Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ?

+5
NormM
Crybaby
bethk
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 17]

Niagara Visitor

Imelda HL wrote:Hi All, it has been a while I did not post here.. but I tried to visit this site everyday, sometimes I got some ideas what to cook, I made some taco, bought some hot dogs and Sauerkraut, and I'm going to make Beth's crunchy potato (would you tell me how you made them again, Beth, it's hard to find the post now  Embarassed  )

I made some stuffed bellpeppers when my parent in-laws came visiting.. I bought 4 colorful bell pepper, each color for each, they were all on sale, 79 cents to 99 cents/each, I stuffed them with some leftover Mexican rice, Jimmy Dean sausage, some finely chopped kale, onion and all the usual stuffs, and I sauteed some Zucaroddles ( zucchini, carrot noodles ), and I toasted some corn cake I made the day before

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 10 21_zpsan2mglq5

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 10 Stuffed%20bellpeppers_zpsj6t6r7i5

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 10 16_zpsdxtcyxmc

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 10 Bakwan%20jagung_zpsjoprgthg

Those stuffed peppers look wonderful. They are one of my favourite meals to make, even though they are quite labour intensive.  So, when I do make them I make some for my son and DIL also.  They both love them too! I think for my next attempt, I am going to stuff them with seafood in a bechamel sauce.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Somehow, Jimmy, make that leftover mac salad disappear....and NOT by ingesting it!  That's past prime, to be sure!  Offer to make a small amount of fresh or suggest some corn on the cob....just not that old salad.

I don't think I'm going to cook tonight.  I've spent all day steam cleaning the carpet ~ I must be a glutton for punishment.  I had borrowed a carpet cleaner from one of the neighbors last spring when they were headed back to Cape Cod and in my mind I was going to 'direct' and Mr. Amazing was going to be the one doing the actual labor.  Well, they're going to be back soon and I really wanted to get this off-white berber carpeting cleaned.  It's SO filthy with 'travel avenues' showing from the front door to the back.

I got the bedrooms done around the beds and the walk-in closet, the 8' X 10' 'great room' at the back of the house where my computer is housed by the patio doors and the right side of the living room/dining room combo.  I've got all the fans on high to help encourage the evaporation and drying.  Tomorrow I have to shove everything back in place and move all the rest to the cleaned side of the room to finish up.  

I knew if I didn't do the majority of it today I would never finish.  But since I'm just left with about a quarter of the entire job I'll get it done.  But I'm done for today.  I've already taken my 4 Advil and I ate some yogurt w/fruit and the leftover chicken from the other night.  I knew I was in serious need of some protein before I collapsed and had to call for help....."HELP! I've fallen and I can't get up!"   LOL

So for supper I'm thinking of going out to pick up a burger and bringing it home to have with my Bloody Mary(s)....it's not decided yet if it will be one or two!  Depends upon how my back feels at 6:00.

Beth!... Just as I suspected, and as you said, chuck the mac salad.
It was just starting to sour. My tongue was burning a little as I ate it.
Tina smelled it, and said..."Yep" it is sour....

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Somehow, Jimmy, make that leftover mac salad disappear....and NOT by ingesting it!  That's past prime, to be sure!  Offer to make a small amount of fresh or suggest some corn on the cob....just not that old salad.

I don't think I'm going to cook tonight.  I've spent all day steam cleaning the carpet ~ I must be a glutton for punishment.  I had borrowed a carpet cleaner from one of the neighbors last spring when they were headed back to Cape Cod and in my mind I was going to 'direct' and Mr. Amazing was going to be the one doing the actual labor.  Well, they're going to be back soon and I really wanted to get this off-white berber carpeting cleaned.  It's SO filthy with 'travel avenues' showing from the front door to the back.

I got the bedrooms done around the beds and the walk-in closet, the 8' X 10' 'great room' at the back of the house where my computer is housed by the patio doors and the right side of the living room/dining room combo.  I've got all the fans on high to help encourage the evaporation and drying.  Tomorrow I have to shove everything back in place and move all the rest to the cleaned side of the room to finish up.  

Beth, turn the Cooling on. That will absorb the moisture and dry it out quicker, and the water will be drained by the A/C coil. silent

bethk

bethk
Admin

My a/c is ALWAYS on. I didn't change the setting off of 77° but, yes, the a/c was on to help get the humidity out of the air. I just woke up and everything is dry. Now it's just one more bit to do and then I'm done.

Next, before Mr. Amazing gets home, is the clean-out of the plastic storage container cabinet in the kitchen. I have some organization tubs that I'm hoping will help keep things organized in those lower blind cabinets.

I don't know why I cannot clean out cabinets when he's around ~ Oh, yes, I DO know.....He always has a suggestion of a 'better way' to do what I'm doing. When I'm crawling around on my hands and knees with half my body stuck in a cabinet the last thing I want to hear is HIS better idea. I just want to get it done and move on.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda's corn cakes reminded me of a favorite childhood supper......but we called them corn fritters. At home they were served with a big pile of broiled side pork, usually on the day the slaughtered hog came back from the butcher. Rather than grind up the pork belly for sausage we would get it sliced and then it would be broiled until all the fat was rendered and it was crispy.

But ever since some trendy chefs turned it into a pricey choice I have difficulty finding it at the grocery store.

So, tonight was just a plate full of corn fritters....fine with me!

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 10 IMG_20160816_191133088

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made an awesome beef stew. Fresh Italian bread to sop up the gravy, and Ohhhh!
Then she made a great Lemon Chiffon Pie.
I got to cut the slices, but I got a little sloppy doing so! It got a little tricky juggling the jello!! lol!

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 10 VRuYwB

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 10 XUBu7c

Niagara Visitor

bethk wrote:
I don't know why I cannot clean out cabinets when he's around ~ Oh, yes, I DO know.....He always has a suggestion of a 'better way' to do what I'm doing.  When I'm crawling around on my hands and knees with half my body stuck in a cabinet the last thing I want to hear is HIS better idea.  I just want to get it done and move on.

My hubby "suggested" how I could organise our freezer much better when I had a half a head of beef to put away. I looked at him sweetly, closed the freezer and said.................. "You go right ahead, and you're going to be doing the cooking from now on!" He backed off.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Half a head? You eat beef heads?

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina made an awesome beef stew. Fresh Italian bread to sop up the gravy, and Ohhhh!
I got to cut the slices, but I got a little sloppy doing so! It got a little tricky juggling the jello!!  lol!

Looks like you got a HANDle on the situation, Jimmy. LOL

Yuck, what a mess! How in the world did you manage to just get it on the counter and not all over the floor?

Niagara Visitor

Bugster2 wrote:Half a head? You eat beef heads?

YUP! Ha Ha.............. Don't know about the US of A, but in Canada we call the cattle so many heads of cattle, so a half, I'd call a half, or a side of beef. Guess side would be more accurate. And no, we didn't eat the head.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:
bethk wrote:
I don't know why I cannot clean out cabinets when he's around ~ Oh, yes, I DO know.....He always has a suggestion of a 'better way' to do what I'm doing.  When I'm crawling around on my hands and knees with half my body stuck in a cabinet the last thing I want to hear is HIS better idea.  I just want to get it done and move on.

My hubby "suggested" how I could organise our freezer much better when I had a half a head of beef to put away.  I looked at him sweetly, closed the freezer and said.................. "You go right ahead, and you're going to be doing the cooking from now on!"  He backed off.

It must be a male thing -- I don't think they can help themselves! I'm laughing, as it sounds just like something Brian would do. Usually, I don't have to say anything -- just glare at him, usually sweating with a piece of my hair hanging down in my face. He gets the drift pretty fast. I, too, have been known to jump right up and tell him go ahead and take over -- you'll never see him move so fast, in the OPPOSITE direction. Even more fun is to wait until HE decides to do something and then start using his SAME words back at him: "You know, it seems to me..." or "I wonder if it wouldn't be better..." or my personal favorite, "You know what I would do?" Me: "No, and I don't want to hear it either!" Sometimes I actually have to TELL HIM that I'm using HIS words!!

Bugster2

Bugster2

Niagara Visitor wrote:

YUP! Ha Ha.............. Don't know about the US of A, but in Canada we call the cattle so many heads of cattle, so a half, I'd call a half, or a side of beef. Guess side would be more accurate.  And no, we didn't eat the head.

I sort of figured that is what you meant. Then I thought of the "I Love Lucy" show where she bought a side, no, two sides of beef. That is an enormous amount to have to freeze. I have a friend in Montana who owns a farm. Every year they pick out a cow to be grass-fed and then sent to be killed and prepped by a local butcher. She never sees the cow nor does she want to because then she couldn't have it killed. I should ask her how many freezers it takes to hold all of that meat.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Crybaby wrote:
Niagara Visitor wrote:
bethk wrote:

My hubby "suggested" how I could organise our freezer much better when I had a half a head of beef to put away.  I looked at him sweetly, closed the freezer and said.................. "You go right ahead, and you're going to be doing the cooking from now on!"  He backed off.

It must be a male thing -- I don't think they can help themselves!  I'm laughing, as it sounds just like something Brian would do.  Usually, I don't have to say anything -- just glare at him, usually sweating with a piece of my hair hanging down in my face.  He gets the drift pretty fast.  I, too, have been known to jump right up and tell him go ahead and take over -- you'll never see him move so fast, in the OPPOSITE direction.  Even more fun is to wait until HE decides to do something and then start using his SAME words back at him:  "You know, it seems to me..." or "I wonder if it wouldn't be better..." or my personal favorite, "You know what I would do?"  Me:  "No, and I don't want to hear it either!"  Sometimes I actually have to TELL HIM that I'm using HIS words!!  

My husband is very good at asking or telling me how or why something should be done. I also have offered to allow him to cook or take over the job. He is very clever though. He can turn around the situation to make me look like the biggest witch.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth, your crispy potatoes really do look good. Brian is not keen on potatoes but if I broke them into small enough pieces before frying, I think he'd enjoy them. If not, more for me!!! I adore potatoes, any way you can make 'em!

And Imelda, your corn cakes look divine. Corn is another vegetable Brian doesn't care for, though he's been making strides with eating them in small doses in things like bean salad or spicy salsa. And corn, of course, is another veggie I'm crazy about.

He made a pot roast yesterday afternoon from a boneless chuck roast we had in the freezer. Since there's plenty leftover, I might make myself a dish I love -- shrimp and corn stew! I have a bag of each in the freezer and it doesn't take long to put together. The last time I made it was when Brian was in the hospital for 9 days and I didn't have to worry about what he was going to eat. He always encourages me to cook something just for myself but I hate doing it unless he's got a nice pot of something as good as what I'm going to be eating.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina made an awesome beef stew. Fresh Italian bread to sop up the gravy, and Ohhhh!
I got to cut the slices, but I got a little sloppy doing so! It got a little tricky juggling the jello!!  lol!

Looks like you got a HANDle on the situation, Jimmy.    LOL

Yuck, what a mess!  How in the world did you manage to just get it on the counter and not all over the floor?

I blamed it on that getting out the first slice, but it turned into a lump. Tina's slice was smaller, but easier to get out whole and together.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I was thinking about making pasta. Do you think it is worth the effort?

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I was thinking about making pasta. Do you think it is worth the effort?

Noodles? ~ I would say, go for it!

Pasta shapes...Na! ... We have the pasta machine, and made pasta once.
So messy, and cleaning the machine ( gag me from the egg smell ) a PITA...
We have the Ron Popiel machine. It workes, and we made elbows and rotelli, but the taste is different. Like sandy. Gritty. I guess because of the semolina flour?

I prefer dry pasta / spaghetti.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I love making 'composed' salads.....it's all about getting to 'play' with your food even before you eat! It always reminds me of when there were composed salads on restaurant menus. Now, you're lucky if the lettuce is fresh let alone having some added veg added.

But I wanted a big dinner size salad tonight....with my favorite Green Goddess dressing. I usually like a homemade salad dressing but there is something about the old 7 Seas Green Goddess that I just love.

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 10 IMG_20160817_172309003

And after I added some dressing I just HAD to sprinkle on my 'crunchies' (LaChoy Rice Noodles out of the can!)

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 10 IMG_20160817_172509313

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:I was thinking about making pasta. Do you think it is worth the effort?

Egg noodles I make and love....you know I think they're easy to do.

Spaghetti or ravioli? No, I don't think it's worth the effort. There are too many good store bought that are made with quality ingredients to have the mess in my kitchen.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:
Niagara Visitor wrote:

YUP! Ha Ha.............. Don't know about the US of A, but in Canada we call the cattle so many heads of cattle, so a half, I'd call a half, or a side of beef. Guess side would be more accurate.  And no, we didn't eat the head.

I sort of figured that is what you meant. Then I thought of the "I Love Lucy" show where she bought a side, no, two sides of beef. That is an enormous amount to have to freeze. I have a friend in Montana who owns a farm. Every year they pick out a cow to be grass-fed and then sent to be killed and prepped by a local butcher. She never sees the cow nor does she want to because then she couldn't have it killed. I should ask her how many freezers it takes to hold all of that meat.

When Dad had our steer butchered he 'paid' for the butchering/wrapping with half the steer. The butcher processed the whole thing and got to sell / use half as his fee. Most butchers had huge industrial freezers to store packaged meat for their customers to come and pick up a bit at a time.....

We had two chest freezers so we had enough room for a side of beef and a side of pork as well as the vegetables we processed from the garden to get through the winter months.

1DomesticGoddess

1DomesticGoddess

Imelda HL wrote:

I made some stuffed bellpeppers when my parent in-laws came visiting.. I bought 4 colorful bell pepper, each color for each, they were all on sale, 79 cents to 99 cents/each, I stuffed them with some leftover Mexican rice, Jimmy Dean sausage, some finely chopped kale, onion and all the usual stuffs, and I sauteed some Zucaroddles ( zucchini, carrot noodles ), and I toasted some corn cake I made the day before

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 10 21_zpsan2mglq5

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 10 Stuffed%20bellpeppers_zpsj6t6r7i5

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 10 16_zpsdxtcyxmc

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 10 Bakwan%20jagung_zpsjoprgthg

Imelda HL, those Stuff Peppers look sooooooooo good, as well as the zucchini, carrot noodles, and the corn cakes!!

For dinner I had... a sandwich with smoked turkey, mayonnaise and ranch dressing.
Along with a few Kosher baby dill pickles and a glass of lemonade mint iced tea.

1DomesticGoddess

1DomesticGoddess

bethk wrote:I love making 'composed' salads.....it's all about getting to 'play' with your food even before you eat!  It always reminds me of when there were composed salads on restaurant menus.  Now, you're lucky if the lettuce is fresh let alone having some added veg added.

But I wanted a big dinner size salad tonight....with my favorite Green Goddess dressing.  I usually like a homemade salad dressing but there is something about the old 7 Seas Green Goddess that I just love.

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 10 IMG_20160817_172309003

And after I added some dressing I just HAD to sprinkle on my 'crunchies' (LaChoy Rice Noodles out of the can!)

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 10 IMG_20160817_172509313

BethK, your chef salad looks lip smackin' good!!

I wish I was dinning at your house tonight!

Bugster2

Bugster2

Gosh! Green Goddess dressing. I forgot about that one. I think I am going to have to buy a bottle.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Gosh! Green Goddess dressing. I forgot about that one. I think I am going to have to buy a bottle.
Embarassed

Brian's friend, Jimmy, who occasionally visits us from the Cape, loves Green Goddess dressing. He says he can't find it there anymore so the last time he was here, he bought about a half-dozen bottles to take home in his luggage.

I'm sure I must've tasted it many years ago but I cannot for the life of me recall what it tastes like. I'm so used to vinaigrette style dressings that I can't remember the last time I had a mayo- or sour cream based salad dressing. I used to love bleu cheese dressing and also creamy Italian.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth, your composed salad looks absolutely divine -- like a picture I'd see in a magazine. There's something about a beautiful salad that makes my mouth water. In this heat, yours looks soooo good!

I, too, wish I'd been eating at your house the night you made that.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 17]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum