Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January?

+3
NormM
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 9]

126NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:50 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks for all the good wishes. We had a lovely dinner with friends and, as usual, I forgot to take pics.....

But it was all beautiful and delicious, a wonderful night!

127NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:26 pm

Niagara Visitor

I invited 86 year old uncle for dinner tonight.  Going to make something that his wife used to make, Chicken cordon bleu.  He hasn't had it I think since she died 8 years ago.  I don't see it on restaurant meals here.  He lives only about a ten minute drive from me, but we're having a "major winter storm."  Well, it's only about 4 inches of snow forecast and I don't call that major, but we'll see.  I can change the dinner to tomorrow also.  

There's no moss gathering under this man's feet.  Monday he's going to Cuba for a week, then he'll come back basically to do his laundry then going to Australia.  Good for him, I say.  He can afford it, and is healthy enough to go.

128NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:29 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Your uncle is very fortunate to be healthy in mind and body and can still travel. Australia is a grueling flight. It probably takes at least 14 hours or more from Canada.

My friend's father is 93 and is still active but he doesn't have all of his marbles. He is also rich. He had a Mexican woman working for him and decided he wanted to marry her. She is in her 30's. Can't have that. They own a condo in Belize and shipped him off down there. He is very happy AND if he decides to marry someone who is just after his money, the marriage won't be recognized in the states. Let's just hope he doesn't fly off with her somewhere where they can get married and it will be legal. JEEZ! What a problem.

129NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:45 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I think I'm starting to lose it ~ my memory is for crap! Last night we were talking about how I was to pick up Denise, a neighbor, to go to lunch today. I got up this morning and putzed around in my nightgown for hours, finally got dressed around 10 a.m. I decided to cook 4 of the red beets to make pickled beets and wash the greens for supper tonight.

I had just put the scrubbed beets in a pot on the stove when Dane asked, "what time is your lunch today?".......

OH, CRAP! It was 11:10 and I had told Denise I'd pick her up at 11:00. I asked Dane to keep an eye on the beets and ran in to run a brush through my hair....out to the garage, into the car and picked up poor Denise by 11:15 (she had been standing in front of her villa since before 11, I'm sure). I felt like such a slug. We did, however, make it to the restaurant just at 11:30 where the other 8 ladies were patiently waiting outside for us.

Geesh! What's it going to be like when I'm 80??? (I'm 68....not really old by today's standards.....)

130NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:37 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Braised Pork ~ pork shoulder, seasoned, dredged lightly in flour, browned in olive oil....added some chicken stock about half-way up on the meat and simmered with a lid on the stove top for about 10 minutes.  Then I removed the lid and slid the cast iron skillet into a 375° oven for about 35 - 40 minutes.  Comes out fork tender and doesn't burn.  

Potatoes done just about the same, but with much less stock, just enough to create a bit of steam, and then into the same oven to sit and get tender on the inside and stay a bit crispy on the outside.

Beet greens.....washed really well, multiple times.  Cut stems boiled in salted water until just about tender, then the sliced leaf added and steamed on top for about 10 minutes.  Mixed up to be sure all the greens were tender.  Drained & buttered.

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 01_19_10

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 01_19_11

131NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:01 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Made us burgers on the Cuisinart griddler / grill / panini machine.
I did overcook the burgers. Got sidetracked..... Had sweet hot pickles on the side.

No pictures! ..... L A Z Y .....

132NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:34 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Pizza quattro formaggi (hope that is spelled correctly) for dinner. Joe had pepperoni and italian sausage on his. He is finishing it off with 32oz of gin and tonic. I hate it when he drinks that much. Gin makes him mean.

133NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:43 pm

Niagara Visitor

Bugster2 wrote:Your uncle is very fortunate to be healthy in mind and body and can still travel. Australia is a grueling flight. It probably takes at least 14 hours or more from Canada.

My friend's father is 93 and is still active but he doesn't have all of his marbles. He is also rich. He had a Mexican woman working for him and decided he wanted to marry her. She is in her 30's. Can't have that. They own a condo in Belize and shipped him off down there. He is very happy AND if he decides to marry someone who is just after his money, the marriage won't be recognized in the states. Let's just hope he doesn't fly off with her somewhere where they can get married and it will be legal. JEEZ! What a problem.

Yes,he is very fortunate.  Had him here for dinner tonight for one of what was supposed to be one of his favourite dinners. Chicken cordon bleu which his wife used to make......................... I had everything perfect.  We had a salad, the oven roasted potatoes were done perfectly...................... Frying pan was ready, I had the chicken/cheese/ham all ready, the egg wash and panko ready.................... and then I put the chicken in the hot oil before the egg/panko part.  DUH!

Flavour was good, but it was not "pretty" like I have made them before.  He didn't complain, but then, he never complains about anything. 

He has family in Australia and has been there quite often.  He usually breaks the long flight up by spending a few days in either Fiji or Hawaii.

Last edited by Niagara Visitor on Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling of Fiji!)

134NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:35 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I saw this movie called "Crazy Rich Asians". In the movie was a couple flying to China. They had a stateroom. I had no idea those things existed. Your uncle should fly that way but I am guessing only a Trump could afford it.

135NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:31 am

Niagara Visitor

Stateroom? Yes, he could afford that probably for a few trips, but not forever.  Of course, he is 86 so the chances of going to Australia are becoming fewer and fewer.

136NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:23 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

A stateroom! Can you imagine? What luxury!. I wonder what they do if the plane hits turbulence? Do you have to strap yourself into the bed?

137NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:53 pm

Niagara Visitor

Bugster2 wrote:A stateroom! Can you imagine? What luxury!. I wonder what they do if the plane hits turbulence? Do you have to strap yourself into the bed?

Just for fun, look at these.

https://www.scmp.com/magazines/style/travel-food/article/2119869/five-most-luxurious-first-class-air-suites

138NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:34 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Must be nice if you are flying. I doubt that it would matter much to me because I am terrified of flying, luxury suite or not.

139NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:56 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

My friends, Lyn & Bill, just got back from their Australia / New Zealand cruise. The flight from Houston was non-stop and they had very comfortable 'bed' type seats. They had no complaints at all.

Tonight I fixed Korean BBQ Beef soft tacos. Marinated sliced flap steak all afternoon and then browned in cast iron. Just laid the beef on a warmed flour tortilla and topped with pickled vegetables and shredded lettuce. I didn't hear even one complaint.....I think he liked them.

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 01_20_10

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 01_20_11

140NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:20 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I added hot water to my cast iron skillet after cooking the marinated beef strips. When I went to wash it I found the marinade had crusted on.

Crap....my best Griswald skillet.....my grandma's.

I put some baking soda in the pan and a dryer sheet - saw it on Facebook. I sure hope it works overnight. Fingers crossed.

141NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:09 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

A brisket... Tina cooked it from a recipe. It was dry, and dark like molasses.

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 Img_1323

142NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:32 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Looks good to me! Leftovers could be turned into Italian Beef Sandwiches with lots of onions and peppers.

143NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:17 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:I added hot water to my cast iron skillet after cooking the marinated beef strips. When I went to wash it I found the marinade had crusted on.

Crap....my best Griswald skillet.....my grandma's.

I put some baking soda in the pan and a dryer sheet - saw it on Facebook. I sure hope it works overnight. Fingers crossed.

I use this. I know it is unavailable but you could find something similar. Takes off that crust without taking the seasoning with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D6PS4LI/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

144NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:19 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I was planning on going to Target today but I heard on NextDoor that Target asked everyone to leave their carts and exit the store. Outside were 10 police cars but no lights or sirens. I will call them this morning to make sure they are open.

145NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:35 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Looks good to me!   Leftovers could be turned into Italian Beef Sandwiches with lots of onions and peppers.

Thanks Beth. That's a good idea.

146NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:53 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The dryer sheet worked! Well, either that or the baking soda did....I did both together. Bugs, I've used a razor blade before on my cast iron, just didn't have one handy. The dryer sheet softened everything up and I was able to wash it off, heated it up with a thick layer of grapeseed oil and it's in a 400 degree oven for an hour or so. It should be back to new tonight.

147NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:54 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

So, tell us the recipe for the soda and dryer sheet. Is it only for cast iron?

148NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:56 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:So, tell us the recipe for the soda and dryer sheet. Is it only for cast iron?

No, I think it was for anything but aluminum.....suppose to remove the scorched food. I don't know if it works for everything, but it did work on my cast iron. I just put hot water in the pan, sprinkled on some baking soda and submerged a dryer sheet. Just let it sit. This morning the stuck on stuff was softened enough that I could wash it off with detergent and a Dobie scrubbie pad. Didn't even resort to steel wool.

I have no idea if I got it re-seasoned correctly. But I've had to re-do that before so I know it can be done with some patience and time. I'm just happy my favorite pan is still in the cabinet.

Bill, Lyn's husband, came for supper tonight. He's been on his own while she's been in Cleveland getting her (almost) 100 year old Dad and his wife ready to move into an assisted living facility. They've fought it for years but they just are not able to care for themselves. Bill hasn't been a really happy camper as he's very use to Lyn taking care of everything in the house. He's not too upset about going out to eat 3 meals a day (he seems to like that) but he's had to do his own laundry and that's a chore he'd much rather let her do.

So, to give him a break on eating out again I asked him over for a meatloaf supper with mashed potatoes and his favorite vegetable, red beets.

I even bought a jar of brown gravy because he really likes it. I used a tiny bit and now I remember WHY I don't buy that stuff. LOL

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 01_21_10

149NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:35 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:So, tell us the recipe for the soda and dryer sheet. Is it only for cast iron?

No, I think it was for anything but aluminum.....suppose to remove the scorched food.  I don't know if it works for everything, but it did work on my cast iron.  I just put hot water in the pan, sprinkled on some baking soda and submerged a dryer sheet.  Just let it sit.  This morning the stuck on stuff was softened enough that I could wash it off with detergent and a Dobie scrubbie pad.  Didn't even resort to steel wool.  

I have no idea if I got it re-seasoned correctly.  But I've had to re-do that before so I know it can be done with some patience and time.  I'm just happy my favorite pan is still in the cabinet.

Bill, Lyn's husband, came for supper tonight.  He's been on his own while she's been in Cleveland getting her (almost) 100 year old Dad and his wife ready to move into an assisted living facility.  They've fought it for years but they just are not able to care for themselves.  Bill hasn't been a really happy camper as he's very use to Lyn taking care of everything in the house.  He's not too upset about going out to eat 3 meals a day (he seems to like that) but he's had to do his own laundry and that's a chore he'd much rather let her do.

So, to give him a break on eating out again I asked him over for a meatloaf supper with mashed potatoes and his favorite vegetable, red beets.

I even bought a jar of brown gravy because he really likes it.  I used a tiny bit and now I remember WHY I don't buy that stuff.  LOL

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 01_21_10
Not the gravy I like either.... And, I won't eat chicken or turkey gravy on beef or meatloaf. Actually, I prefer beef / brown gravy on any meat or fowl.

150NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina tackled supper tonight.
The kids and the baby came over for supper too.
Top round sliced thin at the Chester meat market. $$$$ Oh Boy! But good.
Tina bought 15 large steaks so we could have enough....
Fried in the cast iron pan with seasonings, and sliced potatoes fried in cooking oil.
DIL steamed the squash that was spaghetti cut.

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 Img_1324

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 Img_1325

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 6 Img_1326

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum