Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking?

+2
Cookin Lore
UNCLE JIMMY
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 9]

176It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sun May 23, 2021 9:25 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:The feast....

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 Blacks10

Delicious feast Jimmy, did you also get your beer?

bethk likes this post

177It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sun May 23, 2021 9:36 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Lore ~ the steak, although more done than I would have liked, was still exceptional in flavor and tenderness.  It was worth every penny charged.  We're fortunate that spending on food is not where we ever seem to cut corners.  It does, however, spoil us and makes us less likely to go out for an expensive restaurant meal.  I've found very few restaurants that can come close to the quality and flavor that I can do with beef at home.

Imelda, your lasagna looks fantastic!  I'll just bet you weren't the only one having seconds!

Jimmy ~ enjoy your pizza and Italian feast.  Eating healthy has to be tempered with REALLY enjoying a favorite meal on occasion.  One day a week is fine.....and I bet you really don't overeat because we never want to feel uncomfortable ~ we're old enough to realize that feeling just isn't any fun anymore.  LOL

I also like our own steak better, it's also cheaper to grill at home, Dirk does a good job on the grill.

My sister in-law came every Sunday ( most Sunday ), we go to church to take holy communion, we are still watching live streaming mass and go to the church's courtyard to take communion, so she has dinner with us, she also liked my lasagna, I cut some and warp it in a foil for her to take home. I cut the rest to 2 portion, wrap each in foil and store them in freezer, that will be dinner for D and his mom while I'm away for 3 weeks. I also wrapped some macaroni schotel that I baked the other day, tomorrow we are going to Costco to stock up some ham, breads, cheese , salad and else so they can have their easy daily lunch/dinner

bethk likes this post

178It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sun May 23, 2021 10:27 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:The feast....

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 Blacks10

If you say you're hungry in an hour you'll get knocked in the head!  Looks like there's something for everyone's taste.

Yep.....we all picked over each item. I love calamari... Tina enjoyed her
tortellini . The chef "Pietro", doesn't skimp on portion size either.

bethk likes this post

179It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Mon May 24, 2021 9:33 am

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:  Made some angel hair pasta in my thermos.  I either saw this on tv or on the net a while ago.  put your pasta in a thermos, add boiling water and it's done in about 10 minutes.  Worked great!

That's a great idea!  I think I've seen something like that but never tried it.  Good to know it actually works!

My thermos is a regular coffee one, so the top/opening is small. I think one of the widemouth thermoses made for soup would be more practical. But it was great. Pasta was perfect.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

180It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Mon May 24, 2021 7:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We drove Andrea & Josh to the airport to fly home this noon. Naturally, we got them there an hour and 45 minutes before their flight as recommended. Dane & I were about 5 miles from the airport when she texted to say their flight was delayed for and hour and 20 minutes.....

((sigh))

But we had a wonderful visit.

One of the reasons she came was because I had told her we were planning to buy Lyn & Bill's golf cart when their new one that's on order is delivered in August. She didn't want us to firm up the deal with them because she & Jim wanted to buy us a new golf cart for Christmas! But since they had to tell us about it they might as well come and buy one NOW.

So we went golf cart shopping and found a lovely cart with all the bells & whistles ~ it'll be delivered on Wednesday.

It's not a 2022 model, but new and was available as soon as they add a few items we wanted (like seat belts ~ that I WANTED.....). Our current golf cart was about 7 years old when we bought it used in 2013. Dane does all the maintenance on it and it works fine but it's noisy (loud muffler if any muffler at all....) and I think the exhaust needs to have a better way to be diverted from the cart but he says there's nothing that can be done.

So, a new Yamaha will have 'Quiet-Tech' and a better emissions system.

It is just so very generous of the kids to think they should buy something so expensive for us.

But they wouldn't take 'No' for an answer from us so we just accepted it gracefully.....

And we're both smiling from ear to ear!

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 05_21_11

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

181It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Mon May 24, 2021 8:27 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

As you would say Beth....

WOO!  HOO!....... Lovely machine

##########################################

Leftover tortellini alfredo from yesterday.

bethk likes this post

182It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Mon May 24, 2021 9:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We went out for lunch before leaving for the airport so it was just 'pick-and-choose-what-you-like' tonight. There are plenty of leftovers from the meals we fixed.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

183It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Tue May 25, 2021 1:07 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

WE went to Costco, they picked up bunch of good stuffs, ham, cheese, salami, a big bag of greens, a dozen of artisan breads, pastry filled with strawberries, cream cheese and more, granolas, I think they are set for weeks. For lunch today, we bought a big pan of pizza, plenty of leftover for later, tomorrow I'll have a haircut at the city we used to live before we moved in here ( 65 miles away, I haven't found a good stylist yet here), then we'll drive for another 45 miles further to  see some friends and plan to have dim sum ( Chinese style brunch ), my MiL is welcome to join us if she wants, she said yes, but we'll see tomorrow, it will be 3 hour drive roundtrip. I'll be leaving for Houston on Wednesday, I haven't packed yet, I ordered some cakes and food from my friend to bring to Houston, my niece loves good cakes and food, she also loves her aunt cooking Razz

bethk likes this post

184It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Tue May 25, 2021 8:55 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda, have a safe trip to Texas and take lots of pictures of what you and your niece cook!

I'm sure Dirk and his mother will be fine while you're gone and will look forward to your return and making them your fabulous meals again the end of June.

Have fun!

185It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Tue May 25, 2021 9:23 am

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:We drove Andrea & Josh to the airport to fly home this noon.  Naturally, we got them there an hour and 45 minutes before their flight as recommended.  Dane & I were about 5 miles from the airport when she texted to say their flight was delayed for and hour and 20 minutes.....

((sigh))

But we had a wonderful visit.

One of the reasons she came was because I had told her we were planning to buy Lyn & Bill's golf cart when their new one that's on order is delivered in August.  She didn't want us to firm up the deal with them because she & Jim wanted to buy us a new golf cart for Christmas!  But since they had to tell us about it they might as well come and buy one NOW.

So we went golf cart shopping and found a lovely cart with all the bells & whistles ~ it'll be delivered on Wednesday.

It's not a 2022 model, but new and was available as soon as they add a few items we wanted (like seat belts ~ that I WANTED.....).  Our current golf cart was about 7 years old when we bought it used in 2013.  Dane does all the maintenance on it and it works fine but it's noisy (loud muffler if any muffler at all....) and I think the exhaust needs to have a better way to be diverted from the cart but he says there's nothing that can be done.

So, a new Yamaha will have 'Quiet-Tech' and a better emissions system.  

It is just so very generous of the kids to think they should buy something so expensive for us.

But they wouldn't take 'No' for an answer from us so we just accepted it gracefully.....

And we're both smiling from ear to ear!

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 05_21_11

What a great gift! Lucky you, great "kids". I have only had one golf cart ride and I was scared on it! No seatbelts, very bumpy road (Belize) and a driver who seemed to be hell bent on showing me the whole island in about an hour! I am a bad passenger in the best of situations, and I really, really would have loved a seatbelt, and to be the driver.

It was on my cruise last year, visiting friends who spend part of the winter in Belize. Great visit anyway.

186It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Tue May 25, 2021 6:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a 'single' pork tenderloin, which is unusual from the way they usually package them 2 / pack.....

I defrosted it and cut the thin & odd parts into small bits for a pork stir fry (aka: sweet & sour pork) and ended up with enough of a tenderloin 'chunk' for the two of us. I just seared it in a bit of oil & butter and then added some of the Korean BBQ Sauce ~ just enough to coat it and give the boring pork some flavor.

I sauteed half a head of cabbage and seasoned it with some of the Cajun seasoning. Asparagus got steamed in the microwave and just added a bit of butter and s&p.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 05_25_13

187It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Tue May 25, 2021 8:15 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had leftovers from the Italian restaurant meals we had the other night.....I had a slice of pizza with sausage topping.
It was Dr. Day for Tina. She was thinking of a meatloaf, but too late getting home finding time and effort to cook.

bethk likes this post

188It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Wed May 26, 2021 10:37 am

Cookin Lore

It's been a little over a week since my kitchen became unusable. And, gotta tell you. i'M TIRED OF IT! I thought I would handle washing my few little dishes in a bowl in the bathroom wouldn't bother me, I am sooooo spoiled. I expect that at any moment HOARDERS will show up with a film crew! I hope that when they come they will also send one of their professional organizers! LOL

Cabinets were all delivered yesterday, installation crew coming today.

Just kidding here, of course, I am very grateful that I can do this.

189It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Wed May 26, 2021 11:27 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

A post from Lore:

"Construction ~ at my place"

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 05_26_11

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 05_26_12

bethk likes this post

190It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Wed May 26, 2021 11:29 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

On a bright side.......

If there's anything you need you don't have to search through the cabinets to find it.

And your cabinets are there ready to be put in!

191It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Wed May 26, 2021 6:46 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I thawed a whole chicken and spatchcocked it to cook it on the gas grill. We split a baked potato and I reheated the rest of the green beans from the other night.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 05_26_13

Our new golf cart was delivered this afternoon. I spent 3 hours trying to get a call through to the local AAA Office to add it to our insurance. They have the most irritating phone system there. I finally got in the new cart and drove over to the office (about 1-1/2 miles) only to find our agent retired and the other 3 insurance agents were just kind of sitting around chatting.

((sigh))

But, I got the cart covered so now if an asteroid falls from the sky and lands on our cart, we're insured!

192It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Wed May 26, 2021 7:12 pm

Cookin Lore

That sounds like such fun, driving the golf cart around.  Sort of like us driving over to the neighbours on our John Deere garden tractor sometimes.  

I ordered dinner delivered from a local Greek restaurant.  Salmon, a lot of rice, some oven roasted small potatoes, a salad and way too much garlic bread .  YUMMY!

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 05_26_10

193It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Wed May 26, 2021 7:55 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:That sounds like such fun, driving the golf cart around.  Sort of like us driving over to the neighbours on our John Deere garden tractor sometimes.  

I ordered dinner delivered from a local Greek restaurant.  Salmon, a lot of rice, some oven roasted small potatoes, a salad and way too much garlic bread .  YUMMY!

Your meal looks yummy! I know you'll be ready for 'home-cooked' as soon as your kitchen is put back together but isn't it kind of fun to order something different for a change of pace?

Driving around in a golf cart really is great fun. We have 'multi modol' cart paths, apart from the streets for golf carts, bicycles, runners & walkers ~ I can go to restaurants, grocery stores, clothing stores/department stores, etc. and never have to use a car. If it rains I just roll down the sides and zip myself in.

It's nice to have a second vehicle for times like this week when Dane is working and needs the car. I really enjoy the peaceful ride to wherever I want to go ~ it goes about 20 MPH so I have time to notice the beautiful plants and lots of birds that seem unfazed by people being around.

194It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Wed May 26, 2021 8:07 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had meatloaf, mashed potatoes, stuffing ( stove top in the box ), and gravy.
Tina made it. It was good.

bethk likes this post

195It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Wed May 26, 2021 10:06 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I, too, like the Stove Top Stuffing.

It's easy, it's quick and it tastes good.

196It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Thu May 27, 2021 6:44 pm

Cookin Lore

I had another seafood dinner, tonight from a different restaurant.  More expensive, but you know what they say.  You get what you pay for.  I had some perfectly done broccoli, carrots and roasted potatoes.  And, the biggest piece of Arctic char it was a whole fillet.  Enough for lunch tomorrow.

This restaurant has pickup only, no delivery, and you have to order 24 hours ahead.  I spoke with the owner when she brought my order out to my car.  She said they decided to do "order ahead" so that they know ahead of time what they have to have on hand, and don't fill the fridge with food they end up throwing away.  

Our restaurants are suffering terribly.  Hopefully next week they will be allowed to open patios to have at least outdoor dining.  

I had prepared some meals that I can microwave, but am tired of them, so I am going to treat myself with well prepared meals until I can cook again.  Washing dishes in my bathroom, in a bowl is also a PITA!

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 05_27_10

197It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Thu May 27, 2021 6:55 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Personally, I think you're making a wise choice, Lore. It may be a bit pricier than making it yourself but if you factor in all the extra work of cleaning up in your 'make shift' kitchen, it's well worth it. And you get to have something out of the ordinary and get ideas of how to replicate the meals you like when your kitchen is back in place.

I say, "Go for it!"

I know I just made a spatchcocked whole chicken on the grill last night but Dane had mentioned something about it being a long time since we've had wings ~ ~ and you guessed it, I couldn't get them out of my head.

So, tonight I did wings on the grill ~ his got rolled around with his HOT wing sauce from Buffalo Wild Wings (I buy the sauce for him when I'm near one of their restaurants....) and I had mine with Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce. I did sweet potato slices on a piece of foil on the grill seasoned with a bit of olive oil and s&p. I had a bunch of red beets in the refrigerator so I cleaned them and had the stems/greens and one small chopped red beet tonight. Another night we'll have the remaining two cooked red beets.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 05_27_13

198It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Thu May 27, 2021 7:09 pm

Cookin Lore

THanks, Beth. I think you all know here that I love fish. But, picking up fish and chips is not for me. I want fish, not a lot of batter and grease. Now don't get me wrong, I love fried stuff too, love pizza, wings, etc., etc., but I get that kind of food when I go out with my children.

I tried to order from a Korean restaurant a few days ago, but the phone wasn't picked up, and on some of the ethnic restaurants it's difficult for me to order because I'm not familiar with the food. It's a learning process!

Kitchen cabinets are in, but little bits and pieces have to be done. Countertop will be another two weeks, so I won't be cooking any time soon! LOL

199It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Fri May 28, 2021 2:46 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I needed a way to use up some of the leftover grilled chicken so I decided to make a nice chicken salad for my lunch for today and tomorrow. Well, that used only half of what I have leftover (the entire breast meat and a thigh.....) but it sure is tasty. I like to add different things every now and then to change the taste.

Today I was hungry for the 'sweet' version so I added quartered green grapes, chopped celery & cubed chicken. The dressing was a combination of Hellmann's, Miracle Whip, Sour Cream with a bit of sugar, home-grown dried tarragon, Penzey's Sweet Curry Powder, chives and parsley from the patio pots. Oh, and I also toasted some slivered almonds (I always have nuts in the freezer to stick in the toaster oven on a piece of foil ~ quick & easy)

I have to say, this Sweet Chicken Salad was exactly what I was hungry for. Sure am glad I have enough leftover for tomorrow!

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 05_28_14

Neighbor Jim stopped by to firm up the details for the patio party he's hosting at his house in a couple weeks. Since I'm the President of the homeowners' social club it's my job to send out a notice to the neighborhood.

We got to chatting about what I was going to fix for supper and he said, "Why don't I take you guys out tonight?"

Sounds good to me! Dane's done a bunch of little jobs for him (showing him how to charge the battery on his golf cart and switching out a couple lights....nothing big and nothing Dane would accept payment for.....).

We decided to go to a place about 3 miles away in the Sumter Landing Town Center ~ Red Sauce ~ an Italian leaning place that has a pretty extensive menu including other dishes as well. And we can get there by using our golf carts!

I sure wish everyone could avail themselves of all the places we have available to us for inside, outside and carry-out dining. Since we're a retirement community there was a big push to get everyone who wanted to be vaccinated the chance to be protected. I'm sure that had a big part of why we're much more 'open' than other parts of the world.

200It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Fri May 28, 2021 3:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane always puts out flags / decorations lining our yard & garage for holidays. Here's our flag lined yard:

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 05_28_16

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 05_28_15

When I was outside snapping a picture I noticed our Bird of Paradise has two blooms ~ I hadn't noticed them before because they're on the back of the plant, next to the garage wall.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? - Page 8 05_28_17

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum