Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January?

+3
NormM
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 9]

51NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 3 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:55 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

When I was in elementary school the cooks (yes, we had REAL women who cooked our food fresh every day.....) would use government surplus products (bologna, rice, cheese, butter, etc.) to make sandwiches and cookies and stuff to pass out to all the students during the afternoon recess. I'm sure it was because most of the children probably wouldn't have much to eat when they got home at night.

They would make ground bologna, ground ham and ground chicken, all spread on excess bread and cut into triangles. Sometimes there would be white bread and wheat bread on the same sandwich. Funny how I can still picture standing in line to get a snack....

52NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 3 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:02 pm

Niagara Visitor

In a cooking/planning funk the last few days.  Tired of chicken tired of fish.  Made a steak on my fabulous T-Fal grill last night.  I'm going to have to get to the bottom of my little freezer, maybe I have a surprise in there. LOL

53NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 3 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:29 pm

Niagara Visitor

I found some chicken thighs, different from breast which I had a few days ago.

54NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 3 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:53 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:When I was in elementary school the cooks (yes, we had REAL women who cooked our food fresh every day.....) would use government surplus products (bologna, rice, cheese, butter, etc.) to make sandwiches and cookies and stuff to pass out to all the students during the afternoon recess.  I'm sure it was because most of the children probably wouldn't have much to eat when they got home at night.

They would make ground bologna, ground ham and ground chicken, all spread on excess bread and cut into triangles.  Sometimes there would be white bread and wheat bread on the same sandwich.  Funny how I can still picture standing in line to get a snack....

The thing that turned me away from the school cafeteria food, was that jello, with tuna and carrot shreds in it, and a dollop of mayonnaise on top. yuck! Anyone remember that?

55NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 3 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:12 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today was stuffed bell peppers. They were a success....

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 3 Img_1319

56NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 3 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:37 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It is with sadness and plays heavily on our hearts.
Our Cooking Friend Evelyn Read passed away after her battle with cancer, diabetes, and other complications. She was known as .... E Read on this and earlier forums like Cooking.Com etc.  

Her obituary is pending at the Mangano Funeral Homes in Middle Island NY.
This was placed on her Facebook page a little while ago.
God Rest her Soul!

https://www.manganofh.com/obituaries/Evelyn-Carol-Read?obId=3994268#/celebrationWall

57NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 3 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:33 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
bethk wrote:When I was in elementary school the cooks (yes, we had REAL women who cooked our food fresh every day.....) would use government surplus products (bologna, rice, cheese, butter, etc.) to make sandwiches and cookies and stuff to pass out to all the students during the afternoon recess.  I'm sure it was because most of the children probably wouldn't have much to eat when they got home at night.

They would make ground bologna, ground ham and ground chicken, all spread on excess bread and cut into triangles.  Sometimes there would be white bread and wheat bread on the same sandwich.  Funny how I can still picture standing in line to get a snack....

The thing that turned me away from the school cafeteria food, was that jello, with tuna and carrot shreds in it, and a dollop of mayonnaise on top. yuck! Anyone remember that?

I am sorry that you lost your friend. May she rest in peace.

What I hated most in my grade school cafeteria was a shredded carrot salad with mayo and raisins. We had a teacher that made us eat it whether we wanted to or not. Another teacher made the kids eat their orange peels. We made sure our mothers never packed oranges in our lunches. That was no problem in our house, we got the same thing every day: pbj sandwich, a bag of chips and a Ding Dong.

58NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 3 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:35 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

So sad....Evelyn was such an inspiration for anyone struggling with "incurable" diseases. She survived for years after being told she only had months to live....she reduced her diabetes to zero through diet......she took control of her health and life and shared what she learned with others in hopes of helping.

May she Rest In Peace and watch us all from above.

59NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 3 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:07 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Just got everything ready for 'Sheet Pan(s)' dinner.....

All ready to go into the oven and get browned up!

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 3 01_09_10

60NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 3 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:52 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I wanted to try out the convection oven on my new stove tonight with the sheet pan dinner. I set the temperature for 450° and I know it automatically drops it to 425° because of the fan. The chicken nuggets were some I had prepped and frozen a while back but they were thawed by the time I put them on the sheet pan and simply sprayed on both sides with PAM.

The potatoes were par-cooked in the microwaved and seasoned with olive oil & a seasoning blend I had left over from my Christmas rib roast. The green beans were blanched for about 4 minutes and then cooled and dried, mixed with the raw mushrooms & seasoned the same as the potatoes.

The chicken was done in under 10 minutes ~ they were fairly thin but that still surprised me. I left the vegetables in a little longer, turned once and everything was nice and crispy in less than 20 minutes.

I'm getting to like this new range more and more!

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 3 01_09_11

61NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 3 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

My mom would do a sheet pan with leftovers like that.
It would be a little of this and that.....
We liked the beans when they crisped up. BTW, there was no covering it with foil.
Tin Foil ( as we called it ), was new, and it was not used all the time. It was considered costly. As a matter of fact, mom would wash and save used foil. Same with waxed paper. We kept foods in the fridge, uncovered. There was no such thing as tupperware in my younger years ( the 50's ) .....

And the ice cubes tasted and smelled like garlic or onions.
#############################################

Supper was Beef stew today.

62NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 3 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:35 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I hear you about the foil.....but I'm a lazy cleaner.....that and when I last bought the aluminum sheet pans I vowed they wouldn't get crusted with grease.

63NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 3 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:10 am

Niagara Visitor

bethk wrote:I hear you about the foil.....but I'm a lazy cleaner.....that and when I last bought the aluminum sheet pans I vowed they wouldn't get crusted with grease.

Regarding the foil, I don't cook on foil.  EVER. All I use it for occasionally is to cover stuff.  And as for saving stuff..............do any of you remember saving the waxed paper that was in cereal boxes? Is it still in the boxes?  I don't eat cereal. That paper always had to be saved at our house.  And, regarding the aluminum pans, I had a very large pan in which I only made chicken wings.  Well, I think it took about 20 years for that pan to get to the point where the wings didn't stick any more.  So, I said to myself, "Self, this pan looks disgusting"  And I threw it away and bought a new one.  I am now about into year 6, and the wings still stick to the new one.  Sigh.  Shoulda kept the old one and decide that the baked on grease crust is beautiful.

64NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 3 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:46 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Niagara Visitor wrote:
bethk wrote:I hear you about the foil.....but I'm a lazy cleaner.....that and when I last bought the aluminum sheet pans I vowed they wouldn't get crusted with grease.

Regarding the foil, I don't cook on foil.  EVER. All I use it for occasionally is to cover stuff.  And as for saving stuff..............do any of you remember saving the waxed paper that was in cereal boxes? Is it still in the boxes?  I don't eat cereal. That paper always had to be saved at our house.  And, regarding the aluminum pans, I had a very large pan in which I only made chicken wings.  Well, I think it took about 20 years for that pan to get to the point where the wings didn't stick any more.  So, I said to myself, "Self, this pan looks disgusting"  And I threw it away and bought a new one.  I am now about into year 6, and the wings still stick to the new one.  Sigh.  Shoulda kept the old one and decide that the baked on grease crust is beautiful.

My mother had an aluminum roaster that had a nice black carbon coating on the inside that took her years to get. Beautifully seasoned. She had to go away for a week and my father's sister came to stay with us. That woman did not like my mother and when she saw that pan, she thought my mother was a bad housekeeper and worked for days with steel wool to remove that coating. When my mother came home and found out what she had done, she almost passed out.

65NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 3 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:11 pm

Niagara Visitor

MY sis is living in our mom's house.  Found a pan lately in the dark recesses of the pantry which she was going to throw way also. It's the pan that mom used to bake three loaves of bread side by side all the time.  It is also well seasoned!

66NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 3 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:09 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We went to lunch with his golf scrambles group....no cooking tonight.

67NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 3 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:14 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Lunch was one of those bread pizzas. Good in a pinch.
Supper was beef vegetable soup. Ground beef little 1/2 inch meatballs and tubettini as a pasta.

Pizza Pic.
NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 3 Img_1320

68NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 3 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina is a
"Foil Wrapaholic!" ............. "What is that??"
It's, she will instead of just cover a casserole, she will wrap the whole thing in foil.
Like a baby wrapped in a blanket. This is one of her "Mother Did It" Thing, and so the theory is, it cooks the food hotter. Duhhhh! HELLOooooo! What???....

My mom used the black or blue porcelain broiler pans, that used to be in the old gas stoves.My dad would go to the junk yards, to find old gas ovens and get the old porcelain pains and bring them home. My mom made the best pizza in those pans. Also oven cooking in them too.

69NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 3 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:48 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

70NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 3 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:50 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

That was funny. Tina watched another on TV; where two teens had no clue of what a note said, written in script ( long hand ) ( cursive ) etc. It was clean clear writing too.

71NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 3 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:03 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I read somewhere that cursive writing was no longer being taught in schools.

72NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 3 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:21 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I read somewhere that cursive writing was no longer being taught in schools.

It is not being taught in our district.
Cooking ( home economics ) is not either.

73NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 3 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:07 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

They probably should teach a life skills/money management class.

I went to Trader Joe's today and bought 2 small cartons of soup for Katie and a loaf of pancake bread. I read about it and wanted to try it. It tastes like maple pancakes. It was good.
I then bought 4 cans of cashews: they were on special 2 for $5. I then bought a collapsible dish tub. I sometimes have things that need a good soak before anything comes of and my sink is one of those large farmhouse sinks that take forever to fill, so I though I would see how the tub works.
I have no idea what to cook for dinner. Joe won't give me the time of day about it, so I just won't cook.

74NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 3 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:32 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane's sister shared a porterhouse steak her son brought back from North Dakota, where he works as a welder ~ he gets to come home for 7 - 10 days every 3 weeks.  The difference in flavor of midwest beef compared to Florida beef was pronounced.  I can't remember the last time we had anything as flavorful and tender, although our Christmas Prime Rib was close.

I made some baked potatoes and steamed broccoli, along with some of the pickled golden beets, to go with the steak ~ and since I was the 'grill master' I figured I was entitled to the tenderloin!  Here are the pics of supper:

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 3 01_11_12

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 3 01_11_11

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 3 01_11_10

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 3 01_11_13

75NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 3 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:01 pm

Niagara Visitor

THat is one great looking steak, and I love to see the bone afterwards.  We raised beef  cattle for a few years.  Totally grain fed, out in the pasture, and I used to go to a local vegetable market and pick up all their cutoffs etc.  Cattle ate only very plain veggies. (hated things like basil or mint among the foods!  
Our customers always said that our beef was the best.  We only had 5 or 6 animals, and hubby became so attached to them, and ended up not wanting to send them to the abbatoir. 

I love a good steak.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum