Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper?

+4
Bugster2
Crybaby
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 10]

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a small amount of Italian Shredded Beef leftover from the sliders I made on Sunday for our pot luck at Lyn's.  So, tonight was Italian Beef Sandwiches (on fresh bakery rolls), fried potato chunks w/onion and broccoli/carrot medley.  A certain Mr. Amazing heard me telling DD#1 that I was making fried potatoes because I was HUNGRY for them and he could skip them if he preferred not ingesting them and going off his maintenance diet.

And that's exactly what he did. I think it's great that he has WAY MORE self-control than I do. I try to abide by his dietary requests (like last night when I subbed roasted cauliflower for potatoes ~ a white veg to 'fake out' the 'food eye' so I can try to fool myself that it's a potato.......I'm SO pathetic! LOL 

We both suffer from "C~D~O"   (That's the same as "O~C~D" but the letters are in the correct alphabetical order, as they SHOULD be!)

JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper? - Page 7 IMG_20170124_170206339

NormM

NormM

Our dinner tonight was a Pot Roast in the Instant Pot with potatoes, parsnips and turnips.  We also had green beans and sourdough bread.JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper? - Page 7 Dscn3916

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper? - Page 7 HVNq7n

JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper? - Page 7 JGHg7e

I just finished frying a small batch of snack meat balls.
Used a lot of small diced Italian bread. You can see the nibbles of bread which fry up nice and crispy.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Our dinner tonight was a Pot Roast in the Instant Pot with potatoes, parsnips and turnips.  We also had green beans and sourdough bread.JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper? - Page 7 Dscn3916

You made a great tasty looking meal there Norm.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I had a small amount of Italian Shredded Beef leftover from the sliders I made on Sunday for our pot luck at Lyn's.  So, tonight was Italian Beef Sandwiches (on fresh bakery rolls), fried potato chunks w/onion and broccoli/carrot medley.  A certain Mr. Amazing heard me telling DD#1 that I was making fried potatoes because I was HUNGRY for them and he could skip them if he preferred not ingesting them and going off his maintenance diet.

And that's exactly what he did.  I think it's great that he has WAY MORE self-control than I do.  I try to abide by his dietary requests (like last night when I subbed roasted cauliflower for potatoes ~ a white veg to 'fake out' the 'food eye' so I can try to fool myself that it's a potato.......I'm SO pathetic!  LOL 

We both suffer from "C~D~O"   (That's the same as "O~C~D" but the letters are in the correct alphabetical order, as they SHOULD be!)

JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper? - Page 7 IMG_20170124_170206339

Nice rolls for the beef. Those potatoes look tasty. Nice and caramelized.

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Our dinner tonight was a Pot Roast in the Instant Pot with potatoes, parsnips and turnips.  We also had green beans and sourdough bread.JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper? - Page 7 Dscn3916

How long does a pot roast take in the Instant Pot, Norm?

DD#1 and I were discussing the Instant Pot and she's trying to decide if she would use one. I know she doesn't want another 'thing' sitting on her counter top.

NormM

NormM

I used the slow cooker function on the Instant Pot because I had all day, but the Meat/stew setting is for 35 minutes. A whole chicken takes 15 minutes. I am using it a lot more than I thought i would and I have not used the Sous Vide since I got it.

bethk

bethk
Admin

That's interesting.....please keep posting so I can keep her informed on what it will and won't do ~ I think she's really on the fence on this one.

NormM

NormM

http://instantpot.com  It is programmable for saute, soup,  meat, poultry, rice, beans, yogurt, steaming, slow cooking, etc.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was a Wendy's cheeseburger w lettuce tomato, and onions; and a small fries. Tina was still full from a late lunch. Meranda ( GD ) hat a baked potato.
Boy! I could surely go for a big piece of cheese cake. Gotta make one!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:I didn't hear any complaints at all so I'm thinking the salad supper was the right choice tonight. I think his chicken cutlet was about 7.5 ounces and mine was about 5 ounces ~ seasoned with my Hungarian steak seasoning and sauteed off in my little cast iron skillet. So, I'm thinking with that much protein we should both be satisfied for the rest of the night.

Your salads not only look tasty, Beth, but they're always very pretty, too. I could've eaten either one. Couldn't spot the peppers on Dane's, though; were they cut up?

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:It could be to add some color and bring out the sugars in the vegetables.....like searing meat adds to the pot before you deglaze.....lots of flavor there.  But I don't think it really would make a great deal of difference in a pot of split pea soup so you could go with your own instincts and skip that step.

I think it would make a LOT of difference in the flavor by pan roasting them first even in pea soup. I think the veggies' flavor would be much more pronounced if you did it the way the recipe called for. As you would say, Missy, Just sayin!

Razz

Bugster2

Bugster2

Where did the pan roasting of the veggies come from? My recipe had nothing to do with pan roasting. It was "saute until limp".

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Where did the pan roasting of the veggies come from? My recipe had nothing to do with pan roasting. It was "saute until limp".

Wooo wooo!  Sorry I didn't quote you, Debbie.  I called it pan roasting, as it was what I thought I would do with it if sautéing it in a pan on the stove: I'd go for browning it in the pan more than making it limp.  And regardless of what I called it, I thought I would answer your question by saying yes, I think it would indeed make a difference rather than just throwing it in to boil.

And of course, I said, "I think the veggies' flavor would be much more pronounced if you did it the way the recipe called for" in the same message, so I thought it would be clear what I thought. So sorry I confused you.

Bugster2

Bugster2

It is funny how things morph from one thing into another. LOL!

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am sorry, I am really out of sorts today so I guess my previous post didn't sound right. I am feeling really crowded in my house. I don't have enough room for anything. I am not a hoarder and when I start feeling closed in I start having anxiety which turns me into a prize bitch. My husband and I have to share a small walk-in closet and we have a small hall closet that holds the vacuums. So, storage is at a premium and for some reason when I say right, my husband says left so I get crabby.

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, so on to other subjects...........

I've got a marinated London Broil thawed for supper tonight. It's a pretty good size so I'm thinking of grilling it tonight for a meal and then using the leftovers for a steak salad for later.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Don't you just love it when a store advertises an item and you make a special trip to the store to get it and when you get there you find out that they never got it in? I went to Albertsons to get a turkey for 49 cents a pound and was told they are getting them in a couple of days. Right. Bait and switch.

Steak, grilled artichoke and Noodle Roni tonight.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I just got a book on Mediterranean cooking. After looking at it I think I have to send it back. Too many items we can't or won't eat:

eggplant
feta cheese
red peppers
cilantro
red pepper flakes
cayenne
lamb
swordfish
bell peppers
olives

and many more

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Don't you just love it when a store advertises an item and you make a special trip to the store to get it and when you get there you find out that they never got it in? I went to Albertsons to get a turkey for 49 cents a pound and was told they are getting them in a couple of days. Right. Bait and switch.

Steak, grilled artichoke and Noodle Roni tonight.

Tina hates that too; when they don't have the item that is in the mail flyer.
I tell her to call the store, and be sure they have it before you drive there.
She say's, "and who the heck do you think, is going to give you the right answer?"

But, if you read the flyer, at the bottom, it says ( *not responsible for not having the items, and a rain check will be issued for a time ( if ) we have the item available )

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper is a scramble tonight. Tina is up at the hospital. Uncle Gabe, was brought to the ER. He has pneumonia, had a heart attack, and is failing. All can be done, is medication, and keep him comfortable.
The whole hospital is infected with the flue. Tina just got home now. He is alert, and getting a room in ICU. The dr. just left, and said to Tina, "Where is you mask?"..... Tina said for what?"
He said, he has the flue. .... Nice that since 8:30 this morning, the staff / medical team, never told Tina he was infected with the flue!
Like, what the heck is a little mask going to do??.....

Anyway.... I did just pull a cheesecake out of the oven to cool. I made a cheesecake.
Can't wait to have some.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Some nights the stars align and my meal comes together seamlessly.....I actually heard, "You out did yourself with this steak tonight!"

It's the same London Broil in my Dream Dinners Provencal Steak Marinade as I usually grill. But tonight it came out exceptionally well ~ the flavor of the marinade was still there, it was cooked to the perfect "medium rare" temperature, it sat for the exactly right amount of time for the juices to redistribute into the tissue.....perfection! I commented that I didn't know if it was because I cleaned the grill (broke it down and really scraped off the 'gunk'...) that made the difference ~ to which he said, "Well, if that's the case, clean the grill more often!" LOL

JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper? - Page 7 IMG_20170126_171505035_HDR

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Some nights the stars align and my meal comes together seamlessly.....I actually heard, "You out did yourself with this steak tonight!"

It's the same London Broil in my Dream Dinners Provencal Steak Marinade as I usually grill.  But tonight it came out exceptionally well ~ the flavor of the marinade was still there, it was cooked to the perfect "medium rare" temperature, it sat for the exactly right amount of time for the juices to redistribute into the tissue.....perfection!  I commented that I didn't know if it was because I cleaned the grill (broke it down and really scraped off the 'gunk'...) that made the difference ~ to which he said, "Well, if that's the case, clean the grill more often!"   LOL

JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper? - Page 7 IMG_20170126_171505035_HDR

Looks delicious.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NOT Heavy. Nice and light!

JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper? - Page 7 H2TlyK

JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper? - Page 7 ZAdZJM

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Supper is a scramble tonight. Tina is up at the hospital. Uncle Gabe, was brought to the ER. He has pneumonia, had a heart attack, and is failing. All can be done, is medication, and keep him comfortable.
The whole hospital is infected with the flue. Tina just got home now. He is alert, and getting a room in ICU.  The dr. just left, and said to Tina, "Where is you mask?"..... Tina said for what?"
He said, he has the flue. .... Nice that since 8:30 this morning, the staff / medical team, never told Tina he was infected with the flue!
Like, what the heck is a little mask going to do??.....

Anyway.... I did just pull a cheesecake out of the oven to cool. I made a cheesecake.
Can't wait to have some.

OH, crap! Poor Tina, on the run again. It sounds like she's in for the long haul with Gabe. Fortunately for him, they can keep him comfortable and out of pain. It sounds just like when MY grandfather was in the hospital after a heart attack.....ended up with pneumonia.

But get her to go to the doc for a zpak at the first sign of feeling like the flu has hit her. IF they will give her anything. Lawdy, she's got such a delicate constitution as it is ~ and the baby is there with all those germs.....get some chicken stock made at the ready! Time to be prepared.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum