Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ?

+5
NormM
Crybaby
bethk
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 17]

Bugster2

Bugster2

There was some church around here that said you must be baptized by the church in order to work for them. There is a church about a half mile from me. It is huge. The pastor is Rick Warren who wrote "The Purpose Driven Life". He also was at Obama's inauguration giving some kind of blessing. Seems like a nice guy, has made millions from his book and then gave away 90% of it. They have a large campus and a 9 million dollar child center with a rock climbing wall. When the economy tanked so did the church's finances. They put out the word and got a million dollars in one day so they could pay their bills. What I don't quite understand is how, three months later they were able to buy another piece of land for $20 million. Anyway, I digress. You can't belong to his church unless you attend bible study classes. We have friends that got sucked into the church and now have really nothing to do with us on a social level. They tried their best to get us to attend church but Joe and I have a foul taste left in our mouths from being raised in the Catholic church so organized religion is not on our plate.

NormM

NormM

My parents grew up in the 30's and I was born in the 40's so they were fairly typical of middle class people of the time. They got permission (when it was still possible to do so) for me to go to an all white elementary school. The one in the district where I lived had a substantial % of Mexicans and possibly blacks too. They didn't want me going to school in a "rough" neighborhood.
All my friends in my neighborhood went to Catholic school. I didn't know Protestants came out on weekdays until I was in my teens and moved to the suburbs.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

This is a funny one....
Poor Tina was in the girl scouts when she was little, and the meeting place was the Court Street Methodist church in the basement where Hillary Rodham Clinton's family went to church...in Scranton, PA
She said, she would go thru the front entrance, and hold her hands aside her eyes like blinds on a horse, because she was told that if she even looked into the church, it would be a Mortal Sin, and she would have to tell the priest at confession, that she sinned by looking.

Truthfully, she was tempted to look, and curiosity won. She peeked, and was in Awe, when she saw there were no Statues in the church. It played on her mind that she sinned by looking, and she actually confessed it as a sin. The priest did give her a scolding and threatoned to tell her mother if she ever looked again.

People don't believe it when she tells them, but I know that is what was drummed into our heads. We went to church at St. Anthony's and the property next door, was the Lutheran Church.
The priest pounded into our heads, to not even walk across the front of the church, but to cross the street, and then walk across..... Talk about Propaganda!!.... Geesh!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina and GD had turkey breast roll ups, with stove top stuffing, and cheese, then rolled and baked with gravy on top.

Me.... I have some scallops I will broil with white wine and butter / oil.

They went to play bingo at the .....hahahaha.... ( United Methodist Church ) in town.
And Tina knows now,....it's NOT a Sin!! hahahahaaaaha

Bugster2

Bugster2

Fried mozzarella sticks with marinara tonight.

NormM

NormM

I asked Charlie if he'd like a regular slow cooked pork roast, carnitas, pulled pork in the smoker or spicy Pork bulgogi. He said he was surprised that I asked. We had bulgogi.

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 12 DSCN3712_zpscugw4t6u

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hey, guys....forgot to tell you I'm not around for a few days. Lyn's home from her knee replacement surgery and her husband has appointments every day so I'm on nursing/therapy duty. Saturday night her daughter-in-law flies in and will take over so I'll be back home on Sunday.

Didn't want you to think I fell off the edge of the earth!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Hey, guys....forgot to tell you I'm not around for a few days.  Lyn's home from her knee replacement surgery and her husband has appointments every day so I'm on nursing/therapy duty.  Saturday night her daughter-in-law flies in and will take over so I'll be back home on Sunday.

That's ok Nurse Beth! You're excused from posting for a couple days....LOL... don't let it happen again No

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

NormM wrote:I asked Charlie if he'd like a regular slow cooked pork roast, carnitas, pulled pork in the smoker or spicy Pork bulgogi.  He said he was surprised that I asked.  We had bulgogi.

How did you cook your bulgogi Norm? Care to share the recipe? thank you

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Crybaby wrote:
DomesticGoddess wrote:Imelda HL, those Stuff Peppers look sooooooooo good, as well as the zucchini, carrot noodles, and the corn cakes!!

Cindi, Imelda's meals ALWAYS look good!  Not only do they sound delicious, but my mouth waters every time she posts a photo.  She also makes some delicious dishes that look really exotic, too, that you're just dying to taste.  Her husband Dirk grows lots of vegetables, too, that she turns into more delicious dishes -- the vegetables must be lining up just to go out in style at her hands!  

oh why.. thank you Cindi and Michelle, trial and error, that's what I did Laughing

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Hey, guys....forgot to tell you I'm not around for a few days.  Lyn's home from her knee replacement surgery and her husband has appointments every day so I'm on nursing/therapy duty.  Saturday night her daughter-in-law flies in and will take over so I'll be back home on Sunday.

Good luck Beth, you are really a true friend AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 12 3593629538

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I cleaned up my pantry cabinet yesterday and found my cast iron skillet, I don't remember when I put it in there.. it's rusty and I wonder what I should I do with it? Help please...

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 12 DSCN2115_zpse9dksr5g

NormM

NormM

This recipe has had some changes over the years. The last change came when Charlie's mom looked at the recipe and suggested that I change red pepper flakes to red pepper paste.

PORK BULGOGE

Recipe from Norm Matthews

1 Boston butt pork roast, sliced wafer thin
4 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons sesame salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 cloves garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
2 tablespoons sake or dry sherry or Chinese cooking wine
2 tablespoons Korean red pepper paste (Gochujang)
8 green onion, sliced i-inch, diagonally
toasted sesame seeds
peanut oil-for frying Cooked on stove top grill or outside on the grill.

Mix all ingredients except oil. Set aside for a few minutes. Heat oil in wok or large frying pan. Add pork and marinade mixture and stir fry until meat is no longer pink. Serve with rice.

NormM

NormM

If you rub the skillet with cooking oil, the rust will go away, then season it as any cast iron pan. You can hit it with steel wool first to take off the rust if you prefer.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:This recipe has had some changes over the years.  The last change came when Charlie's mom looked at the recipe and suggested that I change red pepper flakes to red pepper paste.

PORK BULGOGE

Recipe from Norm Matthews

1 Boston  butt pork roast, sliced wafer thin
4 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons sesame salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 cloves garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
2 tablespoons sake or dry sherry or Chinese cooking wine
2 tablespoons  Korean red pepper paste (Gochujang)
8 green onion, sliced i-inch, diagonally
toasted sesame seeds
peanut oil-for frying   Cooked on stove top grill or outside on the grill.

Mix all ingredients except oil.  Set aside for a few minutes.  Heat oil in wok or large frying pan.  Add pork and marinade mixture and stir fry until meat is no longer pink.  Serve with rice.

Wow, that sounds great to make. I would imagine wafer thin sliced beef can be used also, right??.....

One more....can that be eaten over noodles, or does it have to be rice?

NormM

NormM

I don't see why you couldn't use beef and noodles.  In Korea though, the beef bulgogi does not use pepper paste.  Korean beef bulgogi is somewhat sweet.  It uses Asian pear, pear nectar or even apple instead of red pepper paste and the rice is served on the side.  It's up to whatever you want. Noodles, rice or even potatoes, it just would not be the way it is eaten in Korea.  At our restaurant, we offered it (beef) on the kids menu with a hamburger bun.  I think bulgogi just means grilled and you can use any kind of meat but the marinade varies somewhat, depending.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Imelda HL wrote:I cleaned up my pantry cabinet yesterday and found my cast iron skillet, I don't remember when I put it in there.. it's rusty and I wonder what I should I do with it? Help please...

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 12 DSCN2115_zpse9dksr5g

My goodness that is in sad shape. No seasoning what-so-ever. You need to re-season the pan. If you have an outside gas grill, that was the easiest way for me to season my pan. Keeps the heat and any stink outside. I lost my directions for seasoning on my old computer, but all it really is is oil and heat. Check out the videos on YouTube for seasoning cast iron.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Imelda HL wrote:oh why.. thank you Cindi and Michelle, trial and error, that's what I did Laughing

There might be some trial on your part, Imelda, but I never see any error!

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Baby Number One ...baby # 2 didn't come till 6 years later....

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 12 3eDnLn

Darling picture, Jimmy! Thanks for sharing that with us. You and Tina look soooo young!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:Yes, married at 18....but it was a different time. There was so much uncertainty with so many of our young men either enlisting or being drafted into the Service. We wanted to grab hold of what we could as fast as we could because we never knew what the future would hold.

Brian, too, was in Vietnam (drafted) but he came home in '68. Glad I didn't know him at the time. In 1968, I was finishing up my first year of high school, or beginning my sophomore year. When I met Brian, he was 30 and I was 23. But here we are 37 years together last April and still happy as clams!

I can understand where Bugster is coming from, though, as marriages today when people are as young as 18 don't make it as did marriages years ago so young. And I agree with Jimmy, as some people painted you as an old maid years ago if you were even in your mid-20s and not married. Brian's father was 7 years younger than his mom -- his standing joke was he took Marie "off the shelf." The funny thing is she wouldn't date him 'cause she thought he was too much younger than she was. He lied about his age but when she insisted on seeing his driver's license, he got one made up making him older, as he had connections with the State of MA. So she thought he was her age for years!

I once heard one of my mom's sisters (a real pain in the butt whiner) who was visiting us from NY asking her if she was worried that my sister and I were not yet married (I was 18 which meant my sister was 21). My mom always encouraged us to WAIT to get married until we were older. Since they didn't know I could hear them, I wondered how she would respond. She said, "Gen, I would be worried if they WERE married right now!" My aunt said she just worried about her daughter, who was my age, being an old maid. I was sooooo glad she wasn't my mother, and that my mother wasn't like her...

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lyn and Bill's daughter-in-law's flight from Grand Rapids, MI was cancelled today due to bad weather so she and the grandson are flying in tomorrow. What a pain to have plans and your bags packed just to be told you'll have to delay a day.

So, I got to cook in my own kitchen tonight....well, on my own grill. I love Lyn dearly and her kitchen and house is way nicer (newer & larger) than my own, but I still like it when I'm in my own kitchen to make a meal. Tomorrow I'll make the grilled chicken meal over there after everyone arrives from the airport.

So, tonight I made myself some yummy pork steak, a baked sweet potato and sweet peas.

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 12 IMG_20160820_171131723_HDR

It tasted so good! It feels like a week since I've made myself a real meal!

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Lyn and Bill's daughter-in-law's flight from Grand Rapids, MI was cancelled today due to bad weather so she and the grandson are flying in tomorrow.  What a pain to have plans and your bags packed just to be told you'll have to delay a day.  

So, I got to cook in my own kitchen tonight....well, on my own grill.  I love Lyn dearly and her kitchen and house is way nicer (newer & larger) than my own, but I still like it when I'm in my own kitchen to make a meal.  Tomorrow I'll make the grilled chicken meal over there after everyone arrives from the airport.

So, tonight I made myself some yummy pork steak, a baked sweet potato and sweet peas.

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 12 IMG_20160820_171131723_HDR

It tasted so good!  It feels like a week since I've made myself a real meal!

It looks really good, too, Beth. Those pork steaks are so good -- they're just fatty enough on the edges to be delicious when cooked, too. Yours looks particularly yummy!

You're a very kind person, thinking of Lyn's daughter's disappointment instead of yourself when her flight was canceled. I'm glad you got to cook in your own kitchen today, though. Like Dorothy Gayle said, "There's no place like home."

Hey, when is Dane expecting to get back home? I'm sure he's missing you and his home as well. I can hear the links calling his name, too!!! Wink

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Meal looks great Beth...
Crybaby took the words right out of my mouth... Picturing, clicking the red ruby slippers, and saying..."There's No Place Like Home!"

We say that all the time when we return home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ6VT7ciR1o

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Meal looks great Beth...
Crybaby took the words right out of my mouth... Picturing, clicking the red ruby slippers, and saying..."There's No Place Like Home!"

We shout out "Sanctuary!" when we walk in, Jimmy! And when Brian returns home, I cheer -- we make the cheer sound like someone just said the magic word on Peewee's Playhouse!! He does the same thing when I come home. Then we laugh at ourselves for acting like kids and loving it. It's fun to spend your day smiling, joking and laughing -- it really helps with pain, too. Endorphins and all that. Sometimes I think it just distracts us from pain. Doesn't really matter, though, as it makes each of us feel so good.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Meal looks great Beth...

We shout out "Sanctuary!" when we walk in, Jimmy!  And when Brian returns home, I cheer -- we make the cheer sound like someone just said the magic word on Peewee's Playhouse!!  He does the same thing when I come home.  Then we laugh at ourselves for acting like kids and loving it.  It's fun to spend your day smiling, joking and laughing -- it really helps with pain, too.  Endorphins and all that.  Sometimes I think it just distracts us from pain.  Doesn't really matter, though, as it makes each of us feel so good.

My daughter was a Pee Wee Herman Fan. I was involved watching it with her on Saturdays. I laughed a lot, and together, we both got a kick out of the show.  They were some great moments, and I am so glad we enjoyed the fun together....

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 12 4653541440_c69bb93912_b

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 17]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum