Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

March 2018,... What's for dinner ???

+4
Niagara Visitor
Bugster2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 12]

251March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:39 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Norm wrote:New England Clam Chowder from Sienna 2011

This sounded good, Norm. I found the spice mixture very interesting, too.

Another dish I've never made for obvious reasons. Love, love, love it, though, and always had some whenever we traveled to the Cape. I think I mentioned before that when traveling to the Cape in approximately the last 25 years, we'd fly into Providence, RI, to pick up a rental car and drive the hour to the Cape (so much easier than going through Logan). I made sure on each visit that we stopped in at Legal Seafood in Providence where I'd have a bowl of Fish Chowder. It wasn't on their menu but Brian's sister turned me onto it and said you just had to ask for it. Now THAT was delicious -- had never had it before then, too.

Thanks for the recipe, Norm. I had one saved but I saved this too just in case it ever comes up that I make it. Super for vegetarian visitors, too, which we occasionally have.

252March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:43 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:The cookies look yummy......the sausages look REALLY tasty.........and how is it Ms. Tina looks younger and more beautiful every time you post a pic of her?????

Amazing!

I planned on saying the same thing and then I saw Beth's message, Jimmy. You can tell Tina is feeling better -- I think that's why she looks so good, don't you? She looks at least a decade, maybe a bit more, younger than the pictures you posted of her a couple of years ago. Please tell her how good she looks and how her hair looked pretty, too, okay?

253March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:58 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:I make seafood chowder a lot.  I started out with a  clam chowder recipe very similar to this one, but have never boiled the potatoes first.  I peel, and dice (med-large) the potatoes, sometimes cook them separately, but use the cooking water in the chowder.   I like to make my own fish stock, sometimes using the carcasses of fish that my sons caught, or lately I found a grocery store that sells the heads of fresh salmon for next to nothing, and I make stock from those.  I like to use a small bag of frozen seafood "critters" in the chowder.

My seafood chowder, like my potato salad is generally a spontaneous dish.  Use what you have on hand, but that is after many years of practicing.

Sounds delicious, too, Lore. Loved how you use the potato water, as I'd do that, too. I sure miss the days when you could ask for stuff like fish heads, beef bones and things like that at the store -- they almost always just gave it to you free of charge, too. I'd gladly pay for them today but of course, most of the meat most groceries sell comes pre-cut for the most part.

I also miss having a "real" butcher in every store -- people who would bone a whole chicken for you, butterfly anything you wanted butterflied, remove the chine bone from a rib roast, etc. I think I told the story of asking the "butcher" (a/k/a the man who worked in the meat department) to butterfly a London broil I'd picked up. He looked like a deer caught in the headlights and first said, after quite a long delay, "They're kind of busy back here" (I could hear a pin drop back there so I just stood there smiling). He then said, "I'll give it a try." He seemed all excited when he came out and handed it to me, saying, "Boy, I hadn't done that in years!" I could tell right away that I could've done a better job but said, "Wow, it looks fantastic. Thanks so much for saving me the time." I hoped my comments helped him get his confidence back prior to the next customer asking him to do such a simple task. Plus I was grateful, too, that he'd tried.

Now if I was to go to Whole Foods or another of two owner-owned gourmet groceries in N.O., they have real butchers who can not only do just about anything, but those types of things are out in the meat cases already done! But of course, you pay a lot more for everything in those stores, particularly meat. I usually reserve those funds for a special dinner or a holiday if I go there at all these days.

254March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:04 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:I have become the driver and tour guide for some of the older ladies here also.  Being so close to Niagara Falls, I have taken some on what I call the "Tourist route"  I did so much of that years ago with family who came from Germany, I could get a job doing it.  Niagara Parks issues an annual parking pass for a locally owned vehicle for $50.  Just to park near the falls is normally $20-$25/day in the season.  For $50. I can park there all year.There are many other attractions where I can park with that pass, one of them being a fabulous greenhouse.  I also get an annual pass for that, and a couple of other attractions.  

My older friends really appreciate it.  

Oh, I forgot, this is a "what's cooking today? thread.  I just finished a fabulous cajun catfish filet and some small oven roasted potatoes.  Yumm!!!

Back at you, Lore, as I too find off topic interesting. Kudos to you for doing that and being so smart to get the parking pass.

We have some wonderful catfish down here, too!

255March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:08 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Boring day.....boring supper.......same old - same old.......

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 03_26_10

It's not boring when it tastes good, Beth. Looks good, too -- nothing touching!  

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 2876911673

256March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:10 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:[size=16]I loved the stories and all. Loved the picture in my mind of sitting and looking at the mississippi. So relaxing. Michelle, can't wait to see the pics once you get the camera rejuvenated.

Sadly, Jimmy, the camera is brand new -- it's yours truly who needs rejuvenating!! Embarassed

257March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:23 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Ohio in the summer is hot, humid, mosquitos the size of bats.......I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to this whole ordeal!  LOL

I'd have never dreamed that it was hot and especially humid. We've got skeeters, of course, and cockroaches the size of Argentina!  And some of them fly, too!  You've never seen me move faster than when a cockroach is spotted -- I'm scared to death of them. Not literally scared but I would have a panic attack if one landed on me. Whenever I've spotted one inside over the years, Brian says that I scream like Charles Manson has me by the ankle!  

bethk wrote:I'm thinking two months with the two of us working full time to clean & repair ~ I know Robin & Ben have full time jobs and Jake and I've seen the inside of our house......they try to keep up but it's just not a priority with so much else on their plates.  But at least we'll be on the downward slope and have that bright light at the end of the tunnel to spur us on.

You're very kind, Beth, to look at it like that. I'm always stunned when I look at photos of houses for sale in our area (on our old realtor's website) as the vast majority of people don't even pick up their junk that is dragging all around the house -- I'm no Nancy Neatnik but I would rather be boiled in hot oil than have pictures of my home posted if all my rooms were so messy. I'm always trying to get Brian to look with me, in an effort to show him that we do pretty well keeping things up when compared to the masses. I know the realtor must be appalled when she shows up to take pictures and her clients' houses look like that! Rooms look so much roomier when they're tidy, an asset of course when you've got your house on the market.

bethk wrote:Dane has suggested if I get tired or, more than likely, SICK & TIRED, that I can always fly back without a problem and return after I've rested a bit.

Now THAT is a good husband. Brian wouldn't dare tell me that as he'd know darn well I wouldn't be flying back!!!

258March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:01 pm

NormM

NormM

I have a reprint of a 1939 book called Long Island Seafood Cook Book that has a lot of chowder recipes. Not all of them are clam chowder and they are interesting but more modern recipes usually sound as good or better. The problem is getting good seafood in Kansas. One of my favorite fish stew is cioppino which I think is a West Coast dish.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

259March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:  One of my favorite fish stew is cioppino which I think is a West Coast dish.

I read the restaurant review column here regularly, mainly just for the grins & giggles. There was mention of cioppino being served someplace and the poster said it was seafood in marinara and had mushy pasta in it ~ ahhhhh, I do NOT think that's even close to what a cioppino is suppose to be. But I guess you can call a dish any name if it's yours. Just don't be surprised when someone complains!

One of my 'pet peeves' is when I order Eggs Benedict (I love a good one!) and it arrives and the hollandaise sauce is a cheese sauce and the waiter tries to convince me that it's 'right'.

Gross.

260March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:32 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm sorry for all the people who are still battling cold weather. Ours has been beautiful!

So tonight I made a sunny day meal ~ BLT's with potato salad. YUM!

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 03_28_10

It was almost too large to fit in my mouth.......ALMOST.

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 03_28_11

261March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:00 pm

NormM

NormM

Once in Junction City there was a fancy banquet that cost a good bit and was billed as being made by a top chef. I bought a couple tickets because they had gumbo on the menu. What happened was a caterer made the dishes and the chef provided the recipes. I could not find the gumbo anywhere and when I asked where it was, the server pointed to a bowl of okra. When I went back to my table, I overheard someone remarking how good the gumbo was and I looked. She was eating okra.

When I was in California, I had cioppino at a nice restaurant on the beach and had it while watching the sun set on the Pacific Ocean. It was really good but at home I found that the view doesn't travel with it.

262March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:07 pm

NormM

NormM

A while back I read that Italian Alfredo is not at all like it is in America. I saw the Italian recipe on Facebook today and gave it a try. The sauce is only pasta water, butter and Parmigiano Reggiano. No cream. It was lighter tasting and good but the pasta water as the recipe stated was too salty. I'll cut it in half next time.

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 20180325

263March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:55 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I'm sorry for all the people who are still battling cold weather.  Ours has been beautiful!

So tonight I made a sunny day meal ~ BLT's with potato salad.  YUM!

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 03_28_10

It was almost too large to fit in my mouth.......ALMOST.

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 03_28_11

I would be sure your fingers were out of the way when chomping down on that thick sandwich. I alway wiggle my fingers when biting down on an over loaded sandwich. If I tickle my tongue, I know not to close those Jaws!

264March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:08 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had the spaghetti with chili spooned on top. It was ok, but tiring and boring. I took my second helping without chili, but I through the spaghetti in a frying pan, with butter and oil, and fried it to crisp up the spaghetti on the edges. A little salt, and I ate it like eating pop corn. With my fingers! Oh, what a different taste, and great.

265March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:02 am

Niagara Visitor

One of my pet peeves, OK two, are people who say Borscht is always beet soup............ Borscht is the original Russian word for soup.  Any soup.................... and then, Greek salad.................. restaurants which call their salad  a Greek salad because they add Feta and olives to the lettuce(s).  A real Greek salad has no lettuce, it has tomatoes, onion, olives, cucumber, feta and the dressing.   

And, speaking, or typing about Greek, I am going to make a lamb roast for Easter dinner.

266March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Andrea & Tori are going to be here in a couple hours. I spent the morning finishing up the last of the straightening up and cleaning bathrooms.....usual stuff. I had just finished my shower when there was a knock at the door.....

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 03_29_10

Jacob! We were so surprised! He came to Florida with his Dad to visit his dad's grandfather who is in the hospital in New Port Richey and they were on their way back to Ohio when Jake talked his dad into taking a short detour so he could surprise us. The biggest surprise was that his dad DID stop at our house.....but I thanked him for being so nice. Jake was only here for about an hour but it was fun seeing him and getting caught up on all he's up to. School is good (he's got all A's) and he's busy with Track training now that Wrestling is over. He's looking forward to either coming here this summer for a few weeks or seeing us when we're in Ohio.

267March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:50 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

What a great surprize Beth..... I'll bet you packed some goodies for the remainder of the trip to Ohio.

268March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:What a great surprize Beth..... I'll bet you packed some goodies for the remainder of the trip to Ohio.

Surprisingly, even though he did a quick review of the pantry and only wanted some Goldfish Crackers, he didn't want anything else! He did, however, ask, "What did you cook for supper last night, Grandma?" I lied and told him crab legs & lobster tails......LOL But Grandpa said we had BLT's with home grown tomatoes (Jake only likes toast and bacon sandwiches.....no lettuce and no tomato, thank you very much.

I snapped a pic of him with Grandpa and that's when we discovered he's taller than Grandpa!

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 03_29_11

We had a wait for supper (no big surprise since it's the end of "The Season" here in The Villages) so Tori & I sat by the lake and took a selfie ~

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 03_29_12

Supper was good, but we were all starving so we ordered appetizers, had dinner salads and when our meals arrived......we were all pretty well filled up. So, we brought most home. Hopefully someone will eat part of it this weekend.

269March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:05 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:What a great surprize Beth..... I'll bet you packed some goodies for the remainder of the trip to Ohio.

Surprisingly, even though he did a quick review of the pantry and only wanted some Goldfish Crackers, he didn't want anything else!  He did, however, ask, "What did you cook for supper last night, Grandma?"  I lied and told him crab legs & lobster tails......LOL  But Grandpa said we had BLT's with home grown tomatoes (Jake only likes toast and bacon sandwiches.....no lettuce and no tomato, thank you very much.

I snapped a pic of him with Grandpa and that's when we discovered he's taller than Grandpa!

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 03_29_11

We had a wait for supper (no big surprise since it's the end of "The Season" here in The Villages) so Tori & I sat by the lake and took a selfie ~  

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 03_29_12

Supper was good, but we were all starving so we ordered appetizers, had dinner salads and when our meals arrived......we were all pretty well filled up.  So, we brought most home.  Hopefully someone will eat part of it this weekend.

Tori is such a grownup now! God Bless Her! And Jake is a stretch. God Bless Him. He looks over 6 feet in that pic.

And everytime I fry eggs, I think of Jake. One fried hard, and One Dippy Egg. You know what? They do taste different from each other.

My Maria called me this evening, and asked,Question  "Dad, How come we cant eat chicken on Friday, but we can eat Eggs?" No  ......( we abstain from meat on good friday )
I told her, because the Devil Says So!" ....... Evil or Very Mad

My kids, and Granddaughter will only eat Bacon and Toast sandwiches, or Taco's with meat and cheese only. Never do they eat Onions, tomatoes, or lettuce. Period.

270March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:44 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Ate a cheese sandwich... Something light, because the stomach was queasy today.
Tina had pork and cabbage filling; steamed dumplings. Dunked in soy sauce.

I opened a new thread / post for "Easter 2018 ...Anything Cooking ?"

https://cookingfriends.forumotion.com/t1466-easter-2018-anything-cooking#32464

271March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:54 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had a fun day in Mt. Dora ~ Andrea had made reservations to go to The Windsor Rose Tea Room for 'High Tea'. We had tea sandwiches; cucumber & cream cheese, pimento cheese, egg salad and ham & cranberry, scones with clotted cream & strawberry jam, pastries and a cake with raspberry filling. And little pots of tea. It was WAY too much (we should have ordered for two people instead of three.....). Everything was good, the scones were really interesting and not like the scones we make. They seemed to have a yeast bread/Irish Soda Bread combination with currents ~ dense but very tasty. Tori liked the cucumber sandwiches the best (no surprise there).

After 'Tea' we walked around the shops and looked at some of the unique little places and all they offer for sale. One shop had little desk plaques, like name plates that we use to see. One said, "I'm not Bossy. I'M THE BOSS". My favorite said, "I'm silently correcting your grammar".

Hahahahahahaha ~ I wish I could remember some of the others. We just laughed and laughed.

We stopped at Winn Dixie on the way home to get the promised crab. Surprisingly, it was sale priced (down to $9/lb). I picked up a 3+ lb. bag ($33....not too bad for 3 of us) and when we got home and started to look at it decided to only cook half and put the other half in the freezer. Tori and I made a Pea Pod, Radish & Orange Salad.......had to use up the pea pod harvest!

We made a light vinegarette from orange juice, rice vinegar, honey, a few drops of sesame oil, soy sauce and evoo. It was surprisingly very tasty with the blanched pea pods.

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 03_30_10

The crab came to the table 'In The Pot' so it would stay hot.

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 03_30_11

And Tori ripped into her dinner!

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 03_30_12

272March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:51 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

On the way home from Mt. Dora yesterday we stopped at Costco to pick up a few things (I like their laundry detergent) and, of course, I had to look at the meat counter. I was tempted to get a whole PRIME brisket (it was only about $45 for a huge Hunk-O-Beef) but decided it was just too much for me to deal with. But I got sucked in with this package of Beef Loin Flap Steak......it looked so good to me and I decided it could be grilled for a steak dinner, marinated to become Asian Lettuce Wraps or Fajitas.

It was a little pricier than I normally spend on beef but under $30 for probably 6 - 8 meals for the two of us.....not that terrible.

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 03_30_13

Beef Loin Flap Steak (I had to google it on my phone just to be sure before I bought it) is cut from the bottom sirloin. It's commonly used to make carne asada (which I've never made) and in Hispanic markets is sometimes called steak ranchero.

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 03_30_14

273March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:11 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

We have been eating the "same ol' same ol'" for the last couple of days. Last night I grilled a cowboy ribeye steak for Joe. It really is amazing how much is inedible on a ribeye. It really is just the center. I love to suck on the crust of the fat but I would never chew and swallow it. We had a small baked potato with sour cream and chives and some roasted asparagus covered with mozzarella and parmesan. Tonight is leftover spaghetti.
A couple of days ago I made my first ever batch of peanut brittle. Katie thought it was wonderful and ate most of it. Last night I gave English toffee a try. It tastes good but for some reason sticks in my teeth. I have been trying to see if there is a recipe that doesn't stick to your teeth, and there are, but I like toffee made with brown sugar. I tastes different from brittle.
My sister ran over her cat yesterday and none of us has recovered from the trauma. She was buried in the yard along with several other cats they have owned. The problem is that she and her family aren't quite up to snuff in (in our opinion) in protecting their cats. She lets them outside and eventually they either fall in the water and drown, get eaten by a coyote, or now, get run over. I am still sick from it this morning.

We have been looking at real estate for sale online. You would think you could buy a house for $900,000 out here that is a decent size, at least 2000sqft but guess what folks you can't. That means that we will either have to move inland or to the last affordable beach city down here where we can get a house for $700,000 but we also get some scuzzy people and gangs. Temecula is very nice but Joe really doesn't want to live there. There isn't much to do and the beach is an hour away.

274March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:56 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Norm, you seem to smoke a lot of brisket. I have never done one. My sister has smoked a few but complains that hers get too dry. Do you have any tips that I can tell her to keep it moist?

275March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:45 pm

NormM

NormM

This is the best guide to smoked brisket I know about.  He uses the same kind of smoker that I do except mine is smaller.  Trimming properly is important.  Most grocery stores trim off all or almost all fot the fat and that will make it dry out in the smoker but is ok for the slow cooker.  Slow cooker brisket is nothing like smoked though. Keeping the heat low is another important factor and then there is time. A brisket takes a long long time to break down the collagen and become really juicy and tender.  If you just cook it until it is done, it will be tough and dry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU

and then the smoker part.. 3 ways. I wrap it in foil because i don't usually have access to that much butcher paper.

http://video.klru.tv/video/2365494916/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum