Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?"

+4
cookingirl
Bugster2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 11]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:

I have a Breville toaster oven with an air fryer feature. I haven't used it yet. The oven is in a closet on a cart. I put it there when my sister gave me a Wolf countertop oven. I have been reading about English jacket potatoes and potatoes done in an air fryer. It is all about crispy skin. They say to cook a potato at 400 for two hours. I am firmly convinced I will produce a doorstop but I have a bag of potatoes that I need to use so I am going to play around with the air fryer feature and the 400 degrees for 2 hours method. What I am not clear about is whether the exterior is oiled or not. Got to do more research.

This is for you Beth. I know how you love your sweet potatoes. I saw a recipe where  the potato is peeled and then sliced into 1-inch rounds. The rounds are put on a baking sheet and butter is poured over the top. You bake them for a while and then flip and bake some more so both sides are crispy. Have you made them this way?

Going to do a Costco run to get paper towels and a few other things.

Bugs, I usually make my sweet potatoes and baked white potatoes the same way ~ wash well, poke some holes, wrap damp potato in a paper towel and into the microwave on high until close to done ~ usually 3 minutes or so, depending upon size & how many at one time. Then remove paper towel & put into toaster oven at 350° for 15 minutes to crisp up / dry skin......or on to the grill (depends on if I'm cooking on the grill).

I've done the baked rounds with both white & sweet potatoes ~ baked at 450° & turned once until crisp & browned on both sides ~ then pour in some chicken stock and allow to continue in oven until stock absorbed and potato is tender on the inside and (somewhat) crisp on the top.

If you want to do crisp skin potatoes in the oven you don't have to cook for longer than 1 hour.....just wash, poke a few holes and put on the oven rack. 400° should have them done in 45 minutes to 1 hour. No oil on the skin ~ my experience is it keeps the skin soft and is just messy because then you have to use a pan or foil to keep the oil from dripping in the oven.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

NormM

NormM

I used to have a GE built in oven with convection option. I once baked some potatoes with convection to save time and they all came out with a crisp skin.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:

I have a Breville toaster oven with an air fryer feature. I haven't used it yet. The oven is in a closet on a cart. I put it there when my sister gave me a Wolf countertop oven. I have been reading about English jacket potatoes and potatoes done in an air fryer. It is all about crispy skin. They say to cook a potato at 400 for two hours. I am firmly convinced I will produce a doorstop but I have a bag of potatoes that I need to use so I am going to play around with the air fryer feature and the 400 degrees for 2 hours method. What I am not clear about is whether the exterior is oiled or not. Got to do more research.

This is for you Beth. I know how you love your sweet potatoes. I saw a recipe where  the potato is peeled and then sliced into 1-inch rounds. The rounds are put on a baking sheet and butter is poured over the top. You bake them for a while and then flip and bake some more so both sides are crispy. Have you made them this way?

Going to do a Costco run to get paper towels and a few other things.

Bugs, I usually make my sweet potatoes and baked white potatoes the same way ~ wash well, poke some holes, wrap damp potato in a paper towel and into the microwave on high until close to done ~ usually 3 minutes or so, depending upon size & how many at one time.  Then remove paper towel & put into toaster oven at 350° for 15 minutes to crisp up / dry skin......or on to the grill (depends on if I'm cooking on the grill).

I've done the baked rounds with both white & sweet potatoes ~ baked at 450° & turned once until crisp & browned on both sides ~ then pour in some chicken stock and allow to continue in oven until stock absorbed and potato is tender on the inside and (somewhat) crisp on the top.

If you want to do crisp skin potatoes in the oven you don't have to cook for longer than 1 hour.....just wash, poke a few holes and put on the oven rack.  400° should have them done in 45 minutes to 1 hour.  No oil on the skin ~ my experience is it keeps the skin soft and is just messy because then you have to use a pan or foil to keep the oil from dripping in the oven.

I know how to bake potatoes. What I have been reading about are English jacket potatoes. They bake for two hours. I am sure they will turn out petrified but I am curious so I will give it a try.

Here is the link

https://cupofjo.com/2014/08/how-to-make-english-jacket-potatoes/#comments

bethk

bethk
Admin

They bake for 1 to 2 hours....and the difference is they cut a cross the top to begin with and then again before the last 10 minutes of baking in the oven. The release of any interior steam makes them keep from being soggy.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I went to Fresh Market today to get the fresh ground chuck. I was out of meatloafs in the freezer and wanted to get some made. So now I have 4 - 2# loafs. The last 2# got turned into salisbury patties and made with gravy for supper. Mashed potatoes & peas to go with.....

but I forgot to take a pic since Jim came and I just wanted to get it all on the table.

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Prayers, Lore......I wish there was something comforting I could say but words don't seem to be appropriate....so, Prayers.....

Thanks. Yes, prayers is about all that any of us can do any more. I realize already how much I will miss her. We were so lucky to have had so much sister time in the last few years. We have had so many great lunches and short day trips. Even several longer trips, including the BEST EVER to Paris and Germany 11 years ago. It's just that we hoped to have more.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Joe and I went to Costco during the senior hours. Really nice and not half as crowded. I got shrimp, a bag of frozen lobster meat, tilapia, a bag of frozen chicken breasts for Katie's dogs, 2 bags of Halloween candy, a rotisserie chicken and paper towels. We then went to BevMo and got a bottle of cucumber vodka. I thought it was revolting. BLECH!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Fish patties....breading wet and sticky. yuck!
toaster oven, with cole slaw.

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 11 Img_2024

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Fish patties....breading wet and sticky. yuck!
toaster oven, with cole slaw.

Kind of looks like school cafeteria fish.....I couldn't eat that.

But the good news is none of us has ever starved to death ~ tomorrow will be better!

Bugster2

Bugster2

I ran across a recipe that I wanted to try so I made 1/4 the recipe. It was the filling for a ham pot pie. I wasn't crazy about it so I won't make it again but I did like the base without the ham. I am going to give it another try but with chicken instead and see how it tastes.

No dinner last night. Joe was still full on a deli sandwich and Katie had a bowl of Grape Nuts wetted down with water and sweetened with Stevia. Sounds revolting and I told Katie it did. She got miffed so I did a side by side test of her version and mine which was with milk and sugar. There wasn't much of a difference so I apologized. She claims she is lactose intolerant but she has never had a test for it. She still eats ice cream, cheese and yogurt without any trouble so I think her claim is not based on fact. I think it is similar to a gal I used to work with. She claimed she was allergic to sugar but would gulp down huge amounts of honey.

Cookin Lore

Bugster2 wrote:I ran across a recipe that I wanted to try so I made 1/4 the recipe. It was the filling for a ham pot pie. I wasn't crazy about it so I won't make it again but I did like the base without the ham. I am going to give it another try but with chicken instead and see how it tastes.

No dinner last night. Joe was still full on a deli sandwich and Katie had a bowl of Grape Nuts wetted down with water and sweetened with Stevia. Sounds revolting and I told Katie it did. She got miffed so I did a side by side test of her version and mine which was with milk and sugar. There wasn't much of a difference so I apologized. She claims she is lactose intolerant but she has never had a test for it. She still eats ice cream, cheese and yogurt without any trouble so I think her claim is not based on fact. I think it is similar to a gal I used to work with. She claimed she was allergic to sugar but would gulp down huge amounts of honey.

Well, I like bananas, and I like peanut butter. But, I don't like either of them in things. Hate banana bread, and peanut butter cookies are revolting to me. LOL

Bugster2

Bugster2

I like banana bread but don't like bananas. I love PB cookies. Eating the two together would make me sick.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane is working with our contractor, Patrick, for a few days so I had the opportunity to go out to lunch with Lyn today. We went to Miz Kathie's Cotillion, one of our favorite local places, and had a really enjoyable lunch.

I had my 'usual' ~ a fried green tomato, bacon & lettuce sandwich with collard greens. Lyn had their meatloaf open faced sandwich with today's special side, a deep fried corn on the cob dusted in powdered sugar....not your usual side, to be sure!

She said it was FABULOUS!!!

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 11 09_30_11

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 11 09_30_12

Bugster2

Bugster2

Deep fried corn on the cob is new to me. Tell me more. Was it battered?

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

A cheese burger for supper. Some pasta fagioli.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:Deep fried corn on the cob is new to me. Tell me more. Was it battered?

No breading.....just the corn on the cob dropped in a deep fryer and then sprinkled with powdered sugar.

The corn caramelized and the kernels were separate and almost crispy.

It's almost like 'fair food' ~ a once a year or once a lifetime food. LOL

Cookin Lore

I'm just working on using up all the things I cooked in the last few weeks and have in the freezer, today it was a delish bowl of chili!

Bugster2

Bugster2

I miss being able to eat a bowl of chili.

Cookin Lore

So far, I am lucky. I can eat everything. No allergies, no food sensitivities, just some things I don't like, like cilantro. But, I got used to eating caraway, I could get used to cilantro too if necessary. LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Dr. day today. One of those hurry up, and wait days.
Ms. Swanson tv dinners. Tina Turkey, and Jimmy Salisbury steak.

bethk

bethk
Admin

MONTH CLOSED......moving on to October

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum