Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

March 2018,... What's for dinner ???

+4
Niagara Visitor
Bugster2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 12]

226March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 10 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:57 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:Out for lunch with my son today, I had a crab "burger" on a pretzel bun and a great salad.  And a wine spritzer. YUMM!  Fisherman son occasionally calls about a lunch out.  One day he said that I'm sometimes more fun to go out with than his wife, because I'll go to any restaurant he likes, and I'm willing to try anything.  He's very adventuresome, Lisa is not.  Burger was great, big, salad came home for supper.

I know just what he means, Lore, as I eat just about anything. There are certain things I'm not crazy about (Indian food comes to mind -- too much soft texture stuff) but I can always find something I want to order no matter what restaurant I go to. Of course, it's kind of hard to find a bad meal here unless one goes to a chain restaurant -- something that always amazes me in a city full of tons of restaurants, from the fanciest to the very small ones or ones that serve only take out food as they have no room for tables! Why anyone would go to a chain even every so often puzzles me -- my husband and his wife like Appleby's and I call the food they serve "dollhouse food" -- it looks really nice when they bring the platter full of it but it tastes like you're chewing something that was made of dried up sawdust, with no flavor or seasonings whatsoever. Of course, my SIL is a terrible cook, really terrible. And to say she's not adventurous is a gross understatement!

When I worked out in Metairie years ago, a suburb of New Orleans, often a group of women at the firm I worked for would ask me if I wanted to join them for lunch. When they said they were going to such and such chain, I would tell them I'd pass, as I didn't care for the food there. I can't tell you how often the reply was, "Yeah, I know but they really give you a lot!" Another mind boggling phrase, as who the heck wants A LOT of bad food! I'd rather pick up a burger or a chicken sandwich at a Ralley's or other fast food burger joint than eat in one of those chains, as I end up shaking my head at what my share of a lousy meal came to! I always think something like, "Man, I could've spent less and bought a chuck roast or a Boston butt and we could've eaten it and the leftovers for probably 3 days.

227March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 10 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:01 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Thanks Beth. It is a ribeye and that's my favorite steak too.

Add Brian and me to that list as we love 'em, too.

228March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 10 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:02 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

cookingirl wrote:I had spinach tortellini soup for the past couple nights.. really easy to make--so good.

I found the original recipe, but thought it was too bland. It was just not hearty enough; so, I tweaked it. I added some onion powder, simmered it longer than required to soften the diced tomatoes, adding also adding some tomato paste to make it heartier..

Came out really good. Fresh spinach and basil were added with the tortellini, at the end of cooking.

Sounds good, C. Nice to see you cooking again!

229March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 10 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:25 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I have found that Costco has whole briskets for a lot less than grocery stores.  You have to get a whole one but you can always cut it up and freeze part of it.

I've never been to Costco, Norm. I prayed they would open one here, like I prayed for Trader Joes to come here. Costco has been here for years and it's probably only 20 minutes away during off traffic hours but I always figure I'd never go enough to justify the membership. My late sister's husband Ed has a membership and I've always meant to ask to go with him when he goes so I can pick up a few things and actually see what they've got. Have always been told if you like to grill or smoke meat, Costco's is where it's at for bargains.

And Trader Joe's opened in Metairie last year but I haven't taken the plunge yet either. I hate driving to Metairie as it's subdivision city and poorly planned growth so the traffic is horrendous and the drivers drive even worse than in the city, which is not saying much. I have no excuse there, though, as no membership required!

Like you suggested, I have no problem buying a whole brisket and freezing part of it. Or we just cook the whole thing, freeze part of the cooked dish and then enjoy the current dish for a couple of days. I think Brian and I are the only ones who like leftovers amongst this group -- we like everything the next day and though we enjoy cooking, it's so nice knowing we've got something dynamite already made and ready to enjoy after reheating. I used to wonder why Beth had such a hard time coming up with something interesting to make but then once I realized she cooks just about every single night, I got it! And with something like brisket, it's so easy to do something different with the already cooked brisket if you've got a mind to.

I made meatballs (cooked 13 and froze 11) and a giant pot of marinara sauce. We had it a couple of nights (it was a super batch), I gave Al, my "cabana boy," a container with 3 meatballs and probably 1-1/2 cups of sauce and had the rest of the sauce left in the fridge to be frozen with only 2 meatballs left. So the other night, I wasn't very hungry and just wanted some grits and butter (the only thing I had all day) but sliced up those 2 meatballs, toasted one of those big hamburger buns with seeds on top from the 2 left in the bag, and made Brian a meatball sandwich for dinner. He said he only wanted one meatball on it but I ignored him and used both along with a slice of Swiss cheese. He ate that thing like he hadn't eaten in days and raved about it the next day. Funny, as I hadn't seen him finish a bun that size for years, no matter what was inside it.

He's lost a lot of weight over the past couple of years and is just too thin now -- I worry about him if he gets sick. The two of us have been picking up a lot of candy and stuff for him to at least maintain his weight as even if he's not hungry at dinner, he never passes up desserts so I've been picking it up as often as I can for him. Al keeps dropping off a box of Girl Scout cookies, too, for Brian as he knows Brian loves his sweets at night. Well, though he's been maintaining his weight, I've been helping him eat the sweets at night, too. Yours truly hadn't been weighing myself lately (with my disease, I'm supposed to do it every morning) but when I got on the scale, I just about died when I saw I'd gained 6 pounds! Though my PH doctor would've loved it, I like the way I look now and my clothes fit nicely where I am so I immediately stopped indulging on his candy and set out to lose the 6 pounds. I've got three more to go, though I could not resist eating several of the Peppermint Patties he had a bag of last night. I tell him to keep the goodies on his bedside table and don't dare put them anywhere near me. Once I eat one, the trouble starts!

230March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 10 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:03 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Major off-topic post here but then I'm sure you're all used to me doing that!

It was a super day yesterday, as Al installed our all electric Stairlift!  There was a safety switch on the bottom of the seat that was broken but Al called the company and though I have to arrange to have it replaced (the whole seat) on Monday, he was told the only thing the safety switch prevented was to stop the lift from moving if the chair was facing the end of the stairway and not the opposite rail side of the stairway. So he put it on anyway and it goes so far up and so far down the stairway that neither of us need to twist the chair to get in or out of it. I also remembered last night that I'd paid an extra $210 to get a chair with an arms that raise and a 19-inch wide seat instead of the 16-inch one that comes with it.  It's funny what one thinks of about 3 a.m. when you're an insomniac!  

When he finished installing the thing, which took him about 4 hours, not bad for someone who'd never done it before, it wouldn't run. Talk about teed off!  Man, I could hear him mumbling to himself out there and, of course, there was no technical people working on Saturday. I heard a humming a couple of minutes later and went out there and it was working like a charm. He said he read the user's manual (a couple of pages of instructions for operating) and saw how occasionally the steel cable will lose its tension -- you just grab the cable and pull it up until you hear a click, and that was all it took.

Brian was on the balcony so Al told me to call him and tell him he wanted to see if the chair was in a good position for him. Brian came in and sat on it and was saying it was fine and that's when Al (he's a big kid just like Brian) pushed the "call switch" on the wall and started sending Brian down.  Of course, it had the desired effect and Brian thought for a second he was going to tumble down the stairs. The two of them (and me, too, I admit, mainly cause he didn't play his trick on ME!) laughed like little kids.

It is not only wonderful but is a freaking life saver for Miss 9 cracked vertebrae and Mister stenosis of the spine with prostate cancer on his spine -- our stairs are so steep and have deep risers, too. Brian came downstairs for dinner with a smile on his face last night, I got coffee and breakfast this morning and brought it up the stairs with a smile on my face (and got us a second cup later, too), he sent laundry up this afternoon and he's making dinner (a potpie for me and a leftover half a poor boy for him) and drinks and is going to bring it up to me, as I'm having a no energy day (disease-related). He made instant pudding while he was downstairs and just sent up two stemless wineglasses of pudding up on the seat for me to put in the little fridge we have in the guest room.  We're just in seventh heaven over this thing -- it's truly a lifesaver and means the two of us can stay in this house until we croak, which is just what we wanted, especially considering all the things we've done to it lately and are still doing to it and the money we've spent doing it, too!

We love our house so much and our view of the Mississippi River from our balcony is too die for and so very relaxing too. Now that we're retired and can indulge ourselves whenever we want to by going out there, Brian said there was NO WAY he was selling this house. It's just mind boggling to sit here and see a ship as cruise ships and working ships pass about 300 yards from your balcony. Everyone who steps out there always says, "Oh, wow, this is amazing!" And after almost 20 years here, we still think that when WE go our there, as we've never tired of it.

Plus the levee is right in front of us (we call it our huge green front yard that the Parish mows for us) so there's always dog walkers, people on bicycles, rollerblades, skateboards, joggers, and the occasional people heading down to the batture to fish. Right now the levee is so high that downriver from our house about a half-mile I see people sitting on the TOP of the levee in folding chairs fishing!  It's truly a lovely place to live and we were blessed to find this house 20 years ago and we're blessed now to have our stairlift and know we can each die here!  

One day I'll take that camera out of the box that I bought almost two years ago and take some photos for you guys!  

Thanks for listening to my off topic meanderings...  Very Happy  Laughing  Laughing  Rolling Eyes

231March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 10 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:22 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

How wonderful you got the stair lift installed with relative ease ~ oh, sure, there were a couple minor glitches, but that's the way it is with new stuff.

Personally, I would have thought an escalator would have been more convenient, but.....to each their own!

LOL

232March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 10 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:55 am

Niagara Visitor

Off topics are generally very interesting.  Good for you.  Have fun on your lift.

233March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 10 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:29 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Boring day.....boring supper.......same old - same old.......

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 10 03_26_10

234March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 10 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:00 pm

Niagara Visitor

Crybaby wrote:Major off-topic post here but then I'm sure you're all used to me doing that!

It was a super day yesterday, as Al installed our all electric Stairlift!  There was a safety switch on the bottom of the seat that was broken but Al called the company and though I have to arrange to have it replaced (the whole seat) on Monday, he was told the only thing the safety switch prevented was to stop the lift from moving if the chair was facing the end of the stairway and not the opposite rail side of the stairway. So he put it on anyway and it goes so far up and so far down the stairway that neither of us need to twist the chair to get in or out of it. I also remembered last night that I'd paid an extra $210 to get a chair with an arms that raise and a 19-inch wide seat instead of the 16-inch one that comes with it.  It's funny what one thinks of about 3 a.m. when you're an insomniac!  

When he finished installing the thing, which took him about 4 hours, not bad for someone who'd never done it before, it wouldn't run. Talk about teed off!  Man, I could hear him mumbling to himself out there and, of course, there was no technical people working on Saturday. I heard a humming a couple of minutes later and went out there and it was working like a charm. He said he read the user's manual (a couple of pages of instructions for operating) and saw how occasionally the steel cable will lose its tension -- you just grab the cable and pull it up until you hear a click, and that was all it took.

Brian was on the balcony so Al told me to call him and tell him he wanted to see if the chair was in a good position for him. Brian came in and sat on it and was saying it was fine and that's when Al (he's a big kid just like Brian) pushed the "call switch" on the wall and started sending Brian down.  Of course, it had the desired effect and Brian thought for a second he was going to tumble down the stairs. The two of them (and me, too, I admit, mainly cause he didn't play his trick on ME!) laughed like little kids.

It is not only wonderful but is a freaking life saver for Miss 9 cracked vertebrae and Mister stenosis of the spine with prostate cancer on his spine -- our stairs are so steep and have deep risers, too. Brian came downstairs for dinner with a smile on his face last night, I got coffee and breakfast this morning and brought it up the stairs with a smile on my face (and got us a second cup later, too), he sent laundry up this afternoon and he's making dinner (a potpie for me and a leftover half a poor boy for him) and drinks and is going to bring it up to me, as I'm having a no energy day (disease-related). He made instant pudding while he was downstairs and just sent up two stemless wineglasses of pudding up on the seat for me to put in the little fridge we have in the guest room.  We're just in seventh heaven over this thing -- it's truly a lifesaver and means the two of us can stay in this house until we croak, which is just what we wanted, especially considering all the things we've done to it lately and are still doing to it and the money we've spent doing it, too!

We love our house so much and our view of the Mississippi River from our balcony is too die for and so very relaxing too. Now that we're retired and can indulge ourselves whenever we want to by going out there, Brian said there was NO WAY he was selling this house. It's just mind boggling to sit here and see a ship as cruise ships and working ships pass about 300 yards from your balcony. Everyone who steps out there always says, "Oh, wow, this is amazing!" And after almost 20 years here, we still think that when WE go our there, as we've never tired of it.

Plus the levee is right in front of us (we call it our huge green front yard that the Parish mows for us) so there's always dog walkers, people on bicycles, rollerblades, skateboards, joggers, and the occasional people heading down to the batture to fish. Right now the levee is so high that downriver from our house about a half-mile I see people sitting on the TOP of the levee in folding chairs fishing!  It's truly a lovely place to live and we were blessed to find this house 20 years ago and we're blessed now to have our stairlift and know we can each die here!  

One day I'll take that camera out of the box that I bought almost two years ago and take some photos for you guys!  

Thanks for listening to my off topic meanderings...  Very Happy  Laughing  Laughing  Rolling Eyes
Off topic is interesting.  I live in a building with 130 units (condos)  It was built in 1987, and some of the original purchasers still live here.  They are now having mobility issues.  We have a beautiful large room above the Penthouse (13th floor) which has views to the north, south and west.  Lovely furniture, and both men's and women's toilets.  The problem is, the room is seldom used for functions because the elevator doesn't go all the way up there, it stops at the penthouse level.  A chairlift is a possibility, but because it is a commercial installation it will not be cheap.

235March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 10 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:18 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I gave clam chowder another try and it turned out bad. This recipe was from Emeril. I have tried at least 6 recipes and all have been inedible. Anyone have a good one?

236March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 10 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:13 pm

NormM

NormM

I have never tried this recipe but it comes from someone I have known for around 25 or 30 years and know she is a good cook. You can compare it to ones you have tried and see if it looks good to you.

New England Clam Chowder from Sienna 2011

From the Cliff House in Ogunquit, ME. This chowder has been on their menu since 1872.

Ingredients:
1 slice hickory-smoked bacon, minced
1/2 tsp butter
1 cup onion, minced
1 medium garlic clove, minced
1 tsp The Cliff House Spice Blend (see below)
1 Tb all purpose flour
1 can chopped clams (6 1/2 oz each) ...*I used 2; the juice from two cans makes enough so you don't really need to use the bottle of clam juice unless you want to.
1 1/2 cups Half and Half
1/4 tsp white pepper
2 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled and diced

The Cliff House Spice Blend
Blend 4 tsp dried parsley, 2 tsp marjoram, 2 tsp. dill, 4 tsp thyme, 4 tsp basil, 4 tsp rosemary, 2 tsp tarragon, 1 Tb all purpose flour, crushing in a mortar if possible. Store in resealable bag to refrigerate.

Directions:
In a heavy-bottomed, 4-pint soup kettle, sauté bacon, butter, onion, garlic and The Cliff House Spice Blend over low heat. Do not allow to brown. Drain clams and set aside, reserving the juice. Slowly stir the flour and clam juices in the sauté mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Add Half and Half and simmer 20 minutes. Add white pepper, potatoes and clams. Heat to serving temperature. Do not allow to boil, as this toughens the clams.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

237March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 10 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:54 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks Norm!

238March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 10 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:23 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I loved the stories and all. Loved the picture in my mind of sitting and looking at the mississippi. So relaxing. Michelle, can't wait to see the pics once you get the camera rejuvenated.
We had caramelized in onions braised sausages and kielbasi.
My electric fry pan burned out just as it was done.
I went on ebay, and purchased a similar one. Has to be the thick aluminum cast. No teflon. It's used, but in clean shape. And it's square.

DD brought over easter cookies she baked today. My mouth is all colors.

No pics..... I can't find them... what the ????? heck ???
I'll post them later if I can find them. Huh!

Here they are..... Tina was happy she got her hair done the way she likes it.  Don't be scared, She don't bite! March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 10 Img_0826

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 10 Img_0823
March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 10 Img_4011

239March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 10 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:21 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

The cookies look yummy......the sausages look REALLY tasty.........and how is it Ms. Tina looks younger and more beautiful every time you post a pic of her?????

Amazing!

((and, yes, you are one lucky man, Jimmy.....))

240March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 10 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:10 am

Niagara Visitor

NormM wrote:I have never tried this recipe but it comes from someone I have known for around 25 or 30 years and know she is a good cook. You can compare it to ones you have tried and see if it looks good to you.

New England Clam Chowder from Sienna 2011

From the Cliff House in Ogunquit, ME. This chowder has been on their menu since 1872.

Ingredients:
1 slice hickory-smoked bacon, minced
1/2 tsp butter
1 cup onion, minced
1 medium garlic clove, minced
1 tsp The Cliff House Spice Blend (see below)
1 Tb all purpose flour
1 can chopped clams (6 1/2 oz each) ...*I used 2; the juice from two cans makes enough so you don't really need to use the bottle of clam juice unless you want to.
1 1/2 cups Half and Half
1/4 tsp white pepper
2 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled and diced

The Cliff House Spice Blend
Blend 4 tsp dried parsley, 2 tsp marjoram, 2 tsp. dill, 4 tsp thyme, 4 tsp basil, 4 tsp rosemary, 2 tsp tarragon, 1 Tb all purpose flour, crushing in a mortar if possible. Store in resealable bag to refrigerate.

Directions:
In a heavy-bottomed, 4-pint soup kettle, sauté bacon, butter, onion, garlic and The Cliff House Spice Blend over low heat. Do not allow to brown. Drain clams and set aside, reserving the juice. Slowly stir the flour and clam juices in the sauté mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Add Half and Half and simmer 20 minutes. Add white pepper, potatoes and clams. Heat to serving temperature. Do not allow to boil, as this toughens the clams.

I make seafood chowder a lot.  I started out with a  clam chowder recipe very similar to this one, but have never boiled the potatoes first.  I peel, and dice (med-large) the potatoes, sometimes cook them separately, but use the cooking water in the chowder.   I like to make my own fish stock, sometimes using the carcasses of fish that my sons caught, or lately I found a grocery store that sells the heads of fresh salmon for next to nothing, and I make stock from those.  I like to use a small bag of frozen seafood "critters" in the chowder.

My seafood chowder, like my potato salad is generally a spontaneous dish.  Use what you have on hand, but that is after many years of practicing.

241March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 10 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:18 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am just not that creative. I need a recipe to follow.

242March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 10 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:45 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:The cookies look yummy......the sausages look REALLY tasty.........and how is it Ms. Tina looks younger and more beautiful every time you post a pic of her?????

Amazing!

((and, yes, you are one lucky man, Jimmy.....))

Thanks Beth! .... I just thought she shined with that happy face.

243March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 10 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today is an Elbow on the counter, and my hand in a fist position; and pressing into my cheek. ( Like the statue, the Thinker ), and thinking what to have for supper.
I have no clue. Maybe breakfast for dinner?? I can go for some pancakes.
Ooops. Forgot. Tina is in PA shopping, and she is going to bring back Krispy Kreme ?Doughnuts. I can easily put away 3 glazed. Maybe a cup of soup, and a half dozen
KK's will do it.

244March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 10 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:39 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy ~ those Krispy Kreme's are going to be the death of you! LOL

No cooking here tonight. I drove 3 of the ladies to lunch at The Cotillion Southern Kitchen for lunch and I'm stuffed. I ordered Fried Green Tomatoes as an appetizer for the table, we each had an entree and Ana ordered the Banana Puddin' for the table for dessert. Everything was super tasty.

The ladies really appreciate getting invited to ride along on a luncheon trip out of The Villages, and even though it's only about 7 miles away, it's 'too far' for them to drive themselves.....or they think they'll get lost ~ any number of excuses. So, I'm the driver and tour guide and everyone is happy.

245March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 10 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:02 pm

Niagara Visitor

I have become the driver and tour guide for some of the older ladies here also.  Being so close to Niagara Falls, I have taken some on what I call the "Tourist route"  I did so much of that years ago with family who came from Germany, I could get a job doing it.  Niagara Parks issues an annual parking pass for a locally owned vehicle for $50.  Just to park near the falls is normally $20-$25/day in the season.  For $50. I can park there all year.There are many other attractions where I can park with that pass, one of them being a fabulous greenhouse.  I also get an annual pass for that, and a couple of other attractions.  

My older friends really appreciate it.  

Oh, I forgot, this is a "what's cooking today? thread.  I just finished a fabulous cajun catfish filet and some small oven roasted potatoes.  Yumm!!!

246March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 10 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:57 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Jimmy ~ those Krispy Kreme's are going to be the death of you!  LOL

No cooking here tonight.  I drove 3 of the ladies to lunch at The Cotillion Southern Kitchen for lunch and I'm stuffed.  I ordered Fried Green Tomatoes as an appetizer for the table, we each had an entree and Ana ordered the Banana Puddin' for the table for dessert.  Everything was super tasty.

The ladies really appreciate getting invited to ride along on a luncheon trip out of The Villages, and even though it's only about 7 miles away, it's 'too far' for them to drive themselves.....or they think they'll get lost ~ any number of excuses.  So, I'm the driver and tour guide and everyone is happy.

Dear Lord .....I think we both had too much of a rush of carbs. I had two KK glazed doughnuts, a hot cross bun; a pecan sticky bun, and roulades cookies, and Italian black pepper cookies. Oh, and a dunkin doughnut peanut sprinkled.

That's nice of you to be a guide for the elder ladies.... Always helping out somebody Beth. That is so nice!

247March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 10 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:08 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today is watch the baby day. It's harder now, because he can move really fast.

Tina is the nanny, and I don't have patience for it. I will watch and play but not chase. So. whats for supper?? Who knows. Tina mentioned chilli over spaghetti. At least it's filling.

248March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 10 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:54 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:OK, I need everyone to hold hands and say a prayer that the latest house Robin and Ben have an offer on is 'THE ONE' that works out for them.  They've been through the mill trying to purchase a home that is 'their's'......IF this one goes through they should close around May 1st ~ they'll take some time to freshen it up with paint, etc. so Dane & I should be up in Ohio in June & July (thank heavens the snow should be over by then.....) to clean-up and do whatever repairs need to be done to get it on the market.  

I sure hope Robin and Ben are planning to take the chickens with them when they move......LOL

I just said my prayer for ALL five of you, Beth, as requested. I had to hold my own hands, though, as Brian is at the hospital for appointments with two doctors. I hope this still counts as compliance on my part! Laughing

That's a good time for the closing, too, as the weather will be hot as blazes at home and then probably very pleasant in OH. Does Ohio have much humidity in the summer, Beth, or is it dry air for the most part? You really think it will take two months for you guys to stay up there? You take such awesome care of it with Dane going up there every year that I would've never dreamed you'd need to be there for two months. If so, I predict your immediate neighbors will probably all lose weight without any of the goodies you often share with them. Heck, they'll probably have a welcoming committee waiting in front of your house when you drive up, with Lyn out front leading the cheers!

249March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 10 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:01 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Ohio in the summer is hot, humid, mosquitos the size of bats.......I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to this whole ordeal! LOL

I'm thinking two months with the two of us working full time to clean & repair ~ I know Robin & Ben have full time jobs and Jake and I've seen the inside of our house......they try to keep up but it's just not a priority with so much else on their plates. But at least we'll be on the downward slope and have that bright light at the end of the tunnel to spur us on.

Dane has suggested if I get tired or, more than likely, SICK & TIRED, that I can always fly back without a problem and return after I've rested a bit.

250March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 10 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:22 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:Off topic is interesting.  I live in a building with 130 units (condos)  It was built in 1987, and some of the original purchasers still live here.  They are now having mobility issues.  We have a beautiful large room above the Penthouse (13th floor) which has views to the north, south and west.  Lovely furniture, and both men's and women's toilets.  The problem is, the room is seldom used for functions because the elevator doesn't go all the way up there, it stops at the penthouse level.  A chairlift is a possibility, but because it is a commercial installation it will not be cheap.

Considering there are 130 units, Lore, it certainly wouldn't be cost prohibitive. If it's a straight stairway and not curved with a landing at the turn, the stairlift costs less. And of course, the length of the stairway is measured so the vendor can determine the price of the heavy rails/track the stairlift rides on. The chair and the motor are included in their basic charge but anything else is extra. Our stairway is 15 steps and measured 17 feet in length. The charge for 16' to 20' of track was an additional $182.00. The all electric model we got was already rated for 350 pounds, but we had to pay $199 for shipping, too. Luckily for us, they didn't have an outlet here so no sales tax had to be paid, which is substantial for us (10% which is both city and state sales tax). Your condo association really ought to look into it -- I guess it takes a vote of your condo Board. I know some would probably hate to pitch in as that's inevitable but if they're smart, they'll realize that they, too, will probably have some mobility issues to deal with, some sooner rather than later. Ours is rated for 350 pounds so it will handle some larger folks, too.

Funny thing about a stairlift joke we tried to play on my "cabana boy," Al. The other night I sent Al a message saying Briand I wanted to "test" the limit. We were just messing with him by email, something the three of us do all the time, and I told him I had rode on Brian's lap on the stairlift to test it. Brian is 174 (soo skinny right now) and I'm 132, which of course means we tested it for 306 lbs. He didn't bite, which surprised us both unless he had his phone off.

So of course, undeterred by his silence, I persisted. Brian and I were laughing our heads off over here when I sent a message telling him something like, "Hey, Al, Brian wants to know what you weigh. As you know, he's only 174 now and he wants to test the stairlift out a bit closer to 350 lbs. Can you please email me your weight?" You should've seen the two of us -- giggling away while waiting for a response telling us we were not only being fools but playing with fire. Even though I titled the email "Stairlift Question -- Important!", we got no response. The next morning Brian said, "See what he said now that he's awake, okay?" We were so disappointed as all his reply said was "198." I've talked to him twice since then and he didn't mention it either. Brian said next time Al's over here, he's just going to say, "Come on, Al. I hope you don't mind sitting on my lap but come on, let's go see if that stairlift can handle 372 pounds." I know, I know -- we're acting like children. Ain't it fun?!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum