Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen???

+5
cookingirl
Bugster2
Niagara Visitor
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 10]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cyn ~ keep looking for the 'silver lining'....you'll find it.  I realize I'm not 'walking in your shoes' but I just know if you make up your mind to find the happiness in your day that's what you'll see.  I think it's neat that you have less to clean, it's $$ controlled (which is VERY hard to come by) AND YOU HAVE A VIEW OF THE SEA!!!  How wonderful!

Supper ended up being Braised Pork Steak (Buy One Get One! WooHoo!!!), leftover mashed potatoes and roasted broccoli & cauliflower.  

March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen??? - Page 2 03_06_10

NormM

NormM

When my mom moved into a senior living apartment, she seemed to take to it pretty well. It was small but she seemed to be happy with it.  She moved in with my sister when the dr. told her she had cancer and only a few months left.  She lived about another ten years.

For dinner tonight I tried Emeril's braised chicken thighs recipe.  We both thought it was pretty good. March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen??? - Page 2 20190310

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Beth and Norm.... Looking good! .. geeze, I sound like the My Pillow Guy ( Mike )
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I made pasta shells with fried chopped onions and kidney beans.
Tina had to take the baby Liam to the Dr. today. 11 AM appt. blew the whole day!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:It is government, subsidized senior housing... income adjusted.

The food is an additional $200 a month.. but I look at it as part of the rent. I do not have to pay for heat, electricity, or water.. so it is a bargain.. I am one of those living on Social Security; so I need this.

It is very overwhelming, in here. the building is very big; over 270 apartments.

I guess in 5 years or so, I will fit into the profile.. until then, I do not feel comfortable here.

I do have some friends from my old building living here. They were like 'mother hen's' in the beginning.. now that I have been here for 9 days, they are backing off... and leaving me to my own devices, to explore...

Not what I wanted, and a huge adjustment. But it is for the future.. and is what I need now--a cheaper rent, which is impossible to come by, in the NorthEast.

From what you say Cindy, You are lucky to jump 5 years into the future, and be secure in your place. Don't forget, when 5 years come in the future, you won't have to deal with it.
I'm sure it will eventually fit in.
I do understand the moving from the other place senario, and it must have taken a toll on you. No

Niagara Visitor

Adjustments in moving to a smaller place takes time, as was said, less to clean, new friends to make. Good luck.

Bugster2

Bugster2

cookingirl wrote:It is government, subsidized senior housing... income adjusted.

The food is an additional $200 a month.. but I look at it as part of the rent. I do not have to pay for heat, electricity, or water.. so it is a bargain.. I am one of those living on Social Security; so I need this.

It is very overwhelming, in here. the building is very big; over 270 apartments.

I guess in 5 years or so, I will fit into the profile.. until then, I do not feel comfortable here.

I do have some friends from my old building living here. They were like 'mother hen's' in the beginning.. now that I have been here for 9 days, they are backing off... and leaving me to my own devices, to explore...

Not what I wanted, and a huge adjustment. But it is for the future.. and is what I need now--a cheaper rent, which is impossible to come by, in the NorthEast.

Senior housing on the beach? It is unheard of out here. I would think the view alone would be very sustaining. You need to personalize your apartment to make it cozy then you will feel better. I suspect you are sleeping so much due to depression. It is like a kid in a new school. You will adapt. As for the yapping cur next door, complain to management and see if they can do anything about it. Probably not but it is worth a try.
I wonder if bringing your own seasoning blends to sprinkle on top of the meals you are trying to eat in the dining room would help. Maybe make up a seasoning condiment caddy you can take with you. I have quite a few recipes for seasoning blends that are good that I can post. If they ever serve fish that you would normally use tartar sauce or a lemon cream sauce on and they don't provide it, make your own and bring it with you. I have a yummy tartar sauce recipe from Emeril and a great lemon cream sauce I can post.
Another thing you can do, if you have the strength, is to get involved. Does your housing have games, book clubs, knitting, walking? You can meet people that way.
All the best to you. Check in more often and let us know how you are doing.

I made pizza last night but the bottom of the crust was soggy. I am going to have to start using my pizza stone. A few day ago we turned on all 3 burners of our grill to see how hot it would get. 800 degrees! Perfect for pizzas I just have to learn how to do it. LOL. Got to clean out the grease. It caught fire. I did it when we first moved in. Disgusting job.

I have a major problem: I can't sleep anywhere but on the couch. My mattress is too firm. Bought a Tempurpedic topper for it but it is still too hard. I really can't afford another mattress. I suppose I will go to some stores and see what I can find and make sure it can be returned if it doesn't work out.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We use a stone on the bottom of the oven floor. The last 6 -10 minutes, we drop it on the stone. We bake it at 375F on the middle oven rack.
Another mention, is we have a gas range. So with electric, it may differ!

Tina likes the bottom crust burnt. I like it crisp, but only browned.

NormM

NormM

I know it does not help but I just remembered that my mom's situation was helped because her sister's house was across the street. Her window actually overlooked it and another sister moved in to the same building shortly afterward.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

I didn't feel like cooking tonight so we went to TooJay's Deli. I had a crock of onion soup and Dane had a couple Deli Dogs with cole slaw and dill pickles.i brought a small loaf of their rye bread to toast for breakfast.

cookingirl

cookingirl

I will eventually personalize my new place. It will take time; Problem is, my sofa will not arrive until the end of the month. I had to buy a new one, because my favorite, old sofa was too big for the space.

I cannot put things up, because I do not know where I will end up positioning the furniture..

I think I am so tired and sleeping so much is because I have been stressing out for a year, about this place. I did not know if I was eligible.. I was, then stuff happened and I thought I wasn't...I knew I had to move, but where. I could not afford the rent in this area.. or anywhere near here..

It has been a very emotional year==stressful...between me not knowing where I was going to live/move; Artie being sick and having to be put down; the stupid renovations to the old apartment; Me adopting Geoffrey, who became ill..yes, his stools were very soft.. diarrhea.. It has been a roller coaster year... living out of my savings, which were dwindling down, very quickly..

I also did not have much time to pack. I had done some purging last year, but not enough.. and the apartment which was allotted me, is neither the configuration nor the size I was expecting.. and it is not at a great corner.. so... a lot of no's...

A ton of stress...

Thanks for the tips on the condiment tray. I tried the food for a few days.. actually all week.. I am not going to eat it.. It all has a funky, smell and taste.. I do not know if it is the refrigeration, the water, the quality of the food, where they store it, or what.. but it smells funky... Not for me..

The building is 40 years old, and needs work.. it is well kept, but so many things need updating..

And, pardon me, please, do not get me wrong.. seeing so many elderly people here.. with walkers, canes, can barely walk.. it is depressing..

But saving a thousand dollars a month is awesome...

I think with all the emotional stuff I was going through, last year, and then getting accepted in here.. joyously happy, then having to quickly pack/downsize.. and fight with management of my old place about getting out of my lease...Yes, that is another story...

I think it all hit me.. I survived all of it, but collapsed, once I was fully moved and done with my old place...

FYI, I was not allowed to break my lease--even for senior housing. They were going to hold me responsible for monthly rent payments, until my old apartment was rented.. and I would not receive my last month's rent nor my security deposit until after my lease was 'officially' over.. in August.

I almost had a breakdown about this... finally old property manager stepped in, and allowed me to leave... only have to pay for the month of March, and then we are even.. I will get the money back..
Negotiated to stay until March 8; because I am paying for the full month..

I spent a lot of sleepless nights, anxiety filled days--packing, while trying to handle this..

So I think I am just suffering the aftereffects of everything...

plus not being 100% thrilled with my new apartment..

Next week, I have an appointment with my doctor... so I will go over things with him..

I also have a few former neighbors, from my old building, who live here. We are friends. They have been guiding me through this..so grateful for them..

I just think I am being overwhelmed with the move, and all the stress I had been through..

Now I am here.. and unless I want to move, and find a place; I am set for a long time.. It is elderly housing.. so....

I really do not consider myself elderly.. but, 62 is eligibility......and I am 64...

cookingirl

cookingirl

March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen??? - Page 2 Rdh63010

This is Geoffrey, from this morning.. watching the sunrise...

bethk

bethk
Admin

OMG, Cyn......it's beautiful! Give it a few months to settle in.....you'll be completely in love with the place.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Cindy, I don't know how you did it! Seriously!
You can thank God that he gave you the strength and push, to make the move.
We are praying it all works out for you!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had pea soup for supper.
Tina cooked ( braised w onions ) the kielbasa, so I just tasted it. That will be saturdays supper. No meat tomorrow.

March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen??? - Page 2 Img_1417

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've got chicken pieces marinating in buttermilk & sriracha. Yesterday I asked Dane if he wanted to get fried chicken for supper out (he didn't) and ever since all I've thought about is fried chicken. So, fried chicken and potato salad, maybe a cucumber salad, too. But the fried chicken is what I want...with a crunchy fried chicken crust.....I only make it once or twice a year - and tonight's it!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy, that sausage and onions looks SO yummy!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Jimmy, that sausage and onions looks SO yummy!

Thanks Beth! ..... I got to taste some, before the devil Twisted Evil
got me to sin, just before 12 midnight. No meat on fridays during Lent.
For Us that is.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

L U N C H.....

Grotons breaded fish. Wow! One whole teaspoon of thin sliced fish inside. Looks like the fish is the white?  Nope! That it batter inside.

Two dishes of salad. Tina always makes an awesome salad. No need to cut it into manageable pieces. Simply said...."The chin and nose, does not get lettuce slapped, and all messed up!"

March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen??? - Page 2 Img_1418

March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen??? - Page 2 Img_1419
[url=https://servimg.com/view/18594668/342]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, the SALAD looks fabulous, Jimmy! I don't think I've had frozen battered fish since I was in high school and it was on the Friday menu ~ but even then I'm pretty sure there was more fish than you got today. But, hey, TOMORROW will be meat day!

Can you feel my smile through the computer? Even Dane is still smilin' !!

The chicken marinated in the whole milk buttermilk with some sriracha stirred in for a bit of flavor. Then I just used a/p flour, Cajun seasoning salt, Chicken Rub Seasoning, a little baking powder and a few shakes of black pepper. I didn't let too much of the buttermilk drip off before pressing the flour mixture on the chicken pieces ~ I cut up my own and just did the thighs, legs & wings. The back & ribs got wrapped and stashed in the 'Parts Is Parts' bag in the freezer and the breast got de-boned and wrapped to stash in the freezer, too.

The dredged chicken got put on a rack over a sheet pan and stashed, uncovered, in the refrigerator so the buttermilk could absorb the flour and not fall off when I fried it. I took it out of the refrigerator about 1/2 hour before I was going to fry so it wasn't so cold when it hit the oil.

I fried the chicken in peanut oil ~ started at about 350° and probably kept a pretty constant 320° while it was cooking.

March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen??? - Page 2 03_08_10

The fried chicken pieces got to rest on a clean rack in a 200° oven for about 20 minutes to rest and be sure it was cooked through evenly. It came out super crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.

March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen??? - Page 2 03_08_11

I made thin sliced cucumbers and onion and just added a little of Grandma's Vinegar Syrup and another splash of cider vinegar to keep it from being too sweet.....The Potato Salad had lots of celery, a sliced green onion, a bunch of hard cooked eggs and a dressing of Miracle Whip, Hellmann's, Sour Cream, sugar, celery seed and black pepper.

March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen??? - Page 2 03_08_12

Like I mentioned earlier, I only do 'real' fried chicken about once a year.....and it was just as good as I was hoping it would be. Now to convince myself that I shouldn't put it on a monthly rotation.....

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

My goodness Beth, that chicken looks like Jimmy Eat It....for sure.

Tomorrow will be eat Meat day for darn sure!
Funny thing ..... DD opened the fridge around 6:30 this AM, and the Kielbasa In the container....hahahahaha....slid out, and crashed on the floor of the fridge!
Obviously, DD was peeved! Especially because the container opened.
I was pretending to sleep, but I did hear the cuss words!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane had leftovers tonight......it was Ladies' Luncheon day and I just didn't want anything to eat.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I made cream of broccoli soup from a can of Campbell's cream of celery.
I just cooked the brocoli, and added it to the soup and a can of water.
Oyster crackers, and black pepper, and it was amazingly good.

Niagara Visitor

No cooking again today............... Sis and I went out for a late lunch, early supper, or as I call it............"Lupper". She's fighting her third round of breast cancer, and it is not going to go away. So while she still can, we go out for a great meal at least once a week. We both like a good steak, so that's what we had. Sons are coming for breakfast in the morning, so I get to remember making breakfast occasionally.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Don't know what end is up today. If there will be a supper, it will come out of a can oy cooked in a frying pan.
The house is INFESTED with germs. Tina ( from hugging and kissing the baby ) is with a monster cold and sore throat. She refused the DR for three days.
DD is here with a cold..... the cats must be sick with pissy eyes.
I'm doing all I can do to stay away from them.
I've been wiping my hands and face, with clorox and lysol wipes.

I won't make chicken soup, because they don't like the way I make it. ( skinless and boneless thighs ). I can use chicken stock so I can make a small pot of that with carrots and celery and zucchini. I may do that.
IDK.... it's kinda late to start cooking soup.

Niagara Visitor

Leftovers for me tonight also. I made too many home frys for breakfast with my sons, and I have a couple of pieces of chicken left from Thursday night. Will probably make some cauliflower to go with those.

I am getting close to having my freezer empty. It's just the bottom of my fridge, but I decided that I'm not buying anything until it is empty. There are two or three "mystery" items that I think will just go in the trash. There is a large container of turkey from my son's Christmas turkey carcass, so I have to do something with that. We are having a pot luck in the building here on Friday, so I'll look at some recipes to use that.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum