Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ?

+5
NormM
Crybaby
bethk
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 17  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 17]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tonight, son Jimmy and DIL are stopping after work. They want ( nice to choose huh?) breaded chicken cutlets, Shoe-peg corn, and mashed potatoes and gravy.
Plus....she is frying slices of breaded white egg plant! ( That's My food )

Tina made a white cake with vanilla butter cream icing. ( Sons favorite ).
Also a pot of Italian Wedding Soup with little meatballs.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Just thinking about the cherry pie thing, and I remembered, Tina's mom, making a delicious cherry squares, and with the pie crust and the crumb cake topping, using ( get this ), a can of the sour cherries in water, drained and towel pressed dry, then mixed with a can of Comstock cherry pie fillng. She added just tapioca to it, and that pie was the best I ever tasted. The tart / sweet balance was perfect.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, man, I am EXHAUSTED! Two days of on-the-go wears me out. Yesterday Dane's sister drove in to go with Lyn, our friend Barb who just returned from 3 months in Ohio and me to go to Tampa to window shop and go out to lunch. We left at 9 a.m. and got home at 8:30 p.m. ~ and I didn't buy anything but lunch! (I'm such a cheeeeeep-skate!)

Today Cheryle & I got up around 7 and putzed around in the yard and then went out looking for some slipcovers she was hoping to find. No luck but we wasted away half our day doing not much of anything.

We decided to have a late lunch, early supper as she wanted to get on the road and be able to drive the hour + in daylight. I had told her about the crunchy potatoes and she loved the sound of them so I made those to go with some grilled bbq chicken wings and an old fashioned wilted lettuce salad with wilted sweet onion and bacon.

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 7 IMG_20160811_141845459_HDR

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Just thinking about the cherry pie thing, and I remembered, Tina's mom, making a delicious cherry squares, and with the pie crust and the crumb cake topping, using ( get this ), a can of the sour cherries in water, drained and towel pressed dry, then mixed with a can of Comstock cherry pie fillng. She added just tapioca to it, and that pie was the best I ever tasted. The tart / sweet balance was perfect.

Jimmy, the Comstock cherry pie filling and drained sour cherries is how I make my cherry crostata (one crust pie ~ super lazy way). Alone, the pie filling is WAY too sweet and not enough cherries. With the addition of the drained sour cherries, even without any additional thickener, is how you get that super-cherry flavor. I usually add a bit of lemon juice if I have one in the refrigerator just to brighten up the canned cherries. I usually just fold the excess crust over the top, brush with some milk and sprinkle with sugar to finish it off. No one has ever complained about it yet!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Just thinking about the cherry pie thing, and I remembered, Tina's mom, making a delicious cherry squares, and with the pie crust and the crumb cake topping, using ( get this ), a can of the sour cherries in water, drained and towel pressed dry, then mixed with a can of Comstock cherry pie fillng. She added just tapioca to it, and that pie was the best I ever tasted. The tart / sweet balance was perfect.

Jimmy, the Comstock cherry pie filling and drained sour cherries is how I make my cherry crostata (one crust pie ~ super lazy way).  Alone, the pie filling is WAY too sweet and not enough cherries.  With the addition of the drained sour cherries, even without any additional thickener, is how you get that super-cherry flavor.  I usually add a bit of lemon juice if I have one in the refrigerator just to brighten up the canned cherries.  I usually just fold the excess crust over the top, brush with some milk and sprinkle with sugar to finish it off.  No one has ever complained about it yet!

Yeah Beth! Sounds good. I like the lemon juice idea..... I will have to make note of it for Tina.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Has anyone tried the "Three Little Pigs" Dijon mustard that CI rates as #1?

What is your Dijon fave?

Niagara Visitor

I like the way your copper pans are displayed, Norm.  I love, love copper and have quite a few pieces. One of the local Canadian Tire stores has a 10 piece set of pots and pans, gorgeous copper............ It started out at a ridiculous price of $1,595, now reduced to $495. I would have to basically throw out everything else that I have because I just don't have the storage space for both. And, I just can't justify that expense to myself just for the look. Maybe I'll just ask the manager if they will break the set up, I would love the larger saute pan!

Bugster2

Bugster2

I wouldn't buy anything copper unless it is lined with stainless steel. Some pans are lined with tin and if the tin is compromised in any way so that the copper is exposed, then it can poison you if heated. I have a couple of beautiful copper pans with tin lining but I only use them as tool crocks. I have an All Clad cooper pan lined with SS and it cooks beautifully. I hate it because it has to be polished if I want shiny copper, so I leave it tarnished.

NormM

NormM

Thank you. My copper pans are antique store find that I got cheap and are mostly just for display.

Bugster, IMHO, CI usually highly rates things that I've never heard of. When it comes to Dijon, I buy what ever I grab first. To me it doesn't make much difference. I don't particularly care for Grey P. but rather prefer the grainy kind.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

Bugster2

I think GP is too strong, especially on my stomach. I bought a small Pommery whole grain mustard at Sur La Table that is really good. I like GP country Dijon. I like Maille and Fallot. Just curious about the 3 Little Pigs brand. It isn't available around here that I know of. I don't know if it is available back east but we have a Beaver brand that makes all kinds of mustards. We love the honey mustard but it has a tendency to make my stomach hurt. P.S. I just found out how Maille is pronounced: MY
I only found out this year that Gouda is pronounced "howda".

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Has anyone tried the "Three Little Pigs" Dijon mustard that CI rates as #1?

What is your Dijon fave?
Debbie, we have so many mustards from those gift baskets we get for the holiday's, or get well gifts, I couldn't tell what they were,, and as for dijon, I'm sure there are some in closets or storage spaces in this house.

Now, my daughter is the mustard freak. She loves the fancy mustards. I remember one day, she said,"Dad, you're eating the wrong mustard on that beef sandwich. What do I know??

Niagara Visitor

Bugster2 wrote:I wouldn't buy anything copper unless it is lined with stainless steel. Some pans are lined with tin and if the tin is compromised in any way so that the copper is exposed, then it can poison you if heated. I have a couple of beautiful copper pans with tin lining but I only use them as tool crocks. I have an All Clad cooper pan lined with SS and it cooks beautifully. I hate it because it has to be polished if I want shiny copper, so I leave it tarnished.

All mine are stainless lined. If you hate to polish, get the cheapest tomato juice you can find, fill a bucket or whatever, so that the whole item goes in it. Leave it in for a few minutes and it will be shiny. Ketchup works too, but you have to spread it all over............ it's too expensive to fill a bucket. My favourite piece of copper is my colander with a long handle, it's been hanging on the wall to the left of my sinks for well over 30 years ago.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I saw a recipe on FB this morning and I'm wondering if anyone with experience can tell me why they suggest the ingredients they do....

The recipe is for chocolate chip cookies. The ingredients I'm wondering about is the addition of cake flour AND bread flour ~ I know cake flour is for a more tender crumb and bread flour is for a more structured crumb....wouldn't the combination of the two be just about the same as AP flour?

Here's the link....it's a NY Times recipe:

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015819-chocolate-chip-cookies?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook_Paid&utm_campaign=Recipes&kwp_0=128179&kwp_4=688277&kwp_1=350310

Crybaby

Crybaby

Norm wrote:We do have a basement and Charlie recently built some shelves down there but we did not have any storage at this end of the kitchen at all. It was designed to be a breakfast nook or informal dining. Charlie built the storage in there with the help of Lowes lumber, myself and Cassie. The light hung down from the ceiling to about the middle of my forehead. Charlie shortened that too.

Wow! Looks super, Norm. Did Charlie make the cabinets down there, too? Brian and I NEED a Charlie! He sure is handy. It looks super, as does the other end of the kitchen as well.

My kitchen is white, too, and I love it. When I bought the new stove, I had to go with stainless steel but the stoves in white looked completely different from the same models in S/S. I told Brian the white ones looked like a sports car that was white -- the features just seemed to disappear. The S/S stove looks great with my all white kitchen, I've got to admit, so I don't regret my choice.

I like that new dark S/S finish a couple of makers are offering now -- looks really pretty in the ads.

Crybaby

Crybaby

I love copper pots. I'd have a lot of them if they weren't so pricey and if I had someone to polish them. I do have a beautiful copper double boiler with porcelain insert that my mom bought for me about 30 years ago. That piece used to be in the Williams-Sonoma catalog for years.

My SIL had a microwave store with another woman when they first came out; stores would sell them but didn't know anything about them so she opened "World of Microwave." Everyone there knew a lot about the microwaves and they also held microwave classes (makes me laugh still, as it did back then) which were quite popular. She had some kitchen items for sale in the store as well, mostly for looks I think. It closed after about 3 or 4 years and she was selling things in the store at a discount. I bought two wood-topped stools for my kitchen and unbeknownst to me, my mom got that copper double boiler for me! I really needed a DB as I jury-rigged a bowl over a pot until then. That copper DB holds such nice memories for me that I try to keep it polished on a regular basis.

Lore, that tomato juice doesn't pit the copper? I guess not if you only leave the copper in for a couple of minutes.

I found out recently that the product Krud Kutter that I'm always touting also cleans copper pans. I was cleaning the inside of a copper bottomed pan with KK as it had a burned looking spot on it and the copper came out quite nicely with just spraying it on and wiping it off with a sponge. I didn't give it much effort but will try it with my DB -- it would be great if it did a super job. I think following up with a bit of polish gives a piece (of copper or silver) a really nice shine other things don't give it, even if you get them looking pretty good.

NormM

NormM

The shelves in the basement are just plywood and 2x4's.  The cabinets were from Lowe's but they took quite a bit of time to put together, paint and install.  The counter top was cut to fit too. PS Charlie worked as a roofer for a couple years and had to do some carpentry too.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I saw a recipe on FB this morning and I'm wondering if anyone with experience can tell me why they suggest the ingredients they do....

The recipe is for chocolate chip cookies.  The ingredients I'm wondering about is the addition of cake flour AND bread flour ~ I know cake flour is for a more tender crumb and bread flour is for a more structured crumb....wouldn't the combination of the two be just about the same as AP flour?

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015819-chocolate-chip-cookies?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook_Paid&utm_campaign=Recipes&kwp_0=128179&kwp_4=688277&kwp_1=350310

We've got like 50 pounds of cake flour that DD got free, from a bakery that they get old buns and dough from to feed to her pigs on the farm.
I did a little research to see if it can be used for pizza dough, and it all came up as by mixing it with AP flour, it can be used and with change in the texture of the pizza crust. I never tried it yet, but when I do, I'll let it be known.

NormM

NormM

I think that mixing those two flours together in those amounts would yield a flour with the same amount of protein as regular AP flour. Don't know what advantage doing that would be unless you just happened to have both of those flours and be out of AP flour at the time.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Well..... I know what I will be having for supper tonight. Alligator Hot Sausage. Right from New Orleans LA, and shipped up to the Sussex County State Fair. There is a guy who runs a booth that has the crawfish and Alligator Sausage.

Tina and GD headed up to the fair to get some funnel cakes; candy apples, and cotton candy, and to walk around for a couple hours.... Nice! .....

Crybaby

Crybaby

Wednesday night, we had chicken my favorite way -- panéed with flour and breadcrumbs (with some freshly-grated really good Romano mixed in with the crumbs) and then sautéed. Brian has no problem making the chicken (he even slices the thick boneless breasts in half now, too, when they're too thick) as long as I make his favorite Tarragon Cream Sauce.

I recently was able to find a French Tarragon plant so I now have some growing. I still use the dried tarragon while making the sauce but when I near the end, I add the freshly chopped tarragon. They sell tarragon herb plants around here but it's not the French type and the flavor is not the same (and kind of unpleasant, IMO).

We had the sauce over the meat and over the pasta, the latter of which was delicious. I couldn't find what I call tagliatelle (pappardelle) (flat, wide noodles) locally so I ordered some online that was made in Italy. It was made with durum wheat semolina, but the "good pasta" I get at the grocery is made from semolina. That pasta was without a doubt the best pasta we ever had! Even Brian noticed the difference!! It took a bit longer to cook (9 to 10 minutes to get to al dente) but my goodness, it was delicious. The brand was Garofalo and I got it online from Jet. I also bought some radiator pasta from the same company, as I'd never seen that shape in the grocery.

We also had that pasta with meatballs and sauce on Sunday, when we first noticed how delicious it was. Last night we had leftover paneed chicken and since I made pesto earlier in the day, I coated some with pesto and we just had the cream sauce on the chicken. If you happen to run across some of that pasta, or are into ordering things online like I am, you've got to try it. I only got two bags of it and we already used them up, so I'm going to order some more and some other shapes as well really soon...

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Well..... I know what I will be having for supper tonight. Alligator Hot Sausage. Right from New Orleans LA, and shipped up to the Sussex County State Fair. There is a guy who runs a booth that has the crawfish and Alligator Sausage.

Hope it's good and that you like it, Jimmy. Sometimes I've had it where it's been too dry. Alligator Sauce Picante is very good, but it uses alligator chunks and not the sausage.

I adore crawfish but am not crazy about picking them. The grocery currently has Louisiana crawfish tails they are selling by the pound for $11.99. You have to be careful to get Louisiana crawfish now 'cause China is importing them. You really can taste the difference, as the Chinese ones taste kind of "tinny" to me. I usually pick up a few pounds so I can make myself some crawfish etouffee during the year. It doesn't take long, is delicious and if we have an out of town visitor, they usually enjoy it as well.

1DomesticGoddess

1DomesticGoddess

We are having...

Cindi's Chicken Macaroni Salad

Creamy Cucumber Salad with Dill

Corn-on-the-cob

Chocolate Dilly Bars from Dairy Queen

Crybaby

Crybaby

Tonight I'm making Braised Beef Short Ribs. The recipe is originally from The Balthazar Cookbook by Keith McNally, Riad Nasr and Lee Hanson, but last time I made it, I edited the recipe to make less, to not drain out the solids and to cook on the stove instead of in the oven. Short ribs were on sale for $3.99 a pound (I know, not much of a sale but they've been running $7.99 a pound and more lately).

Brian insisted on going to the grocery to get some short ribs so I'd make that recipe again. It's really good (quite rich) and has both ruby port and a full bodied red wine in the sauce. It calls for Veal Stock but I use beef stock or chicken stock with a tablespoon of Better Than Bouillon Beef Au Jus added to it and it comes out fine. I found myself wishing I had some of those Italian tagliatelle to serve with it but it's going to have to be Basmati rice instead. I'm going to make a tomato and hearts of palm salad with it, along with that spinach casserole I recently spoke of. Fresh spinach was on sale, too.

It's been raining cats and dogs in New Orleans and the surrounding parishes but we don't get any water in the street (lucky us; we've got a rain gauge and we've gotten more than 5 inches of rain since Wednesday night). Brian said it was fun at the grocery because there was hardly a soul there!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Well..... I know what I will be having for supper tonight. Alligator Hot Sausage. Right from New Orleans LA, and shipped up to the Sussex County State Fair. There is a guy who runs a booth that has the crawfish and Alligator Sausage.

Hope it's good and that you like it, Jimmy.  Sometimes I've had it where it's been too dry.  Alligator Sauce Picante is very good, but it uses alligator chunks and not the sausage.

I adore crawfish but am not crazy about picking them.  The grocery currently has Louisiana crawfish tails they are selling by the pound for $11.99.  You have to be careful to get Louisiana crawfish now 'cause China is importing them.  You really can taste the difference, as the Chinese ones taste kind of "tinny" to me.  I usually pick up a few pounds so I can make myself some crawfish etouffee during the year.  It doesn't take long, is delicious and if we have an out of town visitor, they usually enjoy it as well.  

Well, the alligator and crawfish is from NO direct ship because my son knows the owner that runs the booth. The sausage has pork mixed in with it because alligator is dry.

But.....sad news, Tina just called from the fair, and said the booth is not opened till october, and that's if the same guy has it. So, she picked me up a sausage sandwich anyway.
They are on their way home too! The humidity and sun is too much for the two of them. Tina said she is soaking wet..... LOL...
Can't say I didn't tell her. I said,"Its too hot during the day at a summer fair!"
Naw! she said, there are shady spots!" ..... tongue No No

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:I saw a recipe on FB this morning and I'm wondering if anyone with experience can tell me why they suggest the ingredients they do....

The recipe is for chocolate chip cookies.  The ingredients I'm wondering about is the addition of cake flour AND bread flour ~ I know cake flour is for a more tender crumb and bread flour is for a more structured crumb....wouldn't the combination of the two be just about the same as AP flour?

I made a recipe similar to this one. It comes out cakey. No one would eat them. Now it could be this recipe is better. I would cut the recipe in half and add chips only to a few test cookies and see how you like them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 17]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum