Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January?

+3
NormM
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 9]

76NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:07 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I don't usually eat much protein but tonight's steak was especially flavorful. It's probably a good thing it's the only one in my freezer.

My grandpa raised cattle in Nebraska. Corn fed cattle. Good stuff!

(And, yes, the bits off the bone are the dessert after a meal like that!)

77NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:50 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Beautiful steak!

A friend of mine has a farm up in Montana, close to the Canadian border. They grow wheat and a few other things in the summer and raise cattle in the winter. They always have one cow that is specially fed. It eventually gets used for the family. She never knows what cow it is because she couldn't eat it if she did.

78NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:53 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

My sister has a friend who dumped her high paying corporate job and bought a farm. All of her cows are grass fed and my sister, who is lucky enough to be able to purchase meat from her, says it is wonderful. My sister said she would send us some beef for a house warming present but I have yet to see it. The other day she asked if we wanted Omaha steaks instead. I doubt if I will see those.

79NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:59 pm

NormM

NormM

In my opinion, Omaha steaks are over-rated.  When I lived in Junction City, I had easy access to beef like your friends sister raises. There is no comparison.  They cost more though.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

80NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm thinking of making a lemon cake today. If I put a lemon glaze on it I may be able to use one of the lemons off our tree.

81NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:39 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The day turned out beautiful and although it's a bit warm (75°), I decided to bake the lemon cake.

It's cooling now.....

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 4 01_12_10

82NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:52 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The lemon cake looked good n the outside.......I tested and checked the temperature. I thought 200 degrees was the temp for breads and cakes. After I discovered the center of the cake has a sort of "rubbery " texture I started researching. I guess cakes should be closer to 210 - 215 degrees. I think something about the fresh lemon juice and buttermilk had something to do with the texture as well. it's gonna go in the trash.

83NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:47 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I hate it when that happens - all that hard work and ingredients.

84NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:11 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I look at it like a science experiment gone awry........at least I learned something........well, that and I wasn't making it for anything special. IF it had turned out good I would have shared it. But now it's in the trash can and Dane and I are the only ones to know I'm NOT a baker today.

85NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:44 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I bought a package of Oreo's the other day. I was going to make this dessert with them. I went to gather all of the ingredients today but I couldn't find the Oreo's. I found the EMPTY package out in the garage. Joe found them and polished off the package. Next time I will hide them.

My cat Smidge has never had a bath in his 11 years. Every spring I give him a buzz cut and let his tongue do the work. For the past couple of years his coat has become greasy and so i decided to clip his fur and give him his first bath. He was pretty good about the whole thing but freaked out when I tried to use the blow dryer. It didn't matter. Smidge's grease is like lanolin. It is waterproof. I used Dawn and cat shampoo. He wasn't drying and had matted. I had to shave off another layer of fur and re-bathe him. I don't know if he is any cleaner. I am worn out from it. I guess I will keep bathing him until his fur is clean. Poor cat. He has had a rough week. It all started with the first clipping. We discovered that Smidge's dew claws had grown into the foot pads. I clipped them out but the pads were pretty torn up. A trip to the vet and $400 dollars later we were back home. Smidge was miserable with a huge bandage on one paw. He finally shook it loose a few days later. Blood work was fine which is good. A Shot of antibiotics and the pads are healing nicely. We will now be checking his claws every 3 months or so to make sure it never happens again.

86NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've been hungry for ham and finally picked one up the other day. I didn't really want 6 1/2 pounds of ham but the only thing I can find in a small boneless ham is sliced....super thin sliced. I prefer to bake my ham low and slow, sometimes even in the crockpot, and I want to slice it myself. I think the presliced ones get dry and tasteless when they're heated through. JMO

Then I decided to go "southern" and make blackeyed peas and collards to go with it. Wonder if I have any Jiffy mix to go with it??

87NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:00 pm

Niagara Visitor

I have never given a cat a bath.  

Making stuffed peppers again today for son and dil.  I'm surprised that my smoke alarm hasn't gone off yet.

88NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:36 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Niagara Visitor wrote:I have never given a cat a bath.  

Making stuffed peppers again today for son and dil.  I'm surprised that my smoke alarm hasn't gone off yet.

Giving a cat a bath is not easy. It usually takes two of us to do it. Smidge was pretty good about it. My old cat Cleo, turned into a raging tornado - teeth, claws everywhere. We tried once and decided just to shave her once a year and let her tongue do the work. She would have taken out an eye. Sometimes cats are so bad and so matted that a vet has to knock them out to get the job done.

89NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:04 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

My sweet cat, Skeeter, was pretty good about bath time. Of course, we started when he was a kitten so he got pretty use to it (he lived to the ripe old age of 18). The key for us was to put about 2" of warm water in the bathtub (yes, in the same bathtub we showered in.....it got cleaned before and after the cat's bath). Once we found where he was hiding....how he figured out he was getting a bath and knew to hide was beyond us ~ we never told him ahead of time! ~ and he got stood in the water, he would spend the first 5 minutes shaking first one paw and then another trying to get the water off. By then we had him soaked down and started with the shampoo.

We never needed to use a hair dryer ~ only gave baths in the summer and he got pretty dry with a couple towels.

Tonight I made ham, black eyed peas, collards and the Jiffy corn casserole ~ the one with nibblet corn, creamed corn and sour cream. It's pretty good if you like sweet corn bread.

Just as I picked up my phone to take a pic I got a text from the young woman who bought our house in Ohio. She was wondering if there was a 'trick' to getting the fireplace to light. So, I forgot to take a pic.

You've all seen it before ~

90NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:47 pm

NormM

NormM

Dinner was quick and easy. Just steak and hash browns.NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 4 20190113

91NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:15 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yum! Hash browns!

92NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:24 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

joe wants a grilled steak and a wedge salad. I found a package of Green Giant cheesy broccoli and rice I will add to the meal. I am trying to eat down the freezer. We are going to be eating a lot of chicken.LOL.

93NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:16 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Todays supper was a scrambled up deal. Started with soup that was leftover.
Then, cookies and cupcakes to hold us over.
Then calamari and shrimp over zucchini shreds that DD made.
DD then made cooked oatmeal, and she had a dish of that.

Dessert was a cup of butter pecan ice cream....

It was like Sunday in the Twilight Zone! .... dulu lu lu du lu lu lu....

94NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:17 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

The Green Giant broccoli & rice was dry and inedible and went right into the trash.
Joe's wedge salad was very nice and we have a leftover steak for tonight. I am going to make a broccoli tortellini chicken casserole.

Katie wanted me to install a Bank of America app on her phone. So, I try to install it and she has no idea what her Apple password is. I dig out an old password book and find one for her, but it doesn't work. So, I try and reset her password only she can't answer the security questions correctly. I give up. It will require a call to Apple or a trip to the Apple store, which of course will never happen. I doubt that the tech would want to work on her phone anyway. It is filthy. Her laptop is in the same condition.

95NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:05 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:The Green Giant broccoli & rice was dry and inedible and went right into the trash.
Joe's wedge salad was very nice and we have a leftover steak for tonight. I am going to make a broccoli tortellini chicken casserole.

Katie wanted me to install a Bank of America app on her phone. So, I try to install it and she has no idea what her Apple password is. I dig out an old password book and find one for her, but it doesn't work. So, I try and reset her password only she can't answer the security questions correctly. I give up. It will require a call to Apple or a trip to the Apple store, which of course will never happen. I doubt that the tech would want to work on her phone anyway. It is filthy. Her laptop is in the same condition.

That is a pain! I had to retrieve and re password Tina's phone to get apps through apple. It takes strict concentration too.

96NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:48 pm

Niagara Visitor

bethk wrote:The lemon cake looked good n the outside.......I tested and checked the temperature. I thought 200 degrees was the temp for breads and cakes. After I discovered the center of the cake has a sort of "rubbery " texture I started researching. I guess cakes should be closer to 210 - 215 degrees. I think something about the fresh lemon juice and buttermilk had something to do with the texture as well.   it's gonna go in the trash.

Too bad.  However, I thought that cakes are generally baked at 325-350 F

97NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:45 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was referring to the temperature of the finished product.....it bakes at 325 - 350 F. but the internal temperature should be higher than the 200 F. breads test at. I've gotten use to using a Thermapen thermometer instead of relying on a "clean" toothpick or bounce-back when touched with a finger.

98NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:23 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Beth, I have done the same thing, meaning I have researched what the finished temperature should be. What started me off was a recipe a friend gave me for key lime pie. I think it was bake for 10 to 12 minutes. I thought there was no way the pie would be set and I was right. It ended up baking for 25 minutes till the middle temp was something like 140. I have done the same thing and found the correct temps for cheesecakes, bread, creme brulee, pecan pie, cod, salmon etc.

99NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:46 pm

Niagara Visitor

bethk wrote:I was referring to the temperature of the finished product.....it bakes at 325 - 350 F. but the internal temperature should be higher than the 200 F. breads test at.  I've gotten use to using a Thermapen thermometer instead of relying on a "clean" toothpick or bounce-back when touched with a finger.
OOOOPs, just more proof that I am definitely not much of a baker. LOL

100NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:08 am

NormM

NormM

We had chili last night.NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 4 20190114

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum