Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

June, 2020 ~ What we're cooking all day long?

+3
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 11]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Joe had a huge burger for lunch and says he isn't going to eat for 3 days. I had some leftover lasagna.

Katie went in for a mamogram at 4:30, promptly had an attack of narcolepsy and ended up in the hospital. She called to tell us what happened but doesn't know what hospital she is in. Her blood pressure was very high so they are running some tests. I hope they keep her over-night because she won't be able to drive and I can't drive at night. That means Joe may have to go pick her up and then the two of them go back tomorrow to get her car. It is probably still in the dr's office parking lot. I hope it doesn't get towed or broken into.
Oh! No!  Hope Katie gets that under control. Poor thing!

I do the same thing Joe did sometimes. Its called Gluttony. 6 hours later, I'm looking to eat. hahaha............

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Eggplant parm, from Giancarlos. Cavatelli and broccoli.
Italian pastries for dessert.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Katie is fine. She had a nasty tech doing her mamogram. She got even by dropping on the floor. Prolly scared the heck out of the tech. Katie's narcolepsy is triggered by stress and lack of sleep. I have another friend who also has narcolepsy. She falls over laughing too much. What a strange condition.

JHoe didn't eat anything except Maalox after that gargantuan burger. I am going to have to stop him from eating too much. It will be sandwiches tonight if he eats anything.

Albertson's has a sale on Baskin Robbins ice cream. i am going to go load up on some pints. I can make a pint last for over a month. Joe can make one last about 5 minutes.

Cookin Lore

Oh Dear! I hope it all turns out well.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Bugster2 wrote:
Albertson's has a sale on Baskin Robbins ice cream. i am going to go load up on some pints. I can make a pint last for over a month. Joe can make one last about 5 minutes.

Same here, I bought 2 pints, I might go back and get a couple more, Dirk also finished his in 5 minutes, I ate half last night and still have some for later. They also have cantaloupe for 9 cents/each, I bought 2, 88 cents for blueberries and blackberries

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had scambled eggs and cheese  for brunch. All grain bread toasted.

Supper will be sausage and peppers. (Cooking in the toaster oven ).

bethk

bethk
Admin

Neighbor Jim gave me some eggs he had that he wasn't going to use so I told him I'd make him a cake. All he wants is a couple pieces. I'll have to divey up the rest around the neighborhood ~ shouldn't be too difficult!

I decided to make the apple cake that everyone liked the last time I made it. I'm not going to frost it with the cream cheese frosting this time. I'll just give it a dusting with powdered sugar and call it a day. I peeled a few too many apples so I just fried them up with a little butter, brown sugar & a few 'red hot' cinnamon candies. I think I'll suggest Jim have them on his cake.....

June, 2020 ~ What we're cooking all day long? - Page 2 06_05_12

June, 2020 ~ What we're cooking all day long? - Page 2 06_05_13

He's taking us out for supper tonight ~ going to one of the country clubs close by. He's such a nice, kind man. I'd love to have him come to dinner more often but he's had a lot of stomach problems and doesn't want to chance being away if trouble hits. I guess he knows what he can order at the place we're going tonight ~ he says he's been there every night for the last two weeks.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was lovely. I had mussels & clams w/linguini with a light lemon sauce. Jim had shrimp & scallops with the same linguini/lemon sauce and Dane (being the rebel he is.....) had liver and onions. Not a dish I can eat. Ever since Rosemary's Baby (movie with Mia Farrow way back when) I can't even cook it for him. I use to. But I can't stand the look, feel, smell of it now.

That's why there are restaurants.

And I'm glad he's happy.

NormM

NormM

ThermoWorks sent a YouTube link for Texas Style BBQ Ribs and I has a slab that I had trimmed in the freezer so I tried it. I was skeptical about it working because had enough similarities to a brisket recipe and this was pork but it worked out well and will have probably changed the way I smoke ribs (and I always thought I had the best ribs LOL) Sides were garlic bread, slaw and potato salad. June, 2020 ~ What we're cooking all day long? - Page 2 20200612
June, 2020 ~ What we're cooking all day long? - Page 2 20200611

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

You always do such a nice job on smoked / grilled meats, Norm! Those ribs look perfectly done, tender but not so much the meat falls off the bones. Perfect!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had a double buy of bananas this week. Tina and Maria both bought them. Still......all talk, and no cake or bread. 

Supper was sausage and peppers. Rotelli and sauce. 
Italian cookies for dessert.

June, 2020 ~ What we're cooking all day long? - Page 2 Img_1916

Last edited by UNCLE JIMMY on Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add Picture)

NormM

NormM

Thanks Beth. This recipe, technique, is going to change the way I smoke ribs.

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM

NormM

The order has been placed. I was thinking about it and when you showed me where they had some, I ordered it right away.

bethk

bethk
Admin

cool

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:We had a double buy of bananas this week. Tina and Maria both bought them. Still......all talk, and no cake or bread. 

Supper was sausage and peppers. Rotelli and sauce. 
Italian cookies for dessert.

June, 2020 ~ What we're cooking all day long? - Page 2 Img_1916

Hey, Jimmy! Someone snuck a couple shrimp in with your peppers & sausage! Almost a coastal boil!

Cookin Lore

Making another rabbit today. I will not be eating it. Made two earlier this week and I had two meals of them. Now, my brother-in-law has been feeling left out of the rabbit meals, so I am making one especially for him. Then I don't want to see another rabbit for a while. My sister has never cooked one and is not particularly fond of it/them. BIL is from Trinidad and he eats everything. I remember the first time my sister brought him to our place and I asked her if she thought he'd eat rabbit, and she said "He comes from an island where they eat snakes, he'll eat rabbit" BIL is a fabulous musician/singer. He came to Canada as a member of the Police band of Trinidad and Tobago for Expo67 in Montreal. After Expo was over, the band did a Canada tour, he loved it, and immigrated a couple of years later. He likes snow! LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lore, you're so very kind to cook for everyone who asks! It's such a compliment to have so many want your special dishes. I'll bet your sister appreciates you cooking for BIL so she doesn't have to deal with it ~ way to go!

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:Supper was lovely.  I had mussels & clams w/linguini with a light lemon sauce.  Jim had shrimp & scallops with the same linguini/lemon sauce and Dane (being the rebel he is.....) had liver and onions.  Not a dish I can eat.  Ever since Rosemary's Baby (movie with Mia Farrow way back when) I can't even cook it for him.  I use to.  But I can't stand the look, feel, smell of it now.  

That's why there are restaurants.

And I'm glad he's happy.

I wish we had some place out here that had meals like that. Perhaps if we drove 45 mins to Oceanside we could find a seafood restaurant. All we have is the Blue Oyster grill and I am not sure it is open.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had to go to the grocery store today ~ the list was full of 'We-need-this' items. As usual, I looked around the produce department, looking for fresh and looking for inspiration. I saw some of the loveliest collards that I've seen in a long time. Lately all they've had is old, dried-out, wilted greens. Not what I want. Today they looked bright green and crisp....a good buy!

So, supper was decided right then & there. Pork and greens.....and probably some boiled potatoes. I might even make some corn muffins just because they only have to bake for about 15 minutes and the oven won't be on that long.

When I went to get some pork steaks I noticed some beef cubed steaks just being stocked. So, there's another meal for this week ~ chicken fried steak w/cream gravy. Hopefully we'll have another picking of green beans by the time I make that.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have had collard greens but, like kale and broccoli rabe, find them bitter. I really don't like bitter anything. There used to be soul food restaurant in Newport that had ribs, fried chicken, collards, cornbread and sweet potato pie that my mother loved. Since she was born in the south, she loved southern cooking. I like most southern foods except for greens. She loved butter beans and ham with a chunk of green onion and corn bread and ate it any chance she got. Someone made a canned variety that when cooked low and slow was very good. One of my in-laws saw a can of the stuff in my kitchen one day and never let me hear the end of it. He was such a critical wanna-be gourmet and food snob. He didn't know what he wwas missing, especially fried chicken with cream gravy. My mother made the best fried chicken and cream gravy. I couldn't get enough of it. No one outside of my family that I know has ever had cream gravy. In fact they don't know what it is.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugs ~ you can take the 'bitter' out of collards by adding a bit of brown sugar.  Not enough to make it sweet, but 'just enough'.  I learned that from a 90-something Southern Lady.  I usually make greens 'my way' with some peppers (this time I used a red jalapeno & a hot banana pepper), a sliced onion & homemade ham (or hock) stock.  We really like greens. The peppers don't have any real heat after cooking for 45 minutes to an hour, but still impart a nice flavor.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I will have to pass on the peppers but the brown sugar sounds like a good tip. There are some really good soul food restaurants in south central L.A. but it isn't the safest place to go.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Sorry I can't tell you how much to add ~ it depends upon how many greens, how bitter they are to begin with and whether or not it's raining on the day you're cooking them......No, not really about the rain ~ just wanted to check if you were really reading my post! Hahahahaha

Seriously, use some good ham/hock stock (I always have some in the freezer.) and saute your onion in a bit of oil, add about 1 tsp. of brown sugar (helps sweeten the onions, too) and then add your stock and start adding your sliced greens, turning & stirring until they wilt down and all fit in your pot. I only used about 3/4 c. of stock to my pot today and it's got lots of liquid.

Also, to cut down on some of the bitterness (IMO) I add some white vinegar to my 3rd rinse of the greens ~ when they're sliced and ready to cook. I just add about 1/2 c. to a sink full of water and slosh 'em around for a bit before I drain them and then take them to the pot.

Give it a try. If you don't like 'em you'll be out maybe $3. I've ruined more expensive stuff and just took it as a learning lesson.....

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Lore, you're so very kind to cook for everyone who asks!  It's such a compliment to have so many want your special dishes.  I'll bet your sister appreciates you cooking for BIL so she doesn't have to deal with it ~ way to go!

Thanks, yes, I love cooking for people who appreciate it.  Re my BIL, he was a policeman in Trinidad, policing is in his family.  But, BIL was too easy on the bad guys, he wanted to lead them to Jesus, not jail! LOL So, he was put in charge of the police band.  His father was chief of police for Trinidad and Tobago.

P.S. When I moved into this condo building, I thought about starting a small cooking service for residents here. I am closing in on my 76th. b-day next week, and I am one of the younger owners here. So, I was thinking to do something like saying that maybe on Tuesdays, I'd make meatloaf, Wednesday something else etc. and just take orders. Of course, it would be technically illegal. LOL and now that my sister is not well, I have given that idea up. For now.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum