Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.

+3
Imelda HL
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 10]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Another lovely day.....brats browned up on the gas grill.....

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 5 04_12_18

NormM, cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

NormM

NormM

While I was at the store, Charlie called and suggested steak for dinner. I picked out a T-Bone because it was the cheapest of the good steaks and one was big enough for both of is. I should have asked why Porterhouse steaks were a dollar a pound more. They are both from the same part of the cow. Porterhouse is the same as a T-bone only bigger. It will cost more because it's bigger. It should not cost more because of its name.

Charlie had Mac N Cheese with his. I had some corn and baked potato. I also had a small piece of Stilton cheese.It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 5 20210413

bethk, cookingirl, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Cookin Lore

It sounds more expensive, that's all. I remember seeing some well known chef on a TV show a few years ago. He was plating some dinner and then said "Throw in some fresh parsley, and charge an extra $2.00" That's how I look at some restaurant meals.

bethk and cookingirl like this post

NormM

NormM

A while back, I remember a TV chef talking about London Broil and how inexpensive it was. Not long after that, meat for London Broil went sky high.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:While I was at the store, Charlie called and suggested steak for dinner.  I picked out a T-Bone because it was the cheapest of the good steaks and one was big enough for both of is.  I should have asked why Porterhouse steaks were a dollar a pound more.  They are both from the same part of the cow.  Porterhouse is the same as a T-bone only bigger. It will cost more because it's bigger. It should not cost more because of its name.

Charlie had Mac N Cheese with his. I had some corn and baked potato. I also had a small piece of Stilton cheese.It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 5 20210413
Tina worked in the meat / butcher departments in the supermarkets, and she said. "The Porterhouse is a T bone but they leave on a bigger fillet on the other side of the bone!"

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was chicken soup for supper. Tina made it.
Plus, DD went to Clinton for a ride, and brought home a pizza pie.
I had a slice of that too... Rum Cake for dessert.

NormM

NormM

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
NormM wrote:While I was at the store, Charlie called and suggested steak for dinner.  I picked out a T-Bone because it was the cheapest of the good steaks and one was big enough for both of is.  I should have asked why Porterhouse steaks were a dollar a pound more.  They are both from the same part of the cow.  Porterhouse is the same as a T-bone only bigger. It will cost more because it's bigger. It should not cost more because of its name.

Tina worked in the meat / butcher departments in the supermarkets, and she said. "The Porterhouse is a T bone but they leave on a bigger fillet on the other side of the bone!"

It has a bigger strip on the other side of the bone too. It's bigger overall. A porterhouse will cost more because it is heavier even if it is the same price per pound.

bethk, cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Lamb with peas from my Indian cookbook. Ok, but dry."

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 5 04_12_19

cookingirl likes this post

Cookin Lore

I think I have come to the conclusion that Indian food is not going to be my favourite. I like the flavours, but am not really enjoying the fact that everything is all mixed up. I have ordered another cookbook which is coming from England. I know, I can get a gazillion recipes from the net, but I like to have a book in hand.

I think more of a Meditteranian diet/cooking is more to my liking. I think I'll try some of the Indian spices on some of my basic foods.

bethk

bethk
Admin

The pollen count is really high right now. I went outside to have my coffee this morning and I started to sneeze.....it was continuous. I ended up taking another antihistamine in addition to the one I always take with my night-time meds. The only problem is taking it in the day time makes me extremely drowsy. So, by 2:00 I was dozing on the couch.

And I was too tired to cook supper ~ didn't think I could stay upright in the kitchen long enough to cook a meal.

So, we went out to Outback Steak House and it was just right.

I may try that again tomorrow evening! LOL

cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Here too!... too tired to cook, and upset to eat.
Tina had a Dr. appointment day, and had to deal with her uncle and his
problems, and getting him to the hospital with diverticulitis.
Passing blood. 5 days after the covid-19 shot. No

Bugster2

Bugster2

You sound like me Lore. I have to take pain meds and they put me to sleep.

Jimmy, if it isn't one thing it is another. Be glad Uncle is in the hospital where they can take care of the poor man. We are getting to be too old to be caregivers.

I made some scalloped potatoes and ham. It was very good but caused Joe some grief. He needs to get in for a endoscopy and get his stomach stretched.

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:You sound like me Lore. I have to take pain meds and they put me to sleep.

Jimmy, if it isn't one thing it is another. Be glad Uncle is in the hospital where they can take care of the poor man. We are getting to be too old to be caregivers.

I made some scalloped potatoes and ham. It was very good but caused Joe some grief. He needs to get in for a endoscopy and get his stomach stretched.
Tina needs to get a stretching too. She fails to realize she is a woman in her 70's, and she has to slow down. Tonight she is screaming with leg, foot, and thigh cramps.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Good grief, I think everyone I know is falling apart......

Neighbor Darlene has been in and out of the hospital 3 times in the last month. It started with an abscess and diverticulitis.  After a month they 'think' they have everything under control as far as the infection but it's still inflamed.  They're doing all they can to keep from having to do surgery.

She met with her surgeon yesterday and he said if they do the surgery it will be a minimum of a week in the hospital just for pain control, she'll have a bag for 3 months or longer and then another surgery to repair the repair......

Darlene is 78 but you'd never know it from looking at her.  Prior to this 'sudden' illness she has been active and healthy without any health problems at all.  Throughout all of this she's lost a bunch of weight and looks so weak.  I'm making some chicken soup for her today but leaving out anything that might be a problem....no celery or onions in anything but the broth that I'll cook and then strain to make the soup.

Cookin Lore

Bugster2 wrote:You sound like me Lore. I have to take pain meds and they put me to sleep.

Sorry to read about everyone's problems. HOWEVER, I am very fortunate to not have to take any meds. My only problem is that I am out of shape, our pool and exercise room here in the building are both closed because of the virus, and I'm too lazy to do anything on my own. Beautiful sunshine today, maybe I'll go for a walk. MAYBE

I made a really, really good sauce yesterday. Crushed tomatoes, two bottles of Marzana passata, a whole bunch of mushrooms, red pepper, and onion, garlic, parsley, oregano, pepper flakes, parsley. No salt. There's a reason for no salt, I had some oversalted meatballs in the freezer and figured that if I put them in the sauce, the balls will become edible. It worked! I put a few meatballs into some of the sauce, the rest is in three containers now in my freezer. The sauce is thick enough with the vegetables, to use it just plain with some parmesan over pasta.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I almost emptied the freezer 'Parts-Is-Parts' chicken parts bag. Whenever I cut up a chicken and have things like backs, wing tips, skin, etc. I wrap it up and drop it into the 'parts' bag. Then, when I want to make stock I just take some out and let it simmer for a few hours.

This afternoon I'm going to make some chicken noodle soup for Darlene in the hopes that Grandma's idea of chicken soup healing everything still works. When I spoke with her she said she's really hungry but has such a limited diet due to the diverticulitis. I thought something made by someone else might taste better to her than just opening a can of something by herself.

I've got the stock made and I'm letting it sit now so I can remove the fat and then strain it a second time so it's really clear. I'll add some carrots & the meat from 3 thighs I cooked about an hour and then add the noodles I make.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Lunch will be taco bells soon. Tina picking up now.

Supper was supposed to be pork tenderloin sliced, and pounded into cutlets; breaded and with vegetables of some sort....

bethk

bethk
Admin

Noodle soup is done!  It's thick with noodles but I figure Darlene can add some chicken broth or stock from her pantry if she wants it thinner.  I'm thinking she just wants something 'stick-to-the-ribs'.

Dane mentioned he thought it was a bit warm to have soup for supper but I said I took all day making it and it's what's for supper.  I suggested he make himself a salad to go with it ~ so that's what he'll do.

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 5 04_14_12

NormM

NormM

The store had loin back ribs on sale @ buy one get one free.  I had no choice. If I had got one, I'd have paid double for it. It is more than we can eat so Charlie is going to see if the neighbors want someIt's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 5 20210417
It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 5 20210419
It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 5 20210418

bethk

bethk
Admin

Neighbors LOVE when you share, Norm!

My soup, although it was WAY too hot a day for soup.....was actually pretty darn tasty. Dane made himself a salad to eat with his and both of us were happy.

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 5 04_14_13

NormM

NormM

Neighbors are coming over for dinner and to play some cards. All of us except Charlie have been vaccinated

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Pork cutlets dint happen. It was Taco bell for lunch, and a Swanson Salisbury steak tv dinner for supper..... I trimmed and pounded and breaded the tenderloin, and I will fry them tomorrow. Poor Tina has to trip down to Montclair to the hospital to check on her uncle. They stopped the IV fluids, and are feeding him whole food. He is under observation for bleeding.
Always something. Dr. Jimmy here, says the poppy seed rolls stuck in the diverticula and he got infections.

Cookin Lore

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Pork cutlets dint happen. It was Taco bell for lunch, and a Swanson Salisbury steak tv dinner for supper..... I trimmed and pounded and breaded the tenderloin, and I will fry them tomorrow. Poor Tina has to trip down to Montclair to the hospital to check on her uncle. They stopped the IV fluids, and are feeding him whole food. He is under observation for bleeding.
Always something. Dr. Jimmy here, says the poppy seed rolls stuck in the diverticula and he got infections.

I wasn't aware of how dangerous diverticula could be until I had the problem with the stone in my bile duct two years ago.

I have to check on my uncle too. He has had a problem with his neck for many years. There is a family tendency for the vertabrae to fuse together. He had surgery on it about 25 years ago where they basically chiseled two apart. That area is giving him a lot of trouble now. But, he's 88 and I don't think he can have the surgery again.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane had a doctor's appointment at the VA in Gainesville (about an hour north) so I wasn't sure how long it would take or if there might be problems with traffic. I was talking with Andrea and complained how I didn't have an idea of what to make for supper. She rattled off about 6 ideas and said, "You could always make a frittata ~ use whatever you have."

And that settled that!

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 5 04_15_17

I had ham, potato, onion & asparagus.....it was pretty filling.

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 5 04_15_18

Cookin Lore

That looks sooooo good!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum