Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night!

+4
NormM
Bugster2
Cookin Lore
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 9]

bethk

bethk
Admin

I sent an email to Michelle a week ago, haven't heard anything.

Last time I heard from her she said they were doing OK but it was difficult for them. I'm just saying prayers for their health & safety......

I was at a complete loss as to what to fix for supper. I finally decided on leftovers ~ but it didn't sound all that good.

Dane said he'd be happy with a Spicy Chicken Sandwich.....

So, off to Chic-Fil-A I went and got him his sandwich and some waffle fries and picked up some chicken tenders and a large Crunchy Kale Salad for myself.

We'll probably wake up in the middle of the night hungry but it was pretty tasty and took all the problem of 'what-to-fix' out of the equation. I do enjoy their Kale Salad ~ but understand why others don't. It's REALLY kale forward and takes a lot of chewing, unlike most salads. I guess that's what I like about it......

Dane likes their Spicy Chicken Sandwich because it's much more spicy than most restaurant sandwiches.

I like most of their chicken ~ always 'fresh' and never under cooked.....it has a good taste and never tastes like it was cooked in 'old' oil. I have to force myself to NOT order their Peach Milkshake ~ it has chunks of peaches that get stuck in the straw! OMG ~ I don't NEED that many calories, to be sure, but once a summer I break down and order one! (( you all know how little self control I have ))

I'm not big on 'fast food' but, quite honestly, Chic-fil-A does a nice job and they really do a nice job with their drive-thru ordering. I can say I've NEVER had them mess up my order (other than substituting chicken strips for chicken nuggets one time.....better deal for me because they were short on nuggets) and the food has always been well cooked and tasty.

cookingirl likes this post

NormM

NormM

While at Costco today, I picked up a boneless leg of lamb, not knowing what I'd do with it but by the time I got home I knew it was going to be Chislic, which is cubed, marinated, skewered and grilled lamb.

A decades long internet friend if Florida who recently passed away always put a little dry powdered Ranch dressing in the mayonnaise when she made deviled eggs. Everyone except Charlie loves them that way. I didn't tell him I put some in and he didn't notice. He ate 6.August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night! - Page 8 20200818

bethk and cookingirl like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:
A decades long internet friend if Florida who recently passed away always put a little dry powdered Ranch dressing in the mayonnaise when she made deviled eggs.  Everyone except Charlie loves them that way. I didn't tell him I put some in and he didn't notice.  He ate 6.

I love that, Norm!

I use to fix things for the girls and just not mention there was something in the meal they didn't normally like.

Your meal looks wonderful!

NormM and cookingirl like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was green beans in tomato sauce.
Rye sliced bread and butter.
Tina is heating me up, a slice of pizza.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks Jimmy! I have some ground pork that I was wondering what to do with.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:While at Costco today, I picked up a boneless leg of lamb, not knowing what I'd do with it but by the time I got home I knew it was going to be Chislic, which is cubed, marinated, skewered and grilled lamb.

A decades long internet friend if Florida who recently passed away always put a little dry powdered Ranch dressing in the mayonnaise when she made deviled eggs.  Everyone except Charlie loves them that way. I didn't tell him I put some in and he didn't notice.  He ate 6.August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night! - Page 8 20200818

DD puts mustard mixed in the mayo.
I use just a little onion powder, kosher salt, and mayo.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I went back and looked at things I fixed a year ago and hit 'pay dirt' on a meal with brats & German Potato Salad. I added broccoli to add some color.....

I did screw up a bit on the potato salad ~ grabbed the celery salt instead of the celery seed ~ made it a bit salty. I added more sugar & vinegar to counteract but it still wasn't 'right', if you know what I mean. We ate it but I won't be saving any leftovers.

Can't win 'em all.......

August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night! - Page 8 08_28_13

cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Pizza delivery tonight ~ ~ I'm in such a cooking funk.......

Hopefully a good night's sleep will cause my brain to come up with an idea that sounds good.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had pierogi .... Potato / cheese.... and Sauerkraut.

Smoked sliced kielbasa

Bugster2

Bugster2

We had ham & swiss on rye, I made a batch of chocolate chip cookie dough. I defrosted a chunk of chuck that I am going to make a stew with. Got to go to the store and pick up a few things to go into it. It was blissfully cool this morning - 53 degrees. I turned on the whole house fan to cool off the inside. Katie anf Joe are in the pool. I am not in the mood. I am watching "The Egg and I".

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Pizza delivery tonight ~ ~ I'm in such a cooking funk.......

Hopefully a good night's sleep will cause my brain to come up with an idea that sounds good.

I have been in a cooking funk as well. Made a bunch of large burgers last night, about 8oz., so that I can just take one at a time out of the freezer for supper. I had one last night, made in the oven and a lovely sweet potato plus a tomato/onion salad. Field grown tomatoes are soooo good right now.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:

I have been in a cooking funk as well.  Made a bunch of large burgers last night, about 8oz., so that I can just take one at a time out of the freezer for supper.  I had one last night, made in the oven and a lovely sweet potato plus a tomato/onion salad.  Field grown tomatoes are soooo good right now.

Really tasty 'Tomato-y' tomatoes are one thing I really miss since moving from Ohio. The soil in Florida does NOT grow good tomatoes, even though some are beautiful ~ ~ there is just no flavor. We do get decent and tasty sweet corn ~ but I really miss a meal featuring BOTH at one time....

So, enjoy your tomatoes and have an extra one for me!

Bugster2

Bugster2

It's funny because you and Lore have completely different ideas of what a burger is than what I think. To me a burger is a ground beef patty, either fried, grilled or bbq'd, served on a bun with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, sauce, pickles, cheese (optional). A side would be fries of some kind, onion rings. Never would it be just the meat alone. If you want to get fancy, then it would be something like a Father's Office burger (Santa Monica, CA). It is a ground steak patty (rib eye, NY) served on a roll with bacon/onion jam lettuce, tomato, gruyere, and I forget what else.

Cookin Lore

To me the burger is the meat. To go on a bun, they have to be grilled for me. And preferably eaten outdoors!

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

NormM

NormM

I just had a BLT for lunch. The backyard neighbor gave me some tomatoes from their garden. My yard is to shady to have a good garden.

bethk, cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina was all ready to make a meatloaf. hahahaha
BUT!
She didn't have the steam to put it together. So she made a sauce with meatballs.
Good ole Sunday spaghetti and meatballs.
She sliced tomatoes for a side salad...seasoned with garlic and oregano.
We have three freezers of beef loaded from the last slaughter up on DD & Lennys farm.

Cookin Lore

I'm taking dinner to my sister today. It's going to be a takeout from a local restaurant which has a Shepherd's pie that is amazing. It is in a pastry bowl. I've made it a few times but never with a pastry base.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:I'm taking dinner to my sister today.  It's going to be a takeout from a local restaurant which has a Shepherd's pie that is amazing.  It is in a pastry bowl.  I've made it a few times but never with a pastry base.  

I'm sure she will enjoy even a short visit with you. Have a nice time.

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina was all ready to make a meatloaf. hahahaha
BUT!
She didn't have the steam to put it together.  So she made a sauce with meatballs.
We have three freezers of beef loaded from the last slaughter up on DD & Lennys farm.

Did you get an entire steer or half? Either way that's a lotta beef!

I would LOVE to have a few packages of ox tail ~ I've been hungry for some REAL beef vegetable soup ~ the kind made from homemade beef stock and every vegetable from the garden ~ and a few frozen ones thrown in for extra taste......

Bugster2

Bugster2

That's a lot of beef. Makes me think of the "I Love Lucy" show where she bought two sides of beef not realizing how much it really was.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made some chicken chunks in leftover Kalbi sauce ~ just makes a nice glaze on the chicken. Split a sweet potato and made air roasted green beans & mushrooms ~ love that my oven has an air fry and I can quick roast vegetables and get a nice caramelization on them.

August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night! - Page 8 08_30_11

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina was all ready to make a meatloaf. hahahaha
BUT!
She didn't have the steam to put it together.  So she made a sauce with meatballs.

Did you get an entire steer or half?  Either way that's a lotta beef!

I would LOVE to have a few packages of ox tail ~ I've been hungry for some REAL beef vegetable soup ~ the kind made from homemade beef stock and every vegetable from the garden ~ and a few frozen ones thrown in for extra taste......

A half plus. The other got shared with some to the processor, and plus a pig to use for payment for the packaging. Bartering, I think they call it.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

A half plus. The other got shared with some to the processor, and plus a pig to use for payment for the packaging. Bartering, I think they call it.

That's what my dad did every year. Of course, we were kids so he told us he TRADED our steer to a farmer who needed a steer to be in his pasture with his dairy cows ~ to keep them company........yeah, we were pretty stupid..........LOL

Did you get the soup bones, too? That's something that's hard to find these days.

Normally, pigs are pretty cheap. It's good you got the packaging and, I assume, the original freezing, for the price of a pig.

NormM

NormM

Charlie has been searching for Chicken Fried Steak like they had in the high school cafeteria so when I see one, I give it a try. He said it was good but he is afraid the only ones like he had are made in a factory.August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night! - Page 8 20200819

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

That's what my dad did every year.  Of course, we were kids so he told us he TRADED our steer to a farmer who needed a steer to be in his pasture with his dairy cows ~ to keep them company........yeah, we were pretty stupid..........LOL

Did you get the soup bones, too?  That's something that's hard to find these days.

Normally, pigs are pretty cheap.  It's good you got the packaging and, I assume, the original freezing, for the price of a pig.

The pigs they raise, are a special breed from what they told me. At the time, the butcher was in need for a pig for a customer of his, and the pig paid the bill foe processing. No...no bones. Mostly ground beef. The main thing they keep on the farm, is the sheep. Another special breed that are not sheared. That's enough work for them. You now what I'm talking about.... Easy as they can make it for themselves. They even gave up the chickens. Boo Hoo! No more fresh eggs!!!

One good thing. The farm co-op we have in town, is proposing to build a slaughter house, so that people can buy right here at a less costly meats , and it will create jobs and attraction to the little town. OMG....you should hear the people that oppose building it.
OMG, they have blood running down the streets, and smells. They think the animals will be screaming all night as they wait for their final doom. hahahaha
Can you believe some people.

I remember when we first moved here, and Tina bought a case ( wood crate ) of chickens, and when she paid, the guy said, there are your chickens maam. She said.. wha wha what??? ..... Who kills them?? the guy laughed, and said, I don't know, but that's the way you buy chickens here. She said, NO WAY!
She gave the crate back, and got her money back. She thought the chickens would be killed, dressed, and packaged. August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night! - Page 8 2876911673

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum