Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb?

+4
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
Cookin Lore
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 19]

Cookin Lore

Making a goulash to take to my sister today.

bethk

bethk
Admin

How do you make your goulash, Lore?

For me, goulash is ground beef, a few vegetables (mainly chopped onion & some orange or red peppers), chopped tomatoes & tomato sauce and seasonings ~ then elbow macaroni is stirred in to soften and absorb much of the juices.

But I grew up in NW Ohio ~ farm country. Goulash was a way to stretch a pound of ground beef to feed a family of six (three hungry boys).

Cookin Lore

In Germany, Gulasch is only onions, garlic (sauteed) and chunks of meat. (water added after meat is browned) Mostly pork, because beef was always very expensive. Never ground meat, and no vegetables added. Thickened a bit, and served over noodles of some kind. Where I lived it was Spaetzle. I like broad egg noodles like fettuccini. Hungarian goulash has added tomatoes in it, and possibly potatoes.

Cookin Lore

In Germany, Gulasch is only onions, garlic (sauteed) and chunks of meat.  (water added after meat is browned) Mostly pork, because beef was always very expensive.  Never ground meat, and no vegetables added. Thickened a bit, and served over noodles of some kind.  Where I lived it was Spaetzle.  I like broad egg noodles like fettuccini.  Hungarian goulash has added tomatoes in it, and possibly potatoes.

P.S. Guess I thought this was worth repeating! LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm trying a new (to me) recipe tonight. Chicken with Spinach, Cream cheese & Mozzarella. If it's any good I'll post the recipe. If not, it'll go into my delete file and I'll tear up my paper copy.....

I'm going to make some Parmesan Cream sauced egg noodles to go with it.

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, so Dane & I agree the recipe is a keeper. I've posted it in the main dishes section.

Spinach Chicken Casserole with Cream Cheese & Mozzarella ~ served with Parmesan Cream Sauced Noodles.

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb? 03_01_11

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb? 03_01_12

bethk

bethk
Admin

I saw a recipe on Yummly for Captain's Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry that sounds interesting.

Only problem is it calls for 1-1/2 T. Scotch Bonnet Papaya Punch Crushed Pepper Sauce

Anyone have any idea of what a substitute might be? I have Harissa, Gochujang and Garlic Chili Paste. But I don't know if the Scotch Bonnet Sauce is worth sourcing out for this one recipe. I'm thinking I'll go with the Garlic Chili Paste (because we like the flavor of that) and maybe add a bit of grated pear or apple to give it a bit of fruity flavor.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The meal looks great Beth!....

We did pizza carry out tonight. We did part 2 of DD's birthday celebration.
Liam helped grandma Sherrie make the cake.

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb? Img_0110

NormM

NormM

Beth, I don't know about Captains Chicken but there is an old classic Southern chicken called Country Captains chicken but it isn't very spicy. Scotch Bonnet is one of the hottest chili peppers there is.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

Bugster2

That condiment sounds absolutely lethal. The trouble with some of these hot sauces it that they are so hot that you can't taste the dish, just the heat.

My mother's goulash was chunks of chuck, green peppers, paprika, sour cream, beef broth all poured over noodles. It was good but I can't eat paprika anymore. She got her recipe from an old BHG cookbook and tweeked it a bit.

I was watching the news and saw that Walmart was very busy with shoppers loading up on supplies just in case they have to stay in place because of the virus. I guess we will do the same. I am not panicked - yet, so I just want a few things and shelf stable items just in case.

I made tacos last night. Joe ate 4 and got sick. He has got to go to the gastro to see if he has another stricture in his gut, sort of like what Tina gets.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Good Lord! The ignorance of some people! I was watching the news where a poll was taken from 700 people asking whether or not they would stop buying Corona beer. 38% of the respondents said they would not buy the beer due to fears of catching the virus. They actually believe the beer has the virus!

Cookin Lore

Bugster2 wrote:Good Lord! The ignorance of some people! I was watching the news where a poll was taken from 700 people asking whether or not they would stop buying Corona beer. 38% of the respondents said they would not buy the beer due to fears of catching the virus. They actually believe the beer has the virus!

This reminds me of quote of Albert Einstein which basically said "I believe in the infinity of two things. Infinity of space and that of the stupidity of humans". LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane drinks Corona Light.....

He figures he might get a little sick but isn't too worried at this point.

LOL

Cookin Lore

I have some Corona in my fridge. I feel great! LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'll drink to that!

Hahahahahahahaha!

Bugster2

Bugster2

If things get bad with this virus, are any of you going to stock up on supplies and try to stay at home?

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:If things get bad with this virus, are any of you going to stock up on supplies and try to stay at home?
Haa Haa Haa!

Right now...."Tina's Market"....can keep us fed for at least a year.

NormM

NormM

I hear the Corona is thinking of changing their name to Ebola.

Bugster2

Bugster2

LOL!

Cookin Lore

Statistically our seasonal flu in North America kills over 80,000 per year. I don't think this is any worse than regular flu. If we look at the statistics of this particular one (and I am no doctor or scientist) it is again older people and those with compromised immune systems that are at biggest risk. I am not concerned.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Remember the hype around the "Bird Flu" ~ I knew people who were researching underground shelters to keep their families from breathing bad air.

The Captain's Chicken & Broccoli Stir-Fry was pretty tasty, even with my necessary substitutions. I'm sure it tasted nothing like intended but was spicy and flavorful all the same. I made Trader Joe's Basmati rice to go with it ~ really nice, fluffy rice. I don't understand why the brown basmati doesn't cook up as nice as the white.....it just kind of breaks apart on me.

But this was a stir fry with a small amount of cubed chicken (my choice to use less than called for), a really strong & spicy sauce and the broccoli & carrots were steamed until tender and then stirred in just at the last moment to coat in the tiny bit of sauce.

Sprinkled with toasted sliced almonds at the end......

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb? 03_02_11

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb? 03_02_12

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tasty looking Beth!...

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks, Jimmy ~ spicy!  But not a lingering heat.  There was enough sweet to counteract the real heat.

I posted the recipe for anyone who's interested.

NormM

NormM

Beth, that chicken does look good. Do you know if that recipe is Caribbean?  I think that sauce is from Jamaica or Trinidad.  Speaking of Jamaica and Corona, Charlie was going to take a vacation to Jamaica but (I think) he is reconsidering it since the virus has broken out.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Probably a wise decision. I don't know how prepared they are for an outbreak.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 19]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum