Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?"

+4
cookingirl
Bugster2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 11]

Bugster2

Bugster2

JanaAZ wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:I had to look up what a tri tip is.  Sounds awesome.  I think I am going to buy a really, really nice steak and take it to my son's house to do it on his grill.  Doing it in the house is just not the same.  

I had never heard of,it until I moved out west. Now I see it’s available in Chicago where I’m from it’s delicious. If you see it, buy it

We love it.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's not anything I find here in Florida at all. But, that's OK ~ I can get an inexpensive 'London Broil' and make it delicious. That's the one I make with my provencal marinade that we like so well. There's usually enough from half a London Broil to make steak salad.

I was equally impressed with the look of the second cut of beef he cut ~ the one the Brazilian customers come looking for. It looked to me it would be really delicious grilled to a rare and sliced thin.

When I was in Ohio those were the cuts that got cut into stew meat or ground for burger meat.

It's fascinating to me how a good butcher can separate the different muscles into roasts & steaks. The fact he said they used the entire animal, respecting the animal, was something I don't take lightly. I'll just bet if you were there and asked for 'soup bones' they wouldn't look at you like you just landed from outer space....they would cut the knuckle bones in half for you and give you some beautiful shank rounds.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jim spoils me too much with this King Crab deal......HE buys and I steam it, make a couple sides and get my fill....and then some. I have enough leftover crabmeat in the freezer to make a huge crab dip appetizer with cream cheese, etc. I'll have to make it when we start having patio parties again.

The potatoes I made tonight was one I was trying to replicate a potato casserole we use to order at a steak house in Ohio. I was close, but not quite. It needed green onions and I used regular ones ~ makes a difference. But it was tasty.

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 10 09_26_11

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

Cookin Lore

Oh, the green onions are much nicer with potatoes than regular ones. I use green in potato salad, but never regular onions. Funny, though, I do like sweet or Vidalia in scalopped potates.

bethk likes this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

I looked up the crab on Costco's website. I almost passed out when I saw the price - almost $400. You have a very nice friend.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:I looked up the crab on Costco's website. I almost passed out when I saw the price - almost $400. You have a very nice friend.

At Sam's Club they sell King Crab Legs in single serving size....around a pound or two. Usually one claw leg, a couple full legs and maybe a piece or two of broken legs....sells for around $24 - $25/lb. Expensive, yes. But what you saw at Costco was the CASE Price for probably 20 pounds of legs.

The other nice thing about the ones at Sam's Club is they are all cut/scored through both sides of the shell so they just pull apart. Makes for really easy eating!

Cookin Lore

We were very fortunate in the 70's to have king crab at a really good price. They were coming from Russia. I found kitchen shears to be the best for cutting them.

Busy today with removing all the "small things" from my bedroom, as I have installers coming in the morning to take out my carpet and installing laminate flooring. As I was emptying my bookshelves, I thought "Do I really need 70 cookbooks????" LOL
Going to have a salmon steak, baked potato and a Delicata or sweet potato squash for dinner.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

Joe gave me the third degree about tossing a bottle of blue cheese dressing. It was a month past its' expiration. He wanted to know if it was still ok to eat. Maybe but did he want to take a chance? He tells me that I am the food expert so I should know. Well, I don't and I don't want to make anyone sick, so I toss. Then he says Katie might want it. I say if she or he wants it, they can dig it out of the trash. If she wants blue cheese dressing tonight and doesn't want the tossed stuff, she can go to the store herself. Same with him. I swear I go through this every time I cook - he questions everything I am doing. It drives me nuts.

So, tonight is a wedge salad with a baguette.

bethk

bethk
Admin

And that, Bugs, is why I make salad dressings.....You can make just the amount you want to use and don't have to agonize about leftovers. I usually make enough dressing for a couple salads and then it's all used up.

Dane gets mad at me because I'm the one who tosses deli luncheon meats. He's the only one who eats the stuff and I've made it clear: if it's more than 7 days since purchase (which is on the label) it gets tossed. Period.

He had asked me to pick up some Black Forest Ham when he was working with Patrick. After a week he still had about 1/4 lb. left and I threw it away. He said, "I was going to eat that!" I just repeated what I've said and acted on for years, "It was a week old ~ it's out." I don't even discuss it anymore. Not worth the aggravation.

Remember, IF YOU SAY IT WITH CONVICTION, IT IS SO. If he says you're the food expert just BE the food expert. Tell him you threw it out because it's no good. Don't argue the point.

Cookin Lore

I haven't bought a salad dressing in probably 20 years. Want a blue cheese dressing? use a bit of oil and vinegar, salt and pepper and throw some pieces of blue cheese on top. I make a mayo/buttermilk dressing up occasionally and that keeps for about two weeks, then I put either blue or feta on the salad as I make it/them.

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:And that, Bugs, is why I make salad dressings.....You can make just the amount you want to use and don't have to agonize about leftovers.  I usually make enough dressing for a couple salads and then it's all used up.  

Dane gets mad at me because I'm the one who tosses deli luncheon meats.  He's the only one who eats the stuff and I've made it clear:  if it's more than 7 days since purchase (which is on the label) it gets tossed.  Period.

He had asked me to pick up some Black Forest Ham when he was working with Patrick.  After a week he still had about 1/4 lb. left and I threw it away.  He said, "I was going to eat that!" I just repeated what I've said and acted on for years, "It was a week old ~ it's out."  I don't even discuss it anymore.  Not worth the aggravation.

Remember, IF YOU SAY IT WITH CONVICTION, IT IS SO.  If he says you're the food expert just BE the food expert.  Tell him you threw it out because it's no good.  Don't argue the point.  

Retired men should not be allowed in the kitchen. If I am the food expert, then why is he questioning my actions? JEEZ!

I read on the Oscar Mayer website that once opened, lunchmeat should be eaten within 7 days. It makes me question the freshness of the meat in the deli counter. You know some of that stuff has been there longer than 7 days.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Cookin Lore wrote:I haven't bought a salad dressing in probably 20 years.  Want a blue cheese dressing? use a bit of oil and vinegar, salt and pepper and throw some pieces of blue cheese on top.  I make a mayo/buttermilk dressing up occasionally and that keeps for about two weeks, then I put either blue or feta on the salad as I make it/them.

I forgot about making my own blue cheese dressing. Why not? CI has a really good recipe.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I made some dressing with gorgonzola from Trader Joe's. It's ok, not great. I need a better blue.

Cookin Lore

I use buttermilk/mayo mixed just 'till I like the thickness of it. Add some herbs, sometimes a little cayenne, sometimes just herbes de province from my grinder, salt, pepper and then chunks of blue cheese.

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had burgers on the charcoal grill....got mine cooked just the way I like it.

I reheated the leftover potatoes from last night ~ ~ and found I had some green onions hiding in the drawer so they got sauteed just a bit and mixed in. The potatoes were better with the green onions but were still 'leftover potatoes' so not all that great. I colored up our plates with some mixed vegetables.

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 10 09_27_10

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 10 09_27_11

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tonight's supper,
Sausage and peppers.
"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 10 Img_2021

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 10 Img_2022

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 10 Img_2023

bethk likes this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

It is going to be triple digits this week with the Santa Ana winds and more fires this week. Got to think of something cool to eat. I might buy another tri tip and throw it in the freezer since it is on sale. Another store has porterhouse steaks on sale for $5.99/lb. I should pick up a couple of those too.

I am trying to find a way to shave cooked meat without a meat slicer. Meat slicers are great, rarely used and a royal pain to clean so I don't want to buy one.

NormM

NormM

If you want to slice meat like a roast really thin, you can partially freeze it then cut it with a large knife. It takes some time but it works.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

Bugster2

NormM wrote:If you want to slice meat like a roast really thin, you can partially freeze it then cut it with a large knife.  It takes some time but it works.

I am talking about cooked meat. Do you do freeze it?

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Shaved = Meat Slicer.... Period.
Mom used the GE electric slicer...hahahahahaha

I know, the meat slicer works great, but a pain to clean.
I don't mind if there are a lot of people to serve. Then the meat slicer is great.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a ham steak so I decided to pair it with a baked butternut squash (that was on sale at $0.69/lb. instead of the usual $1.49/lb.) and some steamed cabbage. The meal didn't exactly 'go together' but we ate and now it's done.....

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 10 09_28_12

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina found a cooked corned beef in the freezer from St. Patrick's day.We picked at it, and had cole slaw on the side. Not great, but edible.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

Sounds like imagination is lacking in some of us these days. Certainly mine. I made stuffed peppers the other day, had two of those last night. My sis is barely hanging on with a thread, and we expect her to pass any minute. I hope it is soon, she deserves to rest in peace. It has been such a long painful time for her.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Prayers, Lore......I wish there was something comforting I could say but words don't seem to be appropriate....so, Prayers.....

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am sorry Lore.

I have a Breville toaster oven with an air fryer feature. I haven't used it yet. The oven is in a closet on a cart. I put it there when my sister gave me a Wolf countertop oven. I have been reading about English jacket potatoes and potatoes done in an air fryer. It is all about crispy skin. They say to cook a potato at 400 for two hours. I am firmly convinced I will produce a doorstop but I have a bag of potatoes that I need to use so I am going to play around with the air fryer feature and the 400 degrees for 2 hours method. What I am not clear about is whether the exterior is oiled or not. Got to do more research.

This is for you Beth. I know how you love your sweet potatoes. I saw a recipe where the potato is peeled and then sliced into 1-inch rounds. The rounds are put on a baking sheet and butter is poured over the top. You bake them for a while and then flip and bake some more so both sides are crispy. Have you made them this way?

Going to do a Costco run to get paper towels and a few other things.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum