Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

2021 September ~ What's Cooking?

+3
JanaAZ
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

1012021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:37 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:

How did you cook your shrimps Beth? Looks delicious, I have some shrimps in my freezer, they are 16 to 20/lbs, I'd like to fry them like yours. Did you use cast iron skillet to fry them?  

Imelda, I cleaned my shrimps and then rolled them in some paper towels to get rid of the excess moisture.  Then just a few minutes before cooking I did a buttermilk/sambal oeleck marinade and dredged in the Louisiana Fish Fry mix.  The fry mix is mainly corn flour with some spices added.  I picked it up because I couldn't find any store that carried plain corn flour (NOT corn starch or corn meal......). I let the shrimps sit on a plate for a few minutes before frying to allow the buttermilk to absorb into the corn flour.

Then I did a 'deep' fry of 370° vegetable oil in a pan with the oil about 2" deep.  I use the least expensive oil I can find because I use it once and then, when cool, it gets tossed out. I just used a narrow sauce pan ~ same pot I use for boiling potatoes or vegetables.  I only cook a few at a time (4) and end up with about 4 batches ~ but since shrimp cooks in minutes it doesn't take long at all.

I like the corn flour to use for frying fish/shrimp because it's not a heavy breading and just lightly coats/seals the fish.

I've done it before by just doing a quick ice water dip with the shrimp and then into some of the corn flour and that was REALLY thin.

Thank you Beth, I'll go and buy for the Fish Fry mix. So today we'll finish the leftover we have in our fridge. My MiL got Pneumonia last week, I made lots of soup for her, she is getting much better now and is being herself again. Here are 2 kind of soups I cooked and remembered to take their pictures

Roasted butternut squash soup ( with carrots and potatoes)
2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 4da03610

I made fresh garlic and rosemary Focaccia bread
2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 Bcad9910

Here is what I called Grits porridge, cooked grits added bunch of milk and finely chopped broccoli florets, topped with bacon bits

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 5d9de210

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

1022021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:16 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

You are such a good daughter, Imelda. She may be your 'mother-in-law' but she is just a 'mom' who really appreciates all you do to care for her. Bless you!

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

1032021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:37 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Everyone liked the Beef Bulgogi Bahn Mi Tacos and fried rice for supper.

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 09_21_12

1042021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:29 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was clueless again today as to what to fix for supper. Thank goodness I talk to DD#1 most days (she calls when she's in the car ~ hands free thru her car) and she helped me come up with an idea.

So, salmon for him, grouper for me. I did a couple little potatoes as baked on the grill to crisp the skin as the fish was on the grill mat. Made some lima beans/corn ~ succotash ~ my favorite.

Best part was absolutely no leftovers.....YEA!

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 09_22_14

1052021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:14 pm

NormM

NormM

Charlie has been on a quest to find a perfect Country Fried so whenever I see an interesting recipe, I try it. This is what I made today. Not pictured is some homeydew melon.

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 20210923

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

1062021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:56 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was tomato sauce with sausage. Angel hair spaghetti.
Pumpkin pie for dessert.

bethk likes this post

1072021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:32 am

Cookin Lore

Cheese, crackers etc., and wine tonight for my friend and me. Tomorrow morning we leave on our road trip, so there will be no cooking, and chances are no pictures either for a few days. See you all next week!

bethk likes this post

1082021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

One of the suggestions made by DD#1 the other day.....worked well for tonight.

Ham, potato, asparagus & onion frittata w/toasted bakery roll......

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 09_23_12

I like some bottled taco sauce drizzled on mine.

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 09_23_13

1092021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:39 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Chicken wings roasted on a bed of onions. They were still not that crispy though. Tina force roasted them at 300 F for three and one half hours.

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 Wings10

bethk likes this post

1102021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:46 pm

NormM

NormM

I cooked some ribs in the smoker today.2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 20210925
2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 20210924

1112021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:07 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yum, Norm! Those look really meaty and very nicely smoked.

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

1122021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I picked up a rotisserie chicken for supper. Made a baked sweet potato & Penzey seasoned beans to go with it.

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 09_24_12

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 09_24_13

1132021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:08 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was pizza tonight... Tina made the sauce, and I made the dough.

bethk likes this post

1142021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm's smoked ribs (the ones that looked amazing!) got my mouth hungry for ribs. So, this morning I was off to Sam's Club as they usually have the nicest, meatiest ribs in town. Of course, I had to buy their 3 rack package ~ but, hey, now I have five half-racks at the ready in the freezer. I've found a half rack is just fine for the two of us ~ 3 or 4 ribs each is enough.

Tonight I did them in the oven. I put some homemade rib-rub on both sides and let them sit in the refrigerator for a couple hours and then on to a rack, added some Coca Cola to steam and sealed them up tight to steam for an hour & a half.

The rest of the bottle of Coke got boiled down to a thickened syrup-like consistency and then I added just a bit of some Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce ~ as long as you don't put it on too heavy it's a nice change-of-pace flavor.

I peeled & mashed last night's leftover sweet potato & added some s&p and butter and milk and put it in a small Pyrex casserole to heat up in the oven along side the ribs.

The broccoli got steamed in the microwave for 2 1/2 minutes......

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 09_25_15

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 09_25_16

bethk, NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

1152021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:35 pm

NormM

NormM

Time for smoking outside is getting short.  I did a brisket in the smoker. I did all the smoking outside but when it came time to wrap it, it was getting late so I wrapped it and put it in the refrigerator and finished it in the oven today.  Our local grocery chain, Hen House, has whole briskets for sale occasionally and when they do, their USDA Choice is only $45 to $60.  That is about the same price for Prime brisket at Costco but the two times I got the Choice from Hen House, they turned out juicer and as tender as the Prime from Costco.  I have heard mentioned that their Prime might be dairy cattle, IDK whether or not that makes a difference. I just thought I'd mention it and see if anyone cares to comment.   The one I got for today had a funny shaped round end with a little piece sticking up.  When it got done that piece looked burned but when I cut it off, it was not burned burned.  It was blackened but just under the skin, it was moist and juicy.  I imagine it was like Arthur Bryants original burnt ends.   He'd trim off the blackened ends and put them out for free so people could nibble on them while waiting in line to order.  People started asking other restaurants to put burnt ends on their menu.  The restaurant owners knew there were never going to be enough burnt ends to have as a daily menu item so they came up with what Kansas City's burnt ends are today and not at all like Bryant's was 50 years ago.

My smoker is 9 years old.  It will probably last longer than I will.2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 20210928
2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 20210927
2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 20210929

1162021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

A steer, a bull, a cow ~ ~ ~ if it cooks up like THAT then there's no debate. It's all good. That looks really moist. It's glistening!

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

1172021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:23 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I made a meatloaf tonight. DD ate an omelet she made. Tina and I just picked off of slices of the meatloaf. Today was a just blah type of day.

bethk likes this post

1182021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:25 pm

JanaAZ

I smoked a pork loin the other day and decided to make a cubano sandwich. I had some crusty rolls our friends brought from Chicago and used them. So I pounded the smoked pork loin and put it on a roll with a piece of Swiss on each side, the pork, a piece of ham and some homemade dill pickles I added some mustard and then put ghee in the outside of the roll. Into the griddler and grilled it. So good. No photos. They weren’t pretty but they were tasty. I’m sure Beth can get a great cubano in Florida but I haven’t seen them here.

bethk, NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

1192021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:41 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It's Thanksgiving here today.
Turkey breast / mashed potatoes / gravy / corn / sweet potatoes /
Cranberry sauce / asparagus / Fresh made pumpkin pie.
Thanks to chef Tina and DD Maria. Me......I'm in charge of remembering to take the crescent rolls out of the oven before they burn. And.... to set out the cranberry gel sauce. Something we always forget to set out on the table.

bethk likes this post

1202021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

JanaAZ wrote:I smoked a pork loin the other day and decided to make a cubano sandwich. I had some crusty rolls our friends brought from Chicago and used them. So I pounded the smoked pork loin and put it on a roll with a piece of Swiss on each side, the pork, a piece of ham and some homemade dill pickles I added some mustard and then put ghee in the outside of the roll. Into the griddler and grilled it. So good.  No photos. They weren’t pretty but they were tasty. I’m sure Beth can get a great cubano in Florida but I haven’t seen them here.

Yes, Judy, there are some really good Cuban sandwiches around here ~ but there are some pretty awful ones, too, LOL!

I've made them at home a couple times (I used mozzarella cheese for mine instead of Swiss) and bought some 'Cuban' bread, different in texture & flavor than regular white bread ~ gets nice and crusty in a panini grill.  But Dane prefers a couple places north of here so when he gets a hankerin' for a good sandwich we head out for a 30 minute drive.  I can usually find something I like, although I have to pick & choose around the menu to avoid the cilantro (which I never use at home....).  It's tough when you're a picky person!  

A few places use pulled pork instead of sliced pork loin for their Cuban sandwiches.  Dane says, "Just NOT right!"  LOL

1212021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm making a chicken casserole tonight. I saw something on Facebook the other day and it reminded me of an old time recipe that I'm going to try to recreate from memory.....hope it's as good as I THINK I remember it to be!

1222021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

It doesn't look like it's very appetizing but was, in fact, quite tasty. It sure did bring back the 1970's! The recipe on Facebook was called Chicken Gloria ~ I think it was a Betty Crocker contest winner, but I could be mistaken. As usual, I changed things out to my taste and was quite satisfied with the result. Only thing is ~ there are LEFTOVERS...... (( sigh ))

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 09_26_12

1232021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The turkey dinner. .

Forgot to put out the cranberry sauce, and, we forgot to bake the crescent dinner rolls. Razz

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 Turkey10

bethk likes this post

1242021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:48 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Haven't been doing much cooking, i just have no appetite. I made beef stroganoff the other day but it tasted too sour. My taste just isn't back to normal. This morning I woke up with a stomach ache and dry heaves so I am really not intrested in eating.

My sister's son is in Mexico filming a movie. He just finished on Friday and now it is going to be edited. Robin (my sister) had the son of one her high school friends down there to see the movie making process. The friend said to Robin that her son loved being down there and learned so much. The friend also said "I didn't know he would learn how to pay off the Cartel. LOL.

1252021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:01 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Haven't been doing much cooking, i just have no appetite. I made beef stroganoff the other day but it tasted too sour. My taste just isn't back to normal. This morning I woke up with a stomach ache and dry heaves so I am really not intrested in eating.

My sister's son is in Mexico filming a movie. He just finished on Friday and now it is going to be edited. Robin (my sister) had the son of one her high school friends down there to see the movie making process. The friend said to Robin that her son loved being down there and learned so much. The friend also said "I didn't know he would learn how to pay off the Cartel. LOL.
Debbie, sorry to hear about how you are feeling. Tina said she can relate with how you feel. She is constantly battling with the dry heaves and stomach pain.

Great news about your sisters son, and the filming. G0od Luck to him.
Take care, and God bless.

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum