Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 9]

26 Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? on Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:32 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin
Hey, Jimmy!

Got a question for you. When you and Tina make the cabbage rolls to freeze do you use the raw beef and cooked rice in your cabbage leaves? Do you freeze them without the tomato sauce or do you make them in casserole/dishes and freeze with the sauce to be thawed and baked?

The ladies here want to have a 'cabbage roll' party and all make cabbage rolls to take home.

I've only made them, complete w/baking and then freezing the leftovers. Didn't know if there was another successful method.

27 Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? on Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:12 pm

NormM

NormM
Beth, yes, I have used it at the table several times.  In Korean restaurants, they have a gas grill built in to the table. Some places cook the food for you at the table, other places let you do it yourself.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

28 Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? on Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:34 pm

NormM

NormM

I can't find the grill right now and I have looked all over for it but here is a picture of Charlie using it at the table.  The grate over it is from the BBQ oven outdoors.

29 Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? on Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:21 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin
Wow, and you didn't die from the fumes! It's interesting to me that , from what I've researched, Korean BBQ uses scissors to cut meats,etc. on the table grill. Now I just need to find friends adventurous enough to try it with us.....

30 Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? on Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:27 am

NormM

NormM
That's right about the scissors.  The oven fuel is butane.  It isn't like outdoor propane grills.

31 Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? on Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:03 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2
I had a bag of Andes mint chips so I made some chocolate mint cookies. BLECH! Those Andes mint chips are nasty. They even smell bad. Joe loves mint chocolate chip cookies but I am not sure he will eat these. I am glad I only made a half batch because I think the dough is going in the trash.
New York strip steaks tonight with a recipe called melting potatoes and maybe another wedge salad.

32 Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? on Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:47 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin
I wanted to use the peapods we picked off our patio pot plants. I decided to make orange chicken with the peapods, carrots & onions in a lighter sauce to put over basmati rice. I used one chicken breast half, the normal amount of chicken I use for the two of us for a meal. Somehow, the crispy chicken chunks were more tasty than expected and it was mentioned it would be good to have more.

Oh well, maybe next time! LOL

33 Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? on Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:33 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY
Just got this one yesterday. Great Grill.... little to no smoke, Made great perfect steaks. The Uhh Ugg ? Where to keep it??
Ordered a storage cabinet rubbermaid and it sits on the deck for stuff like this grill. This is shown wide open flat. Can grill 8 burgers easily at one time.

https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-25360-Smokeless-Removable/dp/B00F0RBF3E/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1546833585&sr=1-3&keywords=electric+grill+indoor

This one above; grills with no smoke. The plate and top and drip tray go right in the dishwasher.....

34 Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? on Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:19 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY
bethk wrote:Hey, Jimmy!

Got a question for you.  When you and Tina make the cabbage rolls to freeze do you use the raw beef and cooked rice in your cabbage leaves?  Do you freeze them without the tomato sauce or do you make them in casserole/dishes and freeze with the sauce to be thawed and baked?

The ladies here want to have a 'cabbage roll' party and all make cabbage rolls to take home.  

I've only made them, complete w/baking and then freezing the leftovers.  Didn't know if there was another successful method.

Teeny Tina, uses all ground pork (Butt )and rice usually. She adds beef
for her uncle because they come out softer filling.
With all pork, she adds enough water to the filling to like a mush.
That keeps the filling moist and not tuff.
She fills the cabbage leaves, then freezes on an oiled sheet. When they are frozen solid, she puts them in bags for deep freezing. 6 to 8 per bag. Depending the size.

35 Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? on Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:30 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY
Supper ..... Ho Hum! ....

I made Spaghetti with tuna and bread toasted garlic and bread crumbs.

Tina made meatballs that were frozen, and sauce. She has plans to make a lasagna with the sauce tomorrow. She has extra cheese filling leftover from New years day.

36 Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? on Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:43 am

bethk

bethk
Admin
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Just got this one yesterday. Great Grill.... little to no smoke, Made great perfect steaks. The Uhh Ugg ? Where to keep it??
Ordered a storage cabinet rubbermaid and it sits on the deck for stuff like this grill. This is shown wide open flat. Can grill 8 burgers easily at one time.

This one above; grills with no smoke. The plate and top and drip tray go right in the dishwasher.....

Jimmy....I had one of those Griddler from Cuisinart ~ Lyn had two and gave me one when they moved to The Villages permanently and didn't need both. She used hers much more than I did and she eventually burned hers out. Instead of letting her go purchase another one to replace hers, I gave back the one she gave me.

What she likes is making pancakes on the flat open smooth side of the grill. And she made a lot of panini sandwiches, neither of which I do much. For as many pancakes or grilled cheese sandwiches I make, I can easily use a cast iron pan or stove top griddle. The few times I did make panini sandwiches they were wonderful ~ grilled to golden, crispy perfection on both sides at once! It will also cook burgers on both sides at once, like a George Foreman grill.

And like you said, the grates go into the dishwasher for ease of clean up. Great appliance! You're gonna love it.

BTW, give it a try when you want to brown up a bunch of eggplant or zucchini ~ lots of evenly hot space to get the job done quickly.

37 Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? on Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:24 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2
I also had a Cuisinart. I never tried meat on it but I found it cumbersome and gave it to my niece. You were smart getting one with removable plates that can go in the dishwasher. I know all too well about the outside shed to store appliances. PITA but what can you do? I cleaned out my appliances with this last move and was able to fit everything in a closet. I still have to get rid of my Phillips pasta maker, a KA mixer and a Cuisinart mixer. They are too good and too expensive to give to the Goodwill store. I am hoping I can find someone who needs a mixer. I think I may try and sell the pasta maker on Craigslist.

38 Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? on Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:14 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2
I was looking at my very old copy of Better Homes & Gardens cookbook and came across a blast from the past: Part Loaf Sandwich Cake. Remember those? They had a layer of egg, ham, tuna and whatever salad between layers of bread and frosted with cream cheese. I never had a chance to try one but when I am feeling adventurous I will make one. I think I will just cut the crusts off of some sandwich bread, layer it and frost it. What I don't know is how it gets frosted without the layers sliding around.

39 Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? on Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:55 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin
Made those for bridal and baby showers back in the day. Slice, fill & stack....chill. Then be sure your cream cheese is room temperature and frost. Back in to chill. Slice with an electric knife. Be sure to decorate with sliced green and black olives! LOL

40 Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? on Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin
I asked Dane for an idea for supper......he's useless when it comes to ideas for meals at times. An hour later I started scrolling through the pics on my phone and making suggestions. When I got to Spaghetti Squash with Marinara Sauce he looked up and said, "Yeah, THAT sounds good!"

I did run to the store (it's like 3 minutes to get there on the golf cart....) for a couple fresh bakery rolls. I figured since the 'spaghetti' had no carbs I could get a yeast roll without any flack from the 'Carb Police'. And I added a tossed salad to finish out the meal.

Gotta say, it was pretty good ~ and better than me trying to decide on a meal on my own.

41 Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? on Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:32 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2
bethk wrote:Made those for bridal and baby showers back in the day. Slice, fill & stack....chill. Then be sure your cream cheese is room temperature and frost. Back in to chill. Slice with an electric knife.  Be sure to decorate with sliced green and black olives!  LOL

What kind of fillings did you use?

42 Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? on Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin
Chicken salad, egg salad and ground bologna salad. It WAS in the 1970's after all.......and I was hosting with Dane's grandma. She made a killer ground bologna!

43 Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? on Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:05 pm

NormM

NormM
For dinner tonight we had beef enchiladas, potato skin nachos and peach cobbler.

44 Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? on Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:57 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2
bethk wrote:Chicken salad, egg salad and ground bologna salad.  It WAS in the 1970's after all.......and I was hosting with Dane's grandma. She made a killer ground bologna!

Ground bologna. Well, that is new to me. I will look for a recipe and give it a trial run. Thanks!

45 Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? on Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:02 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin
NormM wrote:For dinner tonight we had beef enchiladas, potato skin nachos and peach cobbler.

I love, Love, LOVE Peach Cobbler! YUM!!!

46 Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? on Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:57 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin
Bugs, it was just bologna ground up in a hand crank grinder, sweet pickle relish and mayonnaise......

47 Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? on Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:34 am

NormM

NormM
Charlie got a 4 pack jar of peaches from Costco and a jar was left over so I used it to make cobbler.

48 Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? on Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:15 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY
NormM wrote:Charlie got a 4 pack jar of peaches from Costco and a jar was left over so I used it to make cobbler.

Gosh Norm & Charlie...... You are both such Peachie Guy's.

49 Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? on Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:49 am

NormM

NormM
Very Happy

50 Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? on Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:22 am

Bugster2

Bugster2
bethk wrote:Bugs, it was just bologna ground up in a hand crank grinder, sweet pickle relish and mayonnaise......

That is what I found out. Some recipes added a hard boiled egg. I ran across a recipe that was different: gherkins, celery, horseradish, cajun seasoning, spicy mustard, mayo, pimentos. I thought it sounded good but I can't eat it with all that spicy stuff in it. I will have to stick with the mild version.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum