Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

2021 September ~ What's Cooking?

+3
JanaAZ
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 6]

262021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:17 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had planned to have spaghetti squash & marinara but when I cut the squash to get it ready to put in the oven it was green (not ripe) and smelled funky ~ tossed it and went to Plan 'B'....

Baked pasta with the mozzarella pearls, tossed salad & toasted rolls.

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 09_06_12

Darlene came down this afternoon to have a cigarette with me out in the courtyard. She's not suppose to be smoking but she figures if she doesn't buy any and just smokes when she walks down to my house she's at least smoking a lot less than she would if she bought her brand and had them at her house.

She mentioned when we were sitting outside that she was so tired and was just about ready to fall asleep in the rocking chair sitting in my courtyard. She had played a round of golf with the ladies league today and then went to lunch so she figured it was a combination of the heat and the game of golf making her tired. She also mentioned she had a bad bout of the IBS that she's had since she had the surgery to remove so much of her intestines when she had the abcessed problem last January. Her doctor said it's normal and he hopes the symptoms get less frequent as she continues to adjust to having less in her gut.

So, for two days she couldn't really leave her house because she kept having to be close to the bathroom.

So, long story long.....as she was walking to the door she stopped to answer a question Dane asked her and all of a sudden she leaned against the wall and said, "Oh my gosh, I'm SO DIZZY....the room is spinning!" I grabbed a dining room chair and got her turned around to sit down and then she got really weak. I had Dane come over by us to help hold her in the chair so she didn't fall out of it. She started saying she was having trouble breathing and that's when I looked at Dane and said, "I think I'll call for help". He just looked at me and shook his head.

I think it took all of 4 minutes to get the EMT's at the door. The response time was wonderful. They determined she was really dehydrated and wanted to take her to the hospital to get some fluids in her. She did NOT want to go back to the hospital for anything since she spent so much time in one last spring. And since most of the hospitals are busy with Covid cases the EMTs said she could probably rehydrate here at home with Gatoraid or Adult Pedialite. And, just by chance, Dane ALWAYS has Gatoraid because he takes it with him when he plays golf every morning.

So, I wouldn't let her go home, made her sit here and drink a 20 oz. bottle of Gatoraid and then more ice water. I told her to call Tom and tell him he was invited to supper, too ~ she wasn't going anyplace until I was sure she wasn't going to drop over.

So, the baked pasta was the perfect meal to stretch for 4 and, actually, was pretty tasty.

A couple hours is all it took to get her back to her old, sassy self!

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

272021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:00 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Big salad of spring mix, tomato, parsley half a can of tuna, feta, lemon juice and oil, salt and pepper. Simple, but delicious.

I have not been eating enough veggies lately."

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 09_06_13

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

282021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:41 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lyn & I went to Orlando today. We went to one of our favorites, Seasons 52, for lunch. I had my mouth all set for their corn soup but they didn't have any today.....

ended up with the appetizer to share of grilled artichokes & preserved lemon hummus with vegetables & lavash. We could have stopped with that but ended up ordering a half flatbread with roasted tomatoes & pepperoni and the lobster bisque soup. Couldn't finish it all but it was delightful.

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 09_07_12

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 09_07_13

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 09_07_14

292021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:51 pm

NormM

NormM

I grilled some skinless and boneless chicken thighs that were marinated and basted with a Vietnamese sauce. Charlie said it was good and thinks it would be good in a bahn mi sandwich.

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 20210917
2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 20210916

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

302021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:15 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Pan fried lamb chops, fresh corn on the cob and a rice medley with mushrooms and onion. Yumm!"

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 09_07_15

312021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:21 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

My 'across-the-street' neighbor, Linda, just came to my door to ask if I had any idea why her KIA car key wouldn't work in her car. She could insert it into the steering column but it wouldn't turn. I tried to be sure it was in 'park' but that wasn't the problem.

She went into her house to try calling a local KIA dealer and before she found the phone number I had come home and got on 'YouTube' and typed in "KIA key won't turn".....up popped about 6 video solutions. I watched the first one and it said to turn the steering wheel as much as I could and at the same time try the key. I went back over to Linda, said, "Let's try something....."

And VIOLA! Car started right up.

We tried it again ~ started again.

Problem solved.

I love it when 'girls' can figure out how to fix something without having to call AAA or have someone show how easy it is to resolve.

Girl Power!

322021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:27 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

DD cooked. Chicken breast.... I did not eat it. Too moist.
She also made salmon steaks in teriaki sauce.
Had green tomatoes, sliced thin, batter dipped and fried; along with zucchini flowers that she filled with cheese...

bethk likes this post

332021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:19 am

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:My 'across-the-street' neighbor, Linda, just came to my door to ask if I had any idea why her KIA car key wouldn't work in her car.  She could insert it into the steering column but it wouldn't turn.  I tried to be sure it was in 'park' but that wasn't the problem.

She went into her house to try calling a local KIA dealer and before she found the phone number I had come home and got on 'YouTube' and typed in "KIA key won't turn".....up popped about 6 video solutions.  I watched the first one and it said to turn the steering wheel as much as I could and at the same time try the key.  I went back over to Linda, said, "Let's try something....."

And VIOLA!  Car started right up.

We tried it again ~ started again.  

Problem solved.

I love it when 'girls' can figure out how to fix something without having to call AAA or have someone show how easy it is to resolve.  

Girl Power!

Many years ago, when cars still had carbeurators, we had a station wagon where that butterfly valve on it used to stick all the time, and my very stylish station wagon wouldn't start. I'd have to call CAA and have them fix it.
Once, the Driver once showed me what it actually was, and I solved my problem. I started carrying a wooden clothespin, and when the flap got stuck, I'd open the hood, stick that wooden clothespin in with the narrower end down, it kept the valve open, and my vehicle started. Worked like a charm! LOL

342021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

when we went to Whole Foods in Orlando yesterday I bought some really good looking roma tomatoes. And to be 'safe' (because I wanted to make BLT's) I also picked up a package of the Kumato Tomatoes from Peru because they actually TASTE like a tomato even though they're brown. Well, the romas were TASTLESS....glad I had back-up!

I fried up the leftover green beans with some bacon, onion & fresh, 'cut-from-the-cob' corn, always a favorite side dish.

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 09_08_13

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 09_08_14

352021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:00 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner I think I have found the best fish EVER! I mentioned that I went to a farmers’ market last week. Besides veggies I bought several kinds of fish including this fillet. I have no idea what it is. Fillet is rather narrow, about 4 inches wide and over an inch thick. Flesh is Snow White, skin was black. I baked it in the oven just brushing with oil, adding garlic, S/p, thyme, cayenne and toward the end basting with butter. It tastes like crab. I like this so much, I will possibly take that 100 mile trip again just to find out what it is. Market vendor did not mark the name for me."

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 09_08_15

362021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:03 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Looks good, Lore.

Could it possibly be black sea bass? (hint: was it REALLY expensive?)

I would also be really tempted to make the drive back just to find out what it was and to buy more!

(I think I've mentioned I drive about 2 hours round trip to get fish from my favorite market. The trip is sometimes worth it just to 'get out of Dodge' for a day.

372021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:05 pm

NormM

NormM

I was mowing the yard the other day and back in the trees where I don't mow much, I found a tomato plant growing! Some bird must have dropped a seed from a tomato it stole from somewhere else. I put it in a large pot and moved it to a sunnier place. For a couple days I thought it was going to die but today it has perked up. I just hope there is enough time for it to grow some tomatoes. If it is a cherry tomato plant, it might. Next time I go to Whole Foods, I will try to remember to look for kumatoes

382021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:17 pm

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Looks good, Lore.

Could it possibly be black sea bass?  (hint: was it REALLY expensive?)

I would also be really tempted to make the drive back just to find out what it was and to buy more!

(I think I've mentioned I drive about 2 hours round trip to get fish from my favorite market.  The trip is sometimes worth it just to 'get out of Dodge' for a day.

Thanks for the hint. Was it really expensive? I really don't know. I know I bought some Walleye, something else, and a Bransina also, and the total was $83.00. The only reason I bought the Bransina is because I see them doing that on the cooking shows, and I don't think I'll ever buy another one. It wasn't guttet! Yukky! I'm going out tomorrow, will go to a store that. has a lot of seafood.

392021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:43 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had Italian meatballs that I fried up this morning.
Tina made creole rice and beef in the box. It was good.
dessert was Entenmanns fudge cake.
Lunch was a tomato sandwich with mayonnaise....
######################################
Poor Tina's lung is feeling a little better as far as pain goes,, but she is still out of breath when she walks about. Now, she is hurting with a heal spur.
She had the right one done in 1986, but never had the left one done.
Now it flared up. It's like taking one step forward, and two steps backward. ( Pun Intended ). hahahahahahaha

bethk likes this post

402021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:12 am

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Looks good, Lore.

Could it possibly be black sea bass?  (hint: was it REALLY expensive?)

(I think I've mentioned I drive about 2 hours round trip to get fish from my favorite market.  The trip is sometimes worth it just to 'get out of Dodge' for a day.

Thanks. Black sea bass sounds right. I asked fisherman GOOGLE about it, and their description is spot on! Going out today for some fresh Niagara veggies at the farm stands, but will also check for the fish.

412021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:57 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Second try at spaghetti squash & marinara.....

I picked up what looks like a nice spaghetti squash at Whole Foods. It was larger than I usually like and ended up costing $8, but, hey ~ it's what I want, it's what I'm hungry for, it's gonna be supper tonight!

LOL

422021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:07 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

For tonight... l/Tina was at Costco. She picked up a couple NY strip steaks $11.99 lb.
Going to have eggplant parmesan also.

bethk likes this post

432021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was good. I didn't hear any complaints from the 'Peanut Gallery', either! And now I'm satisfied ~ I hate when I get hungry for something and can't make it. Fortunately the spaghetti squash I got at Whole Foods was ripe and tasted just like it was suppose to.

As usual, I had mine 'half & half' ~ part with marinara and part with just butter and s&p.

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 09_09_13

442021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:00 pm

NormM

NormM

Charlie sent me a video of Korean Street food: Fried rice with egg and shrimp. I made it for him today. He said it was really good. Next time I will use the wok with a non-stick lining though. 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 20210918

452021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:04 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Our local veggies are sooo wonderful right now. Went to a farmers market and bought some Shepherd peppers. I used the mushroom and rice mix from a couple of days ago, chopped up the fish leftover last night, added some scallops, spices and cream and stuffed the peppers. Topped it with mozzarella cheese. One pic is before baking. Best stuffed pepper ever! Lunch tomorrow too!"

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 09_09_14

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 09_09_15

462021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:32 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had egg plant parm. Box frozen bake in the toaster oven.
Cheese Danish for dessert. Now I have a stomach ache.
Steak on the menu for tomorrow.

bethk likes this post

472021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:47 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Johnsonville Brats got picked up the other day ~ just needed to come up with an idea for a side dish. I was talking with DD#1 and said, "Maybe I'll make some potato salad." & just about the time I said, "Oh, maybe I'll make GERMAN potato salad" she said the same thing. Great minds and all......

So, that's what was for supper, along with some sliced kumato tomatoes.

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 09_10_12

Lore, I know you said you never had German Potato Salad ~ but from what I've read it was very popular in the southern part of the country. I make it much like my Grandma did ~ a sweet/sour apple cider vinegar 'hot dressing' with lots of bacon and onion. Funny, but my mom only heated up a couple cans of the Reads German Potato Salad instead of making it from scratch.

482021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:46 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NY strip steaks, and a cherry Danish.

bethk likes this post

492021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:52 pm

NormM

NormM

This is a "game day" recipe for slider sandwiches. They are Philly Cheese Steaks on Hawaiian bread rolls. They are good but kind of fussy. I think I'd prefer to put them in a full sized sandwich and cut them in half if I want a smaller serving.

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 20210920
2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 20210919

502021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:This is a "game day" recipe for slider sandwiches. They are Philly Cheese Steaks on Hawaiian bread rolls.  They are good but kind of fussy.  I think I'd prefer to put them in a full sized sandwich and cut them in half if I want a smaller serving.

I've made something similar, Norm, for a Patio Party ~ where everyone brings a dish to share. I used the shredded meat from the Crockpot Beef Roast we make, layered with mozzarella cheese. I brush a lot of butter with seasonings & sesame seeds before I bake it off to melt the cheese & heat through. Everyone seems to love 'em.

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum