Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb?

+4
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
Cookin Lore
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 19]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was a hot dog no bread / bun; then a pickle pimento lunch meat sandwich on a single slice of wonder bread. A cookie filled with ricotta cheese and iced with buttercream icing. Way too sweet.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I don't like her. I think she is rude and loud but there was nothing else on at the time and it was an interesting story. Most of the time the people on the show are low-life trash (yes, I am a snob) types. They don't think like you and me. One time a teen took her aunt's car without her permission. The car was not insured. The teen wrecked the car and she didn't think she should have to pay for it because the aunt should have had it insured.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've got one of my marinated London Broil Steaks thawed and warming on the counter before cooking over the hardwood charcoal tonight. I love having those steaks all ready to go with the marinade flavoring the steak.

I'll do some baked potatoes (finished on the hot grill) and I cut some Swiss chard to steam. I'm debating on whether or not I want a small salad to go with it......Dane didn't have a salad for his lunch so I'm thinking I probably will. I'm sure I've got some dressing in the refrigerator that just needs to sit out to take the chill off and shake up a bit.

Cookin Lore

I have a single duck leg in my freezer.  Gonna try making that tonight.  Wish me luck!

P.S. on edit. Duck leg is in the oven, Hasselback potato ready to go in shortly. Tomato/onion salad ready also.

Last edited by Cookin Lore on Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:I've got one of my marinated London Broil Steaks thawed and warming on the counter before cooking over the hardwood charcoal tonight.  I love having those steaks all ready to go with the marinade flavoring the steak.

I'll do some baked potatoes (finished on the hot grill) and I cut some Swiss chard to steam.  I'm debating on whether or not I want a small salad to go with it......Dane didn't have a salad for his lunch so I'm thinking I probably will.  I'm sure I've got some dressing in the refrigerator that just needs to sit out to take the chill off and shake up a bit.

OOOOOOhhhh I am so envious!  I love my condo living, but 39 years on the farm and a firepit, there just is nothing like a real fire for a steak!  Have a great dinner!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:
bethk wrote:I've got one of my marinated London Broil Steaks thawed and warming on the counter before cooking over the hardwood charcoal tonight.  I love having those steaks all ready to go with the marinade flavoring the steak.

I'll do some baked potatoes (finished on the hot grill) and I cut some Swiss chard to steam.  I'm debating on whether or not I want a small salad to go with it......Dane didn't have a salad for his lunch so I'm thinking I probably will.  I'm sure I've got some dressing in the refrigerator that just needs to sit out to take the chill off and shake up a bit.

OOOOOOhhhh I am so envious!  I love my condo living, but 39 years on the farm and a firepit, there just is nothing like a real fire for a steak!  Have a great dinner!

Thanks, Lore ~ you would have loved it! It's funny, but I bought a new charcoal grill when it went on sale last summer and Dane set it up (it came in a box with picture instructions......). It's the kind of grill with a huge cooking surface and the charcoal grate can be raised or lowered to give you better heat distribution. I washed and oiled the cast iron grates and even bought a new 'grill cover' for the thing so it would be somewhat out of the weather.

We have yet to use it. We're still using our old Charbroil gas grill turned charcoal.....I mean, what's the need to get out a new grill for one little steak and a couple potatoes when you've got a perfectly good 'hobbled-together' charcoal grill that works just fine?

One of these days we're going to invite a bunch of people over for a burger fest and that's when the new grill will be put to it's first test.

Supper was really good. The steak is one that we never tire of.

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb? - Page 3 03_06_11

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:

Thanks, Lore ~ you would have loved it!  It's funny, but I bought a new charcoal grill when it went on sale last summer and Dane set it up (it came in a box with picture instructions......).  It's the kind of grill with a huge cooking surface and the charcoal grate can be raised or lowered to give you better heat distribution.  I washed and oiled the cast iron grates and even bought a new 'grill cover' for the thing so it would be somewhat out of the weather.  

We have yet to use it.  We're still using our old Charbroil gas grill turned charcoal.....I mean, what's the need to get out a new grill for one little steak and a couple potatoes when you've got a perfectly good 'hobbled-together' charcoal grill that works just fine?  

One of these days we're going to invite a bunch of people over for a burger fest and that's when the new grill will be put to it's first test.

Supper was really good.  The steak is one that we never tire of.

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb? - Page 3 03_06_11

The broil even looks tender Beth. Nice cut of beef too!
Just a note: Remember when there is a sale on London broil in a market that still has butchers, Look to buy ground beef for burgers; because they use the trimmings from the London Broils for mixing into the ground beef.

As far as charcoal. I like foods cooked on that. Providing the charcoal doesn't have that lighter fuel built in the coal.
I remember when Dad would cook on the grill. He would soak the charcoal with Kerosene. Haaaa. Sometimes the hamburgers would smell and taste like Kero.

I never remembered seeing those starter chimney's for the coals.
I remember a grill that dad bought at Sears Roebuck. It had a knob that you turned to raise or lower the grill; depending on the food being cooked.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Todays Cod and Steam in bag rice.
The whole bag is 400 calories. Not bad, and probably because it was a low carb rice..??
I ate two fish portions. Tina didn't like it because it was in the freezer a week.
She did buy it fresh on ice from the fish monger. We portioned it, and froze it.
She said it was too rubbery. (( Check out the Xmas paper Plate ))
March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb? - Page 3 Img_1729

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

As far as charcoal. I like foods cooked on that. Providing the charcoal doesn't have that lighter fuel built in the coal.
I remember when Dad would cook on the grill. He would soak the charcoal with Kerosene. Haaaa. Sometimes the hamburgers would smell and taste like Kero.

I never remembered seeing those starter chimney's for the coals.
I remember a grill that dad bought at Sears Roebuck. It had a knob that you turned to raise or lower the grill; depending on the food being cooked.  [/size]

Jimmy, we use lump hardwood charcoal, not charcoal briquettes. It's just random sized pieces of wood that's been burned down to turn it into charcoal. It doesn't have any additions. We do use a chimney starter but instead of using newspaper crumpled in the bottom Dane uses his garage torch to get the burn started. It takes about 10 minutes to get it all going and ready to dump and start cooking.

NormM

NormM

Did you know that Henry Ford invented charcoal briquettes? In the early days, cars used a lot of wood.  The frame and wheels were wood as was the steering wheel and running board.  He asked a real estate agent to find him a tract of land with lots of timber.  The agent was the husband or a relative.  He got the land and built a saw mill on the property and milled all the wood for his cars there.  He noticed a huge pile of sawdust building up and asked a scientist at a local university to figure out some use for it.  The guy combined (I think) baking soda and pine tar and compressed it into a portable light weight source of fuel.  Ford's friend Thomas Edison designed a factory to mass produce them and Ford built the charcoal factory next to the saw mill.  He put the real estate agent -Mr. Kingsford- in as manager.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

NormM

NormM

Franklin BBQ in Texas burns wood outside of his smokers and as soon as they stop smoking and have turned into embers, the charcoal gets shoveled into the firebox.

Cookin Lore

The things you can learn on a cooking site! Thanks for posting. I love trivia!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Very interesting Norm.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I also heard that years ago when I chaperoned the girls' class on a trip to the Ford Museum in Michigan.  Funny how that information sticks in the recesses of your mind until it's appropriate to bring it up.  

Must mean your mind is in fine shape, Norm!

Today was the neighborhood Ladies' Luncheon ~ went to the Chop House (first time for our group ~ I've been there before with others).  There are a few of the ladies who want the wait staff to rearrange tables to accommodate everyone at the same table.  Since Jeanie & I are hosting, WE decided to make it easier on the staff and seat everyone in our group at tables for 4.  We ended up with 6 tables.  And everyone had a wonderful time, had a chance to visit without yelling.  The meals were excellent and we didn't hear one complaint.  (Yea for US!)

Here are pics of what our table chose:

Pork & Fig Sandwich w/fries ~ pork tenderloin medallians lightly seared with an onion/fig jam on a 'Branded' brioche bun.

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb? - Page 3 03_07_10

Mandarin Salad with Won Ton Crisps:

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb? - Page 3 03_07_16

Spinach Salad w/Roasted Mushrooms:

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb? - Page 3 03_07_17

Chicken Avocado Wrap w/Half-Sour Pickle

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb? - Page 3 03_07_13

Creme Brulee w/4 spoons:

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb? - Page 3 03_07_18

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks for the inspiration to go to the fish market, Jimmy. Dane was happy.

He had salmon & I had panko crusted grouper ~ cooked on a grill mat on the gas grill. No muss / no fuss ~ easy peasy! Just had some boiled potatoes & carrots to go with our fish.

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb? - Page 3 03_07_19

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb? - Page 3 03_07_20

Bugster2

Bugster2

They have just shut down a high school in the city next door. 71 students quarantined until a teacher get the results of the coronavirus test. The person is ill and was in italy resently. Great.

NormM

NormM

I just got word that the first case of corona Virus has been found in Kansas, it this county.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Aren't you just thrilled?

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had a hot dog for lunch with baked beans from the church soup kitchen.
I still have a hot dog from the butcher shoppe for supper.
I just turned the clocks ahead. Nice! DST They should just keep it that time, and don't change it in the fall.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I figured it out. They keep saying wash your hands, and don't touch your face. S0???? How do I take care of my face?? I hold my breath, close my eyes, and
spray my face with Lysol spray disinfectant. It burns a teeny bit, but then it goes away. Then I spray my clothes, and top of my head.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I am ready!

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb? - Page 3 Img_1730

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am firmly convinced that if I catch it, I will die. Too many health issues to fight it off.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I am firmly convinced that if I catch it, I will die. Too many health issues to fight it off.

I'll be up $h!ts creek without a paddle. Mad
The only good thing, is I have an oxygen machine. Also, two portable machines that make oxygen. A machine that ventilates my lungs with medicine too.

I'm on O2.... 24 / 7 now with my COPD No

Bugster2

Bugster2

Oh crud!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I decided to make soft tacos for supper. I've got 3 ground beef patties thawing to fry up and season. I've cut some grape tomatoes, half an onion & shredded some lettuce. I'll add a bit of sour cream for me and warm flour tortillas in the microwave (wrapped in damp paper towels) at supper time.

If I want guacamole I'll have to make a store run (all of 5 minutes away) for some ripe avocados and fresh tortilla chips. Nothing worse than stale tortilla chips ~ even trying to freshen in a warm oven doesn't work. They always taste 'off' to me.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum