Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking?

+2
Cookin Lore
UNCLE JIMMY
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 9]

26It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Tue May 04, 2021 11:44 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

By the way, Lore, I'm taking a clue from YOU and simmering some garbanzo beans right now.

I saw a garbanzo bean 'stew' recipe that sounded interesting to me. I'll be serving it with (yet again) chicken thighs.

The recipe calls for about 1 cup of 'grated tomatoes', I can't find any flavorful tomatoes so I'll be using crushed fire-roasted canned tomatoes, fine diced onion, fine chopped zucchini and chopped red pepper. The spices are cloves, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, hot paprika, safron threads and parsley flakes.

Stay tuned to see the pictures of how it turns out when I post my evening supper pic!

LOL

27It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Tue May 04, 2021 1:01 pm

Cookin Lore

Glad to have given a hint. I know that it's a small thing, but even as far as storage space is concerned, simmering them from the dry stage makes sense. Also, every can/jar/bottle we can keep out of the trash is good.

bethk likes this post

28It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Tue May 04, 2021 1:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Next time I have to remember to start with 1 - 1/4 cup of dry garbanzos......

As they simmered I would 'taste-test' about every 10 minutes or so ~ ~ I love, Love, LOVE the texture as they get softer. I found myself testing not one but two or three at a time.....

Hopefully I'll have enough today for the recipe.......

LOL

29It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Tue May 04, 2021 2:03 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Obviously I'm bored today......LOL

Here are some pics of my prep for the Garbanzo Bean Stew I'll be having for supper......

Vegetables & spices ready to be chopped.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 05_04_13

Chopped & ready to cook.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 05_04_14

Dried garbanzo beans were 'quick soaked' for an hour and then drained & rinsed.  Then I simmered them for about 1 - 1/2 hours, adding salt about half way through.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 05_04_15

Veg is softened in olive oil.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 05_04_16

Blooming spices.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 05_04_17

Adding tomatoes & garbanzo beans and simmering for 15-20 minutes.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 05_04_18

NormM likes this post

30It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Tue May 04, 2021 6:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I really like the Jacques method of getting crispy skin chicken thighs. The underside (meat) is slit away from the bone ~ an advantage of this is more even cooking. The seasoned thighs are placed skin side down in a cold heavy bottom skillet (I use cast iron) and turned to a medium setting ~ placing a lid on the skillet. Leave, untouched, for 20 minutes, checking only to adjust the heat setting. At that time, the chicken should be completely cooked through (no pink!) and the skin nice and crispy. I do alter my cooking of the thighs to flip them for just a couple minutes to get a tiny bit of sear on the soft meat side.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 05_04_19

My garbanzo stew got the 'seal-of-approval' from HIM ~ he took seconds so I have to assume he liked it somewhat. It was interesting.....it had similar spices to our Cuban Picadillo ~ cinnamon, cumin, etc. I personally loved the texture of the garbanzo beans, left with just a bit of toothsome bite without being crunchy or mealy. Only problem is there is SO much left over.....gonna test and see if it freezes OK....

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 05_04_20

NormM likes this post

31It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Tue May 04, 2021 8:47 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Tonight stir fried of onions, mushrooms and red peppers. Scallops served over rice cooked with some dehydrated vegetables Yumm!"

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 05_04_21

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 05_04_22

bethk likes this post

32It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Tue May 04, 2021 8:57 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Last year, just after we started the remodel of our home, Sweet Michelle sent me some Mung Bean and Spicy Salad Sprouts seed.  I had been talking about how I wanted to grow some Mung Beans to use in stir fry meals and she had been growing salad sprouts for her and Brian to have on salads & sandwiches.  She did love her sandwiches!

It was such a busy time, I just stashed the packages of seeds in a kitchen drawer and, quite honestly, forgot about them.  When I discovered they had passed away it hit me like a rock ~ I had to get those seeds from the drawer and actually start growing them!

So, here's to Michelle!

Day 2 of the Mung Bean Sprouts and Spicy Salad Blend Sprouts:

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 05_03_17

Did you use a special jar for growing beansprouts? I made beansprouts some times, wrapped mung beans using wet paper towel and put them in rice cooker, I also did it with soybeans

mung beansprouts after 4 days

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 11620810

bethk likes this post

33It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Tue May 04, 2021 9:11 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I just used some wide mouth mason jars I had in the garage storage ~ perfect example of me NEVER throwing anything away.  LOL

The mesh is simply some plastic cross stitch plastic from the hobby store that I had when someone was making table coasters to set wet drinks on ~ I just do NOT have the patience (or eyesight) for that any more.

Michelle had sent me a plastic wide mouth mesh lid to fit on a wide mouth mason canning jar.  The mesh is very fine so the very small seeds in the spicy blend don't wash out.

I was amazed how fast the mung beans started to sprout ~ just a fun (and hopefully tasty) experiment!

Yours look fantastic! (and probably much easier than the way I'm doing it......)

Tonight when I rinsed the sprouts I took the time to remove the green hulls from the mung beans. I'm hoping they'll continue growing to become big size.

Imelda HL likes this post

34It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Tue May 04, 2021 10:43 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was shrimp and a garden salad.

bethk likes this post

35It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Tue May 04, 2021 11:06 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:I just used some wide mouth mason jars I had in the garage storage ~ perfect example of me NEVER throwing anything away.  LOL

The mesh is simply some plastic cross stitch plastic from the hobby store that I had when someone was making table coasters to set wet drinks on ~ I just do NOT have the patience (or eyesight) for that any more.

Michelle had sent me a plastic wide mouth mesh lid to fit on a wide mouth mason canning jar.  The mesh is very fine so the very small seeds in the spicy blend don't wash out.

I was amazed how fast the mung beans started to sprout ~ just a fun (and hopefully tasty) experiment!

Yours look fantastic! (and probably much easier than the way I'm doing it......)

Tonight when I rinsed the sprouts I took the time to remove the green hulls from the mung beans.  I'm hoping they'll continue growing to become big size.

The hard part for me is to remove the green hulls of the mungbeans

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

36It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Wed May 05, 2021 12:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:

The hard part for me is to remove the green hulls of the mungbeans

Imelda, I didn't have much trouble.....I just flooded the jar with water and most of the hulls were floating in the water at the top. I just poured it out into a smaller sieve to catch any growing sprouts and got rid of the empty hulls. I probably flooded the jar three times.

37It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Wed May 05, 2021 2:58 pm

Cookin Lore

I bought some special lids for the wide mouth mason jars. Mine are decorative, so my sprouts taste better! LOL From the Lee Valley store

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

38It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Wed May 05, 2021 6:45 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I took Lyn to the orthopedic doctor for her broken foot today.

I had planned to have leftovers but, for some reason, I just couldn't face them.

So I stopped and got Chinese (MooShu Pork & Egg Roll) for me and HE wanted Taco Hell ~ easy enough and we were both happy.

39It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Wed May 05, 2021 8:12 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

MacDonald's egg sandwiches late day lunch, and cake for dessert....

bethk likes this post

40It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Thu May 06, 2021 12:53 pm

Cookin Lore

Sun is out today, but still cold.  Fishing season starts May 15, (I think)  I know son has his boat back in his garage out of winter storage, so there will be fresh Lake Erie perch soon.  So, in honour of that, I am going to send a picture of my fishing sons to Beth.  Michael on the left with his Tilley hat.  Danny on the right.  The shed is Danny's garden shed where he has a "fish cleaning station"  Sink, running water (cold only) small bit of counter space.  

The other picture is another view of the shed, turned BARSH.  He cut a section of the north wall of the shed, hinged it so that it can be lifted up  to make a roof.  Installed a beautiful wood slab as a bar top, so it is converted to barshed or BARSH!

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 05_06_10

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 05_06_11

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 05_06_12

Thanks again, Beth! You can see that my sons take their beer as seriously as their fishing. Apparently since Danny did this to his shed, two of his friends are doing the same. There is, of course also a flat screen TV there so they can watch games or whatever, outside! Danny built the barstools also. I made cishions for them using leftover "zebra" fabric that I had. It adds to the outdoor feel! LOL

Last edited by Cookin Lore on Thu May 06, 2021 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More info)

41It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Thu May 06, 2021 4:46 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lore, I always forget to ask......

Do you go out on the boat with Danny when he's going fishing?

Just curious.

42It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Thu May 06, 2021 5:52 pm

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Lore, I always forget to ask......

Do you go out on the boat with Danny when he's going fishing?

Just curious.

Nope, never! No onlookers/visitors allowed! LOL Fishing is serious business. And, I really don't want to go either. It is big enough that he could have a toilet, but he doesn't. There is a small covered area on the boat where two or three people would have shelter in case of severe weather, and he wants to keep that space for emergency situation. I think that's good. I can't trust my almost 77 year old bladder and I don't want to have to use a bucket! LOL His wife has gone a couple of times as well as her father. But that is mostly so that they have two more bodies when there's a question of what they are fishing for. Walleye has a 6 person limit, so having two extra people is good. Lisa has a fishing license, her dad is a senior and doesn't need one. Danny is VERY strict in obeying the limits. There is no limit for Lake Erie perch, so they can catch whatever number they get.

Funny story about overfishing here. Someone who worked for my husband for years (not one of my favourite people) has a cottage about 250 miles northeast of here. He thought that he knows/knew everything. He and a buddy were out fishing in an area of a park where they should not have been fishing. Caught a large Muskie (out of season) and put it into a shallow little puddle/pond until they were going to gut and fillet it. Two cute, young women came by on a "hike" Started talking to Wally and the other guy, and they bragged about the fish. They admitted that they knew it was illegal and laughed about it. Young ladies left, and about 20 minutes later came back wearing their game warden uniforms. Arrested the guys, confiscated their equipment, including truck and boat. They ended up in jail one night, eventually got the equipment etc. back, but had to pay a $3,000 fine each! I thought this was wonderful Karma!

43It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Thu May 06, 2021 6:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Too funny for Mr. Know-It-All !!!

I agree. There are rules for a reason. You don't get to decide which rules you observe and which you don't ~ ~ ~ unless it's on a cooking question. THEN you get to do what ever you like! LOL

44It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Thu May 06, 2021 6:32 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Leftovers tonight ~ planned on having this last night but it just didn't sound good to me then.

Tonight it was just fine......

I added a salad and a roll from the freezer, toasted in the toaster oven.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 05_06_12

45It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Thu May 06, 2021 7:19 pm

Cookin Lore

I put some Tilapia in the oven, will have some brussels sprouts with it.  Not ambitious for my supper after making two pots of sauce to use tomorrow.

OK.  Sent a picture to you, Beth.  It actually looks very nice!

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 05_06_13

46It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Thu May 06, 2021 9:09 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Some soup today, I boiled my pork ribs ( 1 full rack ) till tender, I put away 2/3 of them, then I added 1 can of red beans, 1 can of diced tomato, 1 can of green beans and a quarter of sliced cabbage, cooked them again for another 10 minutes, oh boy, they turned out so good, so fresh, Dirk and I ate it with rice, my Mil ate it with a piece of toast, I was surprised she finished the whole thing Razz

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 18304910

47It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Thu May 06, 2021 9:51 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

You may have a convert in her!

But I doubt she'll be sharing your chili paste. Sometimes old is too old to adjust to new tastes. LOL

Your soup does, truly, look fresh & delicious!

48It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Fri May 07, 2021 12:00 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had a bologna on white low carb bread.
Some mozzarella cheese in olive oil, and an raspberry Danish for dessert.
Tuna had mashed potatoes and butter pats in the center like a volcano.
I know...... it's a weird supper, but it hit the spot.

bethk likes this post

49It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Fri May 07, 2021 1:48 pm

Cookin Lore

I made two pots full of marinara sauce yesterday. Today it's being converted into chili, sauce with meatballs, and chicken cacciatore. My kitchen is supposed to be taken out next week, getting ready for the new one. I expect to not have a functioning kitchen for 3-4 weeks.. My neighbours have gone to their summer place. I have their key and can use their freezer for storing prepared food.

50It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Fri May 07, 2021 6:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

My mung bean sprout experiment came to an end today ~ they were what's for supper! LOL

I learned something: You cannot have the growing sprouts in an area where they get light, even if it's just a little light. I had them in small wide mouth mason jars and rinsed/drained them twice a day. I leaned the jars in a container so the water didn't allow them to become water logged or soggy. They grew really fast ~ but they ended up being very stringy and had started growing leaves by this morning ~ ~ not the big, fat, white sprouts I was expecting.

But, hey, you live and learn. I'm going to try again in a dark environment.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 05_07_17

The 'spicy' mix of sprouts that's in the other 2 jars are ready, I think, to be well rinsed/drained and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator to be added to sandwiches or salads or as a bit of fru-fru garnish on a supper dish.

Supper was really tasty even if the bean sprouts wilted a lot because of their skinny size. But they were tasty with the beef & pea pods.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 2 05_07_18

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum