Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.

+3
Imelda HL
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 10]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugs, that's outrageous, especially since you are still recovering from your hospital stay. I would be livid and would let everyone in ear shot KNOW how unhappy I was. I don't mince words when I'm really angry.......

cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I still have a huge amount of chicken thighs in the freezer.  I'm glad I wrap them individually to freeze so I can thaw just what I want for a meal, whether it's for the two of us or company.

Today I had 3 thighs thawing and had to come up with an idea.  I really do like the Jacques method of crispy skin thighs.....

Place thighs skin side down and cut on both sides of the bone to help the thighs flatten in a skillet.  I also trim the excess fat/skin that's easy to trim.  Season the meat side with s&p.  When it's time to cook, pat dry with paper towels and place skin side down in a dry, cold non-stick skillet.  Turn on to medium, add a lid and let them cook for 20 minutes.  At the 20 minute mark you may have to increase the heat to get the skin really crispy.  I usually remove the thighs from the pan and drain off the fat at this point ~ amazing how much renders!  Then I return the thighs to the pan, skin side down to finish crisping.  When they're the color I like I turn them over for just a few minutes to melt off any additional fat from the meat side.

Tonight I decided to make an Asian/Korean BBQ sauce to flavor the meat side.....being careful to not let the crispy skin get soft as the thighs simmered just a few minutes in my sauce.  Then the excess sauce was served as a dipping or drizzle sauce on our plates.

I used the leftover basmati rice to make a fried rice with carrots, onions, celery, egg & peas.  I seasoned it with my new 'favorite' soy sauce:  Black Soy Sauce.  It's one I picked up at the Oriental Market in Orlando, a really dark, thick and sweet soy sauce.  It doesn't take much to really flavor a dish.

I finished my meal with some Penzey seasoned green beans.

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 4 04_09_12

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 4 04_09_13

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I could go for Chinese take out tonight.
We shall see. Tina and DIL took Liam to Chucky Cheese today.
( l o n g ... p a u s e ...... )
We had Chinese pork fried rice, and egg rolls. I'm still hungry, but, I'm making fried Italian meat balls tonight; so I'll have a few of them.

bethk likes this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

The local Asian markets have so many varieties of soy sauce that I wouldn't have a clue as to what to buy. One entire aisle is just soy sauce.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

cookingirl wrote:Imelda, I love pesto!! OMG. It is so good.. I just slather it over pasta. I am so bad.. I add extra parmesan cheese on top of it.. with sauteed Italian sausages, it is so good...

Haha, now we top almost everything with Parmesan cheese, Dirk also likes to sprinkle it on his toast

Today I cooked Spaghetti squash with meat sauce, and yes, we added Parmesan/Romano cheese on top of it and of course Tabasco sauce.. it was yummy. I also baked Cream Cheese Chiffon cake, it turned out so good, I can't wait to eat it with my coffee tomorrow morning

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 4 17115810
It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 4 17198910
It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 4 17007710

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:Today was the first time I cooked with Pesto sauce, I made Chicken breasts topped with pesto sauce and olive oil, baked for 20 minutes, then added sliced tomato and mozzarella cheese, broiled for 10 minutes. I served it with baked potato ( well, I cooked my potatoes in the microwave for 5 minutes ), topped it with sour cream and chive, steamed some fresh asparagus on the side. I think they all liked it, everybody cleaned out their plates

Imelda, your chicken with pesto, tomato & mozzarella looks amazing!

I'm hoping you 'pesto lovers' will help me out with a store brand of pesto that you think is very good.

My problem is my dislike of the anise flavor of most basils, and also not caring for the flavor of corriander as well as a complete avoidance of the dreaded C-I-L-A-N-T-R-O......Ewwww, I can't even type it out without shivering!  LOL

I look at the recipes for pesto and I'm thinking maybe I should try one with spinach (for the vibrant green color), parsley (which I DO like the flavor of), walnuts or pistachios and olive oil.  

I just haven't had much luck in finding a pesto that doesn't make me want to wipe it off my tongue with a paper napkin......

Let me know how you like your spinach pesto without C-I-L-A-N-T-R-O Laughing haha.. I love C-I-L-A-N-T-R-O

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had some bone in pork chops thawed that I planned to grill.....but it was forcasted for rain so I decided to do a stove top braise instead. Good thing ~ it poured down about 4:15 and is still raining a bit now.

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 4 04_10_11

NormM

NormM

I went to an Asian grocery today so we had Korean food: Beef bulgogi, two kinds of kim chi and rice. We also had some kim bob but we ate that while I was cooking the bulgogi.It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 4 20210411

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I went to an Asian grocery today so we had Korean food:  Beef bulgogi, two kinds of kim chi and rice. We also had some kim bob but we ate that while I was cooking the bulgogi.

OK, so I had to google 'kim bob' and I'm still not sure what it is.....the pictures & description sounded like a sushi without fish. Am I correct?

NormM

NormM

Yes. It looks like sushi but it has no raw meat in it. A basic recipe has pickled diakon, egg, carrot, spinach, and some kind of meat like imitation crab or ham. Charlie's grandmother put a slice of a hotdog in it. All that is in the center of rice rolled in a sheet of seaweed

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 4 11_spi10
It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 4 20210412

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:
cookingirl wrote:Imelda, I love pesto!! OMG. It is so good.. I just slather it over pasta. I am so bad.. I add extra parmesan cheese on top of it.. with sauteed Italian sausages, it is so good...

Haha, now we top almost everything with Parmesan cheese, Dirk also likes to sprinkle it on his toast

Today I cooked Spaghetti squash with meat sauce, and yes, we added Parmesan/Romano cheese on top of it and of course Tabasco sauce.. it was yummy. I also baked Cream Cheese Chiffon cake, it turned out so good, I can't wait to eat it with my coffee tomorrow morning

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 4 17115810
It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 4 17198910
Imelda, we all love cheese cake. May I ask for the recipe for it? I love the texture of your chiffon cake.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:

Imelda, we all love cheese cake.  May I ask for the recipe for it?  I love the texture of your chiffon cake.

I was following this recipe, the tube pan is 20 cm, mine is 23 cm, so I have to double the recipe to fill my pan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tDNQjHbuUs

Cookin Lore

That "someone" who ate all my chips would be hearing from me also. Very loudly! And be reminded many times.

I made the (apparently) Trinidad version of Channa Roti.  It was very easy to make, and my nephew pronounced it fabulous!  He spent three years in Trinidad, he says that it is as good as any he's had.  I found a local Asian food market which had the Madras curry powder in the recipe.  Very good, and it has a kick to it.  Had to buy a box of a whole pound of it, so I think it will last me a while.

I have also learned to not hate cilantro as much as I thought I did.  The recipe asked for a cup of cilantro (packed).  I was afraid of that much, so I switched part and used some parsley to make up the cup.  Baby steps, right?

There is an Indian gentleman here in the building from whom I borrowed a couple of books when I first started this venture.  I told him about the Madras curry, he said that food from the Madras region is generally spicy.  I also ordered another cookbook from Amazon. Apparently it's coming from England, so it may be a while.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Breakfast was an Egg, bacon, and cheese on a toasted English muffin. As far as supper, ? ? ? NO clue!

bethk and cookingirl like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

We have lines of thunder storms going through today....Had one that started around noon and arrived with super loud thunder and lightening WAY too close for comfort. But it's blown to the east, headed for the ocean. But there will be more coming, I'm sure, as I can hear thunder in the distance now.

So, since it's a rainy day, I decided to make a comfort food dish, although nothing I grew up with. I've grown to really like it: Shrimp & Grits. I'm making a mushroom cream sauce/gravy that will be seasoned with a bit of bacon and green onions. I'm looking forward to trying a new brand of yellow corn grits that look to be processed in a very large grind.

I've got my mushroom cream simmering on the stove ~ I browned the sliced mushroom stems and about 1/3 of the chopped crimini mushrooms in some butter, added a couple sprigs of fresh thyme and, when brown, poured over about 2 c. of half & half. I'll simmer it until reduced by about half and then, hopefully, I'll have some nice tasting mushroom cream. At that point I'll strain out the solids and use the rest of the fresh chopped mushrooms & green onions to be the 'fresh' taste in my sauce. It's a fairly long process but it's a rainy day and I haven't anything else that's really pressing to do......

My shrimps will get seasoned with the Cajun seasoning and cooked quickly in the bacon grease and placed on top of the grits & mushroom cream sauce.

Cookin Lore

Bugster2 wrote:The local Asian markets have so many varieties of soy sauce that I wouldn't have a clue as to what to buy. One entire aisle is just soy sauce.

Years ago I was in what I thought was an authentic Chinese grocery store. I asked them which was the best soya sauce. They sold me MAGGI!

bethk, cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane cleaned his bowl so I'm thinking my shrimp & grits idea was a winner!

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 4 04_11_12

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

Cookin Lore

Is the word grits just another word for polenta?

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:Is the word grits just another word for polenta?

Grits are a finer grind than polenta ~ but basically the same thing. Polenta normally has Parmesan cheese and herbs. Grits are simply stone ground corn cooked in water/milk mixture with a bit of salt. Many times, in the South of US, grits are eaten at breakfast with butter & s&p and eggs or with the addition of sugar (I've never tried them this way).

When I was growing up my Grandmother and Mom made Cornmeal Mush ~ cornmeal cooked with water & a bit of salt (Grandma added just a bit of sugar to hers) and it was poured into a 4" X 9" bread loaf pan and cooled in the refrigerator overnight. The next morning the congealed mush was removed from the pan, sliced into about 1/2" planks and fried in shortening until crispy all over. Then we ate the Fried Mush with a bit of butter and pancake syrup. It's actually a breakfast dish served at most Bob Evan's Restaurants, which is an Ohio based restaurant.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I cooked another round of Pesto chicken, I bought a big package of chicken breast last week, I still have some chicken tender left. Today I made Spaghetti squash salad, I added some lettuce and our homegrown snow peas, bellpeppers, I made red wine vinegar + honey for the dressing, they were good. I also baked a batch of no knead bread, it turned out so soft, I  love it

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 4 17123410
It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 4 17182210
It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 4 17221910

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Waw.. today this site has the most users (275) online  cheers .. I don't think I was online at 1.44 PM  

Bugster2

Bugster2

Imelda HL wrote:I cooked another round of Pesto chicken, I bought a big package of chicken breast last week, I still have some chicken tender left. Today I made Spaghetti squash salad, I added some lettuce and our homegrown snow peas, bellpeppers, I made red wine vinegar + honey for the dressing, they were good. I also baked a batch of no knead bread, it turned out so soft, I  love it

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 4 17123410
It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 4 17182210
It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 4 17221910

I would love to have your recipe for your no-knead bread but can't find it on your blog. Can you point me in the right direction?

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

I had a 4-inch thick piece of rib roast I defrosted for dinner. I used a package of Knorr bearnaise sauce mix for dipping instead of horseradish sauce. We haven't had that sauce mix in 20 years and loved it for a change. Tasted like a package but that was ok. I cut the roast into two pieces for a cowboy steak that I could cook on the grill. Turned out fine.

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:Is the word grits just another word for polenta?

Grits are a finer grind than polenta ~ but basically the same thing.  Polenta normally has Parmesan cheese and herbs.  Grits are simply stone ground corn cooked in water/milk mixture with a bit of salt.  Many times, in the South of US, grits are eaten at breakfast with butter & s&p and eggs or with the addition of sugar (I've never tried them this way).

When I was growing up my Grandmother and Mom made Cornmeal Mush ~ cornmeal cooked with water & a bit of salt (Grandma added just a bit of sugar to hers) and it was poured into a 4" X 9" bread loaf pan and cooled in the refrigerator overnight.  The next morning the congealed mush was removed from the pan, sliced into about 1/2" planks and fried in shortening until crispy all over.  Then we ate the Fried Mush with a bit of butter and pancake syrup.  It's actually a breakfast dish served at most Bob Evan's Restaurants, which is an Ohio based restaurant.  

Well, that explains why I didn't like them at breakfast in Florida in 2013! I grew up with polenta, called Mamelik in my German/Romanian/Russian influenced kitchen, Didn't like it as a kid, don't like it now. HOWEVER having just said that, it is possible to teach this old dog a new trick. I have been on the cilantro hater side for all the time since I discovered it. But, I made a Trinidadian-Indian Roti a few days ago. It called for one cup (packed) of the stuff. I cheated a bit and used about 3/4 cilantro and 1/4 parsley, and I quite liked it. Who knows, maybe polenta is next. I have some cornmeal in my pantry, maybe today. LOL

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Bugster2 wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:I cooked another round of Pesto chicken, I bought a big package of chicken breast last week, I still have some chicken tender left. Today I made Spaghetti squash salad, I added some lettuce and our homegrown snow peas, bellpeppers, I made red wine vinegar + honey for the dressing, they were good. I also baked a batch of no knead bread, it turned out so soft, I  love it

I would love to have your recipe for your no-knead  bread but can't find it on your blog. Can you point me in the right direction?

Here is the recipe I used

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 4 16267010

https://amandascookin.com/italian-bread-recipe/?fbclid=IwAR2JQg4ZY2mdNPCm0Z-JbU7CYc9otM5GDrE2-8X0Ji5szYNzxlLd3Yj2tDM

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum