Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin!

+4
NormM
Imelda HL
JanaAZ
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Pork & Sauerkraut with mashed potatoes & Grandma's Everyday Salad.....

Neighbor Jim came for supper ~ he wanted us to go out with him and I already had a meal started so he joined us instead.

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 5 01_24_19

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Pork & Sauerkraut with mashed potatoes & Grandma's Everyday Salad.....

Neighbor Jim came for supper ~ he wanted us to go out with him and I already had a meal started so he joined us instead.

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 5 01_24_19

I cooked this today, I forgot to take picture ( can you believe it? haha ), I added 1 anis star, 2 cloves, onion, garlic, soy sauce and I added some maple syrup before I turned off the heat

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's been 'cold' (40°'s) and rainy all day. I decided it was the perfect day to do an oven pot roast. But the roast was so large (really good looking when I bought it.....) that I decided to do a sheet pan roasted potatoes & carrots. Everything smells super.

I always slice onion to season my roast so I did that as usual. When the roast was cooked I removed it from the oven and decided the onions needed to be chopped to go into the gravy ~ I'm already planning to make hot roast beef sandwiches with the leftovers!

Does anyone else do what I do when you're done using the oven on a cold day? I remove everything from the oven and then let the oven door sit open so the heat fills the kitchen with all that 'free' heat and it makes it super warm (and smells good, too!).

cookingirl likes this post

NormM

NormM

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 5 20220117
Chicken Breasts stuffed with crab meat and topped with a cream sauce and a warm green bean salad.

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Today I recooked the leftover from yesterday ( braised pork shoulder/Saurkraut/ diced potatoes in soy sauce ), today I mashed the potatoes, shredded the pork, mixed with saurkraut, and boiled some kale. My MiL cleaned out her plate, yesterday she left out 2 pieces of chunk pork and half of potato Cool

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 5 659dad10

bethk and NormM like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Rainbow trout fillet simply done in my oven with some spices, a bit of ghee; and half of a baked potato. Salad of heirloom tomato, onion and feta. Yumm!"

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 5 01_25_14

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

My pot roast came out nice and tender ~ it was in the oven for about 3+ hours at 325°. I did the potatoes & carrots on a sheet pan and I thought they were perfect ~ HE thought they were a little dried out, but the carrots were caramelized and SO sweet. I could have eaten twice as many.

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 5 01_25_15

NormM likes this post

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Rainbow trout fillet simply done in my oven with some spices, a bit of ghee; and half of a baked potato. Salad of heirloom tomato, onion and feta.  Yumm!"

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 5 01_25_14

One of our local growers must be growing Heirloom tomatoes now, they are more available than I remember previously. This one was a very deep red, almost brownish/black. My area has hundreds of acres as they say "under glass" or greenhouse complexes. Major one, St. Davids' hydroponics, grows all colours of bell peppers. (There's a small town here called St. Davids, no conection to a church.) LOL I try as much as possible to purchase locally grown things.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane texted me this afternoon and suggested going out for supper ~ I think he wanted to give me a break.

We ended up going to a local country club ~ liver & onions was the night's special and, unfortunately, it was just mediocre tonight.  I had their orange chicken and it was tasty.

I made an apple crostada so at least he can have dessert.....

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 5 01_26_12

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 5 01_26_13

Last edited by bethk on Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cookin Lore

I used to love liver and onions, made it many, many times, particularly also with mushrooms...................... But, two years ago I had a medical problem involving my liver................. It's all cleared up, but it sort of put me off eating liver.. Maybe I'll try it again in a restaurant too!

Tonight I Had the last of the chicken cacciatore I made a few nights ago. It really is very good re-heated. No picture.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I reheated the leftover pork & sauerkraut. Instead of making the usual spaetzle that HE loves (like his German Grandma made.....) I just rolled out some noodles and boiled them. Same taste (to me) and, quite honestly, WAY easier. He would have preferred like Grandma Braun made but the rolled noodles were almost the same and easier/quicker.

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 5 01_27_13

Bugster2

Bugster2

I hope Jimmy's feeling better.
I haven't been cooking at all. Joe always makes a sandwich for me. I am sick of sandwiches.
Had my breast cancer removed and get the banadages cancer removed next week. I am weak and fell and gave myself a shiner the other .day

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:I hope Jimmy's feeling better.
I haven't been cooking at all. Joe always makes a sandwich for me. I am sick of sandwiches.
Had my breast cancer removed and get the banadages cancer removed next week. I am weak and fell and gave myself a shiner the other .day

Good to hear from you, Bugs. Hopefully, with your surgery behind you, your strength will return and you'll feel like putzing around in the kitchen again ~ if only to find something that sounds good to eat.

Jimmy's still very weak and is continuing his therapy at home. I don't hear much from Ms. Tina ~ I think she's up to her eyeballs in stuff to do.....

Cookin Lore

Bugster2 wrote:I hope Jimmy's feeling better.

Take care of yourself, rest, rest, rest. I am living proof that there is wonderful life after breast cancer. Almost 23 years later and feeling great!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I took some of my empanadas out of the freezer this morning ~ an easy~peasey meal for a Friday night. I had one avocado & a roma tomato but decided I wanted another avocado so I got in my golf cart and went to the store. I found a 'just right' ripe avocado so supper was set.

As long as I was there I decided to go pick up a package of Premium Saltines ~ this was the third store I looked for saltines in. NONE!

How can they have Valentine's Day Candy stocked and not be able to keep stupid saltine crackers on the shelf????

Crazy.

Good thing I'm not completely out ~ THEN I'd be REALLY miffed!

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 5 01_28_14

bethk

bethk
Admin

We have neighbors who traveled back to Pittsburgh for Christmas and, unfortunately, contracted Covid somewhere. She was in the hospital for just a few days but he has been in since the first of the year and has been battling to breathe and continues to have lung problems.

They have a little naval orange tree that produced fruit for the first time this year and she was SO looking forward to going out and picking one in the mornings for her breakfast ~ I feel terrible that she's not going to get to taste them at all.

We're supposed to get a hard freeze tonight and Dane said if they weren't picked the fruit would rot on the tree so I went down & picked all her oranges. All I could do was send her pics of the harvest. I've been delivering them around the neighborhood so they won't go to waste.

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 5 01_29_12

Imelda HL likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

My pot roast morphed into our beloved Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches and I used the last 1/3 of a head of cauliflower that I've been staring at for the last week to make a cauliflower/pea salad. Both were met with a smile....

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 5 01_29_13

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

Dinner Greens, tomato, a tomato, avocado and feta; small marinated seafood creatures; boiled egg; two pictures, one of a closeup of the marinated seafood.

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 5 01_29_14

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 5 01_29_15

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

We have two different fountains ~ one at the front door and one in our courtyard. We had a 'hard freeze' last night, went down to 28°. Dane covered the plants he really wanted to save, built a nice shelter for my little lemon tree and even put lights under the covers to keep the temperatures just above freezing.

I went out to look around this morning, at 9 a.m. it's already come up to about 44° since the sun is shining, and I noticed there's ice in the fountain. Actually pretty cool (yes, that's a 'pun'!)

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 5 01_29_16

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 5 01_29_17

Cookin Lore

Oh, that's "cute" 28 F is a hard freeze? It's -14 C here right now, that's about 8 F................ That's a hard freeze here! But, all kidding aside, It surely will cause problems for you in the vegetable and fruit growing. And the poor geckos and other cute little animals that really can't take the cold.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:Oh, that's "cute"  28 F is a hard freeze?  It's -14 C here right now, that's about 8 F................ That's a hard freeze here! But, all kidding aside, It surely will cause problems for you in the vegetable and fruit growing.  And the poor geckos and other cute little animals that really can't take the cold.  

The first night it got down to about 38° I had a little geko that was 'frozen' on my window....I guess the glass was warm enough before the sun went down to attract the silly little thing.  He was still in the same place in the morning.....never fell off.  When the sun came out and things warmed up I got to watch him from inside the house as he s-l-o-w-l-y made his way off the window and down into the foliage.

Here's a pic from inside my house, looking out through the window.....

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 5 01_28_15

and here's when he warmed up enough to start to move around in the morning......

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 5 01_28_16

JanaAZ

I bought a pork shoulder from Costco and made 2 things. The first was pork with onions and apples and the sauce was finished with a little mustard. Steve couldnt keep his hands off of that one. The second was pork agrodolce that one is good, but I want to outa with the sauce a little more. Need to make freezer room for these.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Shout out to Cyn! Reading about the record snow in Boston......praying you're snug as a bug in a rug and just watching all the white from your window.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I spoke with my daughter when I was driving to the store this afternoon trying to find some inspiration for tonight's supper. She mentioned the Sloppy Joes she made last night were a hit.

And suddenly, that's what I wanted, too!

All I had to buy was a package of 'slider' size buns. And it's a good thing I decided on something prior to getting to the store because there wasn't ANYTHING that peeked my interest. None of the 'sale' meats looked good enough to buy. I considered some bone-in chicken breasts until I looked at the price per pound and that stopped me in my tracks ~ I don't know WHY everything seems to be so over priced lately.

I guess I should have picked up some things when I went to Sam's Club last week.....

But I wasn't in the mood, I guess.

So, tonight was sloppy joes, crispy crowns (flat tater tots) and some quick slaw I threw together at the last minute.

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 5 01_30_11

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I gave a pat on my shoulder, I'm so proud of the subs breads I made yesterday, I started at 10 AM and dinner was served at 3 PM, Subway style sandwiches, the bread turned out so good, so soft

Salami cheese, spinach/cucumber/tomato with guacamole sauce
January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 5 54d59310
January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 5 0203ab10

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 5 F8c0df10

Ham/cheese/spinach.tomato.cucumber
January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 5 F45bb410

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! - Page 5 02995c10

bethk and NormM like this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum: