Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking?

+2
Cookin Lore
UNCLE JIMMY
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 9]

101It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Fri May 14, 2021 1:52 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Know what?? Haven't heard from Norm in a long time.
Did I miss something? Last I remember, was cooking for Charlie's friends.

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

102It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Fri May 14, 2021 4:59 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Haven't been doing any cooking. I am eating Stouffer's. Some I can eat, some are not good. I am taking an appetite stimulant. Hopefully that will turn things around.

Found a baby rattlesnake outside our back door. Not good. April and May are snake months. Joe had a broom and dustpan with long handles, so he swept up the snake into a box and took it to the creek. Katie couldn't even look at it. They don't bother me as long as they are not touching me.

The third floor AC/heating quit working so we had a repair man out. Turns out it is some kind of electrical board that went bad. They wanted $900 for the part and service. Joe got the part number and found it on Amazon for $35. The only problem is that there isn't much room to get a hand in the space.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

103It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Fri May 14, 2021 9:57 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Know what?? Haven't heard from Norm in a long time.

I just contacted Charlie and Norm is fine.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

104It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Fri May 14, 2021 10:09 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Know what?? Haven't heard from Norm in a long time.

I just contacted Charlie and Norm is fine.

"Great".....thanks Beth.

105It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Fri May 14, 2021 10:59 am

NormM

NormM

Sorry, I have not been doing much cooking. Lots of take-out and sandwiches. Last weekend, Charlie had friends over again. More came this time. I smoked a pork shoulder, pulled, pork ribs and grilled some lamb on skewers. They started arriving as things were coming off the smoker and grill and I didn't think to take a picture but a couple days later we had some more grilled lamb and leftover sides.It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 20210510

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

106It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Fri May 14, 2021 1:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, so another 'KARMA' story.......

I went to the grocery store today because I needed to pick up a few things. The lady in front of me got to the end of her order and asked the cashier to pull back on a pound of bacon & two boxes of cereal (that I had noticed were BOGO when I walked in the store). She said those items would take her over her limit.

When the cashier bagged her groceries I just said, "go ahead and ring up her items on another order'. I didn't have much cash with me but I knew I could easily put it on a credit card as I use it for everything. The 3 items totaled $8.79....no big deal. The woman insisted I really didn't need to do that but I said it's no big deal, no need for you to make another trip back to the store ~ and, besides, people have done the same for me..... So, she thanked me profusely and left the store. The cashier handed me the receipt and the coupons the store was printing out ~ usually it's cents off on something you usually buy, etc. But one of the coupons was for $7.00 off my next order of $35 or more.....and I knew I had more than $35 worth in my order today.

So, end of story is it cost me $1.79 to make a lady's day and also make the cashier get a smile....

Priceless......

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

107It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Fri May 14, 2021 2:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Sorry, I have not been doing much cooking. Lots of take-out and sandwiches.  Last weekend, Charlie had friends over again. More came this time.  I smoked a pork shoulder, pulled, pork ribs and grilled some lamb on skewers.  They started arriving as things were coming off the smoker and grill and I didn't think to take a picture but a couple days later we had some more grilled lamb and leftover sides.

Well, now you know, Norm ~ ~ if we don't hear from you for a couple days we hunt you down!

Tell Charlie "Thanks!" from me for answering my message. Bet he thought, 'Geesh! What's WRONG with those people?'

LOL

NormM, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

108It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Fri May 14, 2021 2:41 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
NormM wrote:Sorry, I have not been doing much cooking. Lots of take-out and sandwiches.  Last weekend, Charlie had friends over again. More came this time.  I smoked a pork shoulder, pulled, pork ribs and grilled some lamb on skewers.  They started arriving as things were coming off the smoker and grill and I didn't think to take a picture but a couple days later we had some more grilled lamb and leftover sides.

Well, now you know, Norm ~ ~ if we don't hear from you for a couple days we hunt you down!

Tell Charlie "Thanks!" from me for answering my message.  Bet he thought, 'Geesh! What's WRONG with those people?'

LOL

See how we worry about our friends. Just like family. I love you

bethk and NormM like this post

109It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Fri May 14, 2021 4:57 pm

Cookin Lore

NormM wrote:Sorry, I have not been doing much cooking. Lots of take-out and sandwiches.  Last weekend, Charlie had friends over again. More came this time.  I smoked a pork shoulder, pulled, pork ribs and grilled some lamb on skewers.  They started arriving as things were coming off the smoker and grill and I didn't think to take a picture but a couple days later we had some more grilled lamb and leftover sides.It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 20210510

You're lucky that you can cook for others! We're in lockdown, no visiting until our COVID numbers come down.
THose lamb skewers look really good. I bought a small lamb roast a few days ago, think I'll do that tomorrow. Lamb on skewers.

bethk and NormM like this post

110It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Fri May 14, 2021 6:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I cut up some chicken thighs today ~ I buy them on sale, skin-on, bone-in, when they're cheap and then when I make a meal like tonight's Korean BBQ Chicken Chunks I just cut out the bone, fat & skin (it all goes into the freezer 'parts' bag for making stock at a later date). Then I've got nice chicken meat that doesn't seem to dry out or get over cooked easily. I brown it in a bit of oil & butter (only takes a little) and when browned I simply add a couple tablespoons of the bottled Korean BBQ Sauce and let it simmer for a few minutes.

It's quick & easy and goes really well with plain rice and a green vegetable.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 05_14_12

111It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Fri May 14, 2021 7:56 pm

Cookin Lore

Leftover pork tenderloin for me tonight.  When I did the stuffed one a couple of days ago, I had put a plain one in the oven also.  Sliced that up tonight, added a large, sliced tomato with onion. s/p a little oil and some feta.  Cream cheese filled jalapenjo pepper served as a spicy addition to the pork.  Yumm!

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 05_14_10

112It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Fri May 14, 2021 8:09 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Looks good, Lore ~ where's the horseradish???

113It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Fri May 14, 2021 8:26 pm

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Looks good, Lore ~ where's the horseradish???
 I thought about the horseradish at first, but then I remembered that I had two large red jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese.  They were enough heat. LOL

I made headcheese again today. Some for me, some for uncle, but mostly for some friends of my son's. His friend Paul goes moose hunting every fall, and when I met him and his wife some time ago, we were talking about food. I said that I would love to have some moose, and I would make some headcheese for them. Well, I got the moose, and forgot about my promise. Last week my son reminded me. So, I decided that I'd better make it before my kitchen gets ripped out next week. With our COVID restrictions here in Ontario, who knows when I will have my kitchen finished. But looking forward to it!

114It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Fri May 14, 2021 9:02 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I forgot all about buying ice cream today ~ ~ checked something in the freezer and THERE IT WAS !!

Woo Hoo !!!

I don't often purchase ice cream because I have no self control. When I lived in Ohio I would go to Kroger and they carried the BEST ice cream with thick raspberry swirls and chocolate chunks. I look for it here and don't see anything close.....until today.

Raspberry Cone Crunch Ice Cream ! Vanilla ice cream with raspberry swirls and bits of sugar cone coated in chocolate.

It'll do.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 05_14_13

115It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Fri May 14, 2021 10:12 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had tuna salad sandwiches tonight. A garden salad for Tina also.And now, Because of Beth, I'm having Butter Pecan Ice cream right n o w !

bethk likes this post

116It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 15, 2021 1:53 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I finally cooked my Honey Walnut Shrimps today, it was so good, I added a bit of condensed milk in the sauce, it was so smooth, sweet and tangy ( also a bit of lemon juice ), I also cooked some sweet and soy sauce fried noodles, my favorite noodles from my childhood era.

My easy way. First thing, I roasted a handful of walnut, then drizzled some honey on them, set aside.
Cleaned, peeled and deveined the shrimps, I had 18 head off jumbo shrimps, wiped dried, dipped in lightly beaten egg white + a bit of salt, flash fried in hot oil, drained off the oil.
For the sauce, 1 cup of mayonnaise, 1 tbsp of honey, 1 tbsp of condensed milk, a few drops of lemon juice, a bit salt, mixed well. Poured in the fried shrimps and roasted walnut, mixed well

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 18583110
It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 18560510
It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 18480010

117It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 15, 2021 8:04 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:I finally cooked my Honey Walnut Shrimps today, it was so good, I added a bit of condensed milk in the sauce, it was so smooth, sweet and tangy ( also a bit of lemon juice ), I also cooked some sweet and soy sauce fried noodles, my favorite noodles from my childhood era.

My easy way. First thing, I roasted a handful of walnut, then drizzled some honey on them, set aside.
Cleaned, peeled and deveined the shrimps, I had 18 head off jumbo shrimps, wiped dried, dipped in lightly beaten egg white + a bit of salt, flash fried in hot oil, drained off the oil.
For the sauce, 1 cup of mayonnaise, 1 tbsp of honey, 1 tbsp of condensed milk, a few drops of lemon juice, a bit salt, mixed well. Poured in the fried shrimps and roasted walnut, mixed well

Ohhhhhh, it looks SO good! I've always been fascinated with the recipe ~ saw it on DDD at a restaurant in Canada and it seemed really involved and a long process. The ingredients really intrigued me.

If you have some of the sweetened condensed milk leftover and need to use it up you could try what I've done a couple times ~ stir it into iced coffee. It tastes like dessert in a glass! LOL

118It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 15, 2021 11:09 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Since the last dish with garbanzo beans was a hit I decided to give them a try again.

Yesterday I simmered a couple ham hocks for stock ~ which takes most of the day to get them to completely break down and get all the goodness from the bones. I kept checking as they were cooking and couldn't find ANY bits of meat, which I usually pull from the hocks to use in the finished dish, and that was really strange to me. But, this morning, my stock is nice and jellied in the refrigerator and I was able to peel off the layer of fat.

I did the 'quick' soak method with the garbanzo beans again ~ brought to a boil for 2 minutes, turned off and lid put on for 1 hour ~ drained and rinsed a few times when soaking time was done.

Now I have them in fresh water on a low simmer with the lid cracked open a bit ~ just in case they start to boil over.....oh what a mess that can be! But, no, mine are fine and just at a very low simmer.

After an hour I'll add some salt and let them go another 30 - 45 minutes until they're soft.

I'm going to use them with some braised kale ~ which is what the ham stock is for. I'm trying to decide if I want to add some smoked sausage or some of the finely diced ham to the dish. I'm going to try seasoning with Trader Joe's Traditional Tunisian Harissa ~ Hot Chili Pepper Paste with Herbs & Spices (copied from the label because I've never used it before.....)

Since Dane really liked the last garbanzo stew I made he's looking forward to supper tonight ~ even asked me this morning if I was going to make the kale tonight.

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

119It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 15, 2021 4:20 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I got the kale double washed & cut earlier so it was just a quick bit until it was time to start making my Kale & Garbanzo Stew for supper.

I decided to quarter some grape tomatoes since I had two packs (they were BOGO so it would be a shame not to take advantage....) and cut up an onion as a base for my stew. I got the onions & tomatoes going and then added a couple tablespoons of the tomato paste in a tube (so convenient when you just want a bit) and a good tablespoon of the Harissa.

Imelda ~ I think YOUR chili paste is just about the same amount of heat as in this Harissa!

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 05_15_12

Dane likes the heat more than I do so I have to temper how much I add so I can also enjoy the dish. When the onions & tomatoes had started to break down I added about 2 cups of the cooked garbanzos I simmered this morning. They're really good, almost nutty ~ they remind me in flavor of a roasted chestnut, the kind you have at Christmas added to the stuffing. Then I added about 1 1/2 cup of my ham hock stock and finally the washed & chopped kale.

It's really pretty ~ looks like Christmas in a pan!

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 05_15_13

I know the kale will lose a lot of the color but it should be tasty.

I'm going to braise some pork steak to go with it ~ thinking of cutting it into more bite size pieces to be spooned over the stew.....probably will braise it with some onion, too. We'll see ~ still thinking about that.

((.........to be continued......))

120It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 15, 2021 4:46 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda ~ how did you make your sweet and soy fried noodles? It looks really good!

A lot of times I want something different and never know quite how to fix some of the Chinese dishes. I probably have everything I would need ~ I even have Black Sweet Soy Sauce, a new favorite of mine! I'm so glad the last time I went to the Oriental Market in Orlando I thought to get some of the Chinese wine to use in different dishes. They have a different 'depth of flavor' that I just don't get when I use sherry or something else out of my liquor cabinet.

121It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 15, 2021 5:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, decision made on the pork ~ ~ bite size pieces it is!

I had two pork shoulder steaks that I pounded a bit to tenderize, then I seasoned them with the Hungarian Steak Rub we like and let them sit, sort of like a dry marinade. I took them out of the refrigerator after an hour and cut them into pieces and tossed them in plain flour since they were already well seasoned.

Then I browned them on both sides in some olive oil.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 05_15_14

when the pork was browned on both sides I added a chopped onion, seasoned with s&p and then spooned over some of the ham hock stock.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 05_15_15

I do really like when my stock is all jellied and thick with flavor!

Finally, I'll simmer the pork & onions until it's tender and cooked down. It will be tasty spooned over the kale & garbanzo stew.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 05_15_16

122It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 15, 2021 6:49 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Boy, I just love it when a meal I concoct in my head turns out to be REALLY good.

At the last minute I decided to grab a couple bakery rolls from the freezer to toast since there wasn't any starch to speak of in the meal ~ the garbanzos are some starch but more protein......

Dane ended up adding some Crystal Hot Sauce to his ~ the spice was just right for me. It wasn't H * O * T !!! but, rather hit a bit in the back of my throat ~ and very flavorful. I think I'll be using the harissa again. It was really spicy hot but when used with just a bit it added a great flavor.

The pork was tender and was more a 'condiment' instead of being a 'pork forward' meal. Altogether, I'd say it was a huge success.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 05_15_17

And Dane ended up having seconds.....

That alone tells me he enjoyed it!

123It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 15, 2021 7:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Tonight. Lamb kabobs done on my indoor grill, green lentils done with yellow pepper, parsley, olives, fire roasted red peppers from a jar, some oil, salt and pepper."

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 05_15_18

124It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 15, 2021 7:48 pm

Cookin Lore

WOW! You must have been sitting, just waiting for my message! That surely was the fastest ever! THANK YOU!

bethk likes this post

125It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 15, 2021 8:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:WOW!  You must have been sitting, just waiting for my message!  That surely was the fastest ever! THANK YOU!

Hahahahaha! I think I was texting on my phone and your email message popped up so I came over to my computer and copy/pasted and voila! ~ there it is!

LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum