Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night!

+4
NormM
Bugster2
Cookin Lore
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 9]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:I'm going to my first real "party" since this nasty COVID locked us all down.  A friend's 60th b-day, an outdoor, masked event along the Niagara River!  Making potato salad for 30 people.  The weather is co-operating. 75 F, should be fun.

Lore, I'm sure everyone will have a wonderful, SAFE time. I really think a little common sense goes a long way. So you have to be spread a little thinner, it's still good for the soul to see people and enjoy one anothers company.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a skin-on boneless chicken breast. I cooked it in a little cast iron skillet 'under-a-brick' style (actually used a pot filled with water, wrapped in foil on the bottom) to weigh the breast so it got nice and crispy on the skin side.

I made fried rice flavor Rice-A-Roni, with the addition of about 1/4 c. of slivered almonds ~ oh, how I love that San Francisco Treat! (ding! ding!)

Admit it ~ you sang that San Francisco part, didn't you ??? LOL

Had Penzey seasoned green beans that were flavorless & stringy ~ not going to save any leftovers of those. Ick!

August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night! - Page 3 08_08_11

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:I'm going to my first real "party" since this nasty COVID locked us all down.  A friend's 60th b-day, an outdoor, masked event along the Niagara River!  Making potato salad for 30 people.  The weather is co-operating. 75 F, should be fun.

Lore, I'm sure everyone will have a wonderful, SAFE time.  I really think a little common sense goes a long way.  So you have to be spread a little thinner, it's still good for the soul to see people and enjoy one anothers company.  

Party was fun, they have a huge backyard and had enough outdoor furniture to fill a resort, so chairs, tables were distanced. Too much food, of course, but yumm!

One little personal cloud, though. As I was getting ready to leave I had a call from youngest son. (all of them were going to a cottage for a few days of fishing) He and his wife were on their way to pick up his brother and wife............. Michael had woken up with severe abdominal pain. Amy took him to a walk in clinic. They checked him and sent him off to the hospital................. And about 6 hours of arriving there, after an ultrasound and a CT scan, he was on his way to the O.R. Appendix was removed within 9 hours of when he hobbled into the walk in clinic. I know that our socialized medicine gets a bad rap sometimes, and we have complaints here about long wait times, but I surely am impressed with what they did for my son yesterday. He already posted something on FB this morning, so he must be feeling fine. I think he may not feel quite that well when the pain meds wear off, though.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thank heavens the boys were together! that must be such a relief for you.

Prayers for a quick and pain-free recovery!

Bugster2

Bugster2

Cookin Lore wrote:
bethk wrote:

Lore, I'm sure everyone will have a wonderful, SAFE time.  I really think a little common sense goes a long way.  So you have to be spread a little thinner, it's still good for the soul to see people and enjoy one anothers company.  

Party was fun, they have a huge backyard and had enough outdoor furniture to fill a resort, so chairs, tables were distanced.  Too much food, of course, but yumm!  

One little personal cloud, though. As I was getting ready to leave I had a call from youngest son. (all of them were going to a cottage for a few days of fishing) He and his wife were on their way to pick up his brother and wife............. Michael had woken up with severe abdominal pain.  Amy took him to a walk in clinic.  They checked him and sent him off to the hospital................. And about 6 hours of arriving there, after an ultrasound and a CT scan, he was on his way to the O.R. Appendix was removed within 9 hours of when he hobbled into the walk in clinic.  I know that our socialized medicine gets a bad rap sometimes, and we have complaints here about long wait times, but I surely am impressed with what they did for my son yesterday.  He already posted something on FB this morning, so he must be feeling fine.  I think he may not feel quite that well when the pain meds wear off, though.

Surgery for appendicitis has changed quite a bit since I was child. My nephew also had severe abdominal pain/vomiting. A trip to the ER, an ultrasound and he was rolled into surgery. He had a 1-inch incision to remove the appendix. He was home the same day.

NormM

NormM

I came across a video of Jaques Pepin making soup from whatever he found in the refrigerator and he mentioned that he didn't throw away the chicken skins. He crisped them up in the oven. He didn't give any details on how he did it, he just had some that he broke up and added to the soup, like crackers. I wanted to try that so I looked for his method of crisping up chicken skin and when I was looking, I found his recipe for crusty chicken thighs and decided I'd make that for dinner today. I also came across a recipe for strawberry mousse. I had not made that since before I met Charlie's mom so decided to make that too. We had some kim che with it but it didn't make it into the picture.August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night! - Page 3 20200811

bethk likes this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Cookin Lore

Bugster2 wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:
bethk wrote:

Party was fun, they have a huge backyard and had enough outdoor furniture to fill a resort, so chairs, tables were distanced.  Too much food, of course, but yumm!  

One little personal cloud, though. As I was getting ready to leave I had a call from youngest son. (all of them were going to a cottage for a few days of fishing) He and his wife were on their way to pick up his brother and wife............. Michael had woken up with severe abdominal pain.  Amy took him to a walk in clinic.  They checked him and sent him off to the hospital................. And about 6 hours of arriving there, after an ultrasound and a CT scan, he was on his way to the O.R. Appendix was removed within 9 hours of when he hobbled into the walk in clinic.  I know that our socialized medicine gets a bad rap sometimes, and we have complaints here about long wait times, but I surely am impressed with what they did for my son yesterday.  He already posted something on FB this morning, so he must be feeling fine.  I think he may not feel quite that well when the pain meds wear off, though.

Surgery for appendicitis has changed quite a bit since I was child. My nephew also had severe abdominal pain/vomiting. A trip to the ER, an ultrasound and he was rolled into surgery. He had a 1-inch incision to remove the appendix. He was home the same day.

The birthday girl of the party I attended is a nurse in the operating room There were two more nurses there who all said that the decisions regarding appendix removal has changed in the last 15 or so years. I know years ago they were reluctant to remove it. Michael's surgery was about 8 P.M. If it had been earlier chances are he'd have been sent home the same day.

bethk

bethk
Admin

The rain held off and we were able to grill the burgers. I made zucchini & onions and corn for sides.

August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night! - Page 3 08_09_11

Bugster2

Bugster2

I had to toss some TP rolls. We bought them during the shortage and they are terrible. Worse than gas station TP. One ply that just disintegrates. How can they sell something like that?
Last night was shrimp scampi, a baguette and egg rolls. An odd combination. Joe and Katie had a bottle of Margaritas but Joe drank too much and the acid got to him and he went to bed at 7. At least he didn't lose it.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jim came for supper ~ I bribed him with mashed potatoes! Chicken Fried Steak with mashed potatoes, milk gravy & asparagus.

No one left the table hungry.....

August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night! - Page 3 08_10_11

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Jim came for supper ~ I bribed him with mashed potatoes!  Chicken Fried Steak with mashed potatoes, milk gravy & asparagus.  

No one left the table hungry.....

August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night! - Page 3 08_10_11

Looks Good Beth, what kind of meat did you use? I just came back from Cracker Barrel for lunch, I ordered Country fried steak, my girl friend ordered their Monday special, meatloaf and mashed potato, I had potato hash brown casserole and turnip greens for the side, the turnip green was really tender and good, I was wondering how they cook it, I went straight to the store to get some turnip greens, I want to cook it tomorrow

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

Went to son's house (the one that just had his appendix out on Saturday) this afternoon. He's fine, amazing what they can do laparascopically these days. He can't bend down, is not supposed to lift anything heavier than 10 pounds, but he was able to do a fine job of smoking ribs. Yummy!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:

Looks Good Beth, what kind of meat did you use? I just came back from Cracker Barrel for lunch, I ordered Country  fried steak, my girl friend ordered their Monday special, meatloaf and mashed potato, I had potato hash brown casserole and turnip greens for the side, the turnip green was really tender and good, I was wondering how they cook it, I went straight to the store to get some turnip greens, I want to cook it tomorrow

Imelda, I used beef cubed steak ~ marinated in buttermilk & sriracha or garlic chili paste for a few hours. Then I press it into flour/cornstarch seasoned with salt and lots of pepper. I try to get a lot of the flour to adhere to the meat. Then on to a plate and put in the refrigerator to sit, uncovered, for 1/2 hour or longer to let the buttermilk absorb the flour and dry out a bit. That way the breading will stay in place when fried. I use a good amount of bacon grease (I save it in a container in the freezer when I cook bacon) and a little oil. I use medium heat so they don't get too browned too soon in the cast iron skillet. Gravy is some of the leftover dredging flour used with the remaining fat in the skillet to make a roux. Added more black pepper..... Then, milk is the liquid to finish the gravy. It usually gets really thick so I just keep adding more milk as it simmers so it doesn't turn into a really thick bechamel sauce.

I'm sure your turnip greens will turn out wonderfully. I usually make collards. You can add hot pepper flakes to spice them up. I always add about a tsp. of brown sugar to counteract the bitter taste they sometimes have.

But if you like the ones at Cracker Barrel, you might look at the grocery store for canned ones. I'm pretty sure that's what they use and just reheat ~ maybe adding a bit more ham to make them look 'homemade'.

Cookin Lore

Bugster2 wrote:I had to toss some TP rolls. We bought them during the shortage and they are terrible. Worse than gas station TP. One ply that just disintegrates. How can they sell something like that?
Last night was shrimp scampi, a baguette and egg rolls. An odd combination. Joe and Katie had a bottle of Margaritas but Joe drank too much and the acid got to him and he went to bed at 7. At least he didn't lose it.

I know this is a cooking site, but I have to comment on the one ply TP.........................I lived on a farm for 39 years where we had to deal with the septic system. First time we had to have the tank emptied, the septic "technitian" asked me what kind of TP we used. I was proud of the fact that I bought a good quality. He said that the ones with all the lovely creams, lotions etc., are the worst. They clump and clog up the system. They don't break down for a very long time. With the fact that everyone is telling us to conserve water, there's not enough liquid to break everything down. He said that we should be using the single ply if we wanted our system to work properly. You have to use a longer piece sometimes, but in the end you'll save the system.

bethk likes this post

NormM

NormM

Then I must have bought a two ply recently that was made to break down quickly because it was lousy otherwise. It parted when I used it and dissolved instantly if it got wet. I will never intentionally get that kind again. I don't have a septic tank, thankfully.

Cookin Lore

Just a question here, I keep reading about shrimp scampi................ Are scampi not a type of crustation? So, how can you have shrimp scampi?

NormM

NormM

Scampi is an Italian word that refers to a type of large shrimp, but the term in cooking usually just refers to how it is cooked:  With butter and garlic and with bread crumbs.

Cookin Lore

That really doesn't answer my question. What is shrimp scampi?

bethk

bethk
Admin

I pulled out a boneless chicken breast with no idea of what to make.

I finally looked and decided to use what few fresh vegetables I had to make a chicken stir fry.....onion, carrot, celery, red pepper & green cabbage.

And it turned out pretty tasty. Just lucky, I guess.

August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night! - Page 3 08_11_12

Bugster2

Bugster2

I don't know what you are asking about shrimp scampi. My recipe name is shrimp scampi. It is shrimp, sauteed in butter and garlic. Sometimes you wil see wine in the recipe, sometimes it is served over linguini. That's all I know about it other than it is good.

As for my 1-ply TP. it dissolved immediately and that is something I don't want to repeat. Fortunately, we are on the city sewer system.

Cookin Lore

Guess I'm just being picky. If scampi are a large shrimp, then to me shrimp scampi is shrimp shrimp. LOL Forget I asked.

NormM

NormM

Most people don't know that scampi is an Italian name for a special variety of shrimp. I guess a more accurate way to describe the species is as scampi shrimp. Like all scampi are shrimp but not all shrimp are scampi.   But most people only think of it as the name of a method for preparing an Italian recipe for shrimp.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I was on hospital food last couple days.
I am back home now.
Not heart / but Wound Care infection both legs. ( Shins )
Diabetes caused it. ....... I have pics, but I will post on another thread ((later.)) Ok?
I diagnosed it on the internet as Cellulitis, And I Was Right. Yay! Dr. Jimmy...!!!!!
I tried nursing it myself because of the corona virus.

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I was on hospital food last couple days.
I am back home now.
Not heart / but Wound Care infection both legs. ( Shins )
Diabetes caused it. ....... I have pics, but I will post on another thread ((later.)) Ok?
I diagnosed it on the internet as Cellulitis, And I Was Right. Yay! Dr. Jimmy...!!!!!
I tried nursing it myself because of the corona virus.

Oh, good heavens, Jimmy. That sounds painful!

I hope you got it taken care of and have someone coming to the house to continue treatment. Take care of yourself.....we need you around here.

Cookin Lore

NormM wrote:Most people don't know that scampi is an Italian name for a special variety of shrimp. I guess a more accurate way to describe the species is as scampi shrimp. Like all scampi are shrimp but not all shrimp are scampi.   But most people only think of it as the name of a method for preparing an Italian recipe for shrimp.
Thanks, I have always thought of scampi as a crustacion, that's why it confused me. LOL So this is like all squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares. Anyhow, whatever they are called, I call them all delicious.

Sorry to read about the cellulitis. It is a bugger to get rid of.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum