Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ?

+5
NormM
Crybaby
bethk
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 17]

Crybaby

Crybaby

DomesticGoddess wrote:Imelda HL, those Stuff Peppers look sooooooooo good, as well as the zucchini, carrot noodles, and the corn cakes!!

Cindi, Imelda's meals ALWAYS look good! Not only do they sound delicious, but my mouth waters every time she posts a photo. She also makes some delicious dishes that look really exotic, too, that you're just dying to taste. Her husband Dirk grows lots of vegetables, too, that she turns into more delicious dishes -- the vegetables must be lining up just to go out in style at her hands!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Beth.... the salad plate is awesome. A couple 7 & 7's and I would cheerfully enjoy that salad plate. My dressing is just olive oil, and Romano cheese sprinkled .....

Ooops! forgot, I need crackers or Italian bread to eat salads.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:Gosh! Green Goddess dressing. I forgot about that one. I think I am going to have to buy a bottle.

Hey, thanks you guys.....I do love to play around and have a salad that is really pretty.

And I DO love the Seven Seas Green Goddess bottled dressing....I think it's suppose to have avocado in it but, quite honestly, I have my doubts about what's in the bottle.

But the reason I have always loved it is because the first time I ever had it was on the flight from San Francisco to Honolulu when I was flying to meet Dane for R & R when he was serving in Viet Nam. He had been gone for what seemed like 'forever' to a young 18 year old bride and the excitement of flying halfway around the world to see him was amazing.

So,,,,,to get back to the Green Goddess (ah, yes, I digress....) this was in 1970 and flying was completely different than it is today. I can remember getting dressed up to get on the plane. The cabin crew knew there were a number of young wives on that flight who were all excited to see their husbands. They served us champagne with our meals....a steak, asparagus, potato casserole and a cold, crispy salad with GREEN GODDESS dressing. I fell in love with it then and there.

And THAT'S my story and I'm stickin' to it!

LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had a ham and cheese with tomato and mayo, on lightly toasted seeded rye.
Tina had a piece of chocolate candy. Her tummy was aching her.

Crybaby

Crybaby

We had leftover pot roast, Basmati rice, finished up the big spinach casserole I made, and we made some horseradish sauce for the chuck roast -- we couldn't believe we hadn't made any the night before, but didn't think about it until we were just about finished eating. Brian made up for that tonight, as he loves the stuff.

For dessert we've got brownies Brian made and banana bread that our friend Lynn brought us this morning -- still warm from the oven! Lynn is the lady who cleans our house every two weeks, mows and weed-eats our yard, and also does odd jobs for us, like putting together a patio table I ordered via the Internet or fixing something. The three of us always chat a bit when she comes to the house and it has worked out to be a nice arrangement for both of us.

We have a really small yard and several years ago, we put a four by eight foot raised garden in the middle (or quasi middle, where it would get full sun) of our yard. Now that we're getting the generator for our house, we're going to have to move that garden. Different cities and Parishes (counties to you guys) have different restrictions.
We have to have ours no closer than 3 feet from a neighbor's property, and at least 5 feet from a window or door to your own residence. It also has to be raised, since our house is raised, even though we live in a no-flood flood zone. And when it's in use (you set it up for a weekly, bi-weekly or monthly test run, too), it emits carbon monoxide at a maximum of three feet on any side.

We've got a small deck on the back of our raised house, and we have a lot of plants and a Meyer Lemon Tree in a big ol' pot. The plants are flowers that can take full sun (this year it's different colored sunpatiens) for color, and then the rest are herb plants. I like to grow them in pot on the deck 'cause it's more convenient than having them in the ground.

So the generator doesn't have enough room around it to be much more than three feet from the raised garden AND the edge of the deck where the container plants are. So we're going to get Lynn (her son helps her on landscaping projects and to cut lawns when he's not working or in school) to move the raised garden back about three feet. It's so nice to have someone you know and trust be able to help you out more ways than one -- it's nice not to have to get strangers to come out to your house to do that kind of stuff. Lynn is always quite reasonable, too, so we're lucky there as well.

All that and she brought us warm-from-the-oven banana bread! Who's not lucky?!

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:Gosh! Green Goddess dressing. I forgot about that one. I think I am going to have to buy a bottle.

Hey, thanks you guys.....I do love to play around and have a salad that is really pretty.

And I DO love the Seven Seas Green Goddess bottled dressing....I think it's suppose to have avocado in it but, quite honestly, I have my doubts about what's in the bottle.  

But the reason I have always loved it is because the first time I ever had it was on the flight from San Francisco to Honolulu when I was flying to meet Dane for R & R when he was serving in Viet Nam.  He had been gone for what seemed like 'forever' to a young 18 year old bride and the excitement of flying halfway around the world to see him was amazing.

So,,,,,to get back to the Green Goddess (ah, yes, I digress....) this was in 1970 and flying was completely different than it is today.  I can remember getting dressed up to get on the plane.  The cabin crew knew there were a number of young wives on that flight who were all excited to see their husbands.  They served us champagne with our meals....a steak, asparagus, potato casserole and a cold, crispy salad with GREEN GODDESS dressing.  I fell in love with it then and there.

And THAT'S my story and I'm stickin' to it!

LOL

Loved reading this story. You painted such a nice picture for us, Beth. Now I, too, want to get a bottle to try...

bethk

bethk
Admin

You know how it is, Michelle, you associate a food with an occasion....

And for me, being so young, I hadn't had the opportunity to experience different foods that seemed at the time very 'exotic'.....the Green Goddess dressing on that salad was NOT the orange 'French' dressing that was in Mom & Dad's refrigerator at home. Everything about that trip is still very vivid in my mind.

Niagara Visitor

No cooking tonight. I went out for dinner with one of my neighbours in the condo. We walked to a tiny Japanese restaurant basically across the street. It's been there for at least 30 years, food was great, we just had 4 different appetizers we shared. We'll go back again. It's a 5 minute walk.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Married at 18. Amazing!

Bugster2

Bugster2

We had a revolting dinner/snack. I saw this recipe where you cut up frozen mac & cheese into strips, wrap it in canned pizza dough, brush with evoo and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Then you bake them. BLECH! Thought it might have possibilities like tasting somewhat like a grilled cheese. I WAS WRONG. Double BLECH!!!

Niagara Visitor

Bugster2 wrote:Married at 18. Amazing!

It wasn't amazing to me either, being married at 18. It lasted almost 52 years! Mostly fun, lots of hard work, some sad times, but generally good.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:We had a revolting dinner/snack. I saw this recipe where you cut up frozen mac & cheese into strips, wrap it in canned pizza dough, brush with evoo and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Then you bake them. BLECH! Thought it might have possibilities like tasting somewhat like a grilled cheese. I WAS WRONG. Double BLECH!!!

You know what's great, and tasty.?
Tina makes mac and cheese for GD and makes enough that is enough for GD, but enough leftover to take the leftover and fry it in a light coating of oil, and like 1/3 stick of butter ( depending on the quantity of mac and cheese.
Fry it turning occasionally till its edges brown. Cut it in small squares, and enjoy.
It is better than the original mac and cheese recipe intended.

We like the basic Mullers elbow macaroni cooked & drained; and back in the pot on low heat, then we take slices of land o lakes white american cheese, and drop slices in to mix with a splash of milk till all is cheesy and coated. That's it.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Niagara Visitor wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:Married at 18. Amazing!

It wasn't amazing to me either, being married at 18. It lasted almost 52 years!  Mostly fun, lots of hard work, some sad times, but generally good.

Yes, married at 18....but it was a different time. There was so much uncertainty with so many of our young men either enlisting or being drafted into the Service. We wanted to grab hold of what we could as fast as we could because we never knew what the future would hold.

I can remember one time when DD#2 was about 12 or 13 and so many of her friends' parents were divorced. She asked, "Why don't you and Dad get divorced?" I just thought it was an odd question as her dad and I certainly got along so I asked, "Why do you ask?".

She said her friends GOT to 'go to their dad's on weekends and go to Cedar Point (amusement park) or on vacations'.

So, the first thing that came to mind that I thought might answer her question was, "Your dad and I have an agreement. The one who wants a divorce HAS to take BOTH you and your sister AND the dog and cat and neither one of us is willing to do that!"

So, that ended the questions about divorce. LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:We had a revolting dinner/snack. I saw this recipe where you cut up frozen mac & cheese into strips, wrap it in canned pizza dough, brush with evoo and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Then you bake them. BLECH! Thought it might have possibilities like tasting somewhat like a grilled cheese. I WAS WRONG. Double BLECH!!!

I would think it would be difficult to get the bread dough to cook well when it's filled with a moist pasta.

But I've seen where the original mac & cheese is pressed into a casserole at least 2" thick and cooled completely. Then it's cut into strips or squares and lightly floured, rolled in egg wash and then into seasoned bread crumbs before being deep fried until hot on the inside and crispy on the inside.

I would think the most difficult thing would be to get the right blend of pasta & cheese sauce so it was still 'gooey' but not so loose that it fell apart when fried.

I think Jimmy's idea of crisping in a pan is the best for a home cook......

Bugster2

Bugster2

The pizza dough did cook all the way through but the problem was the taste. It was Pillsbury canned dough and it tasted like chit. The mac & cheese was Stouffers and it has that sour mop taste that I can detect. I wish I knew what that taste is called. I can taste it in turkey and a few other things. Katie and Joe didn't think it was bad.
I have made Paula Deen's fried mac & cheese which was pretty good.

As for getting married at 18: I still think it is pretty amazing. Obviously, true love and understanding. Frankly, I don't think the average person (which you are not) should get married before age 25. That is when the part of the brain that gives you any sense starts to kick in. My husband and I have known each other since we were 13. We started dating at 17 but if we had married at 18 I am not sure we would be married today. Joe was #2 in the draft and was called in for a physical. He was really, really lucky because at age 16 he broke his kneecap and had part of it removed. Ever since his knee can grind and make popping noises and is not as strong as his other leg. He showed the doctor at the draft physical his knee and made it pop and grind and was deemed not fit for the military. Thank the Lord! I think he would be dead otherwise. As in a typical angry, 18 year old fashion of the time, he slapped his papers down at the exit desk and said: "Ef-you, I'm out".

Niagara Visitor

Amazing? We didn't think so. I think we just said "This is it", I certainly never though of divorce. Luck? I don't get the saying that I hear so often that you have to "work" at a marriage. We liked doing things together and for each other...................... And, we both as a family and as a couple once the children were gone, always ate dinner together, never TV trays etc. Place mats, napkins table set nicely.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I still think it is amazing because there are very few 18 year olds that are able support themselves, then and now.

NormM

NormM

one of Charlie's favorite treats is when I roll pizza stuff, including tomato sauce in bread dough and bake it.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

Bugster2

I do the same Norm. I forget what it is called.

I have been reading about the Olympic swimmers who claim they were robbed by men posing as policemen. Ok. Seems plausible being that it is Brazil. Then I read where a couple of the swimmers were not allowed to fly home because their story began to stink like a dead fish. Ok. Now I read that the whole story was fabricated, that in fact, the swimmers were returning from a party, drunk as skunks, and they had to pee. They break down a door to a closed gas station, get confronted by a security guard, fight with him until he pulls a gun and insists they pay for the damage. They pay and go on their merry way. Apparently they have it all on security video. Well, they can write off their million dollar endorsements. Now they will come home, not as heroes but as the biggest horse's asses that ever graced the planet. Why couldn't they have just kept their mouths shut?

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I can remember When we got married, and I was in the Navy.
I had to have a notorized permission paper from her mother so Tina could be married at 20 y/o.
I was 21. Law back then in state of Pennsylvania. I don't know if that still holds?

Back in the 60's, it was a common question toward a young girl, "Not married yet Christine?"
or... "What you waiting for Christine, you're gonna be an old maid soon!"
It was like a peer pressure to be shamed into being pushed into marriage.

Then after the marriage.....came the big one. "Hmmm....No Kids Yet??"....
or.... "Are you working on kids yet??"..... that used to piss off Tina; not only her, but other young ones of her friends. The worst was like when people would say to Tina, "Hey, did you hear, so and so, is having her THIRD baby already?" .... "Have you thought of a family yet?"... LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Baby Number One ...baby # 2 didn't come till 6 years later....

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 11 3eDnLn

Bugster2

Bugster2

It is funny because in the late 60's and early 70's it was unheard of if you got married at 18. In our family it was college. I had a friend in high school that I asked what she was going to do after graduation. She told me she was going to get married and have a baby and that is exactly what she did. I was horrified! Married? A baby? At 18? Are you on drugs? What I did see as time went on that things depended on what your parents preached, your home situation and the type of people you were exposed to.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:It is funny because in the late 60's and early 70's it was unheard of if you got married at 18. In our family it was college. I had a friend in high school that I asked what she was going to do after graduation. She told me she was going to get married and have a baby and that is exactly what she did. I was horrified! Married? A baby? At 18? Are you on drugs? What I did see as time went on that things depended on what your parents preached, your home situation and the type of people you were exposed to.

It was so true as far as what my parents taught us.
Would you believe, we were not allowed to be friends with anyone that their parents were divorced.
.....And the fact that we were not to play or associate with any kids that were not of the Catholic faith. Is that sick. or what!

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:It is funny because in the late 60's and early 70's it was unheard of if you got married at 18. In our family it was college. I had a friend in high school that I asked what she was going to do after graduation. She told me she was going to get married and have a baby and that is exactly what she did. I was horrified! Married? A baby? At 18? Are you on drugs? What I did see as time went on that things depended on what your parents preached, your home situation and the type of people you were exposed to.

It was so true as far as what my parents taught us.
Would you believe, we were not allowed to be friends with anyone that their parents were divorced.
.....And the fact that we were not to play or associate with any kids that were not of the Catholic faith. Is that sick. or what!  

It is called religious bigotry and it is still going strong today.

NormM

NormM

Some people are particular about what you put in bread dough and call it but we call it a Stromboli regardless as long as it is things that go on a pizza.

Mom told me that because dad was divorced before he met mom, his church and her church would not marry them.  We were members of a branch of the Lutheran church because they were the only ones that would marry them and mom wanted a church wedding.

I grew up in a Catholic neighborhood and my parents made me think it was wrong to have a Catholic girlfriend. No problem with having friends but not girlfriends.  Same with marrying someone of a different race.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 17]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum