Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb?

+4
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
Cookin Lore
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19

Go down  Message [Page 19 of 19]

Bugster2

Bugster2

I think I saw that. Was it the one who was mad that the virus got more attention than her YouTube Video? She also thought it was "their problem" if someone died because of her actions. She also flew down to FLA in her sugar daddy's private jet. She is a tramp. She is graduating from Rutgers and doesn't care about not having a ceremony because "It was like, you know, I never went to class anyway". How did she get into the school in the first place? Another college cheat? I don't think she could spell Rutgers.

Cookin Lore

Yes, that's the one. I'm afraid that I have become a Dr. Phil Junkie. HOwever, there are so many times when I see one of his programs I ask myself "What did we do right to deserve the children that we have???"

Bugster2

Bugster2

Dr. Phil had one on the other day that was a trust fund baby. She got $200,000 a month. One of the most worthless individuals I have ever seen. She was a female misogynist to the max. It reminded me of a quote I read somewhere:

Give them enough to do something, but not so much that they do nothing.

Cookin Lore

When Warren Buffet was interviewed somewhere regarding that he gave 30 billion to the Gates foundation, the topic came around to his children. And that's basically what he said too. However he said that he has given them a billion each! They were going to have to manage to live on that. I think they'll do well too!

Cookin Lore

Bugster2 wrote:Dr. Phil had one on the other day that was a trust fund baby. She got $200,000 a month. One of the most worthless individuals I have ever seen. She was a female misogynist to the max. It reminded me of a quote I read somewhere:

Give them enough to do something, but not so much that they do nothing.

Yes, but she was so proud of saying that she has a 2 million trust fund. When Dr. Phil questioned the math of getting $200,000/month out of a 2 million trust fund, and that it would be empty in a year, she didn't understand the math. I did wonder at that point if in her case, perhaps the elevator doesn't go all the way to the top.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a small organic chicken ~ really quite small, about the size of a $4.50 rotisserie chicken ~ and decided to spachcock it and just season it with s&p and put on a roasting pan on the gas grill. And about 15 minutes before it was done I noticed the temperature kept dropping on the grill.....out of gas. Actually, since we had another full tank it was no big deal and it's nice to know it's now all set for the next time I want to use it.

When I cook a whole chicken on the grill I like to use the grill as an oven and let all the fat melt off in a shallow pan. Then, just before I take it off I let it get a little crisp of the skin on the hot grates. It keeps the grill from getting all messy and there aren't any huge fires going from the chicken fat.

I made some green beans and sauteed summer squash to go with it.

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb? - Page 19 03_30_14

NormM

NormM

We had chicken too. Charlie suggested legs or thighs on the grill and mac and cheese and some kind of vegetable. He left that up to me. I used poultry BBQ seasoning on the chicken and near the end, brushed it with apple BBQ sauce.

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb? - Page 19 20200325

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

NormM

NormM

Jetfan may know the answer to this, maybe someone else here knows. I just made rye bread with some, not all rye flour and it tastes decidedly different from store bought rye and pumpernickle bread. My taste buds are not as keen as they once were, but I suspect there isn'e any rye flour in either of those breads.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I /We had a braised chuck roast and cabbage fried with noodles.
March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb? - Page 19 Img_1811

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb? - Page 19 Img_1812

Bugster2

Bugster2

Just a salad and baked potato for us. Joe and Katie want me to make another chocolate cake for them. They polished off the key lime pie. I snatched the last piece of chocolate cake out of the freezer and put it in the fridge to defrost. I came down a few hours later and found Joe had eaten most of it.
My sister won't being going to her son's med school graduation in Florida. It seems that it has been canceled. It is just as well because my sister has RA and is on immunosuppresant drugs. She lives up in the bay area and said that in the hospital near her there are only 3 patients in the ICU with the virus. That is good. I hope her husband doesn't bring it home to her. He is an MD and is always at the hospital delivering babies.

Cookin Lore

I took a small steak out of my freezer to do on my grill, and then my neighbour called............"I'm making scalloped potatoes, would you like some???" So, that's my dinner. She said she'll make up a separate small dish for me. YUMM!

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's fun to share meals. I love to cook extra to pass on to someone who might enjoy a different take on a meal they might make, or even that they don't usually cook anything. Enjoy!

I used the leftover chicken breast that I grilled last night to make chicken enchiladas ~ improvising on some ingredients I didn't have with something similar that I DID have in the refrigerator or pantry.

These are the toppings I have ready to spoon over our chicken enchiladas ~ lettuce, tomato, crema (sour cream & green chile salsa), onion, avocado and black olives.

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb? - Page 19 03_31_10

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina's making shepherds pie. For H E R. Alone.....

I'll stick with the soup.

bethk

bethk
Admin

The chicken enchiladas were really tasty ~ glad I was able to 'morph' last night's grilled chicken into something completely different.

And, YES, we like them made with flour tortillas. Neither of us care for the corn tortillas. To each their own.

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb? - Page 19 03_31_11

JanaAZ

Bugster2 wrote:
Crybaby wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:I made that pane bianco bread today. I won't be making it again. The dough was too sticky even after adding more flour than the recipe called for. It took 2.5 hours to double in size instead of the 40 to 60 minutes it said in the recipe. When it was baked, none of us was impressed.

You know, it's funny, Debbie, as when you said you were making it, I had a suspicion you wouldn't like it or it wouldn't come out right as we rarely like the same things, even grocery products. But I did go back to KA's recipe to read the reviews to see if anyone didn't like it or had a rising problem. Number one, did you take a picture? If I made that gorgeous bread, I'm taking a picture to show you guys!

You might want to look over KA'a blog -- they call it a bakealong -- about this bread, as it has pictures of each stage of the bread making. When I looked over the blog, I realized that it really wasn't a difficult loaf to make.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2016/08/08/pane-bianco-bakealong

You might see if you ran into a problem somewhere. Do you think you could have mismeasured or something? I only ask as there were so many wonderful reviews.

I know from my limited bread making that breads with a lot of cheese in them are always softer doughs and not only take more time to rise but often never rise as much even after baking that breads without cheese do. Sorry you guys didn’t like the flavor but given the number of reviews of how good it tastes, I’m wondering if you might have done something wrong. Do you weigh your flour or scoop it? Though I've had a nifty scale I've used for about 30 years that will tare, I just ordered a new scale a couple days ago so I could weigh ingredients when baking; I should have it by Wednesday, I think.

One lady said it didn’t rise enough after she shaped it and this is KA’s response: “We'll need more information from you to deduce the cause of this (kind of yeast, kind of flour and measuring technique, kneading technique, how long the dough was left to rise the first time, temperature of rising environment, etc.). We encourage you to give our Baker's Hotline a call at 855-371-BAKE(2253) so we can gather this information from you and come up with some tips to try. Kye@KAF.”

You’ll laugh but I just finished reading every single posted review – yes, all 234 and all 47 pages of them! – to see if anyone had trouble with the bread rising or thought it had a bad flavor. There were about 10 reviews with people saying they found the flavor bland, but there were five or six reviewers who added some things to jack up the flavor when they made the bread a second time. But then they must’ve liked it to make it again! Here’s the review from the woman who thought the flavor was lacking: “My only complaint was the taste. It lacked something but I honestly can't say what it was. My normal bread baking requires a biga which adds more flavor so maybe that was the problem for me. My husband loved it however and it disappeared fast.” She did however plan on making it again and try some different fillings.

The closest I found to someone having trouble with the dough when they made it was this review: “I loved this bread. This was my very first experience making bread....like ever! I have a few questions as I really do not know if I did things right. I used a stand mixer to mix ingredients. The dough was sticking to the bottom as recipe said it should. I put it in a greased bowl and let it rise, but it didnt double in size even after almost two hours. I then rolled it out into a rectangle added the tomatoes, garlic and basil but only did half of what was recommended as the dish i am serving it with is quite flavorful already. (forgot the cheese so i just sprinkled a little on top). While I almost got the s shape with the bread it was no where near as nice looking because it was SO sticky every-time I tried to adjust things got worse so i let well enough alone. Are there tips here or is there a reason my dough was so sticky? I then let it rise again but again it definitely didn't double in size. So I wung it and through it in the oven anyway. It came out perfectly delicious. But I want big puffy bread like the picture.”

Here's KA’s answer: “Nicole, it's important to use King Arthur Bread Flour in this recipe, as other brands or other kinds of flour don't have as high of a protein content. This means they won't be quite as absorbent and the dough will the more difficult to handle. If you're already using this flour, feel free to add extra flour, a few tablespoons at a time until you achieve the right consistency (which is a soft, slightly tacky dough). Happy baking! Kye@KAF.”

Did you use bread flour or all-purpose flour, Debbie? I see where one reviewer said she used all-purpose flour without reducing the water to 1/4 cup as recommended, but that it came out great anyway. Here’s her review: “As did many other reviewers, I required additional proofing time on the first rise; however, my house isn't that warm so that may have affected it. I did the second rise in a warmed and turned off oven and that was perfect. I also added an egg wash right before baking as others did, and I added about 1/3 cup of chopped prosciutto. It was a huge hit and very easy. Thank you for another great recipe.”  

I'm also wondering about your yeast. I know you were shopping for some so I hope it wasn't expired or bad. Did you test your yeast first?

Again, so sorry your group didn't like it.  What a Face  I'm still going to make it but I might add or substitute some things, like Kalamata olives and some roasted garlic now that I've read all those reviews and gotten lots of good ideas from people who've made this several times. I'm definitely going to take a picture, too, regardless of how it looks, good or bad!  silent  tongue  I keep running out of steam around here but I am really hoping to make this bread and see how we like it!

I weighed my flour and all of my liquid measurements were spot on. I did use Gold Medal bread flour. My yeast is suspect. I used SAF instant yeast. The expiration is 12/20. I did a yeast test on it and it took 20 minutes to bloom. Too long, so I think that was part of the problem. I also found the dough to be too wet. I ended up adding about an extra 1/2 cup of flour and it was still too sticky. Perhaps my scale is off, IDK. The problem I had was trying to move that snake. I should have patted it out on a piece of parchment and moved the paper instead of moving the dough on the paper.
I liked the flavor - it was mild. What I didn't like was the texture. It was hard to describe, sort of half bread and half cake.

keep in mind that for baking....all baking....flour measurements are never exact even though we would expect them to be. weighing them helps, but there are so many variables. I find that after I've made a recipe a few times, I can tell by the feel if its right. Different bags of the same brand of flour can differ too. Humidity affects it...so many things can.

If your kitchen was on the cooler side that could impact rising too. I made the no knead bread the other day. Usually it rises beautifully here, but this last time it took forever, and never rose to its full potential. My house was 69 degrees. Its usually much warmer.

you're right about moving dough to parchment paper. I always manipulate the dough on parchment paper, then move the whole thing to the cooking pan or tray.

don't give up.

NormM

NormM

I post my dinner meals here, on facebook and a place called egullet.  They have a lot of people there that think bread recipes MUST be measured on a scale. When I tell them a recipe that I used, someone always translates the flour into grams or fractions of an ounce.  No one seems to understand that a set number for grams in a cup of flour not will give exact results because the kind of flour and conditions and other factors. A gram of high gluten flour makes a dough with a different amount of liquid than a medium gluten flour and you can't always tell how much gluten is in a bag of flour because the brand will often round off the amount so it looks like they are the same.  You make bread better with experience and knowing when it looks and feels right.

Last edited by NormM on Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am not a novice when it comes to breadmaking nor am I an expert. I loved the filling, I didn't like the texture. Usually it takes me one try on a new recipe to find out where the problems are and the next loaf turns out better. This recipe reminded me of another similar one that is filled with diced marinated artichokes, garlic, parmesan and mozzarella. I think I will use that bread recipe and fill it with the tomatoes, cheese, garlic and basil and see what I think.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 19 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum