Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner??

+5
Imelda HL
Barbara101
NormM
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 14]

1AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? Empty AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:45 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made Mac and Cheese....

I ate it with tabasco sauce. Two Cups of it.

Gabe is gonna have Salmon Broiled and a Sweet Potato baked.

GD is here for a couple day's.....and she had some kind of KFC Mashed Potato Bowl with chicken pieces on top. Uh Uh! Not for me!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I took a nap this afternoon....just the thing the doctor ordered!

Well, by the time I woke up I was hungry and in no mood to go looking for something to cook. So I went out for a sandwich.

I had to call for a/c repair today. Ended up calling the number left on the unit by the previous owner. Turns out there is a huge Freon leak. The repairman charged it up and it is cooled down to 80° in here so it IS relatively cooler. But he said this is just a "life support" action and, sorry, but your unit is officially dead.

He wrote up an estimate before he left ~ GEESH! Prices have gone up since we last had to have a heat pump - a/c unit installed. There are 4 estimates, from fair to excellent: $5k, $5600, $7,500 and $13k.

I've got a call in to two other companies for estimates. I sure hope someone has something in a good to better range of system for a little less.

NormM

NormM

I has some leftover steak and a potato about to sprout so made a salad with them.

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? DSCN1589_zps1b793294

Made with pan fried potato slices, garden tomato, boiled egg, left over steak and mixed greens.

Dressing was 1/2 T. dijon mustard
1 1/2 T. white wine vinegar
6 T. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Barbara101

Barbara101

oh lord..I am so glad I rent lol.He had to replace both units 2yrs ago.He is a good guy but cheap.He also does not keep his word.

Man I am sure glad I do not have shell out that..Good Luck.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I took a nap this afternoon....just the thing the doctor ordered!

Well, by the time I woke up I was hungry and in no mood to go looking for something to cook.  So I went out for a sandwich.

I had to call for a/c repair today.  Ended up calling the number left on the unit by the previous owner.  Turns out there is a huge Freon leak.  The repairman charged it up and it is cooled down to 80° in here so it IS relatively cooler.  But he said this is just a "life support" action and, sorry, but your unit is officially dead.

He wrote up an estimate before he left ~ GEESH! Prices have gone up since we last had to have a heat pump - a/c unit installed.  There are 4 estimates, from fair to excellent:  $5k, $5600, $7,500 and $13k.  

I've got a call in to two other companies for estimates.  I sure hope someone has something in a good to better range of system for a little less.

Wow! If you had cooling last week, and it stopped cooling yesterday, that is a huge leak. I 'm amazed he added refrigerant without finding / fixing the leak
I'm sure he gave you the drill about ....The price$ are Higher, because They don't use R-22 refrigerant anymore, and they cannot replace just the outside unit; without replacing the inside; because the inside and outside must be matched to get the efficiency, and the piping has to be replaced to accommodate the new High Pressure R410A safe for the environment of todays systems. It is all True.

It's not like you can wait till next summer; because if it's a heat pump system, it is your heating
source for the cooler weather. All In All....That surely is a kick in the butt! Evil or Very Mad 

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yeah, he went through the whole "Freon is no longer used...." In addition to new lines, they have to install a new "hurricane safe" concrete pad to connect the outside unit to. He found the leak where there's lots of rust inside the unit in the garage, the condenser unit thingy. I mean, it's not a big surprise. It's the original unit installed when the house was built 18 years ago. We had cooling just fine (or so we thought) before we left 2 weeks ago. Then, when I got home from Indy and pushed the thermostat back from 85 to 78....nothing cooled off. Thank heavens for ceiling fans.

It's still cheaper to replace the a/c, and get a new roof, and probably do the rest of the remodeling we want to do than it would be to have purchased a new house. I just hate spending money on stuff that's not planned for way ahead of time. Puts a real dent in contingency funds.

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I has some leftover steak and a potato about to sprout so made a salad with them.

Made with pan fried potato slices, garden tomato, boiled egg, left over steak and mixed greens.

Dressing was 1/2 T. dijon mustard
1 1/2 T. white wine vinegar
6 T. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Looks like a really satisfying salad, Norm. My friends gave me some specialty olive oil and basalmic vinegars for my birthday. I'll be using them for dinner salads when Dane gets home. Love just about any salad with the cooked eggs.

NormM

NormM

I discovered a shop here that sells specialty olive oils and vinegars, and got a few.  The olive oil I used today is one I got from Trader Joe's and it is very mild, hardly any flavor at all.  I think it makes a good oil for light salads.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I love olive oil on things, and on my salad or tomatoes.
Uncle Gabe drinks two Tbs. Of Olive oil every night.
Tonight he had salmon for supper....and Tina cut up bread chunks for him to dippy dippy into the olive oil. Just gotta watch the carbs in the bread.
Last night he ate late (spaghetti ) and this AM his blood test strip for the sugar test read 181.
Way higher than the previous days.

My usual salad dressing is just olive oil. No vinegar.

A messy treat, is a hoagie with ham, salami, and cheese...shredded lettuce, and tomato...lots of pepper and salt...and then splash good  olive oil all over the bread top, and on the rest of the sandwich.
Then sprinkle some dried oregano on top. Lots of napkins, and a big drip dish, and chomp down while the lil drips down the wrists and drips into the dish to wipe up with the sandwich.
OMG....That is a real treat. Silppy Sloppy, but Oh So Good.

Barbara101

Barbara101

We had a store like that downtown.It closed after 2 years.Folks who live here are not going to go downtown to buy that stuff,so it did not get enough biz from the wall to wall tourist,to stay open. So my go to for that stuff is TJ Maxx lol.I have quite a collection right now.

NormM

NormM

I think the one I discovered has been there a few years but I thought it was a health shop from some of the signs on the outside. It is next to Penzeys and across the street from the Overland Park Farmer's market which is about two blocks long and with a roof over the top to keep out the sun so it is in a good location.

Barbara101

Barbara101

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? 12174_285901281559889_265510616_n

dinner last night.Lunch today. Odd that the pasta did now show.oh well you know what that looks like lol

Barbara101

Barbara101

I bought some Beef Short ribs.Never bought or cooked them before..

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I have short ribs in my freezer too.. and I just got a pressure cooker Magefesa from my neighborhood yard sale, so I want to try my short ribs in it  cheers 

Barbara101

Barbara101

I am going to beer braise them.Wish me luck lol Good way to get rid of beer that I did not like.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:I am going to beer braise them.Wish me luck lol  Good way to get rid of beer that I did not like.

That'll work.
Tina just braises them till the meat falls off the bones.

The beer thing....we get the cheap quarts to boil the corned beef or brisket.

A crab and or seafood boil is good done with beer too!

NormM

NormM

Talk about ribs, I am getting ready for my son's birthday party. He said he wanted BBQ and to me means firing up the smoker but he meant grilling hamburgers and hot dogs. So I am doing both. I just took the short ribs and back ribs out of the smoker. The brisket needs a couple more hours. When the guests arrive, I will start the grill and do the rest of the food.

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? DSCN1594_zpsa9e586b7

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tell Charlie.... "Happy Birthday" from Uncle Jimmy and Aunt Tina
in New f'n Jersey!

God Bless Him, and He can be proud to have a Great Chef cooking for his BBQ Party....

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tell Charlie "Happy Birthday" from Auntie Beth in Florida as well!

Short ribs are one of my favorites....I usually do Ina's wine braise but beer will work just fine.  Long, low & slow is the way to go.  Then the meat has lots of flavor and is super tender.  

I ended up making my faux Jambalaya tonight with smoked sausage, chicken breast and canned diced tomatoes with chiles ~ over rice.  Good stuff.  You've all seen the pics before so I didn't worry when my camera didn't work because the batteries are dead.  (of course there are no others in the drawer....why would there be????)

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? 051513

Here's an old pic ~ didn't do the shrimp tonight.

I'm full and happy.

Barbara101

Barbara101

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? Shortribs9_thumb10

Roasted beer Beef short ribs.

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? Shortribs11

Roasted mashed cauliflower with fried shallots.

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? Shortribs7

Barbara101

Barbara101

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? 8c1907927bc14d4c89c4429e444f2a11-1

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? Vanillakefiricecream425

Gelato I made yesterday.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Pizza Take Out tonight....

Thin Crust style from Bella Pizza Restaurant.... Just outside of town.

Had a Pickle pimento loaf sandwich for a late lunch....so I'm a little full now.
Don't worry,,,,I'll make room for the pizza. LOL...

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Boy Oh Boy, Barb.....You're on the roll today; fer sure!

Barbara101

Barbara101

well I should eat leftovers but for some odd reason I made a large pot of red sauce lol  AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? 1223290054  What I am going to do with it remains a mystery.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:well I should eat leftovers but for some odd reason I made a large pot of red sauce lol  AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? 1223290054   What I am going to do with it remains a mystery.

I know what I would do with it...and No Pasta...

Ready??? Take some of the sauce if there is a lot, and freeze it for future, and take like a 1-1/2 quart of the sauce, and throw in 4 or 5 Sabrett hot dogs.
Let them baby's simmer slow and low for about 2 hours. OMG
Those hot dogs absorb the sauce and flavor, and are so good on a bun, or even with bread. Yeah! That sourdough bread yo tease us with. Ummmm!

Sometimes a potato quartered, and cooked in the sauce too! Ooooo!
The taters absorb and turn red. Yum!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 14]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum