Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

2021 September ~ What's Cooking?

+3
JanaAZ
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

762021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:46 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Came across a couple pieces of pork in the freezer ~ braised pork, steamed cabbage & boiled potatoes. It's what was for supper tonight.

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 09_16_13

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

772021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. NY strip steak done on my grill. Slices of fingerling potatoes, radish, pea pods and orange shepherd peppers. Forgot the onions! Lol."

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 09_16_14

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

782021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I did a pan roast on a chicken breast. Microwaved/oven crisped a sweet potato and did an air-fry on a big pan of roasted carrots & parsnips ~ a real favorite of ours.

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 09_17_12

792021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

No cooking today. Had Subs from a Jersey Mikes.... Tina didn't want hers.

bethk likes this post

802021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:49 pm

NormM

NormM

I made Korean fried chicken. I'll be cleaning the kitchen for2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 20210922
days.

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

812021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:34 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I made Korean fried chicken. I'll be cleaning the kitchen for2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 20210922
days.

I hate to deep fry in the house. That's why I bought an electric skillet at a garage sale. I can put it on a table outside and there's no mess in the house ~ an no smell, either.

But it really looks like it's super crispy, Norm!

822021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:41 am

NormM

NormM

bethk wrote:
NormM wrote:I made Korean fried chicken. I'll be cleaning the kitchen for2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 20210922
days.

I hate to deep fry in the house.  That's why I bought an electric skillet at a garage sale.  I can put it on a table outside and there's no mess in the house ~ an no smell, either.

But it really looks like it's super crispy, Norm!

It was fried then baked. It was very crispy, even after it was coated with a sauce.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

832021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:16 pm

Cookin Lore

I made a pizza on a piece of NAAN again. Got my new fridge yesterday, so had to clean the old one thoroughly. Surprises when I took all the shelves out. I thought that I had kept it clean. LOL Freezer showed me a few surprises also. I have a LOT of seafood so that's what I'll be doing for the next little while.

Tonight will be a branzina. I didn't know it was a type of sea bass. I've only heard of it as a Brazina on the cooking shows.

842021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I ran out of meal ideas so Dane came up with the idea of going out......

((It would be rude to say, "No" to him......))

Hahahahahahaha

852021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:20 pm

Cookin Lore

And you certainly don't want to be rude! LOL I'm afraid that almost 40 years on the farm, where the nearest restaurant was always a 25 min. drive, my hubby never said "let's go out!". But there was good pizza and wings delivery available.

862021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:I made a pizza on a piece of NAAN again.  Got my new fridge yesterday, so had to clean the old one thoroughly.  Surprises when I took all the shelves out.  I thought that I had kept it clean. LOL  Freezer showed me a few surprises also.  I have a LOT of seafood so that's what I'll be doing for the next little while.

I think the refrigerator freezer always amazes me on how it can 'hide' things and then, suddenly, they reappear by slipping down under the pull out basket ~ of course, causing the whole thing to not close......and by the time you figure out how to get the errant item dislodged you realize it's REALLY time to do a major sort. When we sold our home in Ohio our DD#2 was 'renting' it. I don't think she EVER cleaned the freezer and, unfortunately, the task of cleaning it fell to me. (( As I remember, there was what looked like 'dust' at the bottom that had to be vacuumed out.......sigh........ ))

872021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:09 pm

Cookin Lore

Thought I was going to make a Branzina tonight....................... BUT, went to the grocery store, and their rotissery chickens were calling to me! So, it's rotissery chicken and a salad.  

Sending you two pictures of my completed kitchen, Beth. Thanks.

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 09_18_10

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 09_18_11

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

882021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:05 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Kitchen looks great, Lore! Bet you're happy to finally have it all finished & cleaned up.

892021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:01 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The end of the chicken soup, and a MacDonald's Burger and fries.

bethk likes this post

902021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:50 am

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Kitchen looks great, Lore!  Bet you're happy to finally have it all finished & cleaned up.

Yes!  It has been a long renovation, partially because of COVID delays, then a broken ankle to deal with.  But, next week will be fun. My  friend is coming on Tuesday from Whitehorse and we start our road trip!  Thanks Beth for posting the pictures.
I looked at the pictures again, and realize that the wooden cutting board on the island looks out of place. But, it sits there all the time. Love it, my son is into woodworking.

912021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:26 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Kids are coming today. .,We will order takeout from someplace???
We are watching the untouchables on tv. Shootings going on in Chicago then , and even till today, it's the same.

bethk likes this post

922021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I cut my pork tenderloin into thick slices and pounded them into cutlets ~ lightly coated in seasoned flour/cornstarch and did a very quick pan fry. Baked an acorn squash in the toaster oven and steamed some asparagus. I made some onions & peppers and added some leftover teriyaki sauce to spoon over the cutlets.

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 09_19_13

932021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:29 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I took the last of the Key West frozen shrimp out of the freezer this morning ~ they're in a strainer in the sink thawing so I can get them cleaned for supper.

I guess it'll be 'light' fried shrimps with crispy potato crowns ~ gotta find a vegetable, maybe throw together a small salad if Dane doesn't make one for his lunch.

942021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

There were no complaints about tonight's supper. The large shrimps were tasty and came out nicely crisp using the buttermilk/sambal & corn flour Louisiana dredge. Surprisingly, I don't think I have a huge mess to clean up because I only cooked about 4 at a time and they didn't spatter at all. I got the Crispy Crowns Potato Tots going in olive oil in the cast iron skillet. I do like that my induction range can keep the temperature so even in the cast iron ~ no burned tots at all. Corn cut off the cob finished out our meal.

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 09_20_11

And since it was the 'end' of the bag of frozen shrimps I ended up with leftovers ~ but I don't think Dane will have any problem being the one to reheat them for his lunch tomorrow!

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 09_20_12

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

952021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Seafood jambalaya. Had my first dinner guest in my newly finished kitchen. 88 year old uncle Ernie who is always happy to come!"

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 09_20_13

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 09_20_14

962021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:28 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:There were no complaints about tonight's supper.  The large shrimps were tasty and came out nicely crisp using the buttermilk/sambal & corn flour Louisiana dredge.  Surprisingly, I don't think I have a huge mess to clean up because I only cooked about 4 at a time and they didn't spatter at all.  I got the Crispy Crowns Potato Tots going in olive oil in the cast iron skillet.  I do like that my induction range can keep the temperature so even in the cast iron ~ no burned tots at all.  Corn cut off the cob finished out our meal.

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 09_20_11

And since it was the 'end' of the bag of frozen shrimps I ended up with leftovers ~ but I don't think Dane will have any problem being the one to reheat them for his lunch tomorrow!

How did you cook your shrimps Beth? Looks delicious, I have some shrimps in my freezer, they are 16 to 20/lbs, I'd like to fry them like yours. Did you use cast iron skillet to fry them?

972021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:31 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had the kielbasa and macaroni salad. Maria just pulled out a nice made from scratch, pumpkin pie from the oven. That will be bed time snack once it cools....

bethk likes this post

982021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:48 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:

How did you cook your shrimps Beth? Looks delicious, I have some shrimps in my freezer, they are 16 to 20/lbs, I'd like to fry them like yours. Did you use cast iron skillet to fry them?  

Imelda, I cleaned my shrimps and then rolled them in some paper towels to get rid of the excess moisture. Then just a few minutes before cooking I did a buttermilk/sambal oeleck marinade and dredged in the Louisiana Fish Fry mix. The fry mix is mainly corn flour with some spices added. I picked it up because I couldn't find any store that carried plain corn flour (NOT corn starch or corn meal......). I let the shrimps sit on a plate for a few minutes before frying to allow the buttermilk to absorb into the corn flour.

Then I did a 'deep' fry of 370° vegetable oil in a pan with the oil about 2" deep. I use the least expensive oil I can find because I use it once and then, when cool, it gets tossed out. I just used a narrow sauce pan ~ same pot I use for boiling potatoes or vegetables. I only cook a few at a time (4) and end up with about 4 batches ~ but since shrimp cooks in minutes it doesn't take long at all.

I like the corn flour to use for frying fish/shrimp because it's not a heavy breading and just lightly coats/seals the fish.

I've done it before by just doing a quick ice water dip with the shrimp and then into some of the corn flour and that was REALLY thin.

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 09_20_15

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

992021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:28 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Neighbor Jim is coming for supper.

I'm making my Bulgogi Bahn Mi Tacos. He came the first time I made them and he said, "I don't know what you're having.....but I've never had anything I didn't like here!" And he loved them.

So, I've got some beef to thin slice, my marinade is made (most is boiled down to a sauce to spoon over the beef on the taco). I've got all the vegetables ready for the dressing ~ Jim's will be mild and ours will have peppers and sambal oeleck pepper paste added. The dressing won't go on the vegetables until just before we sit down so the vegetables don't get soft & watery.

I'm really looking forward to supper. It's been a long time since I've made these.

1002021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:55 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It will be taco's and rice and beans for supper tonight. Nothing special; just the el Paso kits. Soft boat kit and hard shells for Tina and whomever.....

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum