Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb?

+4
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
Cookin Lore
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 19]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made a shepherds pie. Soup ( beef with tiny meatballs from yesterday ) and breaded veal cutlets.
Mashed potatoes would be great with gravy. Or butter lava.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yeah, I wasn't upset when that was Jim's answer when offered 'oven roasted' or 'mashed' as his choice. He has no choice when it comes to the onion slices that are on top of the beef or with the carrots that will cook in the juices on the sides of the beef.

I'm hoping this is one of the 'fall-apart-tender' chuck roasts and not a 'shoe-leather-chewy' kind that really ruins the meal for me. Only time will tell.....

Bugster2

Bugster2

Last night it was egg salad sandwiches. Tonight? IDK. I just finished packing 10lbs of food into a 5lb cupboard. It was the extras I bought a couple of weeks ago.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made egg salad sandwiches for lunch today. Well, actually, it was just for me. After I got it made HE decided he wanted the leftover lasagna. ((sigh))

The pot roast was excellent ~ and the mashed potatoes with gravy really hit the 'spot'!

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb? - Page 10 03_19_11

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I made egg salad sandwiches for lunch today.  Well, actually, it was just for me.  After I got it made HE decided he wanted the leftover lasagna.  ((sigh))

The pot roast was excellent ~ and the mashed potatoes with gravy really hit the 'spot'!

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb? - Page 10 03_19_11

It surely does look and sound good!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Last night it was egg salad sandwiches. Tonight? IDK. I just finished packing 10lbs of food into a 5lb cupboard. It was the extras I bought a couple of weeks ago.

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb? - Page 10 2876911673

Try taking out one package out of a overstuffed 20 Lb. cupboard, and have 15 lbs. fall on the floor. Just happened to Tina.

I laughed, and it was a big mistake. Now she is in a nasty mood.
March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb? - Page 10 2876911673

Bugster2

Bugster2

They call that a blivet. My linen closet and freezer are like that.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am going to Walmart this morning. I don't want to go but there are things we need. The governor has effectively shut down most retail and restaurants and we are under manditory orders to stay home. I don't like it but neither do I want to get sick. We now have 22 cases and 3 deaths in our county. The cases seem to double every 5 days. I was hoping to use home delivery for food but everyone seems to have shut down until they restock and hire more people. People were lined up at Costco at 4AM. They are limiting the number of people they allow in.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane went with me to WalMart this morning. The hour from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. is reserved for those over 65. That certainly kept the crowds down. Didn't stop the crazy woman who was angry that there wasn't any toilet paper. I felt sorry for her husband as he was trying to get her to quiet down and just get the rest of their groceries out of there.

We got what we needed, nothing that wasn't on my list. I have to make some chicken stock as Joann next door still has pneumonia and is on her second round of antibiotics. At least her doc just told her to get a chest x-ray and he would view it to confirm if she needs anything more. She's resting and, for once, is taking the doc's advice and staying home. She's my 'professional shopper' neighbor ~ always wanting to go buy, buy, buy.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I found out that Walmart is giving seniors 6AM to 7AM on Tuesdays for seniors. I got there before it opened today and the line was wrapped all the way around to the back of the store. I froze my backside off waiting. Then they only let in 10 at a time, stopped, the a few minutes later, another 10. The shelves that weere bare were canned goods, pasta, canned fruit, and some frozen foods. I was able grab a couple packs of ground chuck. Still can't get any bacon. I want applewood.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina is whooped! She baked an 8 inch round chocolate cake early this morning.
Iced it with white buttercream icing.

I'm guessing.... OOops! I guessed wrong. No beef soup. Friday no meat day for us.

Had scrambled eggs and wheat toast with cheese for lunch.
I can go for a sliced HB egg sandwich, with mayo on wheat light toast for supper.
BTW.....DD's salon closed pending further notice. She signed up online for unemployment insurance for now.

Cookin Lore

Bugster2 wrote:I found out that Walmart is giving seniors 6AM to 7AM on Tuesdays for seniors. I got there before it opened today and the line was wrapped all the way around to the back of the store. I froze my backside off waiting. Then they only let in 10 at a time, stopped, the a few minutes later, another 10. The shelves that weere bare were canned goods, pasta, canned fruit, and some frozen foods. I was able grab a couple packs of ground chuck. Still can't get any bacon. I want applewood.

The shelves are that empty that people are lining up at Walmart at 6 A.M????? OH, my goodness.  I thought the fact that toilet paper was in short supply was bad.  No food shelves empty here.  Ok, some pasta was in short supply here, but that's it. I took out some jumbo shrimp (raw) to make on my grill for dinner tonight. Will do a vegetable stir fry to go along with them.

bethk

bethk
Admin

A lot of the shelves were empty or sparse here, too. We were looking for Dane's 40-calorie/slice bread and the young man filling the empty shelves said the bakery is only making white & wheat in a way to streamline production so the shelves stay stocked. Nice to know adjustments have been made to meet demand, even if it's for those who are buying too much at once. Dane certainly won't die if he has to eat 50 or 60 calorie/slice bread. LOL

They had a list in the paper today of all the stores that have dedicated the first open hour for seniors. Since they stock at night (all are closed from 8pm or 9pm until 8 am for stocking and cleaning, including all the carts), it's nice that seniors have a chance to get what they need before the shelves are emptied again. One man was quoted as having to go to 3 different stores to buy eggs. They were available where I was but I'm sure there are temporary shortages in some stores.

Fresh meat is in short supply, the stores are limiting packages of chicken, ground beef, etc. to two per customer. I was still able to get anything I had on my list......on sale chicken thighs to make the stock was my only meat item.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I saw on the news that a Costco in L.A. had people lined up around the perimeter of the store at 4AM.

I have been waiting for a package from China. It came today and I sprayed the inside of my mailbox, my mail and package and the contents of the package with Lysol. I then sprayed the front door handle and washed my hands twice. You can't be too careful.

Cookin Lore

I don't understand hoarding in our two countries.  The factories are not bombed out,  supply lines via rail or truck are not stopped.  This is not World War 3!  Get a grip, people, if you're running low on toilet paper, use some water and a washcloth and wash the thing! P.S. Wash the cloth, I mean! LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

Braised pork, baked sweet potato & Penzey seasoned green beans ~ that's what was for supper tonight!

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb? - Page 10 03_20_11

Bugster2

Bugster2

Cookin Lore wrote:I don't understand hoarding in our two countries.  The factories are not bombed out,  supply lines via rail or truck are not stopped.  This is not World War 3!  Get a grip, people, if you're running low on toilet paper, use some water and a washcloth and wash the thing! P.S. Wash the cloth, I mean! LOL

That is what I told the people in line with me. As long as I have soap and water, I am fine. I told people to buy a stack of cheap, different color wash cloths. Each family member has their own color. Use them if you have to and wash them. When this is all over - toss em. Some people suggested baby wipes but maybe you can't get them. Some younf woman on the news was crying because she couldn't get diapers for her baby. People stepped up and she got a supply. You could go to cloth diapers like our mothers used, if they still make them. It would be unpleasant to was them, but it is better than nothing.

NormM

NormM

I went to the closest store and did some shopping. I would never drive out of my way to go there but that is where usually go when I have a short list and because it's less than a mile away. They have been out of toilet paper every time I go in. I heard a clerk tell a shopper that they got some in last night and they were gone an hour later. Who knows whether it is hoarders or people who think they can make money reselling them. Then I went to another store to get some things I couldn't get and they were pretty well stocked in everything, no one was upset and they had limits on how many of some things you could get. One pack of toilet paper per person. I like to be stocked up on some staples and have enough toilet paper to last a long time and got it all two months ago, but I appreciate a store that has some understanding of how to make sure people can get what they need.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

Bugster2

Walmart had a limit on eggs and milk - only one. I really appreciate the senior hours. I haven't used them yet, but I am sure I will.

Cookin Lore

I am OK for food etc. for at least three weeks.  I bought some canned vegetables and fruit, so I'll have to make do without fresh kale! LOL LOL!   Making potato salad today, will give some to a neighbour.

Last edited by Cookin Lore on Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

bethk

bethk
Admin

My noodle soup got finished and cooled in a sinkfull of ice water. Then it got packaged up into quart containers. Two went to Joann & Tommy next door and the other one will either get passed to someone else or we'll have it for lunch one of these days.

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb? - Page 10 03_21_10

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb? - Page 10 03_21_11

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:I am OK for food etc. for at least three weeks.  I bought some canned vegetables and fruit, so I'll have to make do without fresh cale! LOL LOL!   Making potato salad today, will give some to a neighbour.

But if you went out for fresh kale it would last at least a month and still be fresh......

hahahahahaha!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane should be happy ~ that is, IF my chicken pot pie tastes good. We'll see after it bakes.....

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb? - Page 10 03_21_12

bethk

bethk
Admin

Just to pass the time I just went back and read some of the posts from March, 2019.

Can it really be that Cyn moved into her lovely 'villa by the sea' just a year ago??? I would love to have a view of the ocean ~ or any water, for that matter. The best I can do is sit in my courtyard and listen to my fountain (when we remember to add water so the pump doesn't stop......).

bethk

bethk
Admin

My pot pie rested for only about 20 minutes and I was afraid it would run out when cut ~ but Dane said it wasn't tired any more and didn't need to rest any longer.  Maybe he was hungry???  I hoped I could slice it and have it serve as nicely as Norm's did ~ so I think now that Norm was my 'Lucky Friend' and I had nice servings.  

I'm really impressed I was able to make a pie crust from scratch and have it not fall apart or be so thick it was like cutting cardboard.  I had to make it stretch a bit (I've lost the touch to know just how much flour, etc. to mix) but I did grate some butter and also some Crisco so I was lucky to get the right 'mix' for a flaky crust.  I started it baking on the lowest rack at 450° to get the bottom crust to set and after 20 minutes I dropped the temperature to 350° for the final 40 minutes.  Dane hates when I just put a top crust on ~ it's not a real 'pie' to him.

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb? - Page 10 03_21_13

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb? - Page 10 03_21_14

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum