Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.

+3
Imelda HL
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 10]

Cookin Lore

I have a rabbit in the oven, asked uncle for dinner, but he's not feeling well, so he'll get some delivered tomorrow. I have started removing the backsplash in my kitchen, getting ready for new cabinets. It is marble, in various sizes and thicknesses and has been a bugger to clean. Live and learn. New backsplash, I think will be a simple subway tile with few grout lines! LOL I am banging with my hammer on a prybar, My neighbour can hear it, but she said it's not bad.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

The kids got home after a good flight this morning. Andrea said the cat was happy to see them and Joshua was, too. She asked what leftovers I was reheating for tonight and I told her I just couldn't do any leftovers yet ~ too soon for me.

But I did come up with a favorite ~ ~ I looked in the pantry and saw a few noodles in a package and that made me think of haluski.....yum! Smoked sausage, cabbage, onion & noodles all browned up and cooked together to let the flavors meld a bit. It's a 'one-dish' meal that I don't make often but we always enjoy when I do make it. Oh, I guess we did have leftovers.....we had Jello salad. Lots of it left over so it'll be on a few menu plans until I get tired of it and toss it out.

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 2 04_05_12

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 2 04_05_13

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

I finally had a shower last night. AHHHHHH!!!!!!. Nothing like washing the sick off of your body. I can't wait for a bath because that is my kind of therapy. I am not sure how long I have to wait for my skin to heal before I can use a tub.

bethk likes this post

cookingirl

cookingirl

Hi All.. I know I have been MIA for a long time.. It is not really MIA, because I have been reading things, daily...
Bugster: I am so sorry for what is happening to you.. ((hugs)).. Hope you can recover from surgery quickly, and have a good prognosis..
Imelda, I think it is such a nice, kind thing you are doing for your MIL.. so sweet..
Beth, I love reading about your meals and family.. glad they came down for a quick visit..
Norm, You take care of yourself... your meals are still beautiful
Lore, I love your stories, your posts and your descriptions of redoing your kitchen.
Jimmy, what can I say.. take care of yourself.

I, on the other hand are ok.. I had a stint in the hospital a few weeks ago.. It was from a reaction to a new fluid/bp pill the cardiologist prescribed for me. Yes, pretty severe reaction, where my sodium levels bottomed out. I was put in the ICU for a few days.. It was not frightening.. I just did. I was numb..

Not cooking much.. But I did manage to pan sear some salmon, for Easter. An unorthodox Easter, but these are unorthodox times.. My meals are easy, simple.. just some salmon, wild rice, and green beans..

The building has opened up to visitors. All residents are vaccinated.. They have been good about that. They had CVS come in for several clinics. This was in February..

Just hanging inside mostly.. me and Geoffrey.. When I was in the hospital, I had a couple of friends in here, I knew them from where the prior building where we all lived, took care of him, once a day.. He still hid under the bed or under my covers, or even in his carrier..
He was so happy to see me... He would not leave my side.. reminding me to nap, daily.. He sensed my wellness..

The food here is still horrible.. no matter how much we complain.. I do order it, but half the time I cannot eat it.. I eat early.. I am using up my freezer.. and my supplies... They are really coming in handy.

That is about all from me...
I am ok.. recovery is a long process.. so Bugster, take it easy, and do not do much of anything.. please..
Let your husband and your roomie do some work, for a change.. make them take care of YOU...

I miss Michelle. I really do.. I tried contacting her..to no avail.. so sad.. I even got some telemarketers calling me from N.O. I answered because I thought it may be here.. nope... sigh..

Anyway..
Happy Spring to all.. The start of new beginnings, new life.. hopefully a new start of this new life we are now forging into..

Love to all..

PS.. I apologize for not mentioning anyone...

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cyn, I'm happy to hear you're home and out of the hospital.....scary stuff!

However, I now need to share some extremely sad news.  As you, Cyn, I have also attempted to get in contact with Michelle ever since August, 2020 when I had my last communication from her.  And as morbid as it sounds, I would periodically do an obit search of her name in New Orleans.

Today, after reading Cyn's post mentioning missing Michelle I automatically did a search of her name in New Orleans, LA again.  

And, sadly, this came up:

" Michelle Bass, 66, died peacefully at home Monday, September 2, 2020. She was a graduate of Mt. Carmel Academy and had a long career as a paralegal for several large firms in the New Orleans area. For over twenty years she lived with her husband Brian at their home in Algiers point. Michelle was an avid cook and a past winner of the Times-Picayune appetizer food contest. She is survived by her husband Brian Bruce, her brother Robert B. Bass, his wife Sally, her nephew "RB" Bass and niece Leslie Bass, and her brother- in- law Ed Lilly, the husband of her deceased sister, Charlotte. She is also survived by her many close friends. She will be interred at the Labiche Family Vault at St. Peter's Cemetery in Reserve, Louisiana. There will be a memorial service at a later date due to current Covid-19 restrictions. ARRANGEMENTS BY JACOB SCHOEN & SON FUNERAL HOME 3827 CANAL ST. NEW ORLEANS, LA 70119. Condolences may be left at www.schoenfh.com.

To Plant Memorial Trees in memory, please visit our Sympathy Store.
Published in The Times-Picayune from Sep. 16 to Sep. 18, 2020."

May her soul be held in God's grace.....Rest in Peace, Dear Friend.

And upon further internet search, I found that Michelle's husband, Brian, passed a couple months after her. He had been ill for some time.

Here's what I found:

" Brian M. Bruce, age 73, of New Orleans, LA, formerly of Marion, MA, passed away on Friday, November 13, 2020. He was the son of the late W. Robert Bruce and Marie P. (Fleming) Bruce, and the beloved husband of the late Michelle Bass. Cherished brother of Robert W. Bruce of Easton, MA, and Jane Bruce Routt of Temescal Valley, CA, Brian was preceded in death by his loving uncle Albert Seghezzi. Brian is survived by his devoted aunt Mary Seghezzi, and many cousins, nieces, and nephews. He was a graduate of the Old Rochester Regional High School in Mattapoisett, MA and attended Franklin Pierce University. Brian was a US Army veteran and served in Vietnam during the Tet Offensive in 1967. Following his military service, Brian began a long career in maritime services, principally in the port of New Orleans for Biehl and Co. Brian and Michelle lived for many years in the Algiers Point neighborhood of New Orleans and were both active in Mardi Gras activities, ASPCA, and the American Cancer Society. Brian and Michelle enjoyed cooking, gardening, and travel and will be remembered as gracious and entertaining hosts. Always a smile and a laugh, Brian will be greatly missed by his many friends in New Orleans. He was also a proud member of the ACLU. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, memorials will be held privately. Donations may be made in Brian's memory to the Disabled American Veterans (DAV) of America. "Until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of his hand." Arrangements by Jacob Schoen & Son Funeral Home, 3827 Canal St. New Orleans, LA 70119. Condolences may be left at www.schoenfh.com.

To Plant Memorial Trees in memory, please visit our Sympathy Store.
Published in The Times-Picayune from Nov. 28 to Nov. 29, 2020."

Last edited by bethk on Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bugster2

Bugster2

So sad. She fought long and hard. The second I heard she had pulmonary hypertension I knew It wasn't going to be a good outcome. Is Brian still with us?

I want to move around but hurt too much to do a damn thing. I just have to let nature take its' course.

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:So sad. She fought long and hard. The second I heard she had pulmonary hypertension I knew It wasn't going to be a good outcome. Is Brian still with us?

I want to move around but hurt too much to do a damn thing. I just have to let nature take its' course.

###########################

Debbie, Think positive, and don't push yourself. Don't overdo anything.
You are in our thoughts and prayers to get better from all you went through.... Don't listen to everyone that says "Walk around, and force yourself to do things!" ... A little bit at the time. God made our bodies to heal; only if you do a little at the time.
My grandma used to say, "When the horse gets sick, It lies down to rest!"
You take care! Get better.

cookingirl

cookingirl

Beth, I was fearing the worst about Michelle. I really was.. but I did not know her last name.. Would have researched things myself...

So sad.. She fought so valiantly.. Had such an incredible outlook.. She is missed..

And Brian.. such a love story.. They truly and deeply loved each other.. Now they are reunited in the afterlife...

I miss her stories...

Thank you for looking this up... sad.. I will remember them in my prayers...

It is what I have been fearing..
~~~~~~~~~
Debbie, please do not rush things.. do not hurry to start cooking and cleaning.. you need to rest.. That is one thing I did learn.. Rest when your body tells you to.. listen to it...
Do not listen to the others.. They are not really looking out for you.. You have done so much for them.. let them do for you.. It is time.. and if it does not get done, do not worry.. you can only worry about yourself, right now..
Cuddle with your new kitten..

(((hugs))) to all.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

@cookingirl and Debbie, I hope you both feel better soon

I'm saddened by the news of Michelle and Brian's passing.. I was wondering what happened to her, I like to read her stories, about her cooking and her daily life. I was just thinking to email her when I go visit NO this summer. Such a beautiful love story, she and Brian reunited again afterlife, May they both rest in peace.

Thank you Beth for searching up and letting us know

bethk, cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Today I really don't have any idea what to eat/cook, it's about 1 PM now and I'm still sitting here and surfing the net. I want to finish all the leftover in our fridge before starting to cook again, I still have 2 small pieces of ham, 2 small pieces of roast beef, macaroni salad, green bean casserole and some Chinese dumplings, so I guess I just heat them up and let them pick what they want to eat. I have the idea for dinner tomorrow though, Gnocchi/sausage and spinach in a skillet

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks, everyone.....

As I said, I had been doing internet searches since last August and didn't get a 'hit' until today when Cyn's post reminded me. It's sad we are 'internet friends' and care about one another but really know very little about how to reach out if we 'disappear' from posting......

I had sent a 'Thinking-About-You' card to Michelle's address but didn't get a reply....too little too late, I'm afraid. But I know she knew we all cared about her and Brian's well being.

cookingirl, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

Cookin Lore

I'm also sad to be reading this. It is amazing, how in this age, we can form a bond with someone so far away, someone we've only "met" because of a shared interest and this seemingly magical thing called technology. So sad to read that a couple who, according to today's life expectancy, was surely not old. I am approaching my 77th b-day soon, I surely hope to have a few more good years ahead.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight's supper was Easter leftovers.....but morphed into something completely different.

the leftover beef tenderloin got sliced and used in a stir fry of a sort of Mongolian Beef ~ served with Trader Joe's Basmati Rice (oh, SO, good!)

Usually Mongolian Beef just has green onions but, as usual, I like to add some veg to lighten it up.

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 2 04_06_11

cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

When did Brian pass? I am glad that if they were both so sick that they went so close in time.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:When did Brian pass? I am glad that if they were both so sick that they went so close in time.

" Michelle Bass, 66, died peacefully at home Monday, September 2, 2020."

" Brian M. Bruce, age 73, of New Orleans, LA, formerly of Marion, MA, passed away on Friday, November 13, 2020."

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Lake Erie pickerel/walleye not from fishing son but from a grocery store. But equally good. Plain steamed Brussels sprouts and asparagus. Yumm."

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 2 04_06_12

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper tonight was salmon ( mine cooked well done ), which I am not a fan of, but it was flaky and tasty at least. Potato salad, and sweet potatoes. Ice cream cone for dessert.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Trying to use up leftovers from a holiday weekend of cooking is always a challenge for me. First of all, I DON'T LIKE LEFTOVERS........that being said, I don't mind leftovers if they're morphed into something that doesn't taste like the original or as a side dish to a completely different meal.

I had a grilled chicken Saturday night so today I turned the leftovers into a chicken salad for my lunch, made with a few grapes, celery & toasted almonds. The dressing I use is a mix of Hellmann's, Miracle Whip, sour cream, chopped parsley (from the patio pots), a bit of Grandma's vinegar syrup for sweetness and tang and some toasted slivered almonds. So now the chicken is gone.

I used up the leftover beef tenderloin in last night's beef stir-fry so now the beef is gone.

I still had some of the Brussels sprouts that I roasted (fortunately I didn't cook them but realized when I was cleaning them there were too many so I put them in a container ready to cook). I'll do them in a cast iron skillet with some bacon grease (leftover from the bacon used in the cauliflower/pea/bacon salad) and onion, probably will use up the last of the green onions I just thought of......

I pulled a couple small pieces of cubed steak to thaw that will get made into Country Fried Steak because that always has a 'milk' gravy and that, in turn, gives me the excuse I need to use the leftover mashed potatoes.

The only things I'll probably toss is the rest of the Jello cabbage salad (I made way too much to begin with but, hey, nobody's perfect.....) and some of the cake.

So, all in all, I've not done bad this year.

bethk

bethk
Admin

After discovering the depressing obits for Michelle & Brian I went back through my old emails & messages and read over some from Michelle. She sure had a gift of gab! LOL

Anyway, in one we had been discussing Barbara, who I started the forum with. She could be a moody one ~ and Michelle & I were discussing how private Barb was about a lot of things....I mentioned Barb didn't even tell me her 'real' last name, but rather a screen name she used so people couldn't look her up and contact her without her permission. Well, long story short, Michelle mentioned she just went back through HER old messages and found where Barb had told her what her last name was.

So, with that information fresh in my mind, I did a search of Barb's name and, low and behold, she wasn't ignoring the messages I've sent her over the years.....

She passed away September 7, 2016 ~ she was active here until July, 2016, I think and had a disagreement with me and left in a 'huff'. But I had attempted to contact her a number of times to return. I thought she must have been REALLY angry with me as she never responded.

Her 'obit' only listed her name, age (72) and nothing else, no names of her daughter or son.

Well, now I know ~

All this is making me so very sad.......

and depressed.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, I'm glad all the leftovers are done! There was a bit of potato & Brussels sprouts left but I told Dane NOT to save anything. NO MORE LEFTOVERS!!!

Actually, the meal was pretty tasty. Nothing tasted leftover. Of course, the sprouts were cooked 'fresh' and the potatoes were made originally with some butter, sour cream & cream cheese so they don't 'taste-leftover' when reheated. If I'm going to the trouble to make mashed potatoes I want some to stash in the freezer for another time with just a quick reheat in a skillet.

The fried cube steak got seasoned & splashed with some buttermilk. then a dredge & press into seasoned flour. I used some of the bacon grease to fry it up. It's an old fashioned method but it works every time. And I didn't try to cook it too hot this time ~ it didn't get very dark at all. I did end up with too much milk gravy because, of course, I added too much flour to the bit of leftover grease in the frying pan.....as it cooks it gets too thick so you just have to keep adding milk to get the right consistency ~ GLUE is NOT tasty eating! LOL And then you have to re-season so it has some flavor......a seemingly never ending quest!

the Brussels sprouts with the last of the green onions was tasty. I also had a very small picking of green beans. I teased Dane and said we had to count how many we each had on our plates so it was an even split!

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 2 04_07_12

Cookin Lore

I was planning to make a Channa roti to take to my nephew tomorrow for his birthday, and then didn't have a can of chickpeas, so I have to soak some for tomorrow. So, plan B it was. I had a smoked makerel in the fridge so that, on top of a big salad was dinner.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made Easy stuffed cabbages casserole. I didn't like it....

bethk and cookingirl like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina made Easy stuffed cabbages casserole. I didn't like it....

Was it the one where everything is layered? I've made that before and it's a far cry from 'stuffed cabbage rolls'.......my kids ate it ~ ~ but they loved boxed mac & cheese and ramen noodle soup.

LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:I was planning to make a Channa roti to take to my nephew tomorrow for his birthday, and then didn't have a can of chickpeas, so I have to soak some for tomorrow.  So, plan B it was.  I had a smoked makerel in the fridge so that, on top of a big salad was dinner.  

I learned a trick when I was making hummus for snacking ~ canned chickpeas with some water added and simmered until REALLY soft and tender.  Also, some 'roasted / grilled' lemon for a tiny bit of 'smoky' flavor.  My hummus was so very smooth ~ just the way I like it.

I just 'googled' the recipe ~ I'm not familiar with Indian dishes at all! The recipe I saw called for a curry powder (and I'm assuming it doesn't resemble the goldenrod-yellow powder I have in my pantry that I use for chicken salad) and something called amchar powder. Not familiar with that at all. I love that you're really enjoying delving into a new cultural adventure!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina made Easy stuffed cabbages casserole. I didn't like it....

Was it the one where everything is layered?  I've made that before and it's a far cry from 'stuffed cabbage rolls'.......my kids ate it ~ ~ but they loved boxed mac & cheese and ramen noodle soup.

LOL
It was all put in a pot, and boiled on the stovetop. Rolling Eyes No

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum