Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen???

+5
cookingirl
Bugster2
Niagara Visitor
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 10]

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:We searched the 'hood all day long and every 30 minutes when it was dark. My husband set up a beach chair by the front door and just watched. Lo and behold, Noogie  came around the corner of the garage at 1am. A quick grab and he was safe. He is cold, hungry and thirsty but he is safe. The coyotes didn't get him.

Yay!! So glad Noogie came home, Debbie. I was hoping since he's an inside cat that he was hunkering down somewhere scared as all get out and wouldn't be roaming too far for the coyotes to see him.

When I noticed the time you had posted your message (almost 4 a.m.), I smiled as I guess Joe had the guilts about not taking Noogie inside. It was very sweet of him to set up camp outside the front door. Good idea because inside cats will often wait until it's very still and quiet before they come out of their hiding place and move around.

I'm so happy he's back home and safe, Debbie! Very Happy

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:I realize that this is a cooking group, but it seems that health and the cost of it sneaks in often.  I think that is in part because there's a fair amount of grey in our hair! LOL.  It amazes me all the time to hear/read the astounding amounts of money that some of you have to spend on medications and hospital care.

I couldn't agree more, Lore. We were lucky to find a foundation who paid for Brian's deductible for that cancer drug. But if you're old, poor and/or don't have computer skills or a computer, it's not something everyone would be able to do or would even know how to go about. New Orleans has a large segment of people who live in poverty who often are unable to do some of the things that come easy to many of us. In other words, finding foundations who can assist a person is not something that's really available to everyone for any number of reasons. Which is why 3 months of that outrageously expensive medication is such a gift to another patient. Plus I'm sure Brian's doctors get great joy of handing the pills to a deserving patient who can begin taking them that very same day.

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Thank you Michelle for your nice comments. As for smoking corned beef, I have, but as pastrami which is corned beef with added seasonings.  When smoking brisket or pastrami, I trim some of the fat and leave about an inch all over the top, then trim it all off after it comes out of the smoker and has set a while.

I meant to ask you if you ever grilled a corned beef brisket, Norm. It's very good that way and the grilled flavor really flatters it.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote: Ta Da!!!

March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen??? - Page 8 Greek_10

O. M. G.   ! ! ! ! !

'bout time you decided to post pics.............oh, and the soup looks pretty tasty, too!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane's nephew's wife.....our niece, I should say, had an African Grey bird she was devoted to. She took it with her outside the "birdcage" screen enclosure around her pool and it flew away. She was shocked it flew away from her because she was sure the bird was very emotionally attached to her. So stupid.....it's still an animal and it did what it's suppose to do. She looked and looked for over a year. Others saw her pleas when she was posting on Facebook, etc. and now she has TWO different birds that were given to her.

Our house cats would occasionally get out of the house but they never went any further than the grass in the yard they wanted to "graze" on. Of course then they would come back in and had to stay on the linoleum or hardwood until they were cleared out. Yuck. They also use to head out to the garden if they had a chance to get in the catnip patch. That stuff made them almost drunk....had trouble walking a straight line and then just came in the house and slept it off. Must be what doing drugs is like....IDK".......

But I'm glad your cat returned.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Smidge doesn't react much to catnip but the other three get high as a kite - rolling around on the floor, beating up a catnip mouse and then they get mellow and take a nap.
We did let Noogie and Lauren out to eat grass but I guess that will stop now. They would always hold their gorge until back in the house and then upchuck.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Michelle....sorry to hear Brian is feeling poorly. I hope all the new meds help out. It's always fun to take an hour or so to catch up with you! We miss your posts, to be sure.

Our Jacob (DD#2's son) is visiting for a few days. His dad is working in the area for a couple weeks so he let Jake fly down and he gets to stay with us Monday - Thursday noon while his dad's working. They spent a couple days this past weekend 'vacationing' in Orlando ~ went to a water park and one of the theme parks.

I had texted with him yesterday when I was at the store, asked him what he might want us to have in the house to eat, mentioned I had already picked up crab legs because they were on sale. He almost cheered through the phone! He didn't want to ask for crab because he knows it's expensive but he's sure happy I said I already had it! So, tonight will be our Crab Leg Feast with some kind of potato and green beans. Dane is going to have a piece of cod and salmon (small cuts) I had in the freezer from a while ago. Dane's not a big crab fan, says it's too much work for him. To each his own! (all the more for Jake and me!)

Tomorrow Jake asked if we could go to one of the restaurants here for gyros ~ we took him the last time he was here and he loved it. He also just had Chicken & Waffles this weekend with his dad and now that's a new favorite. The kid does like his food.

He'll be a high school sophomore next year and has decided to go to the Vocational High School. His sophomore year he can 'try' two majors and then decide which to pursue for his junior and senior years. He wants to try Computer Technologies and Culinary Arts and then decide which he wants to do later. The school has an excellent reputation for preparing students to get employment in their desired areas of expertise. The school was built about 5 years ago, moving from the campus of the local Technical College where it had been since the mid 1960's, and they did an excellent job of including all the latest technology needed.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:

O. M. G.   ! ! ! ! !

'bout time you decided to post pics.............oh, and the soup looks pretty tasty, too!
Love the table setting. Looks like a setting for Julius Caesar.

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:Michelle....sorry to hear Brian is feeling poorly.  I hope all the new meds help out.  It's always fun to take an hour or so to catch up with you!  We miss your posts, to be sure.

Our Jacob (DD#2's son) is visiting for a few days.  His dad is working in the area for a couple weeks so he let Jake fly down and he gets to stay with us Monday - Thursday noon while his dad's working.  They spent a couple days this past weekend 'vacationing' in Orlando ~ went to a water park and one of the theme parks.  

I had texted with him yesterday when I was at the store, asked him what he might want us to have in the house to eat, mentioned I had already picked up crab legs because they were on sale.  He almost cheered through the phone!  He didn't want to ask for crab because he knows it's expensive but he's sure happy I said I already had it!  So, tonight will be our Crab Leg Feast with some kind of potato and green beans.  Dane is going to have a piece of cod and salmon (small cuts) I had in the freezer from a while ago.  Dane's not a big crab fan, says it's too much work for him.  To each his own!  (all the more for Jake and me!)

Tomorrow Jake asked if we could go to one of the restaurants here for gyros ~ we took him the last time he was here and he loved it.  He also just had Chicken & Waffles this weekend with his dad and now that's a new favorite.  The kid does like his food.

He'll be a high school sophomore next year and has decided to go to the Vocational High School.  His sophomore year he can 'try' two majors and then decide which to pursue for his junior and senior years.  He wants to try Computer Technologies and Culinary Arts and then decide which he wants to do later.  The school has an excellent reputation for preparing students to get employment in their desired areas of expertise.  The school was built about 5 years ago, moving from the campus of the local Technical College where it had been since the mid 1960's, and they did an excellent job of including all the latest technology needed.

I am of the opinion that kids shouldn't choose their life-long profession at such an early age. Kids don't start getting any sense till age 25 and the brain isn't fully developed until age 30. I hope everything works out for him but don't be surprised if he changes his mind about what he wants to do in the future. Also, has he investigated the pay scale for those two professions? Can't he support himself and possibly a future wife and family? I know it isn't my place to voice my opinion, but I just can't help it. I don't want the kid to make a huge mistake. 

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
bethk wrote:

O. M. G.   ! ! ! ! !

Love the table setting. Looks like a setting for Julius Caesar.  

Thanks to both of you! When it was ready and I'd served us, Brian thought I was crazy when I said I'd be back in a minute. I ran (well, moved fast for me) upstairs and grabbed the camera to take a picture of it. Didn't realize until later that I'd locked the camera into the wrong setting as I thought the one I selected was for close ups. But that's one good thing about digital cameras (or phones for you guys). At least you get to see right away in your picture was really bad.

Leftover soup tonight but we both can't wait. I promised him I'd make homemade biscuits to go with it. BTW, Beth, I FINALLY tried making biscuits with self-rising flour, heavy cream and melted butter like you do. I figured I'd better use some of that small bag of self-rising flour before it expired, as I've had it a while now. Embarassed  The biscuits were indeed delicious and simple as pie. I used a biscuit cutter last time but tonight I'm just going to cut them apart in large squares (so I can just have "one"). They were indeed just as easy as the ones I've made my whole life from Bisquick. A long time ago I typed up, printed and cut out conversion ratios to convert all-purpose flour to both self-rising and cake flour; I have them taped inside one of my kitchen cabinets for easy access...

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:He'll be a high school sophomore next year and has decided to go to the Vocational High School. His sophomore year he can 'try' two majors and then decide which to pursue for his junior and senior years. He wants to try Computer Technologies and Culinary Arts and then decide which he wants to do later. The school has an excellent reputation for preparing students to get employment in their desired areas of expertise. The school was built about 5 years ago, moving from the campus of the local Technical College where it had been since the mid 1960's, and they did an excellent job of including all the latest technology needed.

What a great idea, Beth. Sounds like Jake is a smart cookie as it's so nice to have a jump start on getting some work in a field he has an interest in. It's a sure way to feel it out for a while and see if it's something he'd like to pursue later on in either the private sector or in college. I know you've said on several occasions that his mom isn't known for her cooking expertise so he must've gotten that interest in the food world from you!

I hope you both enjoy your crab legs tonight. What other meal did he ask you to make while he's there?

Crybaby

Crybaby

Debbie wrote:I am of the opinion that kids shouldn't choose their life-long profession at such an early age. Kids don't start getting any sense till age 25 and the brain isn't fully developed until age 30. I hope everything works out for him but don't be surprised if he changes his mind about what he wants to do in the future. Also, has he investigated the pay scale for those two professions? Can't he support himself and possibly a future wife and family? I know it isn't my place to voice my opinion, but I just can't help it. I don't want the kid to make a huge mistake.

I don't know, Debbie, as I know a lot of people in our generation who put way too much emphasis is how much money they would make when choosing a major and a career. Often people pined over the career they really were interested in that they'd been steered away from by those focused primarily on income. I know a few people who went to college and left the field they'd chosen to do what they really wanted to do and liked doing, like working on cars, cooking or baking, etc. Others would say they got too reliant on the money they made to risk a financial hit to change professions -- and they'd also say how they hated going to work every day even though their income was good...

bethk

bethk
Admin

I no longer have my tall pasta pot that I use to steam crab legs in.....what a quandry on what to do. Then I remembered Barb saying she heated her crab legs on her grill so, hey, why not give that a try? I rinsed the crab and laid them on a wire rack in a half sheet pan, added a glass full of water and covered the whole thing in foil, sealing it tightly so it would steam. I always cover the bottom of my sheet pans when I use them on the grill so they don't get nasty from the grates.

I even put Dane's salmon & cod, smeared with butter and seasoned with s&p and fresh dill, in a small foil pan and sealed that with foil so it would steam. He said it was 'just right'.

And all the smell is outside!

I par-cooked the potatoes in the microwave like I usually do and then let them crisp up in the hot grill. The beans got cooked stove top and seasoned with Penzey's seasoning.

March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen??? - Page 8 03_25_10

March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen??? - Page 8 03_25_11

Bugster2

Bugster2

Crybaby wrote:
Debbie wrote:I am of the opinion that kids shouldn't choose their life-long profession at such an early age. Kids don't start getting any sense till age 25 and the brain isn't fully developed until age 30. I hope everything works out for him but don't be surprised if he changes his mind about what he wants to do in the future. Also, has he investigated the pay scale for those two professions? Can't he support himself and possibly a future wife and family? I know it isn't my place to voice my opinion, but I just can't help it. I don't want the kid to make a huge mistake.

I don't know, Debbie, as I know a lot of people in our generation who put way too much emphasis is how much money they would make when choosing a major and a career. Often people pined over the career they really were interested in that they'd been steered away from by those focused primarily on income. I know a few people who went to college and left the field they'd chosen to do what they really wanted to do and liked doing, like working on cars, cooking or baking, etc. Others would say they got too reliant on the money they made to risk a financial hit to change professions -- and they'd also say how they hated going to work every day even though their income was good...

I don't mean making a lot of money, I just want to make sure he makes enough money to live on. You see these commercials about being a dental assistant or a medical office worker and they simply don't make enough money to be independent. It isn't much better than minimum wage. Not everyone is cut out for college either so trade schools are terrific. My appliance repairman makes $90 just to come look at an appliance. He has a house, 4 kids, goes on a cruise every year. I just think a freshman in high school is too young, too inexperienced in life to be making a career choice at this stage. It doesn't mean I am right, it is just how i feel. It is funny because in England, the educational system is just that way. If you don't get certain scores on tests, at age 16 you are out of school and an apprentice somewhere or are going to a trade school. It might be a good idea to find out what the pay scale is for the professions he is thinking about. Eventually he will want to rent an apartment, buy a car and pay his bills. It would be nice to know if he can, working one of those jobs.

Another idea would be to go on the job with someone who is a chef or a computer tech and see how it actually is and get first-hand feedback.

Bugster2

Bugster2

FYI:

Kale named one of the ‘dirtiest’, most pesticide-contaminated veggies in new report
by Fiza Pirani, Atlanta Journal-Constitution, NCD
29 minutes ago

A new report from the Environmental Working Group suggests kale—commonly touted as a healthy superfood—is actually the third "dirtiest" item in your grocery store produce section.

For its annual "Dirty Dozen" and "Clean Fifteen" shopper’s guide lists, the watchdog group tested for pesticide contamination using data from the Department of Agriculture’s produce testing analyses of more than 40,900 samples.

Pesticides are typically used to protect fruits and vegetables, but growing evidence has revealed associations with cancer risk, fertility and other health concerns, according to the World Health Organization.

The popular leafy green ranked third on EWG’s list of 12 "dirty" fruits and vegetables, all produce researchers said contain the highest amounts of pesticide residues. Others on the list include strawberries, nectarines, spinach, apples, peaches, grapes, cherries, tomatoes, pears, celery and potatoes.

>> Related: Court says EPA ignored dangers of pesticide linked to brain damage in kids, orders ban

The top produce items among its "Clean Fifteen" include avocados, sweet corn, pineapples, frozen sweet peas and onions.

In the report, EWG scientists specifically highlighted that nearly 60 percent of kale samples sold in the United States were contaminated with DCPA (or Dacthal), which the Environmental Protection Agency first classified as a possible carcinogen in 1995.

"The EPA’s 1995 classification of it as a possible carcinogen noted increases in liver and thyroid tumors," toxicologist Alexis Temkin wrote in a statement for EWG. "Dacthal can also cause other kinds of harm to the lungs, liver, kidney and thyroid."

According to the EWG, the European Union prohibited all uses of Dacthal back in 2009—the last time kale was on EWG’s "dirty" list—but the pesticide is still used on a variety of American crops, including broccoli, sweet potatoes, eggplant and turnips.

In 2016 alone, researchers said about 500,000 pounds of Dacthal were sprayed in the country.

But because kale is high in vitamins A and K as well as iron, and the vegetable has been known to help reduce risk of heart disease, researchers recommend that shoppers opt for organically grown kale.

Ultimately, EWG research analyst Carla Burns said in a news release, "the health benefits of a diet rich in fruits and vegetables outweigh the risks of pesticide exposure."

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hey, Debbie, I just remembered one of those dumb things that clutters up my brain......I read if your cat gets out of the house and you're afraid it's lost you're suppose to put its litter box outside. They can smell it from a mile away.

How they tested this is beyond me. I mean, did they take a cat a mile from home and kick it out of the car and then waited for it to return to scratch around in the litter? Did they take another cat 1.1 miles from home and it never returned?

But the best thing is keeping them on a leash. My grandma use to clip the cat's long leash to the clothesline. He loved it. Of course, your cat has to be harness trained. Gotta start young.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I knew that cats like to hug walls in the house and in the yard. They don't like being out in the open. I figured that Noogie, since this was his first escape, might just stay close to walls and bushes and not cross the street. The Ring videos proved just that. It was Joe's willingness to sit out in the cold and the fact that Noogie was walking next to the house walls is what saved him. He has drunk a lot of water, eaten a little, and slept today. He has not asked to be let out. I found that there is a GPS tracking system for pets. The only drawback is that it costs about $7 a month for the service.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane and Jake played golf today. Then Jake mentioned he wanted a gyro for supper so we went out. Tomorrow we're going out for his new favorite, chicken and waffles.....easy cooking week!

NormM

NormM

I looked for a recipe that we had liked before and found one for chicken breasts, spinach and cream/cheese sauce.  I used thighs and peas instead and added spaghetti.March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen??? - Page 8 20190323

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Dane and Jake played golf today. Then Jake mentioned he wanted a gyro for supper so we went out. Tomorrow we're going out for his new favorite, chicken and waffles.....easy cooking week!

God bless Jake! He really did sprout.
Is he the GrandSon that you make the Two fried eggs, but One, has to be a dippy egg? If so. what is the reason for 1 dippy egg and one just fried??

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was supposed to be hot dogs, but I'm on the dirty end of the stick today!
Instead, I had a Hungry man frozen Salisbury steak TV dinner.

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:God bless Jake! He really did sprout.
Is he the GrandSon that you make the Two fried eggs, but One, has to be a dippy egg? If so. what is the reason for 1 dippy egg and one just fried??

Yeah, Jake has done the 'teenager thin-out'......he's active in sports (wrestling and cross country) and is happy he lost his 'baby fat'. He still eats enough to keep a large farm animal alive, though! LOL

The 'usual' breakfast of one hard and one 'dippy' began when he was about 3 years old and stuck. I was the only one who would cut the crust off his bread before toasting it and cut it into strips for him. Everyone else insisted he eat the crust ~ why? It's such a small thing to put a smile on the face of a little boy! And I have no idea how he came to decide he liked his eggs cooked like that. Most likely it was because one of the yolks broke and I convinced him it was really good like that. Hahahahaha

He still doesn't like any fruit. Never did, even as a baby with strained yummy Blueberry Buckle or Peach Cobbler. (Man, that stuff was SO good!) He does, however, love broccoli, beans, corn (if it's cut off the cob because it's faster to eat), zucchini and onions. And white potatoes ~ sweet potatoes not so much.

Niagara Visitor

Making potato salad again today, for my sis. I have a "minor" medical procedure tomorrow, so I need a babysitter when I come back from the hospital. She loves my potato salad, so I'll make that today. I'll get chicken wings ready also to put in the oven tomorrow.

I had my gallbladder out 7 years ago, now I have a gallstone in the bile duct which gives the same sort of attacks as when they are in the gallbladder. Definitely not fun. The surgeon tried it last week, and it was unsuccessful, so it's try #2 tomorrow. The surgeon puts a scope down my throat, tries to get to the duct and "blasts" the stone into smithereens so it can pass. Cross your fingers. If this time doesn't work, then it may be actual abdominal surgery.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Prayers, Lore, for a successful "blast" and you on the mend soon.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Just had lunch....
Tina made a big pot of mac and cheese.

Supper.... ?????? awaiting a thought.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum