Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

June, 2020 ~ What we're cooking all day long?

+3
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 11]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Quick question for anyone.....

Can you use some yeast? I saw it stocked at Wal Mart this week and picked up 3 strips for a friend. Unfortunately, she no longer needs any so I've got all this as extra.

If you can use it, just let me know and I'll be happy to send it off to you ~

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

NormM

NormM

I am fine. I have enough to last past it's expiration date.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I am fine.  I have enough to last past it's expiration date.

Just stash it in the freezer ~ it'll last forever.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Just had a steak. Just nibble nibble to get to the chewable meat. It was a rib eye from the butcher shop. 
I told Tina to buy the tenderloin instead of the rib eye. Less waste. 

bethk

bethk
Admin

I ended up opening a jar of Trader Joe's Organic Marinara yesterday to use as pizza sauce (just added a sprinkle of bottled Italian herbs) so the jar was staring at me when I opened it this morning.

It made me think about chicken parm ~ so supper was decided!

June, 2020 ~ What we're cooking all day long? - Page 10 06_29_11

It's not a 'true' chicken parm ~ I don't bread my chicken cutlets, just season with s&p and brown. Then I add some marinara to the pan and top with sliced mozzarella (again, leftover from pizza night) and a couple minutes under the broiler to melt the cheese.

I made the Trader Joe's angel hair pasta to go with the chicken.

cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

NormM

NormM

bethk wrote:
NormM wrote:I am fine.  I have enough to last past it's expiration date.

Just stash it in the freezer ~ it'll last forever.

I could do that.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I got a 1 lbs yeast online from Walmart ( otherwise I'd love Beth's offer for the yeast ), I had to spend $35 to avoid the shipping fee, so I bought some Bandaids, antibiotic cream and more, stuffs that we need at home.

Today I baked some salami cheese breads for Dirk's lunch, and cream cheese/banana/chocolate filling for me, so good

June, 2020 ~ What we're cooking all day long? - Page 10 Dscn7212
June, 2020 ~ What we're cooking all day long? - Page 10 Dscn7213
June, 2020 ~ What we're cooking all day long? - Page 10 Dscn7215
June, 2020 ~ What we're cooking all day long? - Page 10 Dscn7216

bethk, cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Those look amazing! Great job.

Imelda HL likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Fresh Market FINALLY had their fresh ground chuck on sale for $2.99/lb. I went first thing this morning and picked up 5 - 2# packages. I have 3 - 6 oz. burgers for tonight and 15 wrapped burgers for the freezer as well as a couple packages of 1# for making tacos or marinara.

I'm thinking I should go back and get some more because they don't put it on sale every week like they use to. I've been over a month without having any in the freezer and the packaged ground chuck from the other grocery stores is never as nice nor does it taste fresh.

I hate to be a 'hoarder' but I also hate to not have any to cook......

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Fresh Market FINALLY had their fresh ground chuck on sale for $2.99/lb.  I went first thing this morning and picked up 5 - 2# packages.  I have 3 - 6 oz. burgers for tonight and 15 wrapped burgers for the freezer as well as a couple packages of 1# for making tacos or marinara.

I'm thinking I should go back and get some more because they don't put it on sale every week like they use to.  I've been over a month without having any in the freezer and the packaged ground chuck from the other grocery stores is never as nice nor does it taste fresh.

At Safeway, starting tomorrow they have 85% ground beef (no idea what cut of meat) for $2.97/lbs, they also had it last month, I bought 2 packs, made some burgers and Dirk grilled them

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:
bethk wrote:Fresh Market FINALLY had their fresh ground chuck on sale for $2.99/lb.  I went first thing this morning and picked up 5 - 2# packages.  I have 3 - 6 oz. burgers for tonight and 15 wrapped burgers for the freezer as well as a couple packages of 1# for making tacos or marinara.

I'm thinking I should go back and get some more because they don't put it on sale every week like they use to.  I've been over a month without having any in the freezer and the packaged ground chuck from the other grocery stores is never as nice nor does it taste fresh.

At Safeway, starting tomorrow they have 85% ground beef (no idea what cut of meat) for $2.97/lbs, they also had it last month, I bought 2 packs, made some burgers and Dirk grilled them

My motto is, get, while the gettin is good!

bethk

bethk
Admin

After talking with DD#1, she convinced me to make another trip to Fresh Market for more ground chuck and some chicken breasts, both on sale today for $2.99/lb.

I ended up with exactly 6 pounds of ground beef and that made 16 - 6 oz. patties to freeze.  

Here's how I do it:        (do you get the idea that I have too much time on my hands if I'm taking pics of forming burger patties????  Hahahahahaha!)

First, I cover my kitchen scale with plastic wrap so it doesn't get icky....  Then I portion out 6 oz. balls ready to be formed:

June, 2020 ~ What we're cooking all day long? - Page 10 06_30_10
I use my home-made "quart size yogurt container" burger mold to form perfectly round burgers.  The smooth top of the container makes it easy to smush the meat without hurting your hand.

June, 2020 ~ What we're cooking all day long? - Page 10 06_30_11

The burgers get formed on pieces of plastic wrap so they can all be individually wrapped ~ you can take as many as you need for your meal and it protects them from freezer burn.

June, 2020 ~ What we're cooking all day long? - Page 10 06_30_12

The wrapped burgers go on a quarter sheet pan that easily fits in my freezer shelf to freeze.  After being frozen they will be put into gallon size freezer zip bags for added protection.

June, 2020 ~ What we're cooking all day long? - Page 10 06_30_13

Last edited by bethk on Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

cookingirl, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Great Show & Tell Beth!.... Great Idea using the scale. 

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Great Show & Tell Beth!.... Great Idea using the scale. 

I find the 6 oz. burgers are perfect for us ~ and the quart container I cut 1" off the top makes a burger that fits most hamburger buns just right.

Lately I've been getting the buttery, egg-y brioche buns and toasting them either on the grill or griddled with a bit of butter to give a 'crunch' and stop any soggy bun.

I'm looking forward to burgers for supper ~ but wouldn't you know there are rain clouds starting to blow in from two sides right now. If push comes to shove Dane can always pull the grill around to be below the awning ~ I do NOT like to grill in the rain but I am really counting on a charcoal grilled burger tonight.

I've got some cut up carrots to boil as a side, thinking maybe I'll mix them with some broccoli just to have that pop of color. I can't decided if I want a potato or not.....I've got both white potatoes and sweet potatoes. Maybe some sweet potato planks.....or not. I can't decide.

Cookin Lore

I'm either just grazing these days, or eating out of a can. No ambition to cook. I know I have mentioned before that my sister is not well, and I have cooked sometimes for her and her husband. Well, she fell twice last week, has four broken ribs, is in hospital and will be transferred to hospice tomorrow. Now, it seems that there is a difference between the Canadian and US definition of hospice. For us it is that it is a facility for end of life support Expenses covered by our health Care system, but in a home-like setting. She will be able to take some of her own furniture, can have visitors, but still has total care. I need a good cry.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, dear, Lore.....my heart is breaking for you and your sister, her husband and the rest of the family. It is never easy to come face-to-face with how fragile our lives are. But I'm sure the Hospice in Canada is as compassionate an organization as it is here ~ facing the end of life with as much love and dignity as possible.

I hope your sister is comfortable and able to visit with whom ever she chooses.

My thoughts and prayers will be with you all.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lyn gave me a call a little while ago. She's still struggling with a tough medical time after her hip replacement.....the first week she was progressing as expected, able to walk (with the support of a walker ~ 'just-in-case'). Then, during her second week post-op she had horrible pain in her leg and hasn't been able to put weight on her leg at all. She's in a wheelchair to go from her bed to wherever.

And she looks totally worn out. She's been prescribed new meds, some for pain, some for muscle relaxers, etc. Tomorrow she goes for another CT and a return trip to the doctor, hoping for some resolution. They don't know if it's muscular or nerve damage or what.....

Anyway, back to the phone call ~ ~ her new refrigerator stopped making ice. The 'idiot' light on the door indicated it needed a new water filter. So, she told Bill to go get one and he installed it. Still no ice, or water, and some other warning lights were showing. She asked if Dane & I could come over to troubleshoot since Bill is not known for his mechanical abilities.

On the way over to their house I suggested to Dane if he didn't see any obvious problem with how Bill installed the new water filter that he just un-plug the refrigerator for a minute or so and let it 're-set- itself. That's a trick I learned from Lyn long ago when we worked together and one of us had a problem with our computer. If all else failed, "POWER FAILURE" and turn it back on. Voila! Back to working!

Dane didn't see any problem so he pulled the refrigerator out from the wall (Bill couldn't budge it) and he pulled the plug. We waited 2 minutes and then plugged it back in.

IT WORKS !!!

Amazing how going back to the easiest remedy is usually the one that works. The manual, by the way, was useless. No clue given for what to do if the 'error' codes came on.

I'm just glad we were able to get it back to working without calling for a repairman.

cookingirl, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I cannot believe it's the end of June! For a really crappy year it certainly is flying by.

But at least my 'end of the month' meal was something we were both looking forward to. A fresh burger grilled over hot charcoal ~ ~ YUM !!!

I thought about putting tomato on my sandwich but opted instead for having them as a 'side salad' with a sprinkle of s&p and a tiny bit of sugar, just like my Grandma use to eat them. The broccoli and carrots were as pretty as I planned.

June, 2020 ~ What we're cooking all day long? - Page 10 06_30_14

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:

On the way over to their house I suggested to Dane if he didn't see any obvious problem with how Bill installed the new water filter that he just un-plug the refrigerator for a minute or so and let it 're-set- itself.  That's a trick I learned from Lyn long ago when we worked together and one of us had a problem with our computer.  If all else failed, "POWER FAILURE" and turn it back on.  Voila!  Back to working!

Dane didn't see any problem so he pulled the refrigerator out from the wall (Bill couldn't budge it) and he pulled the plug.  We waited 2 minutes and then plugged it back in.

IT WORKS !!!

Amazing how going back to the easiest remedy is usually the one that works.  The manual, by the way, was useless.  No clue given for what to do if the 'error' codes came on.

I'm just glad we were able to get it back to working without calling for a repairman.

Good to know, I need to remember this trick, so far we did it with our computer, television, never thought doing it with our fridge

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:After talking with DD#1, she convinced me to make another trip to Fresh Market for more ground chuck and some chicken breasts, both on sale today for $2.99/lb.

I ended up with exactly 6 pounds of ground beef and that made 16 - 6 oz. patties to freeze.  

Here's how I do it:        (do you get the idea that I have too much time on my hands if I'm taking pics of forming burger patties????  Hahahahahaha!)

First, I cover my kitchen scale with plastic wrap so it doesn't get icky....  Then I portion out 6 oz. balls ready to be formed:

I use my home-made "quart size yogurt container" burger mold to form perfectly round burgers.  The smooth top of the container makes it easy to smush the meat without hurting your hand.

The burgers get formed on pieces of plastic wrap so they can all be individually wrapped ~ you can take as many as you need for your meal and it protects them from freezer burn.

The wrapped burgers go on a quarter sheet pan that easily fits in my freezer shelf to freeze.  After being frozen they will be put into gallon size freezer zip bags for added protection.

June, 2020 ~ What we're cooking all day long? - Page 10 06_30_13

Thanks for the show Beth, the patties look good

NormM

NormM

Sorry to hear about your sister Lore. I hope Lyn if feeling better soon.

NormM

NormM

I made lasagna tonight.June, 2020 ~ What we're cooking all day long? - Page 10 20200626
June, 2020 ~ What we're cooking all day long? - Page 10 20200625

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:

Good to know, I need to remember this trick, so far we did it with our computer, television, never thought doing it with our fridge

99.9% of our appliances today are controlled by some sort of computer. It makes sense to try to get it to do an automatic re-set to see if it works by fixing itself.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Prayers for your sister Lore. She will feel better in that environment. 

Beth, I hope Lyn is feeling better soon. 
###################################################

Supper was an eggplant casserole Tina made, and plus DD cooked burgers on the grill, and orida French fries in the airfryer. 

cookingirl likes this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am so sorry for your sister Lore. I hope they make her as comfortable as possible.

I have been buying the brioche hamburger and hot dog buns at Walmart. They are so good. I don't want to use anything else.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum