Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper?

+4
Bugster2
Crybaby
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 10]

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I have a feeling we'll be going out for a late lunch with Dane's Thursday golf scramble group today so there will be no cooking for me tonight.  

Tomorrow is my usual Ladies' Friday Morning & Lunch so I'll be having a late lunch.....no cooking yet again.

So it will be Saturday before I have to decide on a meal to cook!

OH CRAP!!!    I just realized it's only Wednesday.  For some reason I thought it was Thursday...........NOW I need to come up with an idea for supper.  Oh, woe is me.

You'd have laughed, Beth, as your message threw me, as I kept thinking, "Jeesh, I thought it was Wednesday!" Brian was sick yesterday and in bed all day so I was thinking I must've lost a day taking care of him. I had just figured out that you were wrong when I read the rest of your message...

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:
bethk wrote:Thanks for the site link!  My niece lives in California and is due mid-February.  It's been so long since I've had a reason to purchase baby clothes / supplies.  I'm really out of the loop of what's 'in'.

In MY day new mothers were thrilled to get a large package of cloth diapers.....my daughters were born before the advent of 'disposable' diapers!  LOL

I hope you get the chance to check out the site, Beth, as it has the cutest stuff.  

My  Lord, remember cloth diapers?!  I sure remember the diaper bags women had to deal with those.  I used to babysit and it was during the time of cloth diapers...

I used cloth diapers....complete with diaper pails, soaking, rinsing, washing twice (with vinegar in the rinse to 'freshen') and hanging them on the clothesline in the sunshine to 'sanitize' them.....then, take them down (BEFORE it rained) and sit and fold into the proper size for baby butts.....and then start it all over again tomorrow.

LOL

The only mothers I knew who had paper / disposable diapers were the ones on welfare. Pampers weren't even available for 'regular' Moms to purchase. I think they were sold when my second was born but they were so expensive I only used them if we were out and she needed to be changed. That way I didn't have to carry a bunch of the bulky cloth ones in the gigantic diaper bag.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:
bethk wrote:

OH CRAP!!!    I just realized it's only Wednesday.  For some reason I thought it was Thursday...........NOW I need to come up with an idea for supper.  Oh, woe is me.      

You'd have laughed, Beth, as your message threw me, as I kept thinking, "Jeesh, I thought it was Wednesday!"  Brian was sick yesterday and in bed all day so I was thinking I must've lost a day taking care of him.  I had just figured out that you were wrong when I read the rest of your message...

Yup....I went back and added that after the original post.

But, I just got back from the store and I'm going to grill a whole chicken and some asparagus for supper. That'll leave leftovers if anyone needs to make a sandwich or something.

Crybaby

Crybaby

We sprung for some beautiful beef short ribs at the store last week, as I was "jonesin'" for some of those babies braised in some red wine or port. They were more than we'd have liked to pay but we decided we were worth it (plus it made 3 complete dinners for two so it wasn't so bad). I'd planned to make them the other day and surprise Brian when he came home from errands but I didn't feel so good and fell asleep.

Bless his heart, as the next day he dug out the recipe I'd posted here and printed (I changed it to leave the vegetables in the pot with the beef rather than strain them out at the end, and also changed it from cooking in the oven to making it on the stove) and surprised me with it. I had gone upstairs to lie down before noon, as my back was giving me problems, and I smelled it cooking later that afternoon -- he's so good to me! Not only that, but it turned out delicious. He was really proud of it, too, as he finally believed me when I said I couldn't have done it any better. He'd planned to make rice with it but I reminded him we had that made in Italy pappardelle, so I made that to go with it. Talk about divine!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Beef short ribs are SUCH a luxury! Once in a while I'll find them on sale at Sam's Club and I'll pick them up. But how wonderful for you that Brian made what you wanted! You are a lucky chick!

I ended up making my 'half' grilled chicken.....seems to work well for us. I butcher a whole chicken and remove the breast and then bone it out and leave the skin on so I can get 2 meals from that part. Then I'm left with the back and ribs with the wings and thighs/legs attached that can be grilled. Since I end up with a sort of reverse spachcock cut everything gets nicely cooked on the grill without becoming dried out.

Mr. Amazing gets the thighs and a leg and I get the wings and a leg....oh, and I pick the 'oyster' out of the back! That's the best part, don't you know!

Grilled my peeled asparagus and finished my micro-parcooked sweet potato on the grill.

JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper? - Page 3 IMG_20170111_165713987

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had two fried meat balls.... two ravioli ( lead weight heavy ) . Eating chocolate covered pecans now for dessert.

NormM

NormM

I am making cheesesteak sandwiches tonight.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I am making cheesesteak sandwiches tonight.

Ooooo! sounds good! My thoughts are cheesy dentures, and a greasy chin, as I chomp on one!

NormM

NormM

Here is the Cheesecake sandwich I made for myself.

JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper? - Page 3 Dscn3913

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

lOOKS GOOD Norm.
I'm all buckled in, and ready to tackle that! I'm ready to eat some real food! Well, soon, after I learn to eat cereal in my formula! hahahaha

Liam xoxoxo
JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper? - Page 3 GVEusZ

bethk

bethk
Admin

OMG....what a smile! I still cannot get over the amount of hair that baby has.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:OMG....what a smile!  I still cannot get over the amount of hair that baby has.  

We comb that hair, but it messes up 5 seconds later.
And what a good baby. He slept from 8 till 6 this morning.
He only cries if wet, or hungry. Yesterday, he got 4 shots at the Dr. and he was cranky till the tylenol kicked in.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper questions??????? again!
I am thinking of cod steamed then in a wine / lemon/ butter sauce.
I also have seafood gumbo frozen from Christmas eve. Only thing is, I would be the only one eating it. The rest of the family are not seafood eaters.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I met Dane and two of our neighbors after their golf game at the local Bob Evans Farm Restaurant for a late lunch. He had a cobb salad and I had a grilled chicken salad with dried cranberries and toasted pecans.....very tasty!

It comes with your choice of biscuit, rolls, bread or banana bread ~ I asked for mine AND HIS to be banana bread in a 'to-go' container. I knew he wouldn't eat any side bread and it would be too much for me considering the size of the salad.....but a bedtime snack of banana bread is a wonderful treat in a house without sweets! (I feel so sneaky-tricky about it! LOL)

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:Beef short ribs are SUCH a luxury! Once in a while I'll find them on sale at Sam's Club and I'll pick them up. But how wonderful for you that Brian made what you wanted! You are a lucky chick!

Yep, I sure am.  I think I told y'all that several years ago, Brian asked me what "cookbook" some dinner I made came out of.  I laughed and told him I didn't have recipes for lots of things I cook but he said he wanted to try to make whatever.  So the next time I made that dish, I wrote down instructions on how I made it and I approximated the ingredients for him, too.  I started doing it regularly, as I (pre-Internet) went into an international cooking "echo," where lots of people had to have specifics to be able to cook something.  

At any rate, it has really paid off, as he has made tons of the dishes I wrote out for him.  He's learned to really READ the recipe first and he also learned how much easier things can be if you do your mise en place first, which he does.  Who knew when I started doing this (about 25 years ago) that he would turn into such a good cook and that he would cook for me the same dishes I cook for him that he loves.  

Plus, I like to jot things down when I'm cooking, so I remember what I did when something I'm concocting comes out really good!  I still type out and print recipes that appeal to me, too, as often I can't remember where I saw that recipe.  Often, I change the recipe according to our tastes and/or what we have on hand.  If I do, I try to mark the typed copy so again, I remember what I did.  Plus, it's nice to have the recipes on the computer so I can peruse them to get ideas as to what to make or how to use some nice piece of meat we picked up.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth, your grilled chicken dinner looked super.

Norm, your cheesesteak sandwich made my mouth water!

Jimmy, that great grandchild is absolutely adorable -- cute smile on Liam, too. How lucky that he turned out to be such a good sleeper!

Just called Brian, as I was worried about him. He had a 12:30 p.m. doctor's appointment with his pain management doctor. When I called him, it was 3:15 p.m. and he hadn't been seen yet! It's truly cruel when you have a bad back, as it really hurts to sit in the same position for hours. Strangely, Brian wasn't furious (yet). He had planned to stop and pick up a couple of incidentals at the grocery afterwards but I tried to talk him out of that. He wanted to stop and get cheeseburgers and fries at Rally's so I told him to just do that, as he can go thru the drive-thru without getting out of the car. But he's hardheaded and will probably hit the grocery, too...

Crybaby

Crybaby

Here's a recipe I've been eyeing in Cook's Illustrated.  A quickie Bolognese sauce sure beats the long one with several meats that they published years ago.  

Weeknight Tagliatelle with Bolognese Sauce
Serves 4 to 6. Recipe from Cook’s Illustrated, January/February 2017.
If you use our recommended beef broth, Better Than Bouillon Roast Beef Base, skip step 2 and make a concentrated broth by adding 4 teaspoons paste to 2 cups water. To ensure the best flavor, be sure to brown the pancetta-vegetable mixture in step 4 until the fond on the bottom of the pan is quite dark. The cooked sauce will look thin but will thicken once tossed with the imported Italian egg pasta. Tagliatelle is a long, flat, dry egg pasta that is about 1/4-inch wide; if you can’t find it, substitute pappardelle. Substituting other pasta may result in a too-wet sauce.

1 lb. 93% lean ground beef
2 Tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Salt and pepper
4 cups beef broth
6 oz. pancetta, coarsely chopped
1 onion, coarsely chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 celery rib, coarsely chopped
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
3 Tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup dry red wine
1 oz. Parmesan cheese, grated (1/2 cup), plus extra for serving
1 lb. imported Italian tagliatelle

1. Toss beef with water, baking soda, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in bowl until thoroughly combined.  Set aside.
2. While beef sits, bring broth to boil over high heat in large pot (this pot will be used to cook pasta in step 6) and cook until reduced to 2 cups, about 15 minutes; set aside.
3. Pulse pancetta in food processor until finely chopped, 15 to 20 pulses. Add onions, carrot and celery and pulse until vegetables are finely chopped and mixture has paste-like consistency, 12 to 15 pulses, scraping down sides of bowl if needed.
4. Heat butter and oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. When foaming subsides, add pancetta-vegetable mixture and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated, about 8 minutes. Spread mixture in even layer in bottom of pot and continue to cook, stirring every couple of minutes, until very dark brown bits form on bottom of pot, 7 to 12 minutes longer. Stir in tomato paste and cook until paste is rust-colored and bottom of pot is dark brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Reduce heat to medium, add beef, and cook, using wooden spoon to break meat into pieces no larger than 1/4 inch, until beef has just lost its raw pink color, 4 to 7 minutes. Stir in wine, scraping up any browned bits, and bring to simmer. Cook until wine has evaporated and sauce has thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in broth and Parmesan. Return sauce to simmer; cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes (sauce will look thin). Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Rinse pot that held broth. While sauce simmers, bring 4 quarts of water to boil in now empty pot. Add pasta and 1 Tablespoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Reserve 1/4 cup pasta cooking water, then drain pasta. Add pasta to pot with sauce and toss to combine. Adjust sauce consistency with reserved cooking water as needed. Transfer to platter or individual bowls and serve, passing extra Parmesan separately.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've made something similar, Michelle.....one of those 'throw together' meals when you're rushed for a meal and you don't have all day to mess with it.

Of course, I switched bacon for the pancetta (works for me!) and I usually switch out at least half the beef broth for half chicken stock....comes out milder for me. I also found that adding some whole milk with the beef really changed the texture a lot and we liked it much more. The carrot adds a surprising bit of sweetness and really compliments the tomato & wine nicely.

And, finally, tagliatelle is probably my favorite pasta....love that it has the mouth-feel of a REAL pasta and not some wimpy thin pasta.

When you make it let me know how you both liked it.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I've made something similar, Michelle.....one of those 'throw together' meals when you're rushed for a meal and you don't have all day to mess with it.

Of course, I switched bacon for the pancetta (works for me!) and I usually switch out at least half the beef broth for half chicken stock....comes out milder for me.  I also found that adding some whole milk with the beef really changed the texture a lot and we liked it much more.  The carrot adds a surprising bit of sweetness and really compliments the tomato & wine nicely.

And, finally, tagliatelle is probably my favorite pasta....love that it has the mouth-feel of a REAL pasta and not some wimpy thin pasta.

When you make it let me know how you both liked it.

The type of pasta, makes the dish. Definitely.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I always tell the doctor's receptionist that if the doctor makes me wait more than 1/2 hour I will start charging him for my time. After all, the doctor is an employee of yours and making you wait is unacceptable.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I always tell the doctor's receptionist that if the doctor makes me wait more than 1/2 hour I will start charging him for my time. After all, the doctor is an employee of yours and making you wait is unacceptable.

And.... the bigger the dr's office / practice is, the longer the waiting.
They try and fit 4 or 5 people into the same time of appointment.

Tina made out good today though . She had a 3:15 today. She got there at 3:05, and was out by 3:30. I guess it was a slow day. She was lucky.

NormM

NormM

JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper? - Page 3 Dscn3915
JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper? - Page 3 Dscn3914

I baked bread today, then made rice with dried apricots and pecans, beer steamed mussels and a Japanese style steak. I wanted the bread to soak up the beer-butter mussel sauce.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper? - Page 3 Dscn3915
JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper? - Page 3 Dscn3914

I baked bread today, then made rice with dried apricots and pecans, beer steamed mussels and a Japanese style steak. I wanted the bread to soak up the beer-butter mussel sauce.

Ya got me droolin for those muscles. I usually use wine butter sauce, but beer sounds more flavorful.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh my goodness, Norm.....you cooked up a storm today!

Just the smell of baking bread would have sent me over the top ~ Great Job!

NormM

NormM

I felt a little guilty for not doing much so far this month and decided to make up for it, especially since Charlie said he was going to take me to an Irish Pub on the Plaza this weekend.  The weather says a lot of ice though so we may have to make it another time.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum