Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

June, 2020 ~ What we're cooking all day long?

+3
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 11]

Cookin Lore

I haven'r dried it in a skillet, but if you render some bacon cut in small pieces, then addd the kraut to heat, it is really good over some boiled potatoes.!

Last edited by Cookin Lore on Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

June, 2020 ~ What we're cooking all day long? - Page 9 Sloppy10

bethk likes this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

BUURRRPP!!!

It reminds me of an Andy Griffith show where Barney ate a burger, chili, and fries and more. Andy said: "Barney, that'll lay on your chest"! Looks good to me.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

JanaAZ

NormM wrote:I have always squeezed kraut with my hand and then in a paper towel. Never thought about drying it in a skillet.

Hubby is polish so my friend gave me her bousha’s recipe. I soak it in potato water and drain well. Fry some bacon and onions and add drained sauerkraut to it along with a few smashed up potatoes. It’s really good and it does dry out In the pan, I ferment my own so I make it quite often. Yum

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

The kraut I had at the winery was house made and very good. i have thought about making my own but we really don't eat enough. I have always wondered how long kraut will last in the fridge once a jar or can is opened.

Cookin Lore

I'm sure it lasts several months in the fridge!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:The kraut I had at the winery was house made and very good. i have thought about making my own but we really don't eat enough. I have always wondered how long kraut will last in the fridge once a jar or can is opened.
Have to try that.

NormM

NormM

Once when I was a teenager, Mom and I were visiting my aunt when she made a 5 gallon crock of sauerkraut. We helped her chop it up and she put it in the crock in layers with salt between. It was in the fall on her screened-in back porch. When it was ready, she canned it. It made the best Rueben sandwiches.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

Bugster2

I just found out you can make a small batch in a mason jar. There is a recipe on Kitchn. If you scroll down and wait for the comments to load, there are many helpful tips. Also, someone posted a link to an article on how you are doing your fermentation wrong. I may try a batch but I am firmly convinced that I will poison myself. LOL.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-homemade-sauerkraut-in-a-mason-jar-193124

https://www.foodrenegade.com/3-biggest-fermenting-mistakes-youre-already-making/

Cookin Lore

I tried making it in a very large jar, it went mouldy. I like the stuff in a can or jar, even though I do like to make stuff "From scratch". Gonna make some baked beans today. I love beans and have found out recently that sis and BIL love them too. So, it's worth it to me to make a batch.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I was reading the posts for the recipe. One woman said hers tasted really good but that she got violently ill with food poisoning. OK. I will pass. I will stick with the canned stuff.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:I was reading the posts for the recipe. One woman said hers tasted really good but that she got violently ill with food poisoning. OK. I will pass. I will stick with the canned stuff.

Good choice for you, Bugs.

No sense tempting fate! LOL

cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm thawing a couple of the chicken leg quarters for supper. I think I'll trim them a bit to get rid of the excess backbone & rib bones. Then they'll go on the gas grill because it's too hot to have them cook in the house.

I'm also planning on a Spanish Tortilla ~ a sort of omelette with potatoes, onion, roasted tomatoes & mushrooms. We'll see how well it goes over with 'HIM'......

Cookin Lore

Beans are baking in the oven. 5 cups of dry beans are A LOT OF BEANS once they have been soaked. I found a recipe that looked good to me using maple syrup. Then I didn't have enough maple syrup in the fridge, so it meant a trip to the grocery store. Now, there's no such thing any more of just zipping in the store quickly.............. There's a line-up, gotta wear your face covering, sanitize your hands etc., etc. So, I decided might as well get a few extra groceries...............then I was hungry and some store made sushi called my name, sushi with seafood on it. YUMMY!

My crock pot is too small for this massive amount of beans, so there are two Corning Ware dishes in the oven. Lord, I pray they turn out good, cause I don't want to be throwing them out! I used a recipe from Allrecipes.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was pretty tasty ~ no complaints from 'HIM'.......

June, 2020 ~ What we're cooking all day long? - Page 9 06_27_11

If I make the Spanish Tortilla again I'd leave out the roasted tomatoes ~ the potatoes, onions & mushrooms were plenty and more harmonious in flavors.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Mrs. Swanson cooked supper this saturday.

June, 2020 ~ What we're cooking all day long? - Page 9 Swanso10

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

For snacks and or lunch tomorrow, I made a request from Tina....... Chicken salad from the leftover whole roasted chicken made the other night.
Tina just sampled it, and said "GOooood!"

cookingirl likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby?  .... anyone hear from Michelle?"

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Crybaby?  .... anyone hear from Michelle?"

Yes, Jimmy, I've heard from Michelle. This shutdown, as well as their health issues, have worn them down. She and Brian did celebrate his birthday recently on a rainy day. She sends her best to all of us here. When she's not feeling so worn out she'll be back for sure.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Good to know ! Thanks Beth. Hoping they gain there strength soon.
I guess we all have our bad and good days. 
The Lord says,"For every bad, there is a good!" and "For every good, there is a bad!"
We must learn to live with them, BOTH.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Maybe a redo of the sloppy Joes from the other day.
Tina made a batch of oatmeal raisin cookies already.
Hot and 81 out, the oven didn't help the A/C any.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I used the gas grill as a pizza oven again. And, Debbie, here's a blow-by-blow for you if you want to try. I made my DD#1's pizza dough, let it rise until doubled in an oiled bowl. Then I split it into 2 rounds and put them on a quarter sheet pan, covered with plastic wrap, and into the refrigerator.

When it was time to form the pizzas I spread the dough on a sheet of non-stick foil. It stays tight on the foil (not too sticky, just stays put) and makes it easy to spread out with my fingers. I added some sauce and then some thin sliced mozzarella, toppings of our choice and then a sprinkle of thin shredded mozzarella.

Then they were ready to go to the grill. I preheated a pizza stone at 500° for about 20 minutes or so and then slid the pizza, still on the foil, on to the pizza stone and closed the grill. It only took about 10 minutes or less. Unfortunately, I think 500° might be a bit hot as the bottom was BLACK. But, that's not anything that bothers either of us ~ just a mental note for next time..... Actually, it tasted kind of smokey (see? That's how you put a better spin on a burned pizza!)

When I brought the first pizza into the house I slid it on to a cooling rack so the bottom wouldn't get soggy. I kind of peeled the foil away as I slid it on to the rack.

And then it was time to cut and eat.

June, 2020 ~ What we're cooking all day long? - Page 9 06_28_10

June, 2020 ~ What we're cooking all day long? - Page 9 06_28_11

June, 2020 ~ What we're cooking all day long? - Page 9 06_28_12

June, 2020 ~ What we're cooking all day long? - Page 9 06_28_13

June, 2020 ~ What we're cooking all day long? - Page 9 06_28_14

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Wow Beth.... sauced and cheesed just right. I don't like swimming my toppings in too much sauce. 

Bugster2

Bugster2

I will try the foil trick. I already know how to turn a pizza into a black Frisbee.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I will try the foil trick. I already know how to turn a pizza into a black Frisbee.
June, 2020 ~ What we're cooking all day long? - Page 9 2876911673 June, 2020 ~ What we're cooking all day long? - Page 9 2876911673 June, 2020 ~ What we're cooking all day long? - Page 9 2876911673

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum