Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ?

+3
cookingirl
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 10]

1MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Empty MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Mon May 01, 2017 11:48 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Here they are!
Salmon Patty's .... Cheesy Potatoes, and Beans

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? T0MEkW

2MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Tue May 02, 2017 12:42 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

[quote="Crybaby"]
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Macaroni salad, and mashed potatoes. ( I will make gravy for my potatoes ).
That was funny Michelle.
I think Tina and I are now even..... I made her waffles and she took 1 ....and 2 .....and three pats of butter for her waffles. I silently watched with a mini smile, and waited for her to BLOW UP at me for watching. It just got my gourd, and I said,"isn't it weird how the butter on the waffles, melt and absorb into the waffle?" ( I did everything to keep a straight face )
Then I said, "Now Look at that, how that THIRD pat of butter stayed afloat on top the waffle!"
"Maybe it is because the maple syrup cooled off the waffle, right hon?" ......... Her answer was Uh Huh! .... I left it at that; even though it was on the tip of my tongue, to say ;Just like on mashed potatoes!" I retained my cool, and stopped when I was ahead. I think?

3MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Tue May 02, 2017 12:42 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Macaroni salad, and mashed potatoes. ( I will make gravy for my potatoes ).
That was funny Michelle.
I think Tina and I are now even..... I made her waffles and she took 1 ....and 2 .....and three pats of butter for her waffles. I silently watched with a mini smile, and waited for her to BLOW UP at me for watching. It just got my gourd, and I said,"isn't it weird how the butter on the waffles, melt and absorb into the waffle?" ( I did everything to keep a straight face )
Then I said, "Now Look at that, how that THIRD pat of butter stayed afloat on top the waffle!"
"Maybe it is because the maple syrup cooled off the waffle, right hon?" .........   Her answer was Uh Huh! .... I left it at that; even though it was on the tip of my tongue, to say ;Just like on mashed potatoes!" I retained my cool, and stopped when I was ahead. I think?

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Crybaby wrote:
That was funny Michelle.
"Maybe it is because the maple syrup cooled off the waffle, right hon?" .........   Her answer was Uh Huh! .... I left it at that; even though it was on the tip of my tongue, to say ;Just like on mashed potatoes!" I retained my cool, and stopped when I was ahead. I think?

Now my friend, THAT was hysterical! Glad I wasn't there or I would've spit up my own butter-encased waffle. You're a better man than me, Jimmy, as I wouldn't have been able to resist giving her the ol' mashed potato line you were thinking. I think she would've busted up laughing if you had but I guess you took the safe route, Jimmy. Brian sure wouldn't have let that one go! Really funny stuff, though!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Cindy, I was sitting out on the balcony yesterday afternoon relating to Brian how your neighbor gave you a new unused BBQ grill when it occurred to me that you'd said it was ELECTRIC! I don't think you use charcoal in an electric grill! Forgive me for forgetting and thinking it was a charcoal grill!

I don't think you'll need a grill brush either if you're not using charcoal!

Suggest googling whatever model of Master Built electric grill this is so you can get some user-informed information. Did your friend who gave it to you tell you why he never used it? Just curious.

cookingirl

cookingirl

Crybaby wrote:Cindy, I was sitting out on the balcony yesterday afternoon relating to Brian how your neighbor gave you a new unused BBQ grill when it occurred to me that you'd said it was ELECTRIC!  I don't think you use charcoal in an electric grill!  Forgive me for forgetting and thinking it was a charcoal grill!

I don't think you'll need a grill brush either if you're not using charcoal!  

Suggest googling whatever model of Master Built electric grill this is so you can get some user-informed information.  Did your friend who gave it to you tell you why he never used it?  Just curious.

No, Michelle, you do not use charcoal in an electric grill!!! What a Face

I will google for a manual.

I just do not want to scrub a grill.. and I have to really look at the basin of it. I may cover it in foil, in order to avoid the scrubbing. I hope it does contain a drip tray.. otherwise it will be very messy..

Madeline gave me the grill because she is moving and will not have a balcony. She never used it. She is a shopaholic, and addicted to QVC...

Bugster2

Bugster2

I think you probably can line the grill with foil. It won't keep it spotless but will make clean-up easier.

Have you ever wanted to replace a small kitchen electric appliance that works fine but is dirty and you can't get it clean? I have a Ronco rotisserie that has grease splatters on the inside that I just can't get off. The outside is somewhat clean. I want to make a chicken tonight but just don't like using a dirty appliance.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster....the Krud Kutter cleaner Michelle told me about might just do the trick on your rotisserie.

I used it on my stainless steel grill and it did an amazing job, as it does on the inside of my oven.

I find it in the paint department at WalMart (because it does a great job of removing latex paint spatters).

It doesn't smell, you don't have to wear gloves ~ and it works. It's worth a try.

Just don't use it on painted surfaces.....I used it on my white (old) range hood and it took some of the paint off......but it also removed most of the grease so I don't see it as all bad!

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had the leftover chicken enchiladas tonight....an exact replica of the previous meal.

We had to leave at 5:15 this morning to get his sister to her colonoscopy appointment on time. Thank heavens it's finally over after having the incorrect appointment information a couple weeks ago. They fixed something in her neck and then removed a couple polops (sp?) and she'll get the biopsy results in a couple weeks.

After her appt. the instructions said to go 'directly home', possibly having her 'driver' pick up food at a 'drive-thru' but eating at home. Well, she was having NONE of that. There was a diner about a mile from the office and she wanted coffee and coffee NOW! I also suggested a large glass of water (which got refilled) as she was probably dehydrated from the prep. She said she didn't realize how thirsty she was until after the first glassful! All in all she wasn't any the worse for wear....just glad it was finally over for another 5 years.

Both Dane & his sister have to undergo the check every 4 -5 years since their father died from colon/kidney/liver cancer. Dane's never had any problems but his sister seems to get small growths that they can remove during the procedure. We're glad she doesn't argue about going.

10MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Tue May 02, 2017 10:53 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

We had rotisserie chicken with an Indian rub.

I want to make a Boston Cream pie. The recipe comes from a restaurant. they say to use a 10" round pan but didn't mention how high the pan should be. I need to buy one so I am not sure what size. What do you think?

11MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Wed May 03, 2017 1:11 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina had spaghetti with meat sauce....
I had a roast beef and swiss with mayo.
I was sick all day. Just felt yucky and upset stomach.

12MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Wed May 03, 2017 4:09 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I made this salad, and it was delicious, Dirk liked it very much, he said: GOOD, three times, and I agree with him..  we had some honey apples that were already wrinkled, but I did not want to toss them away, so I peeled them and they were still good, still crunchy, so I added some lemon juice, 1 orange juice, 1 orange, peeled and diced, diced broccoli, celery, cherry tomatoes, onions, chili pepper, bell pepper, cilantro and green onions, a bit of salt.. no need sugar because the orange juice was very sweet.

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? WhatsApp%20Image%202017-05-02%20at%206.57.22%20PM

13MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Wed May 03, 2017 5:12 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Imelda HL wrote:I made this salad, and it was delicious, Dirk liked it very much, he said: GOOD, three times, and I agree with him..  we had some honey apples that were already wrinkled, but I did not want to toss them away, so I peeled them and they were still good, still crunchy, so I added some lemon juice, 1 orange juice, 1 orange, peeled and diced, diced broccoli, celery, cherry tomatoes, onions, chili pepper, bell pepper, cilantro and green onions, a bit of salt.. no need sugar because the orange juice was very sweet.

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? WhatsApp%20Image%202017-05-02%20at%206.57.22%20PM

Not only sounds delicious but looks divine, too, Imelda. Your meals always sound so interesting, Imelda, and your photos always make my mouth water! Nothing like a good salad especially when it's hot. Beth, too, makes some dynamite salads.

14MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Wed May 03, 2017 5:41 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:Both Dane & his sister have to undergo the check every 4 -5 years since their father died from colon/kidney/liver cancer. Dane's never had any problems but his sister seems to get small growths that they can remove during the procedure. We're glad she doesn't argue about going.

They're really smart to do so. Colon cancer is very treatable now with a good cure rate as long as it's caught early.

Brian's father got prostate cancer in his 70s. Shortly after that, I saw an ad in the paper looking for men between the ages of 40 to 50 for a prostate screening test group at LSU Medical School in N.O. It was a 10-year study and free, and required you to come in once a year. Brian signed up for it and the reason I loved the idea of it was not so much that it was free, but that they contacted you every year to advise it was time to come in for your test. A year passes so fast and when you're busy, it's so easy to lose track of time. I know when I needed more contacts and would call my eye doctor's office, I was always shocked when the woman told me it'd been 3 years since I'd had an eye exam -- when I swore I'd had one the previous year.

At any rate, Brian went for several years (they'd give him a PSA test and a digital exam) and around the 5th year, his PSA started going up. Soon it required a visit to a urologist where his prostate cancer was detected -- early, too. He has plenty of co-workers and friends who died years ago from prostate cancer -- they either weren't being tested regularly and it had progressed by the time they were diagnosed, or they were hesitant to undergo treatment soon enough to help them. Brian's cancer was found in early 2000 and even though he's still dealing with it 17 years later (it "disappeared" for years at a time but cancer cells obviously escaped from his prostate prior to him having it removed in 2000), he's still HERE to deal with it! Very, very grateful for the testing and early detection.

Every urologist he's seen over the years has stated that EVERY MAN will eventually get prostate cancer if they live long enough. Often if it's not an aggressive type, a man will die of something else long before the prostate cancer will kill him. Depending on a man's age at detection and the type of prostate cancer they develop, some doctors advise against treatment and they just monitor the cancer for the rest of the man's life. So ladies, make sure your husbands/boyfriends are at least getting a PSA test every year (a simple blood test). A digital exam is also recommended but men tend to avoid that like the plague! The PSA is easy and better than nothing.

15MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Wed May 03, 2017 10:22 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:

I want to make a Boston Cream pie. The recipe comes from a restaurant. they say to use a 10" round pan but didn't mention how high the pan should be. I need to buy one so I am not sure what size. What do you think?

Personally, I'd use a 10" springform pan because it could be used for multiple things.

On the other hand, a good Wilton cake pan is hard to beat.....great weight and straight sides.

16MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Wed May 03, 2017 12:57 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Great idea Beth! It never occurred to me.

17MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Wed May 03, 2017 6:38 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

A picture is worth a thousand words!
I'm not saying who's raisin bread slice this is, but a clue, is this person lives in this house.
I don't like this raisin bread; so it's not mine. It is, what it is! I need say no more!

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? 2qCs4i

18MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Wed May 03, 2017 9:37 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:A picture is worth a thousand words!
I'm not saying who's raisin bread slice this is, but a clue, is this person lives in this house.
I don't like this raisin bread; so it's not mine. It is, what it is! I need say no more!

I cannot STOP laughing at this! Jimmy, I'd told Brian about your restraint in not mentioning the THREE pats on someone's waffles. When I went to read him your words just now and show him the picture, I could not get your words out as I was LAUGHING THAT HARD! Hysterical! You, my friend, are brilliant to not only notice but share it with us. Would Tina not laugh if you showed your message to her? I'm betting she would. Hilarious -- just freaking hilarious!

19MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Thu May 04, 2017 12:17 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:

I cannot STOP laughing at this! Jimmy, I'd told Brian about your restraint in not mentioning the THREE pats on someone's waffles.  When I went to read him your words just now and show him the picture, I could not get your words out as I was LAUGHING THAT HARD!  Hysterical!  You, my friend, are brilliant to not only notice but share it with us.  Would Tina not laugh if you showed your message to her?  I'm  betting she would.  Hilarious -- just freaking hilarious!

Tina would laugh at the whole scenario, and would joke about it.
When she jumped all over my sxxt about the butter on my potatoes, I'm sure she was irritated about something. ? IDK ?
I do know, that in 3 or 4 lbs of potatoes cooked to be mashed, she always adds a whole stick of butter, and cream or milk.
So, in her mind, she is thinking there is a whole stick, but that doesn't
migrate to my three tbs. of potatoes on my dish.

I don't care for that much mashed potatoes, and rarely eat them.

20MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Thu May 04, 2017 8:47 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

WHAT raisin bread??? Looks like a something holding a giant slab of butter.......

Hahahahahahaha!

(Personally, I would have toasted it, sprinkled it with cinnamon & sugar AND added the butter ~ but who am I to judge? LOL)

21MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Thu May 04, 2017 11:41 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

That is the way I like to eat bread. Joe always says "Having a little bread with your butter"? It grosses him out, but I love it. If the butter was melted it would be no problem, he just doesn't like thick slabs of solid butter.

22MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Thu May 04, 2017 4:33 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Some foods, I like to bite the butter, i.e. a hard roll ( Kaiser roll ) sliced in half, but must be buttered on each side.
Mashed potato, or baked potato, I like the butter to ooze from the center of the potato.
Pancakes and waffles, whipped butter if possible, and semi melted butter.

23MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Thu May 04, 2017 4:40 pm

NormM

NormM

I made meatloaf the other day. Charlie took a mini vacation to Colorado for a couple of days.MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? 20170510

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

24MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Thu May 04, 2017 5:34 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We're in Charleston, SC for Dane's Army ~ 101st Airborne ~ reunion. Today we went out to lunch at a place downtown called Hyman's Seafood.

First came a complimentary dish of boiled peanuts. It's been years since I have tried them so I figured, what the heck! Actually, these tasted much like Asian edamame, which I like a lot. Then a house made coleslaw with some pickle relish and celery seed. Dane had the 'fish & chips', haddock and steak fries and I had one of their signature dishes.....whole fried flounder. The flounder was HUGE, still plenty of fish left when I got done. I got mine with a side of collard greens (I am in the South after all....). They served the fish with a choice of sauces, apricot (with a bit of heat at the back of your throat), tartar sauce and cocktail sauce. They also had a spicy mayo mix. All were good ~ I ended up mixing the spicy mayo and the apricot for my own special blend. I sure hope there are no plans for supper.....

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? IMG_20170504_144245847_HDR

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? IMG_20170504_144740426

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? IMG_20170504_150017377_HDR

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? IMG_20170504_150027984

I just could't finish it all.....

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? IMG_20170504_151745584

25MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Thu May 04, 2017 6:04 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Never had boiled peanuts or flounder. Maybe some day.
Tuna sandwiches tonight.
I have been playing around with pastry cream. I need a thick vanilla for a Boston Cream pie. It is strange because some recipes use whole eggs. I am used to yolks only. Some use whole milk, others use half n' half or cream with whole milk. The recipe for the pastry cream that came with the Boston Cream Pie recipe wasn't sweet enough. It just tasted like eggs. I made another with half cream and half milk which I like but I am waiting for it to chill so I can see if it will be thick enough. If it isn't I will go back to the original recipe and just add more sugar.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 10]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum