Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night!

+4
NormM
Bugster2
Cookin Lore
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 9]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Since Dane is working (personally, I think he's crazy for accepting the job offer.....) I'm trying to fix easy, non-grilled items. He's in charge of lighting/monitoring the charcoal and/or gas grill ~ both of which need to be uncovered and pulled out so I can cook on them. I don't want him to have to do any more physical labor just to have a meal.

So, tonight he's getting one of his favorites ~ tacos. I even made some guacamole for him.

I'm going to have mine as a taco salad with all the fixin's.....

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

We are going to have a mish-mash of leftovers: ribs, Costco chicken, pasta salad and leftover ham and cheese omelet and whatever else surfaces in the fridge.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

You know how sometimes you think you're doing everything for a meal "same as usual'' ~ and then the other person at the table says, "This is REALLY good!"

I just said, "Thank you. Glad you like it."

I mean ~ what the heck? It was ground beef with taco seasoning/water. How different can it taste??? But maybe he was just more hungry than he thought......

Whatever ~ I'll take a compliment any way it comes!

August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night! - Page 6 08_19_11

Maybe it was the addition of black olive slices that I put in a little bowl.....not my usual side offering but I wanted them on my salad. What can I say? I must of done something right! LOL

cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina cooked a beef and peppers & onions stir fry in the iron pan.
I never knew that beef is in the meat case sliced thin already for stir fry, and even for for cheese steaks. Goes to show how long it's been since I went shopping.
Cantaloupe for dessert.....Grrrrrrrrr! I need a cookie with my coffee.

cookingirl likes this post

NormM

NormM

I smoked today's brisket with oak wood, Texas style, seasoned with just salt and pepper.  My smoker was running hot- around 300º.  I don't know what was different but it got done in about 8 hours.... well the front half got done, I am finishing the last half in the oven now.  
The last picture is the crispy end that was closest to the fire.  Arthur Bryant used to put these trimmings out for people to take and nibble on while waiting  in line to order.  They were very popular but he couldn't put them on the menu because this is about all there is on one brisket.  There were never enough to make complete servings for one without running out very quickly.  After his death, someone reimagined his" burnt ends" by cubing the almost done  large end of the brisket, putting some more rub on it and a little sauce and finishing it in the smoker.  That is what you will get when you order burnt ends at BBQ restaurants today.August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night! - Page 6 20200814
August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night! - Page 6 20200817
August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night! - Page 6 20200816

bethk and cookingirl like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina cooked a beef and peppers & onions stir fry in the iron pan.
I never knew that beef is in the meat case sliced thin already for stir fry, and even for for cheese steaks. Goes to show how long it's been since I went shopping.

I found out about the thin meat a year ago. It is hard to separate in the pan.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina cooked a beef and peppers & onions stir fry in the iron pan.

I found out about the thin meat a year ago. It is hard to separate in the pan.

Tina had no problem. Th cast iron pan was hot, added oil, and immediately added the meat. They were thin 6 inch long slices, but she cut them in half to 3 inch long.

Bugster2

Bugster2

My meat sounds like a lot more and thinner but it was perfect for a Philly cheesesteak.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Replay from previously......meatloaf.

August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night! - Page 6 08_20_11

cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Cookin Lore

Chicken wings, tabbouleh, and a potato/cabbage salad. Sis asked for chicken wings and the cabbage/potato salad, so I'm having it today, will take some to her tomorrow.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had easy great tasting summer sandwiches. B L T C
Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato, and Cheese, on lightly toasted white bread.
Cantaloup and watermelon squares for dessert.

Bugster2

Bugster2

What kind of cheese do you use Jimmy?

I think I am gonna die. I am watching Diners Drive-ins and Dives and they are showing a restaurant an Vancouver called the Pie Hole. OMG the pies in that shop! Increduble! Why aren't there places around here like that?

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:What kind of cheese do you use Jimmy?

I think I am gonna die. I am watching Diners Drive-ins and Dives and they are showing a restaurant an Vancouver called the Pie Hole. OMG the pies in that shop! Increduble! Why aren't there places around here like that?

Land O Lakes deli white.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Have had no internet (or house phone) for two days.

they're working on it off & on today. Every time they fix something then another problem surfaces.

Don't know when I'll get back on.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

What IP company do you use? ..... I use comcast and it is always a different issue.

bethk

bethk
Admin

We have Comcast. The guy was here for 3 hours and thinks most issues are corrected......except for needing a new line from their feed to our house. That's a different department. Go figure.....

He changed out two TV boxes, gave us a wireless thingy....I don't understand any of it. All I know is he thought everything was fixed and got ready to leave when he was notified he had to run some 'test'. That turned into a huge cluster....

Then I only had 2 out of 5 channels I normally watch ~ HUH??? One TV worked, one didn't. Internet was connected and then it wasn't.

But all seems to be working now. We'll see how long it lasts.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Last night I made my 'faux' Applebee's Fried Chicken Salad. I even had red cabbage for it this time.

August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night! - Page 6 08_21_11

bethk

bethk
Admin

I grilled some burgers tonight. Dane decided he wanted his on a bun.....a cheeseburger. Good thing I'm good natured.....LOL Had some nice green beans and simple chive butter noodles to go along.

August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night! - Page 6 08_22_17

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Looks good Beth....
Lunch was a McDouble with cheese and a small fries.

Supper, was pork steaks simmered and braised in onions, and with potatoes.

Tomorrow is Tina's Birthday, and we are having her party with the kids.
NO Cooking. Ordering takeout from the Hong Kong Palace restaurant.
She caught up to me now. 3/4 of a century. God Love her!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tell Tina I send my very best wishes for a fabulous birthday!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Tell Tina I send my very best wishes for a fabulous birthday!

Thank You......she said!

bethk likes this post

cookingirl

cookingirl

bethk wrote:Have had no internet (or house phone) for two days.

they're working on it off & on today.  Every time they fix something then another problem surfaces.

Don't know when I'll get back on.

I have Comcast also. I had some issues the other day, with my phone. It is Verizon, but the internet it uses is Comcast. Very strange. I ended up rebooting the phone and now it is ok..

I had issues with may computer, also. I had to delete the history, clean the cache (whatever that is) and now it is ok.

While I was having problems, I checked on DownDetector to see if anyone else has had recent problems. Seems like Comcast has been having tons of issues; from Chicago, eastward. If I understand my research correctly, It seems a huge fiber optic line was down.
~~~~~
For supper last night, I had an easy one---as usual. Leftover chicken, brown rice and some roasted multicolored baby carrots. I sprinkled a bit of Penzey's Herbs de Provence on the carrots; Mixed it all together, topping off with a bit of Colavita EVOO with lemon Essence.. It was really good.

Having leftovers tonight.

cookingirl

cookingirl

Oh, Jimmy:
Please tell Tina, Happy Birthday, from me... (((hugs))))

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:Oh, Jimmy:
Please tell Tina, Happy Birthday, from me... (((hugs))))

She said.... "Thank You!"

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane suggested a ribeye sounded good for tonight so ribeye it was!

Did the usual baked potato & asparagus on the side ~ I had a salad at the ready but forgot so it sat all lonely in the refrigerator.....oh, well, can't win 'em all!

August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night! - Page 6 08_23_10

NormM, cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum