Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper?

+4
Bugster2
Crybaby
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 10]

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:NOT Heavy. Nice and light!

JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper? - Page 8 ZAdZJM

That is one tall, light looking cheesecake, Jimmy. Nice job!

bethk

bethk
Admin

And on the off chance that he has a chance to stop by, this is for you, Steven:

Happy Birthday, Jetfan !!!

We've missed you and hope all is well with you and yours!

NormM

NormM

Sorry to hear the news Jimmy.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:I am sorry, I am really out of sorts today so I guess my previous post didn't sound right. I am feeling really crowded in my house. I don't have enough room for anything. I am not a hoarder and when I start feeling closed in I start having anxiety which turns me into a prize bitch. My husband and I have to share a small walk-in closet and we have a small hall closet that holds the vacuums. So, storage is at a premium and for some reason when I say right, my husband says left so I get crabby.

No problem, Debbie.

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Some nights the stars align and my meal comes together seamlessly.....I actually heard, "You out did yourself with this steak tonight!"

It's the same London Broil in my Dream Dinners Provencal Steak Marinade as I usually grill.  But tonight it came out exceptionally well ~ the flavor of the marinade was still there, it was cooked to the perfect "medium rare" temperature, it sat for the exactly right amount of time for the juices to redistribute into the tissue.....perfection!  I commented that I didn't know if it was because I cleaned the grill (broke it down and really scraped off the 'gunk'...) that made the difference ~ to which he said, "Well, if that's the case, clean the grill more often!"   LOL

JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper? - Page 8 IMG_20170126_171505035_HDR

I don't usually reprint pics because of the size but this was just too pretty not to repeat! Even the carrots and peas (which I don't care for) looked pretty! I'm glad Dane gave you such a nice compliment, as you sure deserved it, Beth.

Now, since no one else asked, I will! Why don't you share your Provencal Steak Marinade with us? I apologize if you've done so in the past, but I don't have it.

If you don't mind me asking, how much a pound is London Broil going for in your area? Most recently, London Broil and flank steak have been about $6.99/lb. here. I might spring for a London Broil once I get your recipe, as we haven't had one of those in ages. Brian is definitely a beef guy, too. I have that griddle now on my stove so I could do it there if Brian isn't up to grilling it or the weather isn't conducive to it. I'm laughing, as I'm thinking that I could do it on a Monday so Lynn, who cleans for me, can clean up the stove top on Tuesday when she comes!!!

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:NOT Heavy. Nice and light!

JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper? - Page 8 ZAdZJM

This is another one that deserves a "reprint." Jimmy, your cheesecake is showcase beautiful! Wish I had two pieces right now, as Brian would fight me for it if I only had one!

Please tell Beth I'm sorry about her Uncle and to please take it easy and don't run herself down trying to be at the hospital constantly.

Brian's aunt, who lives in MA, had a stroke the other day. She's 93 and now has bleeding in the brain, so his other aunt, Aunt Mary, spoke to me the other day and told me that they figure it's just a couple of days at best for Aunt Josephine. Last time we went together to MA for a wedding and to see everyone (in 2012), Aunt Josephine, at Brian's request, made her famous chocolate eclairs. Her family had a big barbecue and outdoor party for us at Aunt J's house and I quickly found out why here eclairs were famous, as they were divine. I also saw her quilting room and some of the gorgeous quilts she'd made over the years, which I didn't know about. Poor heart couldn't work on them anymore as her eyesight wouldn't allow her to. Aunt Mary wanted me to tell Brian not to come to the funeral, as it's too much traveling. I told her he's in a 6-week cancer trial and has to go to the hospital for his treatment every three days so this time, it would be impossible, though I doubted Brian would be comfortable leaving me alone. Before I'd be able to fly, I'd have to jump thru a bunch of hoops, as I'd have to haul a box of bottles of liquid, cassettes, cording, syringes, etc., as we have to mix my medicine together every other day for my IV. It goes into a cassette which connects to a small computer pump that I program to give me the current amount of medication called for. Then we connect the pump to the IV in my left arm. I should try to get it done one day so if I have to fly, I'm all set but it's a complicated process to get approval to fly with all those small bottles of liquid so I have to get ready for a real pain in the rear process...

Crybaby

Crybaby

I saw the chef make this on The Today Show on Tuesday and it was not only a unique way to "construct" lasagna, but it looked absolutely divine.  It's extremely time consuming to make but you could always make the pork and sauce on one day and then make the béchamel and "construct" it the next day.  Makes a lot but this would be a joy if you put a couple of pieces in the freezer for a cold rainy day.  

Barbecue Pork Lasagna with Grandma’s Sunday Gravy
Makes 8 to 10 servings / Recipe from Matt Abdoo via The Today Show
Prep time: 4 hours / I love this recipe because it marries two of my favorite things to cook: Italian food and barbecue. In addition to using the slow-cooked pork barbecue and Sunday gravy in the lasagna, you can serve the leftovers separately. Try the barbecue piled into sandwiches and the gravy served over pasta

Technique tips: Once the bone in the pork shoulder can easily be removed, you know the pork is done and is ready to shred. While cooking the Sunday Gravy, be sure to keep the heat on a medium-low setting and stir occasionally to prevent the tomato from scorching.

Swap options: Swap the pulled pork for barbecued chicken or duck thighs or beef brisket.

Rub for Pork Shoulder:
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup sweet paprika
2-1/2 Tablespoons salt
1 Tablespoon granulated garlic
1 Tablespoon granulated onion
3 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1 Tablespoon black pepper

Pork shoulder:
8-10 pounds bone-in pork shoulder
1 quart chicken stock
1 can tomato paste
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar

Béchamel Sauce:
6 Tablespoons butter
6 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 cups whole milk
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg

Grandma's Sunday Gravy:
2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
3 sweet Italian sausage links (no casing)
5 cloves garlic, smashed
1 medium onion, cut into small dice
6 ounces tomato paste
1/2 cup red wine
Three 28-ounce cans pureed tomatoes
Salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
10 basil leaves

To Assemble Lasagna:
2 packages no-boil pasta sheets, such as Delverde brand (2 pounds)
2 pounds barbecue pork shoulder
4 cups béchamel sauce
2 quarts Grandma's Sunday Gravy
2 cups grated Parmesan
Chopped parsley, for garnish

To make the rub:
Combine all dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.  

To make the slow-cooker BBQ pork:
Generously rub the pork shoulder with spice mix to cover. Place pork shoulder into slow cooker with chicken stock, tomato paste, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar and any remaining rub. Cook on low for 8 hours or until the bone can be removed easily. Using tongs, shred the pork and incorporate all of the juices into the meat. Reserve for the lasagna or use in sandwiches or barbecue plates with your favorite barbecue sauce.  

To make the béchamel sauce:
Melt butter in a medium saucepan, then add flour and stir over medium heat until the mixture is smooth and turns a light golden brown, about 6-7 minutes.  Add milk to the butter mixture, 1 cup at a time, whisking continuously until the sauce is very smooth. Bring to a boil and cook for 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and nutmeg. Set aside covered with plastic wrap so it does not form a skin or pour into a disposable plastic pastry bag (or plastic zip-top bag) until you are ready to make the lasagna.

To make the Sunday gravy:  
     Warm a large sauce pot over medium-high heat and add 1 Tablespoon olive oil.  Once the oil just begins to smoke, add the sausage and cook until browned, using a fork or spoon to break it into small crumbles. When sausage is cooked through, remove from pan and reserve.
     Add remaining 1 Tablespoon olive oil, turn the heat down to medium low, add smashed garlic and cook until light brown and aromatic. Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent. Add tomato paste and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often to prevent burning. Add the red wine, stirring to deglaze, and cook down until red wine is reduced by half.
     Return the browned sausage to the pot and add pureed tomatoes. Season with salt, pepper and sugar to taste. Bring the tomatoes to a simmer, then turn the heat down to low and cook for about an hour, stirring occasionally.  Taste the sauce and adjust seasoning if necessary with sugar and salt. Add basil, then remove sauce from heat and cool completely to reserve for lasagna. (The sauce may also be used over pasta instead of in the lasagna.)

To assemble lasagna:
     Preheat oven to 350 °F. Gently rewarm the barbecue pork, béchamel and Sunday Gravy.
      Line a large baking pan with parchment paper and spoon on some of the gravy. Lay lasagna sheets over the sauce, then distribute about 2 ounces of the pork shoulder evenly over the sheet. Add a layer of Sunday Gravy (about 2 ounces). Using a pastry bag (or a plastic zip-top bag with the corner snipped off), zig-zag about 2 ounces of the béchamel across the pasta sheets. Sprinkle with about 1 ounce of grated Parmesan cheese. Place the next set of pasta sheets on top and gently press into the fillings.
     Continue steps, layering until you use up all your pasta sheets. Bake lasagna until noodles are tender and the lasagna is warmed through. Alternately, assemble the lasagna, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour to overnight. Then slice off individual servings, sear in a skillet, then bake until warmed through, about 10 minutes.

To serve:
Spoon about 2 Tablespoons of Sunday Gravy on each plate, top with a slice of lasagna and sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.

Check it out, if this link works, of course; it's a video of the chef preparing it (you might have to page down to see photo block with video):

http://www.today.com/recipes/barbecue-pork-lasagna-grandma-s-sunday-gravy-t107315

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have always thought my roasted asparagus lasagna recipe was a nice twist to the standard lasagna but yours is over the top. Can't wait to try it!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:I have always thought my roasted asparagus lasagna recipe was a nice twist to the standard lasagna but yours is over the top. Can't wait to try it!

Laughed at your calling it "mine," Debbie.  I hope you (and anyone else who likes lasagna) watch the video, as the completed lasagna is really fantastic looking.  To tell the truth, I don't know if I would cut a piece off and then sear it, but if Brian was involved (which he definitely would be if I made this time-consuming recipe), he would insist his be seared, as he loves crunchy edges on anything!  

It would be quite an effort to make it, but it sure would be fun to complete it.  And like I said, you could always make it in "parts" so you wouldn't lose your mind!  Chef said he cheated and smoked the pork loin he used at the Today Show to save time.  He also suggested using your own favorite rub if you wanted to, so that, of course, would save some time. Brian could smoke the pork one day while I made the sauce (we don't have a slow cooker though we're trying to find a place for one in our kitchen) and then the following day, I could make the béchamel and proceed to put it together.  Splitting the procedure in half would make it a lot easier to tackle.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Supper is a scramble tonight. Tina is up at the hospital. Uncle Gabe, was brought to the ER. He has pneumonia, had a heart attack, and is failing. All can be done, is medication, and keep him comfortable.
The whole hospital is infected with the flue. Tina just got home now. He is alert, and getting a room in ICU.  The dr. just left, and said to Tina, "Where is you mask?"..... Tina said for what?"
He said, he has the flue. .... Nice that since 8:30 this morning, the staff / medical team, never told Tina he was infected with the flue!
Like, what the heck is a little mask going to do??.....

Anyway.... I did just pull a cheesecake out of the oven to cool. I made a cheesecake.
Can't wait to have some.

OH, crap!  Poor Tina, on the run again.  It sounds like she's in for the long haul with Gabe.  Fortunately for him, they can keep him comfortable and out of pain.  It sounds just like when MY grandfather was in the hospital after a heart attack.....ended up with pneumonia.  

But get her to go to the doc for a zpak at the first sign of feeling like the flu has hit her.  IF they will give her anything.  Lawdy, she's got such a delicate constitution as it is ~ and the baby is there with all those germs.....get some chicken stock made at the ready!  Time to be prepared.

Yeah! Good ole Tina. I swear, I gotta get her a red cross to put on her car door!
She's up at the hospital now, and he's feeling better. As a matter of fact, he ate. That new flue strain, is a killer on the stomach. It lasts three days they say. Oh! and guess what! He gets the flue and pneumonia shot every year! ..... Tina and I do not get them. Last time we did, we got terribly ill. JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper? - Page 8 2363720550

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:
Now, since no one else asked, I will!  Why don't you share your Provencal Steak Marinade with us?  I apologize if you've done so in the past, but I don't have it.  

If you don't mind me asking, how much a pound is London Broil going for in your area?  Most recently, London Broil and flank steak have been about $6.99/lb. here.  I might spring for a London Broil once I get your recipe, as we haven't had one of those in ages.  Brian is definitely a beef guy, too.  I have that griddle now on my stove so I could do it there if Brian isn't up to grilling it or the weather isn't conducive to it.  I'm laughing, as I'm thinking that I could do it on a Monday so Lynn, who cleans for me, can clean up the stove top on Tuesday when she comes!!!  

The Provencal Flank Steak recipe is the first in the Outdoor Grilling section. It's from a Dream Dinners cookbook and freezes really well.

I buy the London Broil when they're BOGO sale.....then I end up with four meal for the price of one steak (usually in the $6 - $7 per pound price). But they're usually well trimmed so all I have to do is cut 'em in half and put them into a quart bag, pour over the marinade ~ seal & freeze flat. When they thaw the marinade adds the flavor to the meat. I just drain, dry w/towels & slather on some evoo so it doesn't stick to the grill because there's honey in the marinade. I try to never go further than medium rare (or less) so the meat is tender.....and, as always, slice thin across the grain.

I highly recommend this one!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I don't believe this helps to tenderize , but anyone remember, "Adolph's Meat Tenderizer!"My mom used it a lot on roasts and steaks. Oh! and how about those needles that are mounted on like a brass knuckles, and you pierce the meats with it.

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I don't believe this helps to tenderize , but anyone remember, "Adolph's Meat Tenderizer!"My mom used it a lot on roasts and steaks. Oh! and how about those needles that are mounted on like a brass knuckles, and you pierce the meats with it.

Isn't that the stuff that had the pineapple extract and turned meat tissue into mush?

I think my mom used it on bottom round steak, trying to call it "steak" ~ it was shoe leather! LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper? - Page 8 5d0457ca-ad2e-4998-9ca1-544c196ebbfb_1.2393b6dd3bb7bcf24fa948e4cb6f0452

Years ago, the container was a tin; with a screw on tin top.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:Oh! and guess what! He gets the flue and pneumonia shot every year! ..... Tina and I do not get them. Last time we did, we got terribly ill.
Just remember, Jimmy, that there are TONS of not only flu types but pneumonia types, too. I got a pneumonia shot about a year and a half ago (they last a while so you don't need one every year) and still ended up with pneumonia last June. But luckily, it didn't kill me and I hardly had any chest congestion, as I had no coughing problems at all. Both flu and pneumonia kill lots of people, primarily the young and the elderly. You couldn't pay be to skip my flu shot, even though I, too, got sick the first two years I took it. Though I was ill, I wasn't anywhere near as sick as I was the last time I got the flu! Often, it's another strain of flu you get and usually, that strain is not as damaging as it would've been had you not had the flu vaccine. Even though you guys opt not to get a flu shot, they save tons of lives!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:The Provencal Flank Steak recipe is the first in the Outdoor Grilling section. It's from a Dream Dinners cookbook and freezes really well.

Thanks, Beth. When they have BOGO sales down here, I have NEVER seen one include any type or cut of meat. Never!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had lunch with the neighborhood ladies at a Mexican restaurant....didn't think I would eat supper.

But, as usual, since HE wanted the leftover steak made into a supper steak salad I just had to have MY little bit ~ it was THAT good!

I gave him extra egg so he'd get more protein that he's been craving.

JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper? - Page 8 IMG_20170127_170056935

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I don't believe this helps to tenderize , but anyone remember, "Adolph's Meat Tenderizer!"My mom used it a lot on roasts and steaks. Oh! and how about those needles that are mounted on like a brass knuckles, and you pierce the meats with it.

I use something called a jaccard.

https://www.amazon.com/Jaccard-200348-Supertendermatic-48-Blade-Tenderizer/dp/B001347JK6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485558326&sr=8-1&keywords=jaccard+meat+tenderizer

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had supper. No thrills; no frills. A ham / cheese / salami / lettuce tomato onion sub.

T picked it up across the road from a little deli shoppe across from the hospital.

I drizzled hot pepper olive oil on it, and washed it down with a beer.

I await a little to have a coffee, and a piece of that cheese cake I made last night.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:

I use something called a jaccard.

https://www.amazon.com/Jaccard-200348-Supertendermatic-48-Blade-Tenderizer/dp/B001347JK6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485558326&sr=8-1&keywords=jaccard+meat+tenderizer

Wow! that's neat! .... Does it work?

cookingirl

cookingirl

Jimmy, Tell Tina to take care of herself... wash her hands, constantly..and a mask when in the hospital.. who cares what it looks like.. she has to think of herself, you, the baby, and her family...forget everyone else....and GLOVES when she is near GABE... he will live forever...sorry, that was nasty of me.. God will get me..sigh...if he has not already..

Tina does too much for everyone and not enough for herself....

The norovirus does not respond to the Purell sanitizers.. heard it from one of the TV docs the other day.... it does respond to hand washing with soap...

take care and love

cookingirl

cookingirl

Michelle, what part of Massachusetts does Brian's family live...I am in Massachusetts, but near Boston.. I could at least order some flowers for you, or get a Spiritual Bouquet from my church.. If it is near me, I could go to the wake or funeral......

let me know..
((hugs)) to you and Brian...

cookingirl

cookingirl

Beth, your suppers look gorgeous....

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:Jimmy, Tell Tina to take care of herself... wash her hands, constantly..and a mask when in the hospital.. who cares what it looks like.. she has to think of herself, you, the baby, and her family...forget everyone else....and GLOVES when she is near GABE... he will live forever...sorry, that was nasty of me.. God will get me..sigh...if he has not already..

Tina does too much for everyone and not enough for herself....

The norovirus does not respond to the Purell sanitizers.. heard it from one of the TV docs the other day.... it does respond to hand washing with soap...

take care and love

Thanks Cindy, I will tell her. She was using those towelets in her purse. I told her to use the kitchen wipes with the lysol or clorox.
I don't like those Purel wipes.

NormM

NormM

Charlie went to an Asian furniture store and he got a table and a cabinet. Then we went to Overland Park and I got some stuff from Penzeys and while we were there we had lunch at an Ethiopian restaurant.  I just had supper of some dry salami, cheese and celery.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum