Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

March 2018,... What's for dinner ???

+4
Niagara Visitor
Bugster2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 12]

26March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:11 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Maybe your burnt toast?

27March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:27 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Maybe your burnt toast?

Haaaa.... It works for me! She won't eat it charcoaled, but darker than normal, she will eat that. I made a slice for her yesterday.

28March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:23 pm

NormM

NormM

Charlie has been away for a week so I didn't cook much until he got back. I tried this recipe called Croque Monsieur Hasselback Potatoes.  They are sliced like Hasselback then cheese and ham (I used Canadian bacon) is put between the slices and covered with bechamel. We had asparagus and sourdough bread too.

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 2 20180311

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 2 20180313

Last edited by NormM on Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

29March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Charlie has been away for a week so I didn't cook much until he got back. I tried this recipe called Croque Monsieur Hasselback Potatoes.  They are sliced like Hasselback then cheese and ham (I used Canadian bacon) is put between the slices and covered with bechamel. Has asparagus and sourdough bread too.

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 2 20180311

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 2 20180313

Mighty good looking potatoes. Different! And the bread....Oh My !...the best ever!

30March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:55 pm

NormM

NormM

Thank you Jimmy.

31March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:57 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Beautiful bread Norm! There is no way my oven would ever produce a loaf like that.

How were the potatoes?

32March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:01 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

You're welcome, and deserving Norm!

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 2 Img_0817
Just a pic of the chili over fucilli. I ate the first bowl, and then remembered Beth saying Cincinnati Chili with cheese on top. I forget, but
I added some shredded mozzarella and then the chili. It gave it a different taste.
I would rather just the chili on top the pasta or spaghetti. .

33March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:34 am

NormM

NormM

Bugster2 wrote:Beautiful bread Norm! There is no way my oven would ever produce a loaf like that.

How were the potatoes?
Thanks. The potatoes were good but next time I'll slice the ham thicker.

34March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:49 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

After two days of not cooking.....we eat out WAY too often, but I guess it would be rude of me to complain! Friday was our neighborhood Ladies' Lunch and, even though we go at 11:30 a.m. to beat the crowds, I was still stuffed at supper time. I just had a BLT, but it was a HUGE BLT! Dane found food on his own. Yesterday Lyn & Bill asked if we could come over to give them a hand sprucing up their little Meyer Lemon Tree and fix a couple things in their house. I think I've mentioned that Lyn always says Bill suffers from 'the 3 T's'.....No time, no tools and no talent. So, it's just a lot easier to ask Dane to take care of the little stuff.

So, to thank us, they took us out for burgers at Square One ~ good burgers and FABULOUS onion rings. I was stuffed again.

Tonight I pulled some pork out of the freezer. Pork steak for me and a nice bone-in pork chop for Dane. He doesn't like the fat in the pork shoulder steak and I think the pork chops (especially the boneless pork loin 'chops') are flavorless. So, to each their own!

Pork on the charcoal grill, baked sweet potato, lima beans and some golden beets. ((Phew! Stuffed AGAIN!!))

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 2 03_04_11

35March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:05 pm

NormM

NormM

I made tacos and a strawberry pie. The pie was just two cups of water, two cups of sugar and 6 Tablespoons of cornstarch all cooked until dissolved, then taken off the stove a package of strawberry jello added. (cut this in half if not using deep dish pie pan. Then add strawberries and pour in baked pie crust and chill. There was a recipe for a pie crust but I used a store bought one. I didn't take pictures of anything today.

36March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:09 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Your strawberry pie recipe sounds like one I made from the 1970's.....

It works great with fresh blueberries, too, should you want to give it a try. I think that one used grape Jello (can't think of anything else I'd EVER use grape Jello for....LOL). I remember how surprised everyone was at how 'crispy' the blueberries were when they weren't cooked at all. It was a winner, as I recall.

37March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:22 pm

NormM

NormM

That sounds interesting Beth. I will keep it in mind if I make another pie.

38March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:08 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Beth... the pork steak looks awesome. You're right about the regular pork chop.
No taste... Breaded and fried is a different story. They can be flavorful.
Norms Strawberry pie sounds good. I'll bet he got the recipe from "Strawberry Hill...!"

Tonight, we had take-out from Ruby Tuesday's. Burgers and fries. DD has power now,
so she went home. Dear Son and DIL... are here sleeping tonight. They won't get power till Tuesday at 11:30 PM. Estimated for the 6th time by the First Energy Company.

39March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:35 am

Niagara Visitor

I made potato salad yesterday, mostly for taking to my sis.  She says "Want to make me happy? Make me some potato salad."  I really like calamari, so for the first time ever, I bought some (frozen) at Costco.  I baked at the temperature and time according to the directions, but they were way overdone.  But, overdone calamari are better than no calamari!  Will watch them more closely next time.

40March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:52 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have only had calamari once and it was like chewing on a rubber band. Is that how it is or does it get tender? We call those chewy things Yang-Yangs. We got that term years ago from a friend who used the term when trying to chew one of those tiny pieces of gristle that are found in sausage and you just can't break them apart. He just started saying "yang yang yang yang" very fast in a funny tone of voice. We started laughing it was so funny and have used the term ever since. It is perfect.

41March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:55 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Calamari is best when it's fried or cooked quickly. OR it has to braise for a very long time. If it's cooked correctly it is very delicious. If you see it being cooked on a program like Diners, Drive-ins & Dives you'll notice if they are making a fish stew or something like that, they add all the other fish, then the calamari and shrimp. It just takes minutes, if even that, to cook through.

Anything 'in-between' QUICK and LONG turns it into rubber-band-like, chewy bits.

We love the 'flash fried' lightly coated calamari with the sliced peppers ~ especially if it's served with a sweet & spicy sauce, although the traditional marinara ain't bad at all.

42March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Beth took the words out of my mouth. A quick cook or a long cook to stay tender.

43March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:37 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thank you. If I ever try it again and I can't chew it, I will know it was overcooked.

44March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:44 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I have only had calamari once and it was like chewing on a rubber band. Is that how it is or does it get tender? We call those chewy things Yang-Yangs. We got that term years ago from a friend who used the term when trying to chew one of those tiny pieces of gristle that are found in sausage and you just can't break them apart. He just started saying "yang yang yang yang" very fast in a funny tone of voice. We started laughing it was so funny and have used the term ever since. It is perfect.

OMG.... my pants are wet from laughing about sausage Yang-
Yangs.
We had a friend ( Tom / deceased ) that loved my sausage when I ground and made it from scratch. He said,"there is no P-tue P-tue", spit out of gristle and fat in your sausage!

45March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:48 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

P-tue is a yang-yang!

46March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:13 pm

Niagara Visitor

Mine were definitely overcooked.  I often use a package of frozen seafood "creatures" in a stir fry.  The vegetables in the pan have to be pretty well done before I throw in the seafood.  I have had calamar steaks twice in my life.  As a "steak" the squid tube is cut so that it can be a plain piece of the calamar/squid.  Both delicious, but you don't see it on restaurant menus here.

47March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Grilled London Broil tonight! It was just as good as the last time I charcoal grilled one ~ added some sauteed mushrooms with my steak, a baked potato, 'Magically' turned last night's leftover lima beans into succotash and made a chopped salad with a light red wine vinegar/evoo dressing. I've heard no complaints so far.....

Tonight I ended up putting 3 slices of my steak back on the platter for Dane to wrap and use for a steak sandwich. I don't eat as much as I usually plate up, but it would look really skimpy in a pic if I only showed the couple slices I do eat. Same for my potato most of the time ~ I eat half and then wrap the other half to chop up and have with eggs for my breakfast or brunch.

When Dane saw the succotash tonight he commented he had planned to have the leftover limas for his breakfast tomorrow......I suggested he have leftover succotash instead. LOL

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 2 03_05_10

48March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:58 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

A bag of PF Chang's honey chicken and fried rice tonight.

49March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:27 pm

NormM

NormM

We had a marinated flat iron steak, baked potato topped with leftover taco fillings and here is a picture of the strawberry pie.

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 2 20180314
March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 2 20180315

50March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:39 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

That all looks delicious, Norm. Neat idea to 'repurpose' the taco fix in's as a potato topper.

You gave me the idea to have taco salad for our supper......Thanks for the inspiration!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum