast portions was larger than I would have thought possible. I ended up cleaning it up of the miscellaneous chunks of fat (that the packaging people put on the bottom of the package so you don't know you're paying for the 'extras'.....) and cutting it into chunks to saute and then I added some of the Korean BBQ bottled sauce.

I made some 'faux' fried rice, cold rice with some sauteed vegetables and a bit of dark soy sauce. I had a couple ears of fresh corn ~ Florida DOES grow some mighty tasty sweet corn almost year around ~ so I cooked them in the husks in the microwave, let them cool down and then cut the corn from the ears and just reheated it in a small skillet with some butter & seasoning. I also microwaved some fresh broccoli because I thought we needed something green.

All in all, I cooked too much but HE managed to help clean up a couple of the dishes. So I'd say supper was a success!

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 2 01_10_14

Imelda HL likes this post

Cookin Lore

I made a strir fry of red pepper, onion, mushrooms and chicken breast. cooked what I thought was a rice mixture, but I think it is some sort of pasta with other stuff in it. Ok, but not really worth cooking. But, the stir fry on it made it good.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Our dear, sweet (and cantankerous old coot), Jimmy, continues to work on rehab at home.  I got a note from Sweet Tina today:

"Jimmy’s got a very hard time walking. Just walking from the bedroom to the bathroom has a hard time breathing. He’s doing OK. I force him at dinner time to walk in the kitchen. The therapist said he should be up and walking around. Mad, stubborn. Very cold here today - its 13 out. I’m sure you’re toasty warm. lol Thank you for your prayers."

So, please continue to keep Jimmy and the family in your thoughts & prayers so he can return to give us all grief!  (I miss him SO much!)

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've been hungry for the Cuban Picadillo Empanadas for some time ~ and today was the day they got made! There's something about the seasoning in the 'sloppy joe' mix that I find so good. It's just ground beef with onion, crushed tomatoes, seasoning with cumin, cinnamon, cayenne (and I add some of the Aleppo pepper I get from Penzey's), chopped raisins (for sweetness) and salty sliced green olives.

I was able to find the Goya Discos (empanada wrappers) at the 3rd store I went to when I was looking for them. Drives me nuts that one store will have them and then, 'POOF !', next time you look there are no longer stocked. I mean, if they carry Hispanic frozen foods, why not be consistent? But, hey ~ I like driving around on my golf cart stopping at store after store. I'm retired......I've got nothing but time! LOL

I also picked up some 'fresh' salsa to have with the tortilla chips. That's almost as difficult as finding the discos ~ for some reason it's really hard to find any 'hot' salsa. I guess most Villagers are only going to purchase mild and don't like spicy anything......

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 2 01_11_19

NormM

NormM

I have never found empanada wrappers anywhere, not even in the Hispanic store nearby. I'd make them more often if I didn't have to make the wrappers first.

bethk likes this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had two times the headache finding them this time.....especially since two of the stores that I've purchased them at before didn't have ANY Goya products in the freezer section this time. The packaging was changed and didn't look the same....I had to actually pick up a package and read the label to be sure I was getting Goya Discos. LOL

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

We have a lot goya wrapper in our Asian store, even our Walmart has them.. for I know, they have 3 different kinds, red, white and blue color on the plastic packaging. I don't know what the difference. Let me know if you need more, I'll ship them from here, easy peasy

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner (last) night. Large shrimp done on my electric grill. Salad of tomato, cuke, onion, pepper, parsley and garbanzo beans. Oh, half an avocado."

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 2 01_11_20

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I knew I needed to pick green beans yesterday but I got busy with other things. So, today it was at the top of my 'to-do' list. I've got enough for at least 2 meals!

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 2 01_12_16

I've been thinking of making lemon scones for a long while ~ I hate it when I have absolutely nothing 'sweet' in the house. Sometimes I just want something just because I LIKE it! I think my dough was a bit wet ~ they came out a bit out of shape.

But like my DD mentioned when I sent her a picture......"by the time you break one up in a bowl and spoon strawberries over, you won't even notice it wasn't a perfect triangle......."

Does she know me well or what?

Hahahahahahahahaha!

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 2 01_12_17

bethk

bethk
Admin

Nothing special for supper......I had a small pork tenderloin that I simply seasoned with s&p and seared in my little cast iron skillet. When it was brown on all sides I slid it into the toaster oven to finish cooking for about 20 minutes. I made thick slices of potatoes with chunks of onion and boiled the first half of today's green bean picking.

I heard no complaints so I'll assume HE liked what he got. LOL

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 2 01_12_18

NormM

NormM

I made empanadas today. It may have been Beth mentioning them that made me think of doing them. I have a cutter that cuts perfectly round dough but I didn't use it. I just rolled out little pieces. They aren't pretty. I made 14 and this was all that was left by the time I got around to taking the picture.January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 2 20220113

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:I knew I needed to pick green beans yesterday but I got busy with other things.  So, today it was at the top of my 'to-do' list.  I've got enough for at least 2 meals!

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 2 01_12_16

I've been thinking of making lemon scones for a long while ~ I hate it when I have absolutely nothing 'sweet' in the house.  Sometimes I just want something just because I LIKE it!  I think my dough was a bit wet ~ they came out a bit out of shape.

But like my DD mentioned when I sent her a picture......"by the time you break one up in a bowl and spoon strawberries over, you won't even notice it wasn't a perfect triangle......."

Does she know me well or what?

Hahahahahahahahaha!

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 2 01_12_17

Absolutely, no one will complain about them not being "perfect". They look good to me. I keep thinking that I should maybe try baking, but I'm not into sweets, and surely also don't need the calories. I used to bake when we were first married, but hubby asked me to stop because he was eating too much of it. He had a very sweet tooth!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I love that I inspired you, Norm!

Usually it's the other way around......

And if they aren't exactly pretty, they still taste just fine (as proven by the fact so many went missing in a hurry!)

NormM likes this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Potato soup for last night dinner, potato, Italian sausage, and frozen spinach (that's what I had in my freezer ), today I also cooked soup for them ( I'm going out for lunch with my friend, she is visiting from WI ( she only stay for an hour or so to see me, then she is going to Phoenix and stay there for a wedding tomorrow, Phoenix is about 110 miles away ), today's soup is macaroni, Italian sausage, carrots and the rest of spinach from yesterday with a tbsp of roast beef Better than Bouillon ( I hope I spelled it right, never able to spell it Smile )  

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 2 337e5510

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Nothing better in cold weather than making soups. Everyone loves it.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:We have a lot goya wrapper in our Asian store, even our Walmart has them.. for I know, they have 3 different kinds, red, white and blue color on the plastic packaging. I don't know what the difference. Let me know if you need more, I'll  ship them from here, easy peasy

I found out today that the 'green' packaging has a 5" empanada "frying" disco instead of the 'blue' packaging that is a 6" disco.

I had to get another package so I can fill the rest of my ground beef mixture to put in the freezer.

I don't fry them but bake them instead. But next time I might give them a 'spritz' of PAM to get a bit of oil on them. I've done them with an egg wash before and it didn't seem to do anything that we liked. I'm thinking a bit of oil might crisp them up more and not have them so dry tasting.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made ribs in the oven tonight. Baked a sweet potato to go with the ribs. I also made the cauliflower/pea/bacon salad I've been hungry for. I'm thrilled I have leftovers of the salad ~ I like to eat it for breakfast.....well, brunch, actually ~ but I like it the next day just fine. LOL

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 2 01_13_15

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum