Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen???

+5
cookingirl
Bugster2
Niagara Visitor
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 10]

Niagara Visitor

If you had the Cipro left over from 5 years ago, my question is, why didn't you take them all when the dentist ordered them? All the pills of an antibiotic have to be taken to be effective. Stopping before the whole course is finished just gives bugs a chance to become drug resistant.

Hope the sore throat is better. Drink tea with honey to soothe it!

bethk

bethk
Admin

How's Ms. Tina feeling? Was she able to get some relief from the coughing spells?

bethk

bethk
Admin

I won't be cooking supper tonight. We're having a neighborhood patio party / potluck get-together this afternoon. I made a strawberry / yogurt / cream cheese 'thingy' to spoon into little chocolate cups (store bought, don't you know....).

But in case Dane gets hungry I did make a bowl of tuna salad, my way. It's got lots of celery, hard cooked eggs, Miracle Whip and Tennessee Sunshine hot sauce. I had a plate for lunch.

March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen??? - Page 4 03_13_10

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's an absolutely lovely day. Lots of sunshine, temperatures in the mid 70's and a breeze blowing.

I threw the throw rugs from the bathroom in the washer...vacuumed the tile and base boards and have the rugs hanging over patio chairs out in the courtyard to dry. I still miss my clotheslines I used all the time at the Ohio house. But we aren't allowed to have one here so I make do with what I have. The worst part of washing the rugs is shaking them after they come out of the washer. They're fairly heavy cotton reversable rugs and they shed a lot from the agitation in the washer. I always get covered with 'rug fuzz' when I shake them before I hang them....

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:If you had the Cipro left over from 5 years ago, my question is, why didn't you take them all when the dentist ordered them?  All the pills of an antibiotic have to be taken to be effective.  Stopping before the whole course is finished just gives bugs a chance to become drug resistant.  

Hope the sore throat is better.  Drink tea with honey to soothe it!

Tina does not like to take pills. They were left over from her tooth extraction.
I'm having a tough time getting her to take tylenol with codeine.
Gave her one 4:30 this AM, and she fell asleep. Her ribs are hurting from the cough.

Tea with honey is good. Thanks for that tip. I've been spraying my throat with Listerine / original.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:How's Ms. Tina feeling? Was she able to get some relief from the coughing spells?

The cough is less now! ... thanks! It's breaking up at least....

Niagara Visitor

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Niagara Visitor wrote:If you had the Cipro left over from 5 years ago, my question is, why didn't you take them all when the dentist ordered them?  All the pills of an antibiotic have to be taken to be effective.  Stopping before the whole course is finished just gives bugs a chance to become drug resistant.  

Tina does not like to take pills. They were left over from her tooth extraction.
Gave her one 4:30 this AM, and she fell asleep. Her ribs are hurting from the cough.

Tea with honey is good. Thanks for that tip. I've been spraying my throat with Listerine / original.

Codeine is a cough supressor so take that when the cough is bad.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

Codeine is a cough supressor so take that when the cough is bad.

She won't take it. She only has one kidney, ( the right one was removed which was cancer ) so she does not like to take any medications other than Bayer Aspirin .....
She is seeing the Dr tomorrow late morning.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

No clue whats for supper. Maybe Philly cheese steaks...

Bugster2

Bugster2

Haven't been doing much. I have been very tired and taking 4 naps a day. Last night it was TV dinners. Tonight? I don't know - maybe hot dogs.
Been laughing at this school mess. I have had friends doing something similar, but legal for years to get their kids into the right college - a large, legal donation directly to the school. It is funny because going to an elite school doesn't guarantee success in life. My sister's friend's daugher went to Harvard. Guess what folks, she can't get into med school. So, as I said, no guarantees.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I saw the 'other' rib eye in the freezer this morning so that's what got pulled for supper.

Grilled the steak on the hardwood charcoal, steamed some cream potatoes, cooked up a package of lima beans and made some more of the cucumber/onion salad with vinegar syrup that we like so much.

March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen??? - Page 4 03_14_10

JanaAZ

I’m playing around with another spice mix from Milford spice co. This one is adobe lime. So I’m making pork chops with rice, black beans, probably some tomato and more of this spice mix should be good

Bugster2

Bugster2

I ordered a cookbook from Tommy Bahama, got it, looked at it and decided it has to go back. 99% of the recipes have heat of some kind or have an ingredient that we don't like or are allergic to. I wish they could have had a look-see on their site and I could have seen that the book was not for our family. I could make the recipes without the heat but I think they are an integral part and really can't be eliminated.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was Steakums. fried onions and cheese on a hamburger rolls.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've been exhausted all day.....long story. Didn't get to bed until 4:30 a.m. and was only able to stay asleep until 9 a.m. ~ but I know I'll hit the hay tonight and not wake up after a couple hours.

It all started on Wednesday when Lyn texted me from the ship (they were on a Panama Canal cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to L.A.). Bill was in the ship clinic because of what they thought was a urinary track infection. He was running a fever and unable to pass any urine ~ ~ and on a ship headed for Puerto Vallarta, Mexico on Thursday morning. Apparently they were unable to get a catheter in to release for him and they weren't equipped to do anything else other than get him on I.V. antibiotics to try to combat the infection. The Doc strongly suggested they exit the ship in Puerto Vallarta and fly home or go to a hospital there in Mexico (ahhhh, no thank you).

So the ship's crew helped get them on flight(s) back to Orlando. They had to route through Chicago and then, after a 2 hour layover, fly to Orlando last night. They were suppose to arrive at 1:15 a.m. but, of course, the flight was delayed due to weather and they didn't arrive until 2:45 a.m. Lyn couldn't use her phone in Mexico but could text with me via WhatsApp. She asked me to contact their car service to change their pick-up from Sunday to this morning. I called and had to leave a message and the guy didn't return my call. So, I formulated 'Plan B' where Dane & I drove the 1-1/4 hours to pick them up. Now, it's not that I mind the drive, it's just that I don't do ANYTHING well in the middle of the night. Thank goodness Dane said he'd drive.

So, yesterday evening I drove over to their house to turn on their hot water heater (something I always do so she doesn't come home and have to wait to take a shower after traveling) and switch out cars because their Lexus SUV is larger and more comfortable for Bill than our little Honda HRV.

I've been texting with her all day today ~ they couldn't get an appointment with a doctor so she took him to the hospital at 11 this morning. They're still there, having tests run and no one has any idea of what the problem is. And he's not even being admitted because they have to have a diagnosis to admit him. They're treating him like an outpatient testing lab rat.

I can't believe it can take this long to have someone figure out how to help him out.

So, that's been my day. How's yours?

bethk

bethk
Admin

I can't believe I'm posting this pic.....MY FOOD IS TOUCHING !!!!

But I do sometimes like my creamed corn or peas on top of my boiled herbed potatoes. Chicken Chunks glazed with the Korean BBQ Sauce......same old ~ same old. ((sigh))

March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen??? - Page 4 03_15_10

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Oh dear, what a nightmare ........

I hope Bill is getting some help by now.....

Admin

Admin
Admin

After spending 11 hours in the ER and multiple tests they sent him home and said to go to his doc on Monday. Geese!

No cooking today. Dane had a big neighborhood golf outing with a lunch. If I get hungry I'll reheat some leftovers.

Bugster2

Bugster2

No diagnosis? They tried that $hit with my father when he was feeliing short of breath. I refused to take him home and told them to get some other doctor to see him. Glad I did what I did. Dad had a pulmonary embolism. He was in the hospital a week. The next time the same thing happened and I refused to take him home. It turned out to be some blocked arteries and he had to have an angioplasty to have them cleared.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Ana, our Brazilian friend, is coming tonight for Corned Beef and Cabbage.  Even though it's not a meal she ever had in Brazil, it is one she fell in love with when she moved to the US 20 years ago.  

I did the brisket the same as I always do because it's almost a 'no fail' method for me.  I simmered the Corned Beef flat with the seasoning packet. onion, celery & carrot chunks the other day until it was tender.  When it was done I carefully scraped off the fat cap, strained the cooking liquid and put it into a clean pot.  When it had cooled down in a sink full of ice water I stored it in the refrigerator.  I've found by trial and error that by cooling the brisket down in the cooking liquid I can get beautiful slices when it's cold.

So this morning I got it out of the refrigerator, removed the small amount of fat and sliced the cold brisket with my electric knife ~ yes, there is still someone in this world who uses an electric knife!  Then I put the sliced brisket into a casserole dish, ladled over some of the cooking liquid over and I'll reheat it in a 300° oven until it's reheated and hot.  The rest of the cooking liquid will flavor my vegetables that I'll cook together ~ I'll use potatoes, onion, carrots, green beans and (of course) wedges of cabbage.  I don't always add the green beans but I heard Ana make a comment she's not a fan of cooked carrots so I want to be sure she has a choice.

March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen??? - Page 4 03_17_10

March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen??? - Page 4 03_17_11

Niagara Visitor

bethk wrote:I've been exhausted all day.....long story.  Didn't get to bed until 4:30 a.m. and was only able to stay asleep until 9 a.m. ~ but I know I'll hit the hay tonight and not wake up after a couple hours.

It all started on Wednesday when Lyn texted me from the ship (they were on a Panama Canal cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to L.A.).  Bill was in the ship clinic because of what they thought was a urinary track infection.  He was running a fever and unable to pass any urine ~ ~ and on a ship headed for Puerto Vallarta, Mexico on Thursday morning.  Apparently they were unable to get a catheter in to release for him and they weren't equipped to do anything else other than get him on I.V. antibiotics to try to combat the infection.  The Doc strongly suggested they exit the ship in Puerto Vallarta and fly home or go to a hospital there in Mexico (ahhhh, no thank you).

So the ship's crew helped get them on flight(s) back to Orlando.  They had to route through Chicago and then, after a 2 hour layover, fly to Orlando last night.  They were suppose to arrive at 1:15 a.m. but, of course, the flight was delayed due to weather and they didn't arrive until 2:45 a.m.  Lyn couldn't use her phone in Mexico but could text with me via WhatsApp.  She asked me to contact their car service to change their pick-up from Sunday to this morning.  I called and had to leave a message and the guy didn't return my call.  So, I formulated 'Plan B' where Dane & I drove the 1-1/4 hours to pick them up.  Now, it's not that I mind the drive, it's just that I don't do ANYTHING well in the middle of the night.  Thank goodness Dane said he'd drive.  

So, yesterday evening I drove over to their house to turn on their hot water heater (something I always do so she doesn't come home and have to wait to take a shower after traveling) and switch out cars because their Lexus SUV is larger and more comfortable for Bill than our little Honda HRV.

I've been texting with her all day today ~ they couldn't get an appointment with a doctor so she took him to the hospital at 11 this morning.  They're still there, having tests run and no one has any idea of what the problem is.  And he's not even being admitted because they have to have a diagnosis to admit him.  They're treating him like an outpatient testing lab rat.  

I can't believe it can take this long to have someone figure out how to help him out.

So, that's been my day.  How's yours?
I think it's an enlarged prostate.  By the time my hubby let me take him to the emergency, his kidneys were bleeding from the infection. He couldn't pass the urine, so it was backing up, causing the infection.

bethk

bethk
Admin

That's been checked ~ the general thought is it was a UTI caused by him probably NOT drinking enough water (he was afraid of the water and ice because they were sailing where he had heard the water causes 'Montezuma's Revenge'.....). Now that he's been on antibiotic for 4 or 5 days he's getting better. He won't find out for sure until he goes to his doc tomorrow.

Turns out the hospital was 'full up' ~ absolutely NO beds available. During 'snowbird season' there is such a huge number of visitors in poor health they tend to overwhelm the medical community.

If the tests indicate any serious problem(s) Lyn will take him to Gainesville, about an hour north of us, to Shand's Medical Center, a teaching hospital with a very good reputation for excellent care.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I decided to make a dessert.....not a usual event at this house!  I had a can of cherry pie filling and a jar of Morello cherries in juice so it was easy to decide a cherry pie was in store.  I've always done the same as my Grandma by using the pie filling AND adding extra cherries.  It makes for a very tasty pie.  I didn't have any pie crust in the freezer so I had to make my own ~ it looks like it came out OK ~ at least it held together.  It's not my prettiest effort but once it's cut no one will ever notice!

The one thing that really bugs me is I didn't bake it on a sheet of foil or a sheet pan and, OF COURSE, one tiny spot bubbled over.  I've got some baking soda and a vinegar soaked piece of paper towel over the burned on 'goo' right now.  I'm hoping that will do the trick to get it to release so I can get it washed up.

March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen??? - Page 4 03_17_12

March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen??? - Page 4 03_17_13

Bugster2

Bugster2

Your corned beef looks great. I have only made it once - a point cut and it had way too much fat. We ended up tossing the whole thing. The beef came pre-corned and was too salty for our taste. They were selling flat cuts of corned beef at the market for $3.99/lb but I thought it might be too risky and expensive to make another mistake. Your brisket gives me hope.

NormM

NormM

March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen??? - Page 4 20190319
March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen??? - Page 4 20190320
Our dinner is ready but won't be served for around another hour. Here is what it looks like now.March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen??? - Page 4 20190317
March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen??? - Page 4 20190318
March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen??? - Page 4 20190316
dinner is ready but we are not ready to eat yet. Here is what it looks like. Home made corned beef, vegetables, potatoes, cabbage, scones and Irish butter.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum