Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking?

+2
Cookin Lore
UNCLE JIMMY
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 9]

151It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Fri May 21, 2021 12:42 pm

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:I am obviously very forgetful.  Who is the handsome Josh????

Joshua is our elder daughter's son.  He's going to be a senior at Perdue University in Indiana next year.....majoring in engineering (of what, I'm not sure) and Japanese.

I've not understood any of what Josh studied since he was in grade school.....

But it's so wonderful to see him!  The last time we saw him was just before the pandemic started in January when he and Andrea were at Disneyworld and we drove down to Downtown Disney to meet them for lunch.  

That's nice. I don't have any grandchildren, but I know I would be thrilled also to see mine if I had any. I enjoy seeing what my sister's grandchildren are doing! I understand about not understanding what the young people are studying. My sons are both in construction in some way, so I understand their jobs.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

152It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Fri May 21, 2021 2:01 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

No clue what to eat OR cook today. Tina is waiting for the neighbor to pick up her Z pack of pills from the CVS pharmacy.
My sciatic flared up, so I am limited for what I can do for now.

bethk likes this post

153It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Fri May 21, 2021 5:05 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, dear, Jimmy ~ I hope the flare up doesn't last long. It's awful to feel miserable and not get any relief......

Dane played golf today with his 'Old Codgers' group ~ he said they came in 2nd so he got his $2 'bet' back and an extra dollar ~ Woo Hoo !!!

Andrea, Josh & I went out to lunch at The Chop House. Andrea & I had salads that were lovely and fresh. Josh got pasta, a typical favorite for him.

We talked about what to have for supper and she mentioned she'd really like one of the Cuban Sandwiches her dad has bragged about ~ ~ SO.....we're going out for Cuban sandwiches tonight. I'm sure I'll find something I like on the menu. They use to have a gumbo that was so, SOOOOO good but they took it off the menu. Now I have to come up with something else that I like that doesn't have cheese or cilantro ~ ((sigh))

Tomorrow we'll go to order a couple chairs that I've been putting off forever ~ and then we'll go for lunch at Wolfgang Puck's Bar & Grill. They always do a nice job there on whatever you order.

And on Sunday we'll have the two prime rib eyes Andrea & I just picked up at Sam's Club.

they leave on Monday so we have to pack in everything in just a few days.

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

154It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Fri May 21, 2021 6:25 pm

Cookin Lore

Sounds like a great visit. I picked up two Indian dishes from a local restaurant. One a vegetarian vegetable dish done with yogurt that was really nice. But a little mild for me. The other is a lamb "Karahi" really good. Nice and spicy. There's enough for leftovers tomorrow. I think when I've been cooking, I made things the dishes too dry. Getting things from an Indian restaurant gives me a better Idea of what the dishes should be.

Fishing son called.................. he's got fresh perch today, and I really can't cook right now. That's OK. He's got a freezer.

155It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Fri May 21, 2021 8:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:Sounds like a great visit.  I picked up two Indian dishes from a local restaurant.  One a vegetarian vegetable dish done with yogurt that was really nice.  But a little mild for me.  The other is a lamb "Karahi" really good. Nice and spicy.   There's enough for leftovers tomorrow.  I think when I've been cooking, I made things the dishes too dry.  Getting things from an Indian restaurant gives me a better Idea of what the dishes should be.  

Fishing son called.................. he's got fresh perch today, and I really can't cook right now. That's OK.  He's got a freezer.

I'm GREENwith jealousy at the thought of a fish fry with the perch......nothing to compare!

Ordering from the Indian restaurant sounds like a great idea to dissect the dishes you like so you can make them after your kitchen is done.

156It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Fri May 21, 2021 9:31 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had plain pasta ( ditalini ) with butter, and salami sandwich.
Simple and filling.

bethk likes this post

157It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 22, 2021 10:01 am

Cookin Lore

THanks.  Danny is VERY LUCKY to have a very understanding wife, they both have good jobs and can afford to do the things they like.  The large motor, (there's also a small one for trolling) had to be basically rebuilt last year, and the trailer had something wrong, all together almost $10,000. The fish he catches comes at a very high cost.  And, they have no children which we all know also cost a lot of $$$$. LOL

He told me last year that he could be getting a launch spot for the year for I think $150. but he stopped doing that.  He never goes out fishing alone, there are generally two or three others, and he started to just say "Who's paying for the launch today?"  And, he also has learned to "let" the others pay for things like worms, minnows etc.  However, I am glad that he likes to share.

158It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 22, 2021 2:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

No clue for what to eat, or make today.

bethk likes this post

159It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 22, 2021 5:55 pm

Cookin Lore

I'll be having the last of my lamb dinner from last night. I had ordered two mains on purpose, ate the rest of the veggy dish for lunch, gonna have the lamb with some rice that I had in my freezer and will make some local fresh asparagus.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

160It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 22, 2021 6:10 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We are "shrugging shoulders" to Pizza delivery...
We'll see when DD gets home from work. huh!

bethk likes this post

161It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 22, 2021 8:12 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Last night I cooked some roast beef, I poured 1 sachet of onion soup mix and 1 sachet of ranch seasoning, added some water on my chuck roast, cooked in slow cooker ( Instant Pot) for 6 hours, it was perfectly done, tender and juicy, I let it cooled overnight, this morning I spooned off the solidified fat layer, it was 1 cm thick.

I added some potatoes and  3 carrots that D picked from his yard, the carrot was so sweet

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 18956910
It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 18999910

162It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 22, 2021 8:14 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:We are "shrugging shoulders" to Pizza delivery...
We'll see when DD gets home from work. huh!

Jimmy, I hope you and Tina enjoy your dinner

163It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 22, 2021 8:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Boy, Imelda, don't you just love it when a meal comes out tender and tasty and everyone enjoys it? The Instant Pot is a nice kitchen tool!

We picked Lyn up this morning and we went to the furniture store to finally order a couple chairs I've wanted to order since we remodeled ~ I just couldn't decide on the fabric choices. But I'm tired of having the empty spaces and made up my mind that TODAY WAS THE DAY I would order something. I think I'm going to like the fabrics I chose with the help of Lyn & Andrea ~ ~ Josh didn't have an opinion....LOL

Then we went to Wolfgang Puck's for lunch. All our meals were very tasty, with the exception of my salad being over dressed. But it wasn't so much that I couldn't eat it so I'll just keep that in mind for the next time and be sure to order it with the dressing on the side.

I had an Asian Chicken Salad

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 05_22_12

Lyn had a Gorgonzola Salad

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 05_22_13

Andrea had a Pork Schnitzel with Austrian Potato Salad

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 05_22_14

And Josh enjoyed Grouper on Forbidden Rice with Pea Shoots

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 05_22_15

I love the fact that EVERYONE knows to not start eating until I take a picture of their meal....Hahahahahaha!

164It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 22, 2021 9:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Boy, Imelda, don't you just love it when a meal comes out tender and tasty and everyone enjoys it?  The Instant Pot is a nice kitchen tool!

We picked Lyn up this morning and we went to the furniture store to finally order a couple chairs I've wanted to order since we remodeled ~ I just couldn't decide on the fabric choices.  But I'm tired of having the empty spaces and made up my mind that TODAY WAS THE DAY I would order something.  I think I'm going to like the fabrics I chose with the help of Lyn & Andrea ~ ~ Josh didn't have an opinion....LOL

Then we went to Wolfgang Puck's for lunch.  All our meals were very tasty, with the exception of my salad being over dressed.  But it wasn't so much that I couldn't eat it so I'll just keep that in mind for the next time and be sure to order it with the dressing on the side.

I had an Asian Chicken Salad

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 05_22_12

Lyn had a Gorgonzola Salad

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 05_22_13

Andrea had a Pork Schnitzel with Austrian Potato Salad

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 05_22_14

And Josh enjoyed Grouper on Forbidden Rice with Pea Shoots

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 05_22_15

I love the fact that EVERYONE knows to not start eating until I take a picture of their meal....Hahahahahaha!

Or what ?? They get hit with the whip ??

bethk likes this post

165It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 22, 2021 9:52 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

Or what ??    They get hit with the whip ??

Yeah, probably! Hahahahahahaha!

166It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sun May 23, 2021 3:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Andrea & Josh will be flying home tomorrow so today we're having Josh's favorite meal: Grilled steaks. Andrea & I went to Sam's Club and picked up these two prime ribeye steaks. They're a good 1-1/2" thick. Earlier I salted liberally and sprinkled with a bit of baking soda and let them sit uncovered in the refrigerator. I saw something on one of the cooking shows ~ don't remember which one, maybe America Test Kitchen ~ about the baking soda changing the ph of the beef and allowing the salt to draw out the moisture from the meat but then the baking soda allows the salt/moisture to be pulled back into the meat for flavorful, moist steaks.

I've tried it a couple times and thought it worked so I continue doing it. I no longer pepper my meat because it seems to get a 'burned' taste from the hot charcoal fire.....but that could just be my imagination. Doesn't matter. Anyone who wants pepper can do it at the table..... LOL

Anyway, I'll let the steaks sit on the counter a good 2 hours to come to room temperature before searing them, edges first, over the coals. I'm going to shoot for a solid 123° and then resting time because Josh likes his steaks rarer than medium rare. I don't want to disappoint him!

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 05_23_12

167It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sun May 23, 2021 6:49 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The steaks got a little more well done.....but they still cut like butter.

The flavor was excellent and they were moist and tender and really beef-y ~ but I should have only cooked one for the four of us. We've got a lot of leftovers.

But, it won't go to waste. I'm sure there will be steak salad and steak sandwich lunches this week.

Josh said it was really good ~ and I didn't see him push any away on his plate.

I'm completely stuffed.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 05_23_13

168It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sun May 23, 2021 7:01 pm

Cookin Lore

I really wish that I had a balcony. However, I am happy with everything else in my building, so I will just make do. A steak that's a little overdone is still better than no steak, right?

169It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sun May 23, 2021 7:37 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Andrea & Josh will be flying home tomorrow so today we're having Josh's favorite meal:  Grilled steaks.  Andrea & I went to Sam's Club and picked up these two prime ribeye steaks.  They're a good 1-1/2" thick.  Earlier I salted liberally and sprinkled with a bit of baking soda and let them sit uncovered in the refrigerator.  I saw something on one of the cooking shows ~ don't remember which one, maybe America Test Kitchen ~ about the baking soda changing the ph of the beef and allowing the salt to draw out the moisture from the meat but then the baking soda allows the salt/moisture to be pulled back into the meat for flavorful, moist steaks.

I've tried it a couple times and thought it worked so I continue doing it.  I no longer pepper my meat because it seems to get a 'burned' taste from the hot charcoal fire.....but that could just be my imagination.  Doesn't matter.  Anyone who wants pepper can do it at the table.....   LOL

Anyway, I'll let the steaks sit on the counter a good 2 hours to come to room temperature before searing them, edges first, over the coals.  I'm going to shoot for a solid 123° and then resting time because Josh likes his steaks rarer than medium rare.  I don't want to disappoint him!

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 05_23_12

MY my, steak looks so good.. love the marble, delicious.. I bet all your grandchildren love to visit you, you "spoil" them pretty good Razz

I baked a pan of Lasagna, I used the oven ready lasagna, browned some meat with onion, yellow and green  bellpepper ( homegrown ), added a jar of ready sauce, 1 can of diced tomato, same basil from the yard, bunch of cheese ( mozzarella, ricotta and mixed shredded chesse ), it was so good, I had second serving, no bread, but I split 1 croissant for the 3 of us ) and some salad

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 18853410
It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 18874110
It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 18789410

170It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sun May 23, 2021 7:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Just ordered pizza / colimare / tortellini alfredo / and
burgers and fries from Blackstone's bar and grill.
DD is on her way to pick it all up.
It blows the diet, but it's Sunday. One of those..... diet all week, and let
loose on Sunday. And... I'm going to have a beer or two with my pizza.

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

171It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sun May 23, 2021 8:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lore ~ the steak, although more done than I would have liked, was still exceptional in flavor and tenderness. It was worth every penny charged. We're fortunate that spending on food is not where we ever seem to cut corners. It does, however, spoil us and makes us less likely to go out for an expensive restaurant meal. I've found very few restaurants that can come close to the quality and flavor that I can do with beef at home.

Imelda, your lasagna looks fantastic! I'll just bet you weren't the only one having seconds!

Jimmy ~ enjoy your pizza and Italian feast. Eating healthy has to be tempered with REALLY enjoying a favorite meal on occasion. One day a week is fine.....and I bet you really don't overeat because we never want to feel uncomfortable ~ we're old enough to realize that feeling just isn't any fun anymore. LOL

172It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sun May 23, 2021 8:30 pm

Cookin Lore

The last time I went out for a very nice meal was Oct. 3. My son Michael's b-day is sept. 27, but he was golfing with his friends and brother, so we went out a week later. I had the most amazing rib steak 20 oz, I knew that I'd be taking half home. I just might order if as takeout in the next few days, since I have no kitchen! I think it was $46.00

I had a big salad today, and some chicken caciatore that I had in my freezer. Made some angel hair pasta in my thermos. I either saw this on tv or on the net a while ago. put your pasta in a thermos, add boiling water and it's done in about 10 minutes. Worked great!

173It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sun May 23, 2021 8:58 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The feast....

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 Blacks10

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

174It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sun May 23, 2021 9:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:  Made some angel hair pasta in my thermos.  I either saw this on tv or on the net a while ago.  put your pasta in a thermos, add boiling water and it's done in about 10 minutes.  Worked great!

That's a great idea! I think I've seen something like that but never tried it. Good to know it actually works!

175It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sun May 23, 2021 9:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:The feast....

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 7 Blacks10

If you say you're hungry in an hour you'll get knocked in the head! Looks like there's something for everyone's taste.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum