Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night!

+4
NormM
Bugster2
Cookin Lore
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 9]

Bugster2

Bugster2

Sorry to hear about the leg sores. They can be a bitch to clear up. My father had a patient with a leg ulcer. He wrapped it up and sent him back on the streets. He came in for a dressing change and when my father unwrapped it, the sore was full of maggots. I would have passed out. He, on the other hand, was pleased as punch. Those maggots only eat dead tissue so the ulcer bed was wonderfully clean.

I went in for a Covid test today. Been feeling puny and they won't let me see the doctor until I get a negative result. It would shock the heck out of me if it was positive. I had heard that the test was uncomfortable and that they would shove the probe in to the back of your throat. It wasn't like that at all. The probe didn't go in any farther than my finger could.

I have an excess of ground turkey so I am making turkey meatloaf tonight along with some frozen veggies and a box of noodle roni.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Thanks Beth, Debbie, and Lore. It does hurt, and at the same time itches a little.
Taking CEFUROXIME AXETIL  500MG  Antibiotic.

Tina made a big pot of vegetable beef soup for supper.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Did the sores just appear or did you injure yourself first?

NormM

NormM

We had grilled hot wings today. Here are the grilled chicken wings and the hot sauce before they were combined. I thought it would be less messy if we just dipped the wing but I was mistaken. The were just as messy.

August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night! - Page 4 20200812

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Did the sores just appear or did you injure yourself first?

Dry and itchy, then I scratched and infected then. Being a diabetic didn't help.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I brought home a dozen donuts at 8AM. Joe ate half of them and now at 4PM he is sick and is going to loose them. I wish he would go to the doctor and get his stricture stretched open so this wouldn't happen. When it comes to donuts he has no self control. He is going to place the blame on me for getting sick.

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:  I thought it would be less messy if we just dipped the wing but I was mistaken. The were just as messy.

I could send you pictures of stains on the front of half a dozen shirts to prove your point......

It's not just you & Charlie. It's normal.....

LOL

NormM likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had BBQ carryout with neighbors Darlene & Tom tonight. They got ribs & sides they enjoyed. Dane got smoked chicken that he said was just 'OK'. I got what I thought was going to be smoked brisket. It was listed on the menu as 'Premium Beef' and the girl who took my order said it was 'like brisket ~ it's sliced'.

It was like chipped beef. I haven't a clue what cut of beef it was but it was horrible.

Never again. Even the collard greens were terrible ~ mostly tough pieces of stem. And that's something that I would think would be fairly easy to make.

Oh well, at least the company was fun.

NormM

NormM

I don't know if my tastes or expectations with BBQ have changed, but I have had several disappointing BBQ entrees recently. Gates BBQ is on it's third generation and we had some lately. They used to be the standard of good BBQ in Kansas City and this last order didn't have the flavor I remember and was over sauced. We had BBQ ribs from another place last week and they were over cooked and dry. The thing that irritates me the most are restaurants think they can flood anything with sauce and call it BBQ.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I purposely did not order ribs because, quite honestly, I like the ribs I cook ~ not falling off the bone and tasteless, but with just enough 'bite' to stay on the bone. And I like the rub I use.

But I really wanted some brisket. So very disappointed. And I won't try to make it because (1) I don't have a smoker, I've never tried to smoke one before (just oven roasted) and (2) I only wanted one meal, not enough for 20 people.

The place we went to has had wonderful reviews. I guess my tastes are a whole lot different from other people.

It's kind of like when I grilled steaks for my birthday dinner. I knew I could do a better job than what I could get by going out and it cost me 1/4th for the 4 of us as it would have cost for the two of us to go to a restaurant.

I must just be an old grumpy woman.......

(( just what I've been practicing to be my whole life! ))

NormM, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

Cookin Lore

That's one of the problems with those of us who really like to cook and become good at it. Sometimes it's difficult to pick something in a restaurant the comes up to our own expectations. My hubby did not like cooked vegetables, so through the years, I learned to make unusual salads, with lots of different things in them and that's how he got his veggies. When we would go out sometimes and he got a salad in a restaurant he'd say "They call this a salad?it's just lettuce and three pieces of tomato!" LOL

NormM, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had some soup and so had some of the neighbors.
Had some shepherds pie that Tina made too!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I brought home a dozen donuts at 8AM. Joe ate half of them and now at 4PM he is sick and is going to loose them. I wish he would go to the doctor and get his stricture stretched open so this wouldn't happen. When it comes to donuts he has no self control. He is going to place the blame on me for getting sick.
Poor Joe! .... Sounds like Tina when the stricture closes.

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:I purposely did not order ribs because, quite honestly, I like the ribs I cook ~ not falling off the bone and tasteless, but with just enough 'bite' to stay on the bone.  And I like the rub I use.  

But I really wanted some brisket.  So very disappointed.  And I won't try to make it because (1) I don't have a smoker, I've never tried to smoke one before (just oven roasted) and (2) I only wanted one meal, not enough for 20 people.  

The place we went to has had wonderful reviews.  I guess my tastes are a whole lot different from other people.

It's kind of like when I grilled steaks for my birthday dinner.  I knew I could do a better job than what I could get by going out and it cost me 1/4th for the 4 of us as it would have cost for the two of us to go to a restaurant.

I must just be an old grumpy woman.......

(( just what I've been practicing to be my whole life! ))

There is this cookbook called "Cheater BBQ". It is for people who aren't able to smoke their foods. I think it is very good. They use liquid smoke, rubs and sauces and it is all done in the oven.

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:I brought home a dozen donuts at 8AM. Joe ate half of them and now at 4PM he is sick and is going to loose them. I wish he would go to the doctor and get his stricture stretched open so this wouldn't happen. When it comes to donuts he has no self control. He is going to place the blame on me for getting sick.
Poor Joe! .... Sounds like Tina when the stricture closes.

He told me not to buy any more donuts. He said he only had about 2 1/2 donuts. He lied. I counted. He ate 6.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:

He told me not to buy any more donuts. He said he only had about 2 1/2 donuts. He lied. I counted. He ate 6.

Bugs, take him at his word. I would translate this to be: "I cannot control myself. If you don't bring donuts into the house I can't eat until I explode."

I absolutely love, LOVE, LOVE Krispy Creame donuts. But the yeast gets in my lower gut and starts to grow. I'm miserable when that happens. So, finally, I've learned that I CANNOT EAT KRISPY CREAME DONUTS. So I don't buy them.

I still think about them. But the pain isn't worth the pleasure of 6 bites.....

bethk

bethk
Admin

I took Lyn to Orlando for a post-surgery doctor appointment. Everything is now on track and she's had all restrictions lifted. She's actually walking without aid now. The PA did admit to her that it would be a full year before she's completely back to 'normal'.

We went out to lunch and did a bit of shopping. It was a fun day to just 'Get-Outta-Dodge' for the day!

Bugster2

Bugster2

It was 101 today. My Covid test came back negative. Had to have one before I can see the doctor.

I made turkey meatloaf and fed Joe early so he can digest it.

NormM

NormM

I have tried Krisp Creame donuts a couple of times. All I can taste in them is the sugar.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was great. Flounder fillet, string beans in tomato sauce and onions, and baby potatoes with herbs and olive oil.
A dixie cup of chocolate ice cream for dessert.

bethk likes this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

NormM wrote:I have tried Krisp Creame donuts a couple of times.  All I can taste in them is the sugar.

They are best if you can get one warm. YUM!

Cookin Lore

Takeout from local restaurant at son and DIL's house last night. Thought I'd try something from there that I hadn't tried before. "Roasted chicken and mushrooms with pasta." Taste was OK, but I think I found three or four small pieces of chicken and a few slices of mushrooms. A spaghetti type sauce all over it, then some mozzarella baked on top. $17.00....... their signature burger and fries at $11.00 would have been a better deal and taste.

It was nice sitting on their deck, temp was comfortable it was a good time anyway. Burger next time for sure!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

We drove to Ocala (about 30 minute drive) to go to a chain restaurant, Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen. We just wanted to 'get-outta-Dodge' and have some different choices. Dane, Tom & Darlene all ordered grilled/blackened/maple glazed salmon and I had the coconut shrimp (because I like fried things I don't fix at home.....).

It was a lovely time and everyone had a nice meal. We've decided to do that more often, drive out of 'the bubble' to try different places to eat.

August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night! - Page 4 08_14_18

Cookin Lore

I had to get a new indoor grill, the TFAL I had for almost 2 years busted, a short in apparently the plug. It fused to the outlet at the top of my stove, so I had to have that replaced. $129. for the service call, but I really like that grill. I have made shrimp on skewers on there quite often, so I very rarely will order shrimp in a restaurant.... Tonight I will make a prime rib steak on the grill, and probably bake a plain potato in the oven.. I know, wasting electricity by turning on the oven, but you know what? I don't care. I'm on my own, and dammit, when I want a baked potato, that's what I'm going to have! Baked potato with just a little butter and salt. HEAVEN!

Bugster2

Bugster2

It's hot here - 102 right now. Inside is about 80-82. We will turn on the air later.

Tonight are grilled burgers with grilled onions. Grilled the onions because of the salmonella outbreak. They say they have pulled all of the contaminated onions off the shelves but I am being cautious and sauteed my onions to kill any potential bacteria.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum